Quantcast
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60? - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Anything a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?
Old 26th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by R3Member ➑️
I've turned it into this Satanic version of Pee-Wee's playhouse filled with lava lamps, mannequins, weird vintage oddities I find at thrift stores, an absinthe themed minibar, etc. I even keep a theremin in my living room with a bunch of dental plasters I found set on it. Creeps out every guest I invite over, haha.
We were probably separated at birth.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Ruff ➑️
Of course they can make the same sound--they are identical in terms of architecture. The demo I posted showed that very clearly. These aren't complicated synths--they are probably the simplest polyphonics out there, so your "sonic possibilities" are pretty dang limited to being with.

If you prefer the tone on one to the other that's one thing, and I agree there is some tonal difference, especially in terms of the sub-oscillator, but let's get over the "each is capable of doing different sound" semantics--it just perpetuates mis-information. A pad/bass/string sound on a juno 60 compared to a 106 is going to virtually the same when compared to virtually any other polyphonic analog.
Not exactly true. One thing unique on the Juno-60 which was removed on the Juno-106 is being able to control PWM with an envelope. That might not seem like a big feature, but it does lead to a different set of tones. It sort of has this weird, fake "sync" type sound to it.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 0ea68bb ➑️
-it just perpetuates mis-information.
Hmmm. Someone is perpetuating misinformation, and I think it's more likely the guy who hasn't had both in front of him at once like some of us have who has to resort to badly set up YouTube demos as some kind of evidence to the contary of what owners, with zero reason for bias, claim.. maybe?

Deleted 0ea68bb
Quote:
Not exactly true. One thing unique on the Juno-60 which was removed on the Juno-106 is being able to control PWM with an envelope. That might not seem like a big feature, but it does lead to a different set of tones. It sort of has this weird, fake "sync" type sound to it.
Right, I should have included that caveat. That's a definitely useful feature. Not one that affects the overall inherent sound however.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
Hmmm. Someone is perpetuating misinformation, and I think it's more likely the guy who hasn't had both in front of him at once like some of us have who has to resort to badly set up YouTube demos as some kind of evidence to the contary of what owners, with zero reason for bias, claim.. maybe?
You're right, I don't have both here in front of me. But I have had innumerable 6s/60s and know the sound well. I also know the Juno-106 well.

My overall point is that the differences people are claiming between these are FAR smaller than the similarities--is this a GS thing, to overblow the smallest differences in order to justify owning both? I don't know. But what I do know is that we're not talking about the OB-8 vs. OB-Xa, or even the alpha junos vs. the junos. We are talking about intrinsically similar machines--it's disingenuous to make claims about one having little overlap with the other.

Last edited by Deleted 0ea68bb; 26th June 2015 at 09:48 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm once again gonna bow out now
Promise?
Old 26th June 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
106 has much better strings IMO
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The thing I think about is what advantages are there between a Minerva 60 compared to a kiwi 106? I think those upgrades decrease the differences between the synths further. I sold my 106 to get a Minerva 60 and it's great, but I'll have to live with it longer to tell if that was really the right move. (With a nod of understanding that the 106 has a slightly more modern glassy sort of sound that worked well for the music I make).
Old 27th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Have owned all 5ne junos. My take...

The 60 is by far my favorite: strongest sound, amazing chorus, great bass and strings. Raw and biting. Patch memory vx the 6. Easy to get a Kenton box to midify.
And the arp is killer.

The alpha is my second fave: more complex, love the chord memory. Goes brilliantly with the 60.

The 106 sounded a bit feeble to me in comparison to the 60 and not as capable at the alpha. And more prone to flaking out.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
These are mine.

For me - 106 is the best sounding synth ever. If you do pop songs or retro 80s as me, the 106 is your choice β„–1!!!
Ju60 I use mostly as a bass synth, It's a nice synth but to me it hasn't that magic that the Juno 106 has.
Attached Thumbnails
Anything  a Juno 106 is better at than the juno 60?-img_6662.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Lehmann ➑️
But the clip would appear to illustrate the snappier attack of the Juno 60 that a lot of people refer to, the raw tone being indeed very similar.
That's because the Juno-60 still had hardware envelopes using the same IR3R01 EG chips as the JP-8. The Juno-106 envelopes are in software.

