Waldorf Q vs Access Virus TI - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Waldorf Q vs Access Virus TI
Old 18th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
it may be just me, but considering the going prices id always go for a Jupiter 6 rather than P8. if "analogueness" is desired, it delivers in spades compared to P8. it got true Curtis VCOs, a Jupiter series multimode filter, and cross-modulation (fm) of VCOs, three things i miss the most on P8 design.

in addition, JP-6 is one of the most stable and solid built polysynths of all times, so the vintage maintenance aspect is not as important here as with some other quirky beasts from 70s/80s. yes changing its capacitors is always a good thing, but calculate that in the initial price and its still a bargain for what it gives back.

ymmv.

check this demo of multitracked JP-6 to get a glimpse of its character:
http://www.mousepadrecords.ch/jupite...20Callisto.mp3

cheers
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I owned a Jupiter-6 years ago and don't miss it at all. As an analog vco poly, it is missing a lot in the character dept, especially when comparing it to my prophet-5.
Old 18th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've been waiting 9 years, hoping to better understand how the Waldorf Q compares to most analog synths. Thanks!
Old 19th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALESIS-ION ➡️
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I owned a Jupiter-6 years ago and don't miss it at all. As an analog vco poly, it is missing a lot in the character dept, especially when comparing it to my prophet-5.
horses for courses

i happen to love its character, probably more now that i have a unit of my own. it's definitely holding its own next to my jup8 and p5 etc. each excels at its thing so i don't feel p5 replaces a jup6. and vice versa.

and to compare, i'd say the early 80s sonic print is more present on the P5 (rev3) and that can be both a good and a bad thing, whereas Jup6 depending on the sounds you program can sound both 80s synth pop/electro, due to curtis vco sizzle, as well as 90s/00s electronics - where its watery roland filter was so ubituqous (for ex. moby, chemical brothers, early orbital).

in polyanalog context, for me, it was the missing piece of the puzzle

PS i actually sold the mighty xpander after getting it. no looking back. flexibility was all great, but basic tone wasn't doing it for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 ➡️
I've been waiting 9 years, hoping to better understand how the Waldorf Q compares to most analog synths. Thanks!
9 years? but couldn't you find one to test drive in all this time, and few analogs as well ?

seriously tho, depending on what you want of it, it can be either dissapointing (if you want real analog sound) or, so much more than analog synth can be. a unique beast with wonderful smooth digital sound that combines elements of subtractive synthesis, fm and wavetabling with a solid modulation and dual filters.

i just spent last 3 days jamming and doing a tons of new sounds on mine, and fell in love all over again. its that sort of board, whatever time you put into it - it delivers and still can suprise you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by clusterchord ➡️
horses for courses

i happen to love its character, probably more now that i have a unit of my own. it's definitely holding its own next to my jup8 and p5 etc. each excels at its thing so i don't feel p5 replaces a jup6. and vice versa.

and to compare, i'd say the early 80s sonic print is more present on the P5 (rev3) and that can be both a good and a bad thing, whereas Jup6 depending on the sounds you program can sound both 80s synth pop/electro, due to curtis vco sizzle, as well as 90s/00s electronics - where its watery roland filter was so ubituqous (for ex. moby, chemical brothers, early orbital).

in polyanalog context, for me, it was the missing piece of the puzzle

PS i actually sold the mighty xpander after getting it. no looking back. flexibility was all great, but basic tone wasn't doing it for me.

Yeah....there was just something missing in the character of it's basic tone. Even though I am no fan of the Junos, they have a bit more on the character side of things. Having said that, my Nord Lead can do most of what the J6 could do, and the Waldorf Q even moreso.

I love both analog and VA/digital. I used to be an analog purist, but no more.
Having said that, my p5 still surprises me every day. Never selling it.

On a side note, I reconnected with the Juno-106 this week, and sold it in 3 days. Why? My System-8 emulates it perfectly and even allows for varying the chorus.

9 years? but couldn't you find one to test drive in all this time, and few analogs as well ?

seriously tho, depending on what you want of it, it can be either dissapointing (if you want real analog sound) or, so much more than analog synth can be. a unique beast with wonderful smooth digital sound that combines elements of subtractive synthesis, fm and wavetabling with a solid modulation and dual filters.

i just spent last 3 days jamming and doing a tons of new sounds on mine, and fell in love all over again. its that sort of board, whatever time you put into it - it delivers and still can suprise you.

Yeah....there was just something missing in the character of it's basic tone. Even though I am no fan of the Junos, they have a bit more on the character side of things. Having said that, my Nord Lead can do most of what the J6 could do, and the Waldorf Q even moreso.

I love both analog and VA/digital. I used to be an analog purist, but no more.
Having said that, my p5 still surprises me every day. Never selling it.

On a side note, I reconnected with the Juno-106 this week, and sold it in 3 days. Why? My System-8 emulates it perfectly and even allows for varying the chorus.
Old 19th January 2018
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
The Virus can sound more analog than the Prophet 08 to me. I MUCH prefer the Virus A and B to the C or later though. I don't know the Q.

The Virus B has a hidden 3rd oscillator that detunes in the opposite direction from it's 2nd oscillator! It's really handy.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by suckerformimi ➡️
The Virus can sound more analog than the Prophet 08 to me. I MUCH prefer the Virus A and B to the C or later though. I don't know the Q.

The Virus B has a hidden 3rd oscillator that detunes in the opposite direction from it's 2nd oscillator! It's really handy.
Yeah but than what?
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
Yeah but than what?
Sorry, I don't understand your question!
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
It's a meme...

You have 2 Osc and you detune them..than what?

My buddy got TI, I found it quite domestic compared to Q, and understood why gigging keyboardists rushed to get it as soon they had the funds...
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's an old meme from back in the day, someone asked how to make a reece bass by saying 'you take two oscillators and detune them, than what?'

And people laughed so turned into a meme
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasseru ➡️
It's an old meme from back in the day, someone asked how to make a reece bass by saying 'you take two oscillators and detune them, than what?'

And people laughed so turned into a meme
Thanks for the memesplain. Hard to keep up!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 ➡️
Nine year old thread...
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
None!
Old 19th January 2018
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
After 9 years I hope you've forgotten about things like the Q and TI,
and realized that the only thing that matters nowadays is analog.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
'Resplendent', or, 'Dynamic'... 'Precise', or, 'Accurate'; take your pick. It's just words, to your, 'ears', or, 'mind'.

Last edited by mildheadwound; 19th January 2018 at 08:26 PM.. Reason: Continuity
Old 20th January 2018 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
After 9 years I hope you've forgotten about things like the Q and TI,
and realized that the only thing that matters nowadays is analog.
HUH?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaxman12 ➡️
HUH?

Oops - forgot to include the 'sarcasm' smilie.

Don't worry - I've still got my Q.
The TI is gone though.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by felis ➡️
Oops - forgot to include the 'sarcasm' smilie.

Don't worry - I've still got my Q.
The TI is gone though.
📝 Reply