SH-5 vs SH-7 ? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
SH-5 vs SH-7 ?
Old 26th January 2009

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
SH-5 vs SH-7 ?

Help a synth maniac...

I've been offered an SH-5 and at the same time another guy offered me SH-7. Price is the same. To cut the long story short... i can't decide which to choose. On SH-7 i like the fact i can FM the filter with the VCO and there is OSC1A which has additive synth, and additional envelope. On SH-5 i like additional LFO, more modulation and a BPF.
  1. I know SH-5 is multimode and 12dB while SH-7 is 24dB. Soundwise i have NO IDEA on how they sound. Is there any drastic difference in sound of SH-5 vs. SH-7?
  2. I can see that both SH-5 and SH-7 have uA-726 based oscillators. I should let you know that i already have SH-2 which is also uA-726 VCOs. So i'm curous, i there any difference in these two against the SH-2? (which in that case i would sell)
  3. Which would you go ? SH-5 or SH-7 (and why)?

Thanks!

EDIT: This is a year and a half old thread someone resurrected. Please ignore these questions. I already have SH-5.
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
At one time, I had the SH-1, SH-2, SH-3a, SH-5, and SH-7 here and operational.

In my opinion, the SH-5 was the best. Two reasons - the flexibility and the sound.

The sound of the SH-5 was fuller, sharper, and more useful. The SH-7 sounded mellower, fuzzier than the -5. Both units were cleaned and calibrated, so that wasn't an issue. The SH-7 has some unique features, but overall I found the SH-5 more useful.

I liked the -1 and -2 because they were simple and sounded great. I'd keep the -2 and -5.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don if you were a true slut, you would forgo food for a couple months and buy them both :P

Sorry man, someone had to play devils advocate!

alexP

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Actually space is the problem. That's how i can't take both.

Time is the second problem. I have 25 analogs already.... a man has got to know its limitations.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
the 7 isnt even close to the 5 in my opinion. I have owned both and still own the 5.
Id take a 5 over most any other mono.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
y o u n e e d a n s h 5 d o n ..

now seriously, with everything you got .. the SH7 will probobly follow soon, theres always good deals out there, just look at your setup and tell me that SH7 wont be there at one point or another .

i would get the 5 first, then look for a good deal on the 7.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JOliver ➑️
Id take a 5 over most any other mono.
Soundwise or feature-wise?

I assume SH-5 isn't as FAT as MiniMoog. But maybe i'm wrong. Bascialy same oscillators, but different filter design and slope. I assume SH-5 has less energy in the "punch" since signal goes whrough wider frequency area (12dB) against Mini's focused 24 dB.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Solaris ➑️

I assume SH-5 isn't as FAT as MiniMoog. But maybe i'm wrong. Bascialy same oscillators, but different filter design and slope. I assume SH-5 has less energy in the "punch" since signal goes whrough wider frequency area (12dB) against Mini's focused 24 dB.
it's definitely its own beast. No - not as punchy and fat as a Mini. But then again, if that's what you want/need, just buy a Mini.

For versatile and good sounding analog monosynths, my list would be:

CS-30
Syrinx
Spirit
SH-5

(in no implied order)

i.e. - these are more than 1 trick pony monosynths. They have enough complexity to keep you entertained and to produce a wide variety of great patches.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Get the 5, with the SH-2 you have a roland 24 db filter.

Nah, get both.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've owned both and prefer the 7. It's more flexible than the 5 and I could always get crazier sounds out of the 7 because of all it's modulation options. I also like the duphony on it.

Not to mention that the 7 seems to be the rarer of the two. They come up for sale far less often.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️
it's definitely its own beast. No - not as punchy and fat as a Mini.
Thanks! Yeah, that's how i was imagining it. I think i will definitely go with the SH-5. It appears (according to manual) there is a VCF input at the back side, so i guess i'll have filter FM in the end. Aaahh... happy like a kid.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Thanks to all synth maniacs for help.

Others: nothing to see here.... move along! move along!

Kids: Analog synths suck. Go download new softs. Hurry up! 173 new synths released this month. Go! Go! Go!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I also own an SH-5 and I fully second the emotions stated above..... it's definitely a very beautiful synth, better than the SH-7.

One thing you should know though:
What the SH-5 is NOT, is a "fast", sharp bass monster, like the SH-101 is for example.

