Quantcast
malekko assmaster vs zvex wooly mammoth - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
malekko assmaster vs zvex wooly mammoth
Old 25th January 2009
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
malekko assmaster vs zvex wooly mammoth

Anyone have experience with both of these pedals?
I want to pick up one of them to strap across the Voyager.
I am sure I can't go wrong with either, but is there any obvious advantage toward one or the other?
Old 26th January 2009
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
My friend Taylor has had both. Send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with him and his phone number and he can give you the rundown between them.
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
just so you know, the B:Assmaster will be here soon with CV control in eurorack format...
you can insert the assmaster into the voyager, and make sweet modulations.
(yikes)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reptil ➑️
just so you know, the B:Assmaster will be here soon with CV control in eurorack format...
(yikes)
Really? That would make my decision much easier.
Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
(yikes)
That's what I'm waiting for. That's funny because Harvestman is making a pedal version of his Malgorythm.
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(yikes)
Malekko is also making a Euro format analogue delay module as well, and there was something about a add-on digital clock or something.

I have a B:assmaster that my Voyager RME runs thru on a almost permanent basis. I forgot that I wanted that Zyvex, after I got the Malekko but now I could use the flavor.

Here is a thread I started awhile back....

Moog loves the Assmaster

Cheers,
Rob
Old 27th January 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I'll buy the delay. Looks like something I've been looking for.
Reading that thread again.. nice heh
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(yikes)
Hey, I'm a bit new to CV, can you describe some examples with Voyager on how this would be useful?

Thinking of grabbing the B:Assmaster, but will wait for this if it makes a huge difference.
Old 3rd March 2009 | Show parent

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
basically CV (Control Voltage) allows you to control the amount of some function (filter cutoff, distortion amount) by plugging in either a source CV (from the mod wheel of the voyager, from a sequencer etc.), or even audio (rectified signal (it needs to be 0 to +10V instead of -5V to +5V (regular analogue audio signal)

note some synths handle -10 to +10 audio etc.

the effect? it's like midi control but then continuous and no delay. heh
Old 4th March 2009 | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
awesome, got it, don't think i'll be doing much cv so can skip to the basic pedal. thanks.
Old 5th March 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
i want the wooly mamooth. it is THE vintage fuzz sound ive been looking for ages. from what ive heard on u tube n demos at least. seems it keeps the bass big whilst providing the gritt in the mids or highs. not just buzzsaw highs thinnin out the sound - which works for guitar, but not for synth. i just wish it wasnt as expensive. i would have picked it up already.
Old 1st September 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
ive owned both

i think the assmaster would sound better with a synth in general

the woolly mammoth is completely amazing with bass and guitars. but it does kind of have its own sound, itd almost be a shame to use it with something as fine as a voyager. i feel like the assmaster would let through a little more of the sound of the synth. the WM is a POWERFUL instrument!

really, im sure theyd both sound insane and rediculous with the moog. depends on what you need...

OTOH, i found the assmaster a little too weak for bass (at least for what i needed from a bass fuzz), i guess there's the trade off!

btw, im selling a woolly mammoth right now. it's in the classifieds forum.
Old 1st September 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger vomitt ➑️
OTOH, i found the assmaster a little too weak for bass (at least for what i needed from a bass fuzz), i guess there's the trade off!
On bass guitar or bass in general? I'm not keen on using it for bass guitar.

Synth bass is the only thing I really like it on. It makes deep saw and square waves a whole load thicker, sharper and fatter, because it's using some kind of octave up technique.

I do play guitar through it, but usually only when it's following my Rastop Super Divider, which is essentially an octave-down / synth bass pedal.

Also, a fuzz after it intensifies it a whole load more.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So... Two years later...
Anyone else tried these pedals (or perhaps a Mastotron) with a Voyager?
Which is The Golden One?
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

I have the B:Assmaster (Ge), never tried the mammoth. Just pitching in to say that the B:Assmaster sounds really nice on my voyager. It keeps the nice low end and adds very nice rich harmonic content, very musical.

