Quantcast
Is the ipod touch a legit musical instrument - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Is the ipod touch a legit musical instrument
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Is the ipod touch a legit musical instrument

It seems like the possibilities with these things are endless. It can be a mini-lemur with Touch Osc. It can be a sampler/sequencer with Beatmaker. It can be a synthesizer with various synth apps. Somehow though it seems like its considered a novelty and not a real piece of studio equipment. Who here like the idea of making music with one of these and who would rather dish out their cash on an sp 404 or a piece of gear thats actually a dedicated musical instrument? Also if you use one please share your music/videos experiences etc.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It will be as soon as someone famous has a hit they claim to have made on it.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Of course it can. You can turn almost anything into a musical instrument if you have enough vision and talent. It's all in how it is used.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Check out Noise.io for the iPhone. It is a very capable FM synth with a killer interface.

What I am really wanting to so however is to use the iPhone as a wireless midi controller. You can do it on the mac but not the pc right now
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 ➑️
Check out Noise.io for the iPhone. It is a very capable FM synth with a killer interface.

What I am really wanting to so however is to use the iPhone as a wireless midi controller. You can do it on the mac but not the pc right now

Ah I didnt know that was only for Mac. With the rate they release new ipods im kind of scared to buy one and then they release a 13 inch touch that runs leopard for the price of a macbook. If they did that the lemur would be pretty obsolete...or would it?
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by linndrum9000 ➑️
It seems like the possibilities with these things are endless. It can be a mini-lemur with Touch Osc. It can be a sampler/sequencer with Beatmaker. It can be a synthesizer with various synth apps. Somehow though it seems like its considered a novelty and not a real piece of studio equipment. Who here like the idea of making music with one of these and who would rather dish out their cash on an sp 404 or a piece of gear thats actually a dedicated musical instrument? Also if you use one please share your music/videos experiences etc.
I consider a 'musical instrument' an object that physically 'resonates' (not thru a speaker/amp).

Others, I believe, are called 'toys' or 'gadgets'... heh

(I kid, I kid...)
msl
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by wax808 ➑️

Noise.io is really cool played around with it for a few hours the other day on my mates ipod.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If someone released a feature packed osc package like dexter for the ipod then we'd be talking. I'd totally pay for something that was DAW integrated. The idea of using something limited like touch osc seems like it would be a headache for normal daw use, but if it was all a nice little package....
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shim ➑️
If someone released a feature packed osc package like dexter for the ipod then we'd be talking. I'd totally pay for something that was DAW integrated. The idea of using something limited like touch osc seems like it would be a headache for normal daw use, but if it was all a nice little package....

Word. I've been checking out this app called haplome. It allows you to run a virtual monome on your ipod touch. Looks really cool, but it seems hard to set up and a bit buggy. Im very interested in touch technology, but its very new and I dont know when the next major breakthrough is going to happen.
πŸ“ Reply