Quantcast
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60? - Page 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
It's all a matter of taste.. I quickly sold my Juno 106 and replaced it with a JX8P.

For strings and bass .. it ran circles around the 106.
What?? I absolutely hated my jx8p. Terrible interface, and a massive one trick pony. Strings are nice but that's it! Bass was useless for me. Slow, woolly, lazy sounding synth imo. I'd rather have one j106 than 50 jx8ps!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➡️

MKS-70 and 8P have long gone here. I don't like their filter and I don't like their general tone, for bass they were not what I'd call good (they may have a bassy low end like EQ but the actual sounds you get are sluggish and boomy - not really what I think of for synth bass)

My sentiments exactly.
Old 28th June 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I agree with most of your sentiments ... JX8P ain't so fun to use. But results are results.

Where as the JX8P might leave a stain on your brain. The 106 is totally forgettable.
Old 28th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I bought 3 Juno 106 within 2 months. I fell in love with it's sound. It was my first "vintage" poly. I then bought a PolySix, and I didn't like it as much. The 106 literally has no weak spots imo. Everything it does, it does so beautifully. The sound is exactly what I like. **** I have work to do and now I have a gear boner.
Old 28th June 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Wtf? 3?

Only had one other analog?
Old 28th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Juno-106 = sound of 90's electronic dance music.
Juno-60 = sound of vintage analog synth.

106 was in most studios when hardware was still used. Never seen 6 or 60 in dance music studio. 6/60 was more for rock/indie ppl.
Old 28th June 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
"When hardware was still used"

hahaha... OK guys. I'm outta here.
Have fun with your 106's
Old 28th June 2015
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Soundwise I prefere the 60 over the 106 - it has this early 80s sound that is more lifely than the 106. Put in the Minerva kit to get it up to date with MIDI an so.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvS ➡️
The Juno-106 is better at not having an arpeggiator.
It's interesting that the 106 lost the arpeggiator and gained portamento. This is something Roland in the past had done when making a rack version of a synth. It's like the 106 started life as a rack 60 and then was turned into a full keyboard. Very noticeable that there was no rack equivalent to the Juno 6/60. Even the JX-3p reappeared in rack format (MKS-30).

** and yes, I'm aware that the MKS-7 is a rack 106 of sorts.
Old 29th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by El-Burrito ➡️

106 was in most studios when hardware was still used. Never seen 6 or 60 in dance music studio. 6/60 was more for rock/indie ppl.
I would say that the Juno-60 = the sound of Synthpop. Just look at the huge list of artists on the Wikipedia page.
Old 29th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

the reason the 106 was everywhre and on everything issimple - very excellent entry level syth at a modest price and it has MIDI.

the Juno 60 was well represented in 90's dance music, you just had to know about it and have a DCB interface.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➡️
Wtf? 3?

Only had one other analog?
? not sure what u mean. i had like 8 other analogs.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 ➡️
the reason the 106 was everywhre and on everything issimple - very excellent entry level syth at a modest price and it has MIDI.
Exactly! There was also 60's around but ppl preferred 106's for ease of use. If there would have been big difference in sound/features then 60's would have been more used. The whole DCO vs. VCO circle jerking is a by product of online forums. Back in the day we just made music.

Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel
"When hardware was still used"

hahaha... OK guys. I'm outta here.
Have fun with your 106's
Hardware studios are niche these days. Like vinyl. Some people still listen vinyl, most don't. Same applies to analog synths.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Hardware studios are niche these days. Like vinyl. Some people still listen vinyl, most don't. Same applies to analog synths.
i think people who are invested in making music have hardware because they realize software can only take them so far. i have friends who started buying gear recently who have been ITB since they started. when i ask them why they are getting hardware, they all say basically the same thing... it gets boring sitting in front of a computer, the hardware lets them just turn on some gear and have fun.

damn, music is fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by blinky909 ➡️
i think people who are invested in making music have hardware because they realize software can only take them so far. i have friends who started buying gear recently who have been ITB since they started. when i ask them why they are getting hardware, they all say basically the same thing... it gets boring sitting in front of a computer, the hardware lets them just turn on some gear and have fun.

damn, music is fun.
It's opposite with ppl who have been in the game longer. Me or anyone i know does not use hardware anymore. Collectively we own huge amount of vintage analog synths and outboard, but we use none. Ok, almost none. Someone just put two 106's to our synth rack to try out true-stero Juno sounds.

Everybody i know who has new analog synths are the ones who has just started.

I had to live trough the 100% hardware age, i have zero nostalgia towards those days. It was age of PITA :D I love ITB. It has made my living so easy. Can't tell difference of OTB vs ITB in real world. Or can, but difference is too small to bother.

