Out with the old, in with the New - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Out with the old, in with the New
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Out with the old, in with the New

Hey,

Is anyone here overly familiar with many old synthesizers, as well as many new ones? I was thinking last night upkeep is going to likely be costly over the next several years and I might be better off selling most of it for newer gear.

I haven't thought it out in detail yet, but something along these lines:

1) Complete Roland System 100 ---> Really good ModCan modular synthesizer setup (I'm in Canada, so if I can avoid border fees it's usually worth it, hence ModCan -- of course, if anyone can say for sure that any of the US-made modulars are really that much better I'd only be hit with taxes and shipping, and not duties.)

2) TR-808/R-909 ---> Vermona drm1 mkII and Vermon drm1 mkIII, and Jomox MBase 01.

3) Korg MS-10 / Korg MS-20 ---> Moog Voyager rack

4) Roland Juno 60 / Korg DW-800 ---> Analogue Solutions Red Square

5) Roland MC-202 ---> Spectral Audio Neptune II

There's a couple other things I could part with, but those are the main ones. Other new synths that have caught my eye, and would be acquired from those other sales or further on down the road include the Analogue Solutions Semblance (especially when you got four of these chained together), Vermona Perfourmer, MFB Kraftzwerg, Moog Little Phatty and the Analogue Systems Spawn.

Anyhow, I'm rambling a bit. I'm actually away from home on a family affair, so maybe I'm not thinking straight.

Things I'd definitely keep: Adafruit x0xb0x, and Roland JX-3P w/ PG-200 (I just got it for super cheap, and it's turning out to be a lot of fun to play with).

I was thinking another advantage would be that while everyone lusts after the old I'd have a healthy dose of the "new gear" that may help in making a sound a little different than everybody else.

Anyhow, I'm rambling again.

Am I crazy, or what?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
upkeep isn't necessarily hard with the old gear. On the plus side, parts are available and if it does break it can be repaired. The newer surface mount gear may not be as repairable in the future. Certainly less techs have the appropriate tools to do surface mount work.

If you take the older stuff, replace the electrolytic caps, go through the power supplies and redo the caps, regulators, etc and take care to minimize the dust in the pots and switches, it should last your lifetime.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
dont look at it as New vs Old. use whatever you like the most and ditch/replace the ones you dont use.

- i think most artists today sound the same becouse of the new hardware/ same sounding VSTi's thats accesible to almost everyone. the Old hardware will get you that unique sound.
📝 Reply