To me the advantages of the 6/60 in my experience (I have owned all the Juno line for 20+ years) -

- Hardware EGs.

- EG control of PWM.

- Ability to turn on both chorus circuits at the same time (nice tremelo effect for certain patches like EPs).

- Arpeggiator with analog trigger input.

- Filter CV input jack.

- More reliable/faster action keybed.

- MUCH better reliability compared to the 106 (no failure-prone 80017A chips). This is probably most important of all.

- I personally like the sound of the 6/60 better.

- Availability of reasonably priced advanced update (Tubbutec-66)

Last edited by dougt; 27th June 2015 at 12:51 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpsiegel ➑️
The V2 Kiwi 106 firmware supports using sequencer tracks to control various parameters on the synth. This is unbelievably powerful obviously and a huge leap forward in functionality of this already great mod. I would say that makes it superior to anything available currently on a Juno 60.
The Tubbutec-66 lets you have 3 detuned oscs per voice (and hopefully soon a 2-osc per voice mode). Last I looked at the Kiwi it only had the single osc per voice and a monophonic unison mode. That's a big advantage to me. The Kiwi is also in the $400 range (about double the price)...
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SidneySheldon ➑️
These are mine.

For me - 106 is the best sounding synth ever. If you do pop songs or retro 80s as me, the 106 is your choice β„–1!!!
Ju60 I use mostly as a bass synth, It's a nice synth but to me it hasn't that magic that the Juno 106 has.
I agree!!

I've found the 106 bass to be a bit rounder and a bit ballsier to me, especially with the boost you get setting the hpf to 0. The 106 and 60 are similar bass wise when the hpf is at 1 (like that comparison video) but switch it to 0 and it feels like it edges out the 60 in terms of weight, although the 60 has that snappy punchier sound with the envelopes. But thats me. ymmv.

Last edited by BenDayho; 27th June 2015 at 03:40 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Hey, nothing wrong with Ikea furniture. I shop there all the time and my whole house has this weird retro Industrial design/Art Decco look it to. I don't have any kids or pets to screw up my place, so I've turned it into this Satanic version of Pee-Wee's playhouse filled with lava lamps, mannequins, weird vintage oddities I find at thrift stores, an absinthe themed minibar, etc. I even keep a theremin in my living room with a bunch of dental plasters I found set on it. Creeps out every guest I invite over, haha.
I like your approach Combine Ikea style with designs by Raffaele Iannello and your guests will appreciate your delicate taste
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CfNorENa ➑️
Promise?
Is that all you can do (again)? you are so one-dimensional. get a life

Entering threads just to get off on hounding a specific user (which you've done a few times to me now) is pretty damned childish don't you think? Do you have anything to contribute to the debate or are you just gonna take cheap shots from a safe distance for the rest of your days? Be brave man, actually contribute don't just be that playground bully that everyone knows has some kind of personal issue and insecurity problem going on, K?

BTW Admin > why when you have someone on ignore does it show you as being quoted by them in the forum overview? a bit of an oversight perhaps! If someone is on ignore I don't want to hear from them, see their name and especially be informed that they've quoted me. Then again if I didn't like someone on here I also wouldn't go around quoting them and trying to look clever (childish) by seeing how many thumbs up I can get with a one liner - so I suppose usage differs on here

https://gearspace.com/board/11148280-post574.html

See post above for others who KNOW the 60/106 have different and tangible strengths. My first real synth in the 90s was the Juno 6, and the 60 was fun to use for a while (and has a great build). Overall I found the 106 was not just the Juno I was looking for all along, but also the simple poly analog I was looking for! It's a great machine and a great instrument and that's what matters!

Last edited by Pro5; 27th June 2015 at 02:07 PM..
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
These are mine.

Something we CAN agree on

It's exactly what I was saying, both great synths but the 60 is a more specific synth for a type of usage and doesn't naturally excel in other areas while the 106 does, and yes to me, my ears and in my music, the 106 delivers where so many other poly-analogs (see sig) have failed.