I did get my Moog The Source just fixed so i could test is it really the first synth to have parameter lock :D
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's opposite with ppl who have been in the game longer. Me or anyone i know does not use hardware anymore. Collectively we own huge amount of vintage analog synths and outboard, but we use none. Ok, almost none. Someone just put two 106's to our synth rack to try out true-stero Juno sounds.

I had to live trough the 100% hardware age, i have zero nostalgia towards those days. It was age of PITA :D I love ITB. It has made my living so easy. Can't tell difference of OTB vs ITB in real world. Or can, but difference is too small to bother.
Absolutely opinionated load of BS! Just cos the people you know prefer to work with software that doesn't include the whole damn world! I know plenty of 'pros' who not only still use old hardware but also buy new hardware. Guess what? they are musicians, they love instruments, just like guitarists do. Not only that but hardware does/can sound different to software and if your music is fine being all software then go for it but don't claim anyone who uses hardware is some kinda newb-muppet.

Furthermore if you've been 'in the game longer' it means nothing other than you wanted a change/were fed up of how you worked and wanted a new way of working to keep things fresh. I find little difference in productivity speed between using well set up hardware or soft synths, in fact I give the nod to hardware as I play it live into the DAW like a tape recorder, vs recording MIDI as I'd have to with a soft synth/controller then convert that to audio (as I mix audio not midi). Doesn't mean those that didn't have hardware/weren't making pro level music in the 80s or early 90s can't do exactly as you did back in the day. I think this is a psychological thing rather than a valid reason (to shed hardware for the sake of it).

Quote:
Exactly! There was also 60's around but ppl preferred 106's for ease of use. If there would have been big difference in sound/features then 60's would have been more used. The whole DCO vs. VCO circle jerking is a by product of online forums. Back in the day we just made music.
FYI all the Junos have DCOs. How many more times are people going to keep saying the 6/60 had VCOs? It even says DCO on the panel for those that might hate old hardware (due to over-exposure and being jaded old nutters), just to check, you know before binning it and going to massive and making generic, vapid tosh with the rest of the laptop jockeys!

Last edited by Pro5; 29th June 2015 at 03:28 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

It's opposite with ppl who have been in the game longer.
Bull****.

Quote:

Me or anyone i know does not use hardware anymore.
Sad.

Quote:

Ridiculous!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

I know plenty of 'pros' who not only still use old hardware but also buy new hardware. Guess what? they are musicians, they love instruments, just like guitarists do.

^^^ I was going to say this but you beat me to it

Keyboardists (like myself) like to turn on an instrument and just PLAY. No booting up a computer, etc. We also like to occasionally play live gigs with real instruments.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➡️
^^^ I was going to say this but you beat me to it

Keyboardists (like myself) like to turn on an instrument and just PLAY. No booting up a computer, etc. We also like to occasionally play live gigs with real instruments.
Exactly, I just don't get that kind of thinking! Maybe as a pure producer or something but musicians are being marginalised enough in modern times (where music is almost treated like it should be a free commodity in the eyes of the world) so there's plenty of reason (and rhyme) to want to remind ourselves we are musicians primarily and computer engineers somewhere further down the scale.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Exactly, I just don't get that kind of thinking! Maybe as a pure producer or something but musicians are being marginalised enough in modern times (where music is almost treated like it should be a free commodity in the eyes of the world) so there's plenty of reason (and rhyme) to want to remind ourselves we are musicians primarily and computer engineers somewhere further down the scale.
they are limited to the world they see/know.

it's interesting that as an electronic musician i wear many hats... from musician to recording engineer to producer. the last thing i want to do is play "computer engineer" in my studio... that's my day job!
Old 30th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Absolutely opinionated load of BS! Just cos the people you know prefer to work with software that doesn't include the whole damn world!
nope. I can make a bet that 90-95% ppl who make electronic music does not use analog synths. Very small % of those are keyboardists. You dont seem to understand how many million "producers" there is in 2015. There might be more "edm" producers only in India+Brazil+China than there is analog synths in the world.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
nope. I can make a bet that 90-95% ppl who make electronic music does not use analog synths. Very small % of those are keyboardists. You dont seem to understand how many million "producers" there is in 2015. There might be more "edm" producers only in India+Brazil+China than there is analog synths in the world.
Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about proper music with real instruments, often bands or solo players who are multi instrumentalists. Now you've pointed out you meant the plethora of generic laptop EDM out there I see you are completely correct!

However, I was talking about musicians, not 'edm producers', and studios that record bands, rock, alternative, pop, synth pop all those other genres that are not EDM or anything that really calls for nothing but a cracked copy of Massive and a baseball cap.

