Quantcast
are there "must have"/classic outboard effect units used in edm? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
are there "must have"/classic outboard effect units used in edm?
Old 29th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
are there "must have"/classic outboard effect units used in edm?

I'm not deeply into electronic music but i'm curious since i love some old stuff from the 90s, are there any effect units (of any kind) that got used again and again just like the old analog synths?
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
roland space echo
lexicon reverbs
sherman filterbank
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
eventide harmonizer for the glitchier stuff.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
anything goes.
anything that
a. grooves for the hell of it
b. is fresh/awesome sounding and awesome

It should fit the idea that you want to realise.
I'd like an Eventide too. heh
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Ensoniq DP-2, 4, 4+, Pro.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
anything goes.
Yes.
I can't think of anything that is a common effect across 80's/90's dance music.
The scene was too diverse - home studios, regular studios, American producers, European producers.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Yes.
The scene was too diverse - home studios, regular studios, American producers, European producers.
Yes i gave exactly that a thought but i couldnt hit on anythign either, thats why i opened this thread. There doesn't seem to be something like for example the 909 of the fx world. Something you would hear in detroit techno but also deephouse tracks from back then.
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A thumbs up for the "anything goes" thing. This may sound crazy, but I am a still a big fan of the Alesis MIDI verb II and III. Nothing jaw dropping, but I still use them today for outboard effects like stereo delays and a chorus or flanger every now and then. The old Lexicon LXP-5 half rack is still popular because it's reverb is just amazing, still a little pricey these days. The Ensoniq DP-4 is a good bang for the buck and was used extensively thoughout the 90's.

I remember reading somewhere that the same person that designed the LXP-5 also designed the Ensoniq DP-4 and the ground breaking effects unit inside the Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler, which is equally amazing. If anyone can shed some light on that, it would be awesome.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisso ➑️
Yes.

Gating pads in time with the music.... Usually 2 short bursts and one double time.... heh

alexP
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➑️
Gating pads in time with the music.... Usually 2 short bursts and one double time.... heh

alexP
HAHAHAHAHAHA!!!thumbsup
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'd like an Eventide too. heh
I second that!

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
that new Eventide pedal looks handy. even the boring effects sound useful

Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
A thumbs up for the "anything goes" thing. This may sound crazy, but I am a still a big fan of the Alesis MIDI verb II and III. Nothing jaw dropping, but I still use them today for outboard effects like stereo delays and a chorus or flanger every now and then. The old Lexicon LXP-5 half rack is still popular because it's reverb is just amazing, still a little pricey these days. The Ensoniq DP-4 is a good bang for the buck and was used extensively thoughout the 90's.

I remember reading somewhere that the same person that designed the LXP-5 also designed the Ensoniq DP-4 and the ground breaking effects unit inside the Ensoniq ASR-10 sampler, which is equally amazing. If anyone can shed some light on that, it would be awesome.
isn't that the same one as in the Fizmo? same family of circuits?
Quote:
Originally, Fizmo was referred to as PHYS-MO. Bill Mauchly (Ensoniq Chief Scientist) and I were talking about developing a synthesizer around a chip called the OTTO-FX which combined the ASR-10 Synth Engine and Effects Engine on one piece of silicon.
Shimamoto Sound- Recording Studio Philadelphia and Record Label Philly
Sonikmatter: Music + Mind + Technology
Old 30th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don't forget distortion.
Any distortion fx. Pedals, racks...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by msl ➑️
I second that!
and i'll third it
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
In general, it's harder to come by a list of effects used for a recording than a list of synths. If the group tracked at a studio, they used whatever was there that the recording engineer decided to throw on.
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Sherman filterbanks
Eventide H7600 / H8000
Mutronics Mutator
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Awesome, those are some great links Reptil, thank you so much. Interesting article on Transwave Technology, I didn't know the Fizmo used that. I actually have a Transwave CD-ROM for my ASR-10, it's based on taking a small short 1/2 sec sample and repeating it at high speed to make a sound.

Gettingback to the topic, many studios used to use the Roland Dimensional Space Delay SDE-330, widely used in the 90's.
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
As far as fx as such other than brands, I think the overwhelming effect used in 90's dance music has to be delay.
I've got a lot of tracks I still listen to on iPod and there's always a ton of stereo or mono delays on the synth parts.
If you wanted to recreate that era, I think you would only need a compressor, a gate (or else the audio input on a synth), an outboard filter (or thru the synth as just mentioned), a digital stereo delay (like the Roland just mentioned) and a trashy mono delay.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➑️
...snip...I actually have a Transwave CD-ROM for my ASR-10, it's based on taking a small short 1/2 sec sample and repeating it at high speed to make a sound.
...snip...
sounds mega cool! you can load that as oscillator? wow (don't know much about the ARS-10 myself heh)

look at this! HAHAHA YouTube - Ensoniq ASR-10 Video Manual

I think that the cheaper stuff (not big lexicons or eventides) was used a lot more, Rolands, Ensoniq DP4 seen those a few times.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Pioneer EFX-500's effects were popular back then...
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
sounds mega cool! you can load that as oscillator? wow (don't know much about the ARS-10 myself heh)

look at this! HAHAHA YouTube - Ensoniq ASR-10 Video Manual

I think that the cheaper stuff (not big lexicons or eventides) was used a lot more, Rolands, Ensoniq DP4 seen those a few times.
Hehe, I had the whole series for the EPS( not the 16+) from that guy when that board first came out.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Boss SE50 and SE70
Alesis Quadraverb
Yamaha spx90
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
depends by genre to genre.

industrial was all about crappy guitar distortion pedals on the vocals.
early techno and house used alot of phaser and then delay on keyboard parts.
noise gate was probably the most prevalent effect back then due to all the project studio releases and low end noisy gear.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Thanks alot for all the suggestions so far, this is really interesting and i'll be picking up some cheaper units just for the fun of it.

If i might move this a little into direction:

I'm especially interested in stuff like Carl Craig (69) and Moodyman aka Kenny Dixon Jr.. Just to define the 2 genres i'm after.

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by chris_m ➑️
..snip...
If i might move this a little into direction:

I'm especially interested in stuff like Carl Craig (69) and Moodyman aka Kenny Dixon Jr.. Just to define the 2 genres i'm after.
I'll have a look if I can find anything later. I know Carl Craig after 2001 used an Xtramix, and now uses a fat Neve. I had a talk with him, some time ago, but he kept his mouth shut about his setup.
They usually do. heh
πŸ“ Reply