How much is my CS 60 worth now? - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How much is my CS 60 worth now?
Old 23rd January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
How much is my CS 60 worth now?

Hi all,

complete newb posting! I've held onto my CS 60 since around 1986 complete with stand, volume and sustain pedals and original carry/storage bag for the latter. It's absolutely mint cosmetically, but has always had a slightly out-of-tune 7th oscillator which actually warms up after a while and comes into tune (always been like that and disappears in sustain mode - had the original engineer 'Dusty' in Milton Keynes have a look at it years ago, but still the same).

Come to the point where I'm going to have to sort my 2 homes in different places situation and lear to ravel light (it's been sitting in one house for at least 15 years!). Would appreciate any direction here since it's so rare to see one for sale.

Also once occurred to me that with the extra miniature memory contorl panel that it might be possible to swap oscillators around and turn this into a kind of four voice poly CS 80 - any thoughts on that anyone.

This is the question I thought I'd never ask - always thought I'd just keep a collection :(

Cheers all
Old 23rd January 2009
Gear Head

🎧 15 years
To be honest I know of more CS-50s and CS-80s sold recently.
CS-80s are the hot polysynth that everyone with money and space has to have. Estimating prices is difficult now that the pound has shrunk against the dollar and euro; the last ones sold in VEMIA were a CS-80 sold in the USA in April 08 for 5000 UK pounds (then about $10K, now about $7K !) and a CS-50 sold for 1000 UK pounds in Nov 08 (sold in England, bought in the Czech Republic). Both in good working condition and cosmetically pretty nice.
But I know of a dealer who paid 7K UK pounds for one at the end of last year, so he must have had a buyer for that at getting on for 10K UK pounds.
Quite a lot of 50s and 60s have been sacrificed to keep 80s going - I know, because I'm ashamed to say I did that to a 50.
I would imagine that a CS-60 in very good condition would be worth about 2K UK pounds - but how that translates to dollars at the moment isn't clear. Maybe $3K ? And yours sounds even better than 'very good'.
You could also ask on the Analogue Heaven group, which is almost entirely concerned with analogue synths.
Peter Forrest
VEMIA

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr_Jezz ➡️
Hi all,

complete newb posting! I've held onto my CS 60 since around 1986 complete with stand, volume and sustain pedals and original carry/storage bag for the latter. It's absolutely mint cosmetically, but has always had a slightly out-of-tune 7th oscillator which actually warms up after a while and comes into tune (always been like that and disappears in sustain mode - had the original engineer 'Dusty' in Milton Keynes have a look at it years ago, but still the same).

Come to the point where I'm going to have to sort my 2 homes in different places situation and lear to ravel light (it's been sitting in one house for at least 15 years!). Would appreciate any direction here since it's so rare to see one for sale.

Also once occurred to me that with the extra miniature memory contorl panel that it might be possible to swap oscillators around and turn this into a kind of four voice poly CS 80 - any thoughts on that anyone.

This is the question I thought I'd never ask - always thought I'd just keep a collection :(

Cheers all
Old 26th January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Peter,

many thanks for the comprehensive reply (I always suspected some were likely to become CS80 parts!). It looks like I'll look to sell in pounds then! Thanks for the advice - TBH I didn't know what VEMIA was until I saw your post - interesting! I'll ask on analogue heaven.

BTW - the question about converting into a 4 note poly "pseudo CS80" - Richard Lawson from RL music says an emphatic "No!".

Thanks again for the info,

Jezz
📝 Reply