Quantcast
Waldorf Q vs Access Virus TI - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Q vs Access Virus TI
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waldorf Q vs Access Virus TI

Hello to all! I'm about to buy one of these virtual analogue synths (Q or Virus TI). I really don't care for the next question so much about some "extras" like effects / extended polyphony / arpeggiators etc...My basic question is:

Which of these two, has the closest sound to a real analog synthesizer? (generally speaking, which one is more convincing as an analog synth)

I'm talking about a classic Q (not Q+) vs a Virus TI and i know that they both can do more things than analogue style sounds..my question has to do with the quality for analog sounds (fat, warm and juicy )
I would appreciate any help/opinion, especially from people who have them both.

Thank you!
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
If Analog sounding is what you are looking for why not go for a real analog synth??, like a DSI Prophet 8, the rack version much cheaper than a VirusTI.

Or you could get a DSI Mopho, MFB-Synth II, and a Moog Little Phatty for the price of a Virus TI.

If analog is your bag, why go for a virtual one??

Cheers.
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
Which of these two, has the closest sound to a real analog synthesizer? (generally speaking, which one is more convincing as an analog synth)
none.

both are very powerful digital synthesizerrs capable of complex sounds. eaxh with its respective character. but none imo does a very good impresonation of an analog synth.

if VA is the only choice, id rather opt for a Nord Lead 2X.

other than that, if analogue sound is what u want, indeed do yourself a favor in the long run, go for a real analog synth right away.

Jupiter6, P8, Prophet600, Polysix, JX8P, MKS80 many choices..
Old 23rd January 2009 | Show parent
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I also suggest getting an analog synth. If you don't want to get a second hand synth, the prophet 8 rack or keyboard is very good for the price and easily beats both the virus and Q what comes to the sound. Virus and Q are very nice digital synths but cannot touch real analog synths. It is amazing what already 1 real analog voice can do. If you want a cheap mono analog, you could try waldorf pulse too. Amazingly powerful for the price!

If you still want to go digital, get a Q or blofeld instead. Virus is boring because all newbies have one (and nothing else) these days. heh
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, a real analog like P08 its very good, but somehow limited (there is no one for demo in my place and the sounds i've heard in youtube are very classic "bread and butter" sounds..They are different synths though, and P08 has knob quality issues..(Waldorf has very good build quality)
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Get the Snow and Mopho and you'll be all set.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I agree that many demos you find in youtube are boring, showing only those bread & butter sounds. However, if you know how to program, you can do the sounds you need with any synth. It's just up to what kind of tone/character you want and what you consider as "good" or "fat"? For example, for some people, fat means only 1 analog voice with moog filter screaming whereas for some others it might be a Waldorf digital pad with lots of unison and modulations. I personally like analog synths for the warm and powerful tone they have, may it be only 1 voice or polyphonic sounds. Waldorf synths are especially good in weird, lush and raw digital sounds. They are built very well but some also suffer from the encoder problems (could start skipping values).

Blofeld is a very good and inexpensive way to get a Waldorf synth. As spol suggested, a mopho might also be a very good choice to get that powerful analog tone, however you need to use computer to control it. If you find a second hand pulse, I suggest you try that one too. It has only 6 knobs but the matrix system is very easy to use, and that one analog voice is _huge_ . I have two of them sitting in my rack and love them.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by spol ➑️
Get the Snow and Mopho and you'll be all set.
+ 1, that little beats is amazing considering its price. I love my Virus Ti, but I know the best you can to its to pair it with a real analog synth.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
You could get an Access Snow, A Waldorf Blofeld, and a DSI Mopho and be one Snow Blo'n Mopho Where do they come up with these names these days anyways.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
how about a Q rack & Pulse ? ? ?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you all! With all these ideas about hybrid configurations, i think about buying a prophet-08 and a blofeld. I think the blofeld has most of Q's features and the same sound engine (maybe better)...
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Good choice I have both and you should not be disappointed.
Old 24th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
What about the evolver? Both analog and digital oscillators, analog filters, step sequencing, wave sequencing, wide modulation options etc.
I'm getting tired of Mopho stealing the spotlight of the DSI desktops!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
it may be just me, but considering the going prices id always go for a Jupiter 6 rather than P8. if "analogueness" is desired, it delivers in spades compared to P8. it got true Curtis VCOs, a Jupiter series multimode filter, and cross-modulation (fm) of VCOs, three things i miss the most on P8 design.

in addition, JP-6 is one of the most stable and solid built polysynths of all times, so the vintage maintenance aspect is not as important here as with some other quirky beasts from 70s/80s. yes changing its capacitors is always a good thing, but calculate that in the initial price and its still a bargain for what it gives back.

ymmv.

check this demo of multitracked JP-6 to get a glimpse of its character:
http://www.mousepadrecords.ch/jupite...20Callisto.mp3

cheers
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➑️
Thank you all! With all these ideas about hybrid configurations, i think about buying a prophet-08 and a blofeld. I think the blofeld has most of Q's features and the same sound engine (maybe better)...
That sounds like a very good plan! IMO, exactly these two synths offer the best features and sound quality for the money taking into account all the other new analog and digital synths.
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
None of them, Virus TI nor the Waldorf Q are good for emulating analog.