This is due to the fact that the VCA / envelopes do not have a logarhythmic, but a linear operating character, which prevents super-fast attacks, as you would use them for hi-speed seq.-lines or above-mentioned "moogy" basses.

This is about the only downside the SH-5 has, and in the beginning I was a bit disappointed about that.....but I learned to love it for what it is (rather than mourning what it is not).....and it is a highly versatile, great sounding "melodic" synthesizer, plus it's probably the best-looking synth ever built by Roland !

Go for it, you won't be disappointed!
(Don't expect to get a Minimoog, though....it's a different beast altogether....)

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquaMat ➑️
(Don't expect to get a Minimoog, though....it's a different beast altogether....)
I regret for putting a MiniMoog reference. I just mentioned it because of uA-726 based design. For a Mini i will go Mini. thumbsup
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
SH5 - Is the daddy

Whish I hadn't sold mine :(

Shame the band pass filter isn't under CV control tho. Its is such a lovely sounding synth but BLODDY HUGE and VERY HEAVY too.

Go for it Don !
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Band Pass Filter!!!

The Sh5 is the bomb. NEARLY as phat as my model D.

Peter Forrest from VEMIA (where I brought mine 10 years ago) rates the 5 above the 7. See his books 'The A to Z of Analogue Synths'.

Nobody has mentioned the BP filter on the 5! Its the most chewy, sick filter that I have ever heard. You can send an audio signal into it but no modulation. Shame.

I use it more often to process signals than anything else and I have model D, arp 2600, AS Integrator, mutator, devilfish, RSF Kobol expander and pedals like the lovetone meatball and the EH micro synth.

Buy at least the 5 but you know you should get both!!

SH5 on UK ebay. 21hrs left at Β£800.
Old 28th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
There are a couple of SH-7 vids on the Matrixsynth page at the moment...
Old 1st February 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
It's definitely a(nother) downisde of the SH5 that the beautiful bandpass filter can not be modulated in any way (but manually), but we're still lucky to have it.
It's definitely one of the highpoints of this synth.

Another downside, IMHO, is the fact that the 2nd envelope is only a very rudimentary AR-affair.... imagine what a gain a second complete ADSR envelope would be.

However, the wonderfully complex modulation matrix counterbalances these shortcomings a bit.
(The SH5 can even be connected to Stereo-Outs and the PAN has a nice big knob of its own in the VCA section etc.)
Old 8th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
i made a soundbite of sh7.its "sequenced" (if god can call this a sequence) by a sh101

maybe it can show some of the textures its capable of creating......

PS

i realise that its the kind of soundbite that can make people NOT want the SH7.heh

but i was just playing with the knobs and sliders....

who knows maybe djtiesto will release it

ps2. when i have something much more ... palatable i will upload as well so the gentle side of the SH7 can be seen too.....
Attached Files

sh7mess.mp3 (1.13 MB, 4871 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got serious lust for the 7. Plus, i think it's the best looking Roland synth ever. I've not heard either of them however. If space is the issue, the 5 is bulkier than the 7.

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Hazard ➑️
If space is the issue, the 5 is bulkier than the 7.
i suspect he resolved this dilemma over the last year and a half.

but the whole 7 vs 5 debate isn't complete without the system100 in the mix.

in fact if the 5 beats the 7 then really the debate should be between the system100 (plus expander) and the 5 as to which one's 'best'.

the difference being that the system100 has very much greater routing possibilities + 2 ADSRs and the sh-5 has the killer band pass.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
How bout checking post datez...

@mamonu: i bought SH-5 about a year and half ago.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Don. You can't ask for assistance. You already know everything.

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by subby33 ➑️
Don. You can't ask for assistance. You already know everything.
Who? Me?

I know a lot about BOB. And i can tell you about it. Some other time perhaps. But just want to let you know it's a conspiracy!
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:

@mamonu: i bought SH-5 about a year and half ago.

oh but i know..
but the sh5 vs sh7 question you posed will always live on...
anyway if i had access to both i would be probably choosing sh5 but this wasnt the case with me
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
but the whole 7 vs 5 debate isn't complete without the system100 in the mix.

in fact if the 5 beats the 7 then really the debate should be between the system100 (plus expander) and the 5 as to which one's 'best'.

the difference being that the system100 has very much greater routing possibilities + 2 ADSRs and the sh-5 has the killer band pass.
I have an SH-5 and I love it, but i have always been very curious as to how different the System 100 really sounds asides from the extra routing. I will tell you this though, the extra band pass filter on the SH-5 is amazing it adds so much character to any patch.
Granted that the SH-5 is not patchable. but it still has great flexibility with its internal routing that I am not sure that the patching would add a great deal more.