Last edited by Pro5; 27th June 2015 at 02:03 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Something we CAN agree on

It's exactly what I was saying, both great synths but the 60 is a more specific synth for a type of usage and doesn't naturally excel in other areas while the 106 does, and yes to me, my ears and in my music, the 106 delivers where so many other poly-analogs (see sig) have failed.
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Juno 106 is better at being cheaper to buy than the Juno 60.

(Only half kidding there)

Before add on kits opened up both synths to nearly identical feature sets the 106 edged out over the 60 during the 90's becauce of one thing: MIDI. If you couldn't afford an MKS-80 the Juno 106 was your next best choice. That is, if you could find one with good chips.

Those massive basses you hear on Madonna's Ray of Light? (well massive for 1998, anyway)

Juno 106, likely fed through an MS-20 with the HPF resonance cranked. He used the 106 because it was inexpensive, could be digitally controlled (not just notes but other parameters as well).
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
... the 106 can have that sound but more besides and its slightly more laid back, smoother and sometimes angelic (vs robotic on the 60) tone is perfect for most music, it has texture and class but doesn't hit you over the head with it.
agree

Quote:
... the 106 feels like a proper instrument all round. VERY playable by comparison and the sounds it makes, not being as dusty/in your face as the 60, is why it is so useful for music. I also think it sounds far sweeter (nicer) and smoother than the 60 ever did.
exactly how I feel about the 106.

I appreciate the great qualities in the sound of the Juno60 but I'm also in the camp that prefer by far the sound of the Juno106.
If I want fast envelopes and raw sound a la Juno 60 I can use other things, but the Juno106 is pure musical beauty and I don't know any other alternatives to it.

chrissugar
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Ocelot ➑️
Juno 106 is better at being cheaper to buy than the Juno 60.

(Only half kidding there)
I can buy literally any instrument I see, I got almost everything, I prefer the 106 to any other synth most of the time.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrissugar ➑️
exactly how I feel about the 106.

I appreciate the great qualities in the sound of the Juno60 but I'm also in the camp that prefer by far the sound of the Juno106.
If I want fast envelopes and raw sound a la Juno 60 I can use other things, but the Juno106 is pure musical beauty and I don't know any other alternatives to it.
Yeah, well I've tried many of its peers and never found anything that sounds quite as nice or suitable for what I need it for. Inc every other DCO roland there is. This is the best DCO roland for me!

Quote:
I can buy literally any instrument I see, I got almost everything, I prefer the 106 to any other synth most of the time.
Same. And I don't care about 'massive basses' that's not what I'd use it for anyway. I use a real bass guitar 9/10 for my bass so.. err??

It's everything else it does on top that =

anyway, each to their own. I'm happy with it, moreso than I ever was with the 6/60 or the alphas (or the JX's) all of which I've had, used and liked/loved at certain points - and that's all I care about really.

Old 27th June 2015
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
It's all a matter of taste.. I quickly sold my Juno 106 and replaced it with a JX8P.

For strings and bass .. it ran circles around the 106.
Old 27th June 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've owned the JU6, 60, and 106 (no alphas though!) and enjoyed them for what they were. Only got rid of them when I had the chance to buy a Jupiter-4, which is a completely different animal in some respects. Still miss the straightforwardness of the Juno's though. Easy to dial in the sounds without too much thought, which is why in many respects I miss the Juno 6 the most. Patch memories are nice but really aren't all that necessary and IMO the Juno-6 has a more useful HPF (similar to the Jupiter-4's actually).
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound_forward ➑️
They sound very different.
#1 answer to 'better' questions.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️
It's all a matter of taste.. I quickly sold my Juno 106 and replaced it with a JX8P.

the jx's all sort of have a different flavor then the juno's (althought similar to the alphas maybe?). Filter is quite different, relatively speaking. Its a bit softer, prolly what makes it great for strings. Although you could tweak a trimpot on the jx3p and get it to be a bit more rezzy? not really the right word.

Ultimately wasn't for me, but definitely comes down to taste. I think I would prefer to combo either the 60/106 with one of the jx or alpha's then combo 60 and a 106.

That being said 106 ui beats jx's anyday.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djugel ➑️

I quickly sold my Juno 106 and replaced it with a JX8P.

Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but a JX-8P running circles around a Juno-106 when it comes to bass? That's just crazy talk!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I'd suggest my recapped and calibrated 60 is closer to a 106 than one that hasn't seen service in some time.