If you are talking ratios - that's a different matter no? of course MORE people are going to be software based, it's easy, it's cheap, and the majority of 'producers' are not keyboard players or musicians in the traditional sense, as you've pointed out, but that doesn't mean that those who are musicans/keyboard players are noobs to the industry or bedroom bandits just because they still enjoy/desire to actually PLAY a hardware instrument and especially who get a creative/inspirational buzz (rational or otherwise) from great sounding analog synths.

I'm well aware there's masses of (esp EDM) artists out there working totally ITB and I have nothing against that, but what does that have to do again with the hyperbolic statement you made that nobody uses real hardware these days unless they are naive/newcommers?

Anyway.. nevermind.

Last edited by Pro5; 30th June 2015 at 02:13 AM..
Old 30th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
i'm not a musician but i use hardware. i write mainly IDM. maybe i should drop an E and get my ballcap on

sitting here listening to early Autechre and how they use a Juno 106, its just amazing. good luck doing that with a softsynth. the tactile interface is what makes a synth come alive, even for a non-musician such as my self.
Love the Juno 60, Juno 106, JX8P and so on.

They are all great synths and have some things they do different from each.

JX8P is not a pain to use. Just think when the discussion happens it should be about it with the programmer. Saying it is hard to use should be only mentioned without but even to that it is a choice of the buyer not to buy the programmer so I find arguments about it being a pain to use not valid. The solution is there..the programmer.

Not like owning something you can't use with a programmer such as a SX240. Then there would be a valid complaint but because one chooses to not buy the programmer then complains about it being a pain in the arse is totally an off the wall comment in my opinion.

To answer the OP's starting question, I think the bass on the Juno 106 is great! Not better than a Juno 60 bass just different. People who say a Juno 60 bass is better are just saying a subjective opinion. They both sound great but pretty different, no one is better than the other.
Old 30th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Juno 6 and 60 sound MUCH clearer. this makes them feel more full range and 'punchy' as noted before. the J106 has always sounded gritty and messy to me. like the voices are smashed through the output amps...
and the chorus doesn't help either...

if i want grit i'll use a crumar Bit 01...

I did a write up of my 'opinions' with chip comparisons here:

https://xbs111.wordpress.com/2013/08...r-comparisons/

z
Quote:

I did get my Moog The Source just fixed so i could test is it really the first synth to have parameter lock :D
For the sake of a followup ...

What kind of music do they make?
Are they players or programmers?
Does it work for them? Meaning is there music exciting fresh expressive?
Does their music sell?
Do you have any links to their work?
Does their stuff sound good? Rich harmonics in the music or simple patches?

This would be a nice study.
Old 4th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➡️
I've owned the 106... only got rid of [it] when I had the chance to buy a Jupiter-4.
Rob - I did exactly the reverse, i.e. sold a Jupiter 4 to fund a Juno 106!

Cue lots of these from the Analog High Council:

Now, do I miss the raw insanity, arp and fatness of the Jupiter - you betcha! But equally, the 106 has been integral to my sound for 20 years, and I could never have afforded it at the time without the JP4 sale.

Obviously if I could go back I would never have let the JP4 go, but it was Sophie's Choice for a broke 20-something back then. :(
Old 4th July 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➡️
Rob - I did exactly the reverse, i.e. sold a Jupiter 4 to fund a Juno 106!

Cue lots of these from the Analog High Council:

Now, do I miss the raw insanity, arp and fatness of the Jupiter - you betcha! But equally, the 106 has been integral to my sound for 20 years, and I could never have afforded it at the time without the JP4 sale.

Obviously if I could go back I would never have let the JP4 go, but it was Sophie's Choice for a broke 20-something back then. :(
Horses for courses. An instrument is only an instrument if someone is playing it, IMO. Otherwise it's furniture. I find the best music comes from a musician having to compromise and work around the limitations of what's practical and economical for them to own and carry to gigs. In the early days of Depeche Mode Vince Clarke says that they used to walk to or take the trains to gigs carrying their instruments -- and he was the one unlucky enough to be playing the JP-4!

The trend today seems to be that people have less confidence in their abilities as musicians and attempt to bury that insecurity in gear. I've seen guitar players fret (no pun intended) for hours rearranging their pedals and fudging with power supplies and not play a single note other than ones to test the pedals. It seems like people learn songs only so they don't look like idiots when they are testing gear at the local music store. When the music industry labels someone going 'unplugged' as new, innovative and daring you have to wonder how did it get so bad in the first place?

If every musician could equally afford the best gear we'd have more museums than bands.
Old 4th July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Well apart from Mr Fingers composing all his seminal early tracks on a 6.
Old 5th July 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Well.. he did say 90's
📝 Reply