Programming Sweeps / Transition FX - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Programming Sweeps / Transition FX
Old 28th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Programming Sweeps / Transition FX

Hello

I've been trying to program some sweep type sounds and transition FX to use in songs at logical 8/16/32 bar transition points. Like a big sound to come in or out of a breakdown. I also do some radio production and need to create similar sounds to use there. I've been messing around A LOT in Reason, ProTools, Logic, etc. I only have the built in synths on those programs and a JP-8080. So far, I have been using white noise sweeps with filter envelopes and self-osc filters sweeping and also trying to layer samples in a sampler and use that as a trigger for a huge reverb or delay.

The problem I am having specifically is that I find that white noise always sounds the same.... I need something that has more interesting character / content, but without being so tonally specific / harmonic that it begins to conflict with the musical elements of the song. I need to keep it neutral.

I was thinking about experimenting with FM synthesis more and making "bell" type sounds that have harmonic elements, but ones that are more random. Can anyone provide any insight of some tips and tricks for this type of stuff? Much appreciated.
Old 29th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aof21 ➑️
The problem I am having specifically is that I find that white noise always sounds the same.... I need something that has more interesting character / content, but without being so tonally specific / harmonic that it begins to conflict with the musical elements of the song. I need to keep it neutral.
Use other noise colors - use FX (especially phasers) and panning.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Try distorting a pad you like... a happy bright one or an evil creepy one.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try layering if one layer isn't too interesting it might hold up when presented with another. Maybe think about sweeping filters over found sounds like a steam iron or crashing wave, or heavy rain? Maybe applying reverse reverb could add something.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
thanks

thanks for the replies! have already tried most of the above, except distorting a pad. another question / idea to keep it going.....

I find I don't like the overly phasered / chorused sound, so I've been trying to not go too nuts with the "modulation effects"...

also I'm definitely thinking that distortion is key, but I don't want it to sound like cruncy aggressive guitar distorted. any tips on eq / distortion / other effect settings in Reason or Pro Tools that might work well for this type of application? Or any ideas on what types of waves / synthesis to start with as a sound source? I know I have to experiment on my own here, but I've been doing that for weeks and feel like I'm hitting a bit of a "writers block" here, so I appreciate the help!
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
they key so things like this are bouncing with the effect in place (resampling), then trying another pass with more effects. then another. LOTS of automation, and multiple passes with different effects.
filters are key. also reversing on some passes as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ok - here's something that might not be obvious -

when you hear a huge rise that lasts for 64 bars and so on, chances are that its actaually made from several components -

there could be a drone pad at the bass adding drama
then a pitch modulated rising sound could start to add tension
then an reverse reverb/delay effect comes in for an extra dimension
then a twisted analogue sound with modulated lfo/fm sweeps in
then finally a little white noise sweep that starts off with a low pass filter and ends with a high pass sucking all the bottom out with a flanger on insert builds to the final cresendo -

stike builds like these are actaully some of the most time consuming things to do in the studio, especially when you try to incorporate the main hook of a track in to the build in a clever way stike

but when the crowd goes wild, its all worth it....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
@timmah and bleepbleep

thanks! yes exactly what you're talking about it what i'm starting to realize is necessary... the multiple passes/ resampling and the insane amount of layers / automation. and last but not least... the insane amount of time it takes to do this correctly and make something sound good! thanks!
πŸ“ Reply