Quantcast
How programmable is the Roland JX3P without the PG200 programmer? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How programmable is the Roland JX3P without the PG200 programmer?
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hi. I think i may have just figured out a trick with the JX-3P.

I seem to recall reading that you can not edit the JX-3p while in MIDI mode.

I just figured out a work around.

While your external sequencer of choice is running...flip the switch over to edit mode.

Go ahead and press write to enter edit mode. Once you do this flip the switch back over to the MIDI postiton. At first all the lights will blink and you will have one repeating note but if you proceed to chose a parameter to edit it will start playing your sequence and allow you to edit real time.

It will not allow you to save from this mode.

Last edited by sctt_stone; 14th June 2009 at 04:24 PM.. Reason: spelling.
Old 14th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Holy hell Im going to try this tonight............

Thanks Scott!

alexP
Old 18th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Did it work?

I am about to buy a JX3P and PG200 and would be sweet if this actually worked?!
Old 18th June 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Dang, I lent my PG200 to a friend to program his MKS-30, I would like to try this trick too as soon as I get my programmer back!
Old 19th June 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Popbott ➡️
Dang, I lent my PG200 to a friend to program his MKS-30, I would like to try this trick too as soon as I get my programmer back!
Quit lying! You don't have any friends!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
Quit lying! You don't have any friends!
Of course I have friends, where do you think stole all my gear from!?!?

You are my friend too.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by baikonour ➡️
the JX-10 was the last analog synth made by Roland.
Not true... the Alpha Juno Series were the last analogs, albeit DCO like the JX, made by Roland.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djpablo ➡️
Not true... the Alpha Juno Series were the last analogs, albeit DCO like the JX, made by Roland.
Not true! The Fantoms have analog outputs! heh
Old 21st July 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
hi there

does anyone know if this organix toolshed mod would allow me to use midi to synchronise the tempo of the JX3P sequencer to a drum machine with midi capability, say a korg electribe er-1?

kind of a speedbump/obstacle for me
Old 21st July 2009 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGBX ➡️
hi there

does anyone know if this organix toolshed mod would allow me to use midi to synchronise the tempo of the JX3P sequencer to a drum machine with midi capability, say a korg electribe er-1?

kind of a speedbump/obstacle for me
I dunno, but I will tell you that if all else fails, get a Kenton MIDI-CV converter and you can send clock to the sequencer from that.
Old 4th March 2013
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Found a cheap one with the PG 200.
Is there anything I need to be aware of, like dying voice chips or anything?

I dig its sound lots, will use it for stabs/pads and strings...very affordable analog poly.

What should I look out for when I go and test it?
Old 7th March 2013 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by nectarios ➡️
Found a cheap one with the PG 200.
Is there anything I need to be aware of, like dying voice chips or anything?

I dig its sound lots, will use it for stabs/pads and strings...very affordable analog poly.

What should I look out for when I go and test it?
Very reliable. Keys may need cleaning (so you may get some keys that don't work) if they are random keys and not repeating in octaves it's just a clean that's needed.

Sometimes the volume pot is crackly - common but so long as it sits somewhere without crackling you are OK (and can be fixed)

Buttons can be a bit trigger happy (or not trigger) just wear and tear and can be cleaned/replaced

Tuning nob on back of synth can be a bit worn causing it hard to tune it just right - again - see above - replace/clean easy job

You get the occasional one that locks up or puts lights on for no reason (multi patch lights etc) but usually just a lose connector inside. Good practice to remove and reconnect them once or twice to clean the contacts.

PG-200 can suffer from a dead IC8 (113p) which will leave you with all the switchs/rotary switches working but not the rotary pots (the smooth turning ones).

if you don't want to mod your 3P to use a generic midi box (organix/kiwi) then fair enough - PG-200 is a nice addition to a great little synth.
Old 16th February 2014
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sorry for digging up such an old thread, but I got some confusion now.
I just ordered a JX3P, should be here in a few days, and now I'm already reading the manual, and some parts confuse me a bit:

Is it possible to save your edited patches right on the synth, without PG200 or Tape Recorder? From reading the manual I got the impression that you can't, which I really didn't thought of before buying.
Old 16th February 2014 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
It's got a user preset memory, 32 slots.
Old 18th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Did This Work For You?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctt_stone ➡️
Hi. I think i may have just figured out a trick with the JX-3P.

I seem to recall reading that you can not edit the JX-3p while in MIDI mode.

I just figured out a work around.

While your external sequencer of choice is running...flip the switch over to edit mode.

Go ahead and press write to enter edit mode. Once you do this flip the switch back over to the MIDI postiton. At first all the lights will blink and you will have one repeating note but if you proceed to chose a parameter to edit it will start playing your sequence and allow you to edit real time.

It will not allow you to save from this mode.
So, did this work for you? (I've got a special chance to go for a PG-200 and whether this works would pretty much make the decision 100% simple.)

Thank you.
Old 18th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Did you get a chance to try the programing trick?

Quote:
I saw that you indicated you'd try the trick that alexp referenced with the PG-200; so, I was wondering if that worked for you? (If this worked for you, it would make some decisions in my life considerably easier?)

Anyway, thank you a ton in advance! Truly!!!
Old 19th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Did the trick with the PG-200 work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexp ➡️
Holy hell Im going to try this tonight............

Thanks Scott!

alexP
I just wondered if the trick with the PG-200 referenced in this post worked? (If so, that would be awesome!) Thanks.
Old 19th December 2019 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2 Headed Doctor ➡️
I saw that you indicated you'd try the trick that alexp referenced with the PG-200; so, I was wondering if that worked for you? (If this worked for you, it would make some decisions in my life considerably easier?)

Anyway, thank you a ton in advance! Truly!!!
It did back then, but trying to work around that was just painful, especially when I was in the middle of a new tune. I have since sold the JX and programmer. There are much better synths out there these days, you shouldn't have to hassle with problems like this anymore. Korg Minilogue for example, blows the JX3P out of the water in so many ways, cheap, analog, poly, what more can you ask for? Lol
Old 20th December 2019 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
It did back then, but trying to work around that was just painful, especially when I was in the middle of a new tune. I have since sold the JX and programmer. There are much better synths out there these days, you shouldn't have to hassle with problems like this anymore. Korg Minilogue for example, blows the JX3P out of the water in so many ways, cheap, analog, poly, what more can you ask for? Lol
Thank you very much for the follow-up Popbott. Very helpful.
Old 20th December 2019 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
WIthout the expansion kit, you have to turn off your JX, connect the MIDI IN to the OUT, press six keys at a time and turn it on. Doing this the JX thinks it is in a diagnostic mode that turns omni off and makes it play only on MIDI channel 1. Please correct me if I am mistaken!
No need for all this. To disable omni, simply send midi cc 127 value 127 on any channel to the JX-3P, and omni is turned off. I have this set up in my Logic template on the JX-3P track. Don't even have to think about it any more.
Old 20th December 2019
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Coming from a DX11, I found the JX3P easy to program w/o the PG200.
📝 Reply