I could make a quick demo if you'd like to hear what they sound like together.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bloodsample ➑️
I have the B:Assmaster (Ge), never tried the mammoth. Just pitching in to say that the B:Assmaster sounds really nice on my voyager. It keeps the nice low end and adds very nice rich harmonic content, very musical.

I could make a quick demo if you'd like to hear what they sound like together.
That would be great.
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
(yikes)
Could you type that again... slowly?
Old 10th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by degas ➑️
That would be great.
Here you go

It's just a looping bassline on the voyager which remains untouched throughout. The pedal is in bypass for the first bar, then I just randomly tweak knobs + switches. The range of sounds is rather narrow and subtle but the overall tone is great IMO. It's not an in-your-face fuzz, but it adds just enough sweetness. The "bass volume" knob really helps in preserving the low end while still adding a nice warm fuzz.

Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

Here's another demo with drums this time. The pedal is always on and is only applied to the voyager. I'm also tweaking the voyager in this one.

Old 10th March 2012
Ohx
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
If you want to hear the mammoth on synths, and tons of it, check out anything by the artist Tobacco.

Mammoth + Octave CAT = his sound.
Old 10th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
bloodsample:
Thanks a lot! I really like most sounds from 0.45 and onwards.
It has a great sound. Big thanks.

Anybody with a Woolly Mammoth or Mastotron care to do a similar thing?
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Thanks for the demos, the bassmaster sounds great! I'm also curious about the Wooly Mammoth as well.

Silly question, but do you need two of these to process a stereo signal? Or would you just run it through the left/right channels to record them and then pan the signals back accordingly? I think the voyager is an exception because of its super convenient mix out/filter in plug.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I used Wooly Mammoth when I had Voyager, (together with Fulltone Tape Echo) and can tell you that it kills ****; Its the bomb, tone is perfect lot of control over the sound, I fully recommend, no experience with the B/Assmaster.
Old 11th March 2012
Lives for gear

Looks like there's positive reviews on both sides. It's time to bring out the classic gearslutz answer now: get both!
Old 11th March 2012 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➑️
i want the wooly mamooth. it is THE vintage fuzz sound ive been looking for ages. from what ive heard on u tube n demos at least. seems it keeps the bass big whilst providing the gritt in the mids or highs. not just buzzsaw highs thinnin out the sound - which works for guitar, but not for synth. i just wish it wasnt as expensive. i would have picked it up already.
I have the Wooly Mamoth and while I love it on my bass (guitar), I have to say that it seems to lose low-end on synths (I have no idea why), but I keep trying it on my Model D and it just doesn't work.

I might suggest the Colour Sound Tone Bender

-andrews
Old 11th March 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Does anyone have any demos of the Wooly Mammoth with their Voyager as well?

As for the B:assmaster, what are the main differences between the normal version and the germanium version?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishy1500 ➑️
As for the B:assmaster, what are the main differences between the normal version and the germanium version?
I haven't tried the silicon one, but generally germanium fuzz pedals tend to be a little milder/warmer/subtler while silicon is more harsh and agressive. Something to do with the diode bias I believe (don't quote me on that though).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirty Halo ➑️
I have the Wooly Mamoth and while I love it on my bass (guitar), I have to say that it seems to lose low-end on synths (I have no idea why), but I keep trying it on my Model D and it just doesn't work.
Wooly Mamoth is derivate of Fuzz Face topology. Thing is, Fuzz Face type of circuit doesn't like to be driven by low impedance source - like active basses or synths. It works best with large inductive impedances, like passive guitar pickups.
Old 15th March 2012
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Come on, people.
Give us some examples of Mastotron and Woolly Mammoth.
Old 30th March 2012
Gear Addict

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quick question for those that own the Malekko B:assmaster. Is the "bass volume" knob supposed to pass the dry signal as-is or does it actually change the sound a bit? I just picked this up (normal non-germanium version) and noticed that switching the B:assmaster on with only the "bass volume" knob turned up actually thins out the sub-bass frequencies a bit. When I bypass the unit altogether, it is clear that the original sound has quite a bit more sub–bass in there. I was just wondering if this is just the nature of the B:assmaster or if there is something else going on. Thanks!
πŸ“ Reply