Quantcast
Best analog poly for me? - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Best analog poly for me?
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
listening to online demos, the ob-x is smoother and warmer than obxa, and more alive than ob-8. Problem is they are rather limited it seems. No PWM? Dissapointing for pads.

Although cheaper and more versatile, I'm not sure the OBX-a would be suited for my style of music -- seems more brash and rock orientated compared to the xpander or obx?

The p5 rev 2 seems much too costly...one on ebay for over $5 grand now....same w/ jp-8...not worth it...i dislike the p-5 rev. 3 and the mks80

i want the mks70--- one sold for $500 yesterday.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquablu8 ➑️
listening to online demos, the ob-x is smoother and warmer than obxa, and more alive than ob-8. Problem is they are rather limited it seems. No PWM? Dissapointing for pads.

Although cheaper and more versatile, I'm not sure the OBX-a would be suited for my style of music -- seems more brash and rock orientated compared to the xpander or obx?

The p5 rev 2 seems much too costly...one on ebay for over $5 grand now....same w/ jp-8...not worth it...i dislike the p-5 rev. 3 and the mks80

i want the mks70--- one sold for $500 yesterday.
If by limited you mean not tons of mod routes or other weird options, you're right. You are forced to explore other options for programming variations. Plus there's always the option of realtime knob tweaking while playing.

What I will say is that when I started with a blank synth, I filled up the entire OB-X patch bank with high quality patches faster than any other polysynth I've owned.

In some ways, that's why folks owned more than 1 polysynth, even back in the day. If you had the P08 (which I still vote for selling), the OB-X, and the MKS-70, that would be a good arsenal of synths to create those synth textures of the past and more.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Regarding OB-X
  • it has PWM. Don't know who told you it doesn't. In fact both oscillators have it.
  • it has FM for some spaced out stuff or just sound design
  • it also has OSC SYNC
  • can be midi-ed easily (two companies make kits)
As of "limitations". The amount of sounds you can create with that board is actually quite big. Why? Because just a small move of the filter or reso or oscillator knob and you are in totally different soundscape. This is what makes it totally different from new synths that have 9761 features yet global overall sound is just the same.

If you are into ambient type of textures, here's a Nebuchadnezzar (ship from Matrix) sound i've built on OB-X in 40 seconds (BIG speakers required to hear this recording). Recorded without any preamp or effects. Just to give you idea this synth can do far more than the Jump patch.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
all oberheims have PWM. and OBX is the king of classic analog pads. i've got both X and Xa, and indeed they are different poisons for different applications. ill try a poetic description: one is cholesterol filled warm & smooth, and the other is brassy, sizzley, ripping and angry SOB. take a wild guess .. heh

as i've mentioned bfr, take a listen to Tangram album by Tangerine Dream. most warm fizzy pads n strings are Johannes Schmoeling on OBX, ocasionally combined with higher pitched Rhapsody 610. esp beginning of Tangram Set2, thats like classic OBX. same thing on "Exit" a year later, but its used less as a dark pad, but more in typical polysynth manner playing comping chord themes. it takes center stage on both albums.

deep slow filter fm sweeps, some percussive line sequences an short stabby chords is Franke's Rev2.

Quote:
The p5 rev 2 seems much too costly...one on ebay for over $5 grand now....same w/ jp-8..
theres was a beautiful rev2 for sale for $3.5K just recently on AH mailing list. still a lot of $$, but it is a beautiful sound. and a very versatile machine. i could really do a whole album with a beatbox, some sort of sequencer and a rev2 prophet. its that good. so compared to other vintage prices i think its worth it.
Old 29th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Yeah, OBX is limited. But what's it got is a huge sweet spot all the way. In that sense similar to Minimoog.

If you absolutely need max sound gamut then Xpander is great. Just be prepared to invest into some real nice chorus & EQ & other outboard to go with it 8)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I already own an Xpander, which I have deeply loved in the past 25 years (!).
Which one, between the OB8, the OB-Xa and the OBX would you pick for more contrast in that Obie field? (Or perhaps an Omega?).
OB-Xa is relatively easier to find and cheaper. What about servicing (I've had nightmares with my Xpander ten years ago)?

best regards
Massimo

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by massimo ➑️
Which one, between the OB8, the OB-Xa and the OBX would you pick for more contrast in that Obie field? (Or perhaps an
Too easy, OB-X -> discrete design = unique sound.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 ➑️
I personally just dont like the sound of the Sunsyn..

I guess what i meant is it does do grit and dirt but in a modern, precise way.. if that makes sense. There is ZERO magic in the Sunsyn. Not like a Prophet VS or Wave for samples through an analogue filter. The analogue engine on the Sunsyn was pretty bleh too.
The filters just sounded weak and lame to me.