I had a chance to play TI and a Q+ recently, and although they're good synth, they sucks at analog sounds. I have a Virus Classic (B essencially) and boy that one can do great "analog" sounds. I thought TI should be everything previous Viruses were, with many usefull additions. But nah, no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't pull out the old Classic's character. At all. Effects are different, filters are different (not better!), PWM is more digitall etc. The resault: great synth for digital stuff, like air-y (spring reverbed) strings, effects, and other thing synths like V-synth were famous for up to date. But as a quality emulator of analog, IMO Virus TI is no good.

Waldorf Q goes even more in that direction. Played Q+ yesterday, but I had a Q for a week or so at home, so I got good impression of it. I liked Q+ more, although filters aren't the greatest analog filter of all time. It has very characterfull reverb which, among other things, leads to wonderful ambient textures. I liked Q+ a lot. But the asking price is little ridicilous.

My oppinion is, if you want VA for more or less decent analog sounds, you shouldn't look to VA's developed after the year 1999.
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
op, don't forget to post your findings! So often people go A v B and then never report back on what happened.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Of the 2 listed, I prefer the Q
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
I have a mirco Q and a Virus A. To me, the Virus sounds much more analog. I have not had the pleasure of trying out the TI though...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
Of the 2 listed, I prefer the Q
+1 any day over the Virus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by benmate ➑️
I have a mirco Q and a Virus A. To me, the Virus sounds much more analog. I have not had the pleasure of trying out the TI though...
the Micro Q and Q are very different. from some reason they dont sound the same. (or even close..)
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmos ➑️
+1 any day over the Virus.

the Micro Q and Q are very different. from some reason they dont sound the same. (or even close..)

That could explain my disappointment with the Micro Q. I had played a Q eight years ago and fell in love. Now I have the Micro Q but feel like it doesn't live up to my previous experience. I'll have to search the forums for an answer to this...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by benmate ➑️
That could explain my disappointment with the Micro Q. I had played a Q eight years ago and fell in love. Now I have the Micro Q but feel like it doesn't live up to my previous experience. I'll have to search the forums for an answer to this...
they are defenitly dosent sound the same.

i owned 3 Q keyboards, 1 Rack, 1 Micro Q, 1 Q+.

we compared all 6 q's side by side. it may sound strange but to our ears the Yellow Q sounded better then the Blue (keyboards), Q+ was above all of them. the Micro Q was real let down.. was not even close to the other versions.

the + stayed but i miss my yellow Q Keyboard as well.
F5D
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Thanks for the info of differen Q versions cosmos, really interesting. I have never played a Q but I have owned 3 different microQ's. There was basically nothing wrong with any of them but I ended up selling each when I needed money for something else. However, I noticed a big difference in sound quality when I got my XTk. Of course the fact that XT has a more interesting synth engine was one of the reasons I liked it more but there is definitely something else too. The same with XT vs. Blofeld. The Blofeld sounds really nice but is thinner and cleaner than XT. The converters must play a big part here and I also believe that the synth engines are not identical between different models although they sure share some of the code.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by F5D ➑️
Thanks for the info of differen Q versions cosmos, really interesting. .
thumbsup

Quote:
The converters must play a big part here and I also believe that the synth engines are not identical between different models although they sure share some of the code.
the converters are defenitly affecting the sound, i myself preffer the older/dirtier sounding converters to the new clean ones found in the Blofeld...

plus dont forget that Waldorf has changed hands recently. who knows what changed with the new company, code programmers, new parts suppliers, could be anything..
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
how about a Q rack & Pulse ? ? ?
+1 Nice digital poly with a fat, beefy analogue mono for about the price of a used Virus TI.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
it may sound strange but to our ears the Yellow Q sounded better then the Blue (keyboards)
cosmos, you're losing your credibility by saying stuff like that tutt
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteblues ➑️
cosmos, you're losing your credibility by saying stuff like that tutt
realy ? and hows that ?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
realy ? and hows that ?
isn't the yellow Q and the blue Q exactly the same hardware?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They are the same Q but could be different revision to the hardware componets inside, there are 3 version (grey, yellow, blue) which released on different times.. in our test even the OS were the same in all 3.. and still the yellow sounded abit more agressive, very little change but it was there.

some say that the Shadow XT sounds different to the original but i dident test that one .. yet.

maybe some day.
Old 18th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I also suggest getting an analog synth. If you don't want to get a second hand synth, the prophet 8 rack or keyboard is very good for the price and easily beats both the virus and Q what comes to the sound. Virus and Q are very nice digital synths but cannot touch real analog synths. It is amazing what already 1 real analog voice can do. If you want a cheap mono analog, you could try waldorf pulse too. Amazingly powerful for the price!

If you still want to go digital, get a Q or blofeld instead. Virus is boring because all newbies have one (and nothing else) these days. heh
The Q goes beyond most analog synths in sonic depth, modulation options, voice panning, etc.
πŸ“ Reply