Now it would be a convenience if my old 106 patches could just be loaded up on the 60 since it has Minerva installed.
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
Everybody's entitled to their opinion, but a JX-8P running circles around a Juno-106 when it comes to bass? That's just crazy talk!
I like my bass funky and cutting... JX8P has velocity and cross-mod.. great for the funk.
For the more simple analog bass sounds... Juno 6/60 all the way.

These days I prefer the Akai AX-80 for bass...
Old 28th June 2015
AvS
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Juno-106 is better at not having an arpeggiator.
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
the 106 can generate a nice rubbery midrangy and very direct and cutting through tone which no other roland poly can achieve (the nearest sh101 but mono) compared to the juno60 there seems to be an emphasis on 100hz and 2-3 khz, my guess...
Old 28th June 2015 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Wozniak ➑️
Agreed. MKS-70 and 8P have long gone here. I don't like their filter and I don't like their general tone, for bass they were not what I'd call good (they may have a bassy low end like EQ but the actual sounds you get are sluggish and boomy - not really what I think of for synth bass), and for pads they had one variation on soundtrack and high strings that was decent, the freshness, vibrancy and tone of the 106 or any of the first 3 junos in fact just sounds better than the 8P/10. So yeah it is a matter of tastes. 8P was one of my least favourite synths I ever owned or used, its sound sets my teeth on edge - very non Roland

As for AX-80? I'll agree it's much MUCH better for bass than the 8P so no wonder that poster prefers it (however as an overall synth I prefered the 3P and the 106 to the AX-80 as it had a very rough/hard sound in most cases, but yes a good bass - less rounded and warm than the juno 60 though,- I think I have a few random examples of when I owned an AX-80 in my soundcloud link at the bottom.. it's not so musically appealing to me but it sure looked nice!) Saying this, I still prefer the actual sound of the bass from a juno 60/106 over the AX.

Alpha juno was actually better for bass than the 8P, it too has velocity to filter for the more 'funky' style and while it has the same filter as the 8P the osc (albeit single + sub) sounded less wooden too. (yes I said wooden... combine wooden oscs with plastic filter and that is what the later JX's sound like to me - 3P is a different beast, it has guts)

And again the idea of 'bass' will differ from user to user, clearly the 6/60 has the fast attack that's needed for a certain type of bouncing/simple bass - but the 106's bass is a slightly different flavour and every bit as useful, gated bass for example sounds better to me on the 106 (think subby saw sound with fast on/off - there's more low end there thanks possibly to the built in bass boost) but if you compare the bouncy rounded juno style bass the 6/60 has a bit more weight and punch while the 106 sounds lovely anyway it's a different style of bass (kinda half way between juno 60 and JX-3P style).

Overall I prefer the 106 sound for bass, leads, pads, stabs and PWM stuff (drones/pads and especially short decay med release harp style). I think that's the key to the 106's greatness, that it can sound so good in all those areas vs just excelling in one or two like the JX's and the early Junos. And it does them all while never sounding bad, or dull or digital, and unlike the alphas (which are technically even more flexible) it retains character and weight/presence, it can stand out or sit back in the mix as much as you like. It's just very musical and easy to work with for recording.

And it also takes to effects very well, I wonder if people who've never loved the early junos ever used them through effects (how they are meant to be used) they sound like the most epic synths on the planet at times, and no the same doesn't apply to just any synth put through effects, obviously all simple analogs are enhanced when effected but something in the combo of those early DCOs and the IR3109 in the 106 manages to retain the character while applying effects. Lots of what people call more advanced synths (esp digital) have built in effects, they are mostly hearing the effects not the quality of the basic tone but if you apply the same effects to a great sounding analog synth then you'll get just as impressive a sound but with more weight and character (I know people know this but am restating it for those that never use them with outboard/plug in effects as its kinda important to put things on a level playing field when comparing a simple analog to a VA or whatever). And when you do this, when you compare what a 'simple but great sounding' synth can do (with effects) it's night/day vs harsh sounding advanced analogs or colder digital.

Last edited by Pro5; 28th June 2015 at 12:52 PM..
πŸ“ Reply