Quantcast
Ditching hardware keys to go software live? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Ditching hardware keys to go software live?
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Ditching hardware keys to go software live?

Hey guys I want to stop carrying around my Korg triton ProX and sometimes my dual G5 tower with my 002 and protools rig for playing live music. I play keyboards/synth/organ for a couple of churches and want to start doing more live work but want to incorporate a macbook Pro into my setup in the next couple of months.

Does anybody have a similar setup? I've heard ableton live is awesome for this. I've had trouble trying to use multiple synths in protools live with a controller. Itl only send midi to one sound module. So using Atmosphere, Ivory, and Velvet etc. All together layered is out of the question?

I just need to know the simplest solution in moving to the macbook pro with my rig and maybe a keyboard controller with slider and pads to get moving again.
Old 27th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
For sheer simplicity, I like MainStage (comes with Logic), with AUs and Logic instruments plugged into channel strips. Of course, it doesn't do 1% of what Ableton does; it's just a software instrument host.

-synthoid
Old 27th January 2009

🎧 10 years
+1thumbsup On mainstage.

I play in several bands and mainstage has really changed the way I prepare for gigs. No stress, extremely flexible.
It has also taken a lot of the stress out of live-playing, letting me focus on playing instead of trying to rememer what presets to choose and what fx to switch for the next song.
It has also allowed me to create more (and more complex) keyboard splits, as I no longer have to remember them. I can see on the excellent visual representation on the macbook screen, that there's an octave of bells for that one chorus line on the lower side of my keyboard.
And with all the logic plugs and the AU plugs, there's not exactly a shortage of sounds...
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
ableton's fabulous if you want on-the-spot assignments; i haven't come across software with more intuitive or simple MIDI mapping.

depending on your requirements, if you have a good workhorse synth the simplest way might be standalone mode. i'm guessing you won't need many tempo-synced delays for organ patches, so it sounds feasible!
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks guys for the comments. I've never heard of main stage so I'l have to check that out. I hear ableton is amazing and really want to get into layering loops and tempo changes so ableton could be the go to.
I'm just curious how I can implement digis amazing velvet rhodes program into ableton or is ableton running inside of protools?
I have a n m-audio keystation but might get a couple new axioms for the sliders and pads for controlling the different synths so I really don't have to "touch" the laptop during the set and can switch between Ivory, atmosphere, and anything else I have running all from the keyboard.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Mainstage comes with Logic. Not sure you can buy it separately?
Old 30th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yeah I just noticed that doing some searching on it. Not going the logic route. Already invested in PT and their amazing software instruments.
πŸ“ Reply