At any rate I do have a question that i have always wanted to know. The Human league used a System 100 in a lot of there music, and I was wondering if the lead hook on Fascination was made with a System 100? I have tried to make it on my SH-5 but did not even come close. I wonder if you might have attempted to try it on your System 100 or if you have ever come close to the lead patch?

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by JEBEQ ➑️
I have an SH-5 and I love it, but i have always been very curious as to how different the System 100 really sounds asides from the extra routing. I will tell you this though, the extra band pass filter on the SH-5 is amazing it adds so much character to any patch.
Granted that the SH-5 is not patchable. but it still has great flexibility with its internal routing that I am not sure that the patching would add a great deal more.

At any rate I do have a question that i have always wanted to know. The Human league used a System 100 in a lot of there music, and I was wondering if the lead hook on Fascination was made with a System 100? I have tried to make it on my SH-5 but did not even come close. I wonder if you might have attempted to try it on your System 100 or if you have ever come close to the lead patch?
edit that fascination brass lead is probably a a tape or sample loop of a real trumpet deffo not a system 100. i think back in the day the system100 got allot of use as percussion with the 104 sequencer triggering white noise hits. i know that's what depeche mode did a few times.

regarding the routing. believe me when i say the system100 has loads more modulating capability then the sh-5. like ten times as much. not joking here.

i have had my hands on a sh-5 and system 100 side by side. this was around 12 years ago. they sounded very similar as i remember it.

Last edited by golden beers; 30th June 2017 at 09:32 AM..
Old 9th August 2010 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden beers ➑️
edit that fascination brass lead is probably a a tape or sample loop of a real trumpet deffo not a system 100. i think back in the day the system100 got allot of use as percussion with the 104 sequencer triggering white noise hits. i know that's what depeche mode did a few times.
I think you may be right about it being a sample. Although I don't remember The league using much as far as samples back in those days specially in the Unlimited Orchestra album. I have come sort of close to making the patch on the Pro One though. Something tells me its an analog synth.
Old 6th April 2011 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Apples and oranges. Can't deny the sound of a mini. but a mini can't replicate the sound of an SH5. The SH5 has an incredible low end frequency response. Huge. full, round, fat call it what you will. So, it;s kind of deceiving in a way because the upper mids and high frequencies can be inherently edgy and cold. Added to that, is the fact that you have so much filter control with both a dedicated Bp filter and a HP, LP BP filter, and then when you combine that with the sound and adjustment capability of both oscillators, and 3 discrete modulation sources,you get a truly living breathing machine with very amazing nuances. It floats,, it drifts, it warbles, it's pleasing.
Old 23rd July 2015
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Help a synth maniac...

I've been offered an SH-5 and at the same time another guy offered me SH-7. Price is the same. To cut the long story short... i can't decide which to choose. On SH-7 i like the fact i can FM the filter with the VCO and there is OSC1A which has additive synth, and additional envelope. On SH-5 i like additional LFO, more modulation and a BPF.
Hi Don.
I know I'm resurrecting a fairly old thread... but...
I own an SH-101 and in the last couple of months I was playing with the thought of adding a second SH to this little (blue) monster.
I immediately excluded buying a second SH-101 - I already own one!
I thought about an SH-09 - pretty easy to find one, conditions have of course to be verified in person. It seems to lack only the sequencer and arpeggiator, otherwise it is like the SH-101, correct me if I'm wrong.
Then I saw a freaking short video of an SH-7 and I suddenly wanted that one.
At the same time, I discovered the SH-2, which is the one with 2 oscillators and I thought "well, this with 2 osc would fit/add some sound to my Roland equipment".
Now a friend of mine who worked for Roland, is telling me that I should forget about the SH-7 and go for an SH-5!!!

To cut a long story short: what would you recommend??? What are the real pros/cons of SH-2, SH-5 and SH-7?

Reading along this thread, the 12dB filter on the SH-5 and it being "less punchy" would stop me from buying it... but on the other hand, it has multimode filter, correct?

I'd really love to hear some thoughts of yours (and from everybody who wants to give his/her 2 cents, of course!).

Thanks,
Flavio.
πŸ“ Reply