Again, this is just my opinion.
Well. you are right to express your opinion and I'll disagree with it.
Sunsyn has it's weakness in OS and some unpolished bugs.
Sonically it is great modern analogue and inspiring one.
Yes it is cleaner than its 20 years predecestors, but it has depth, space and texture, making it dirtier and grittier is no problem at all, it sits well in dense mixes and offer many unique capabilities.
It is not problem to understand that compared to some synths it offers quite different sonic character, but compared to other new analogues as DSI Prophet 08 and Andromeda it has classier sounds. Omega is different story, I like it very much, but can't say Omega or Sunsyn, only both indeed.

To each its own
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'll reiterate my suggestion of an OB-8 over it's predessesors. Easy to use, reliable, less hassle than an X or Xa in various ways. While there ARE differences from one to the other, there are far more similarities; the OB-8's plenty rich for textures. It's like the argument about having to have a P-5 "rev 2 only"..please, the rev 3s sound great. Rev 2 prices have gone thru the roof in large part because sellers have propogated the myth that there's some huge advantage when there's not. In fact there are also some drawbacks. A lot of the rhetoric about the differences is pure snobbery. All of them are excellent.

And ya, my suggestion for an MKS-70 would be a nice complement to it.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️
Too easy, OB-X -> discrete design = unique sound.
thats textbook answer. and i agree. but in reality there more than one choice, an OBXA and Xpander are equally apart as is OBX. not all CEMs sound the same. far from it. especially these two boards are good example of this. so i think it depends most on what character is desired best to complement Xpanders.

example, if you want to complement Xpanders smoothness and softness, you want raw XA. or, if you want to complement its glassy modern sounding vcos with fat discrete 70s vcos, then pick the other one.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Well, how similar do the OB-8 and Xpander sound - they sound rather similar from demos? Which one is the better buy? Is the Ob-8 much warmer/fatter/alive than the xpander?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Well, how similar do the OB-8 and Xpander sound - they sound rather similar from demos? Which one is the better buy? Is the Ob-8 much warmer/fatter/alive than the xpander?
Your comments are a little confusing..the Xpander is one of THE best pad machines ever made. The OB-8 does strings nicely, but will be different. They both have the same general Oberheim character, but are quite different in terms of architecture and routings. The Xpander's got some of the most flexible options this side of a modular, is good at finesse and complexity, while the OB will be more limited relatively speaking but is rawer and more powerful, which often won't necessarily matter on pads unless you like that particular sound.

At some point you either have to hear them for yourself, or take a chance on either, knowing it can be resold for not a big loss if any if the price is reasonable.

That's the best way IMO, narrow it down to a few and actually own em, see for yourself, get intimate with the nuances.

You're welcome.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Sorry, i was just wondering about the character of the CEM's in each box and how they differed... i can only hear them from demos online and they sound rather similar when the filter is open. But if you say the OB8 is a little more raw and organic, i might go that route..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Sorry, i was just wondering about the character of the CEM's in each box and how they differed... i can only hear them from demos online and they sound rather similar when the filter is open. But if you say the OB8 is a little more raw and organic, i might go that route..

The OBs and synths from that generation beat out the next generation mid-80s synths on rawness, but if the idea's complex and changing pads the Xpander and other synths of the mid-late 80s win out, retaining good analog character while adding greater control.

The best way other than directly A-Bing in a store is to be willing to spend at reasonable prices, get to know something's abilities then hold on to it or sell depending on the outcome. The cost of doing this is minimal actually, the main issue is putting out the cash for a while during the trial period.

A nice mix of old and new vintage analogs are the Voyetra 8 and Chroma, both of which have more flexible routings while retaining lots of the old-skool rawness. However they approach Synthex category re: availability and prices.
Old 31st January 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
spend more time with your P08.....
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
i know you said analog but..

have you concidered a JD-800/900 as well? dirt cheap for such an amazing sound. Kind've like a "why not" buy

Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Actualy, the Rev 2 is rather different to my ears than the rev 3 (p5).

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
I'll reiterate my suggestion of an OB-8 over it's predessesors. Easy to use, reliable, less hassle than an X or Xa in various ways. While there ARE differences from one to the other, there are far more similarities; the OB-8's plenty rich for textures. It's like the argument about having to have a P-5 "rev 2 only"..please, the rev 3s sound great. Rev 2 prices have gone thru the roof in large part because sellers have propogated the myth that there's some huge advantage when there's not. In fact there are also some drawbacks. A lot of the rhetoric about the differences is pure snobbery. All of them are excellent.

And ya, my suggestion for an MKS-70 would be a nice complement to it.
πŸ“ Reply