Quantcast
Poly Analog Synth - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Poly Analog Synth
Old 25th January 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
+1 Andromeda

Been loving mine for years, love the sound. Versatile as heck. Constantly dumping sounds I make with it into my EMU for lovely, lovely results.

-origin
Old 15th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
Why not the MKS-30? It's basically a JX3p with velocity.
The JX-3P shares the same filter as the Jupiter 8. The rackmount version sounds a tad different due to the different 'packaged' filter/chips as used on later Rolands. Most say the keyboard sounds 'nicer' than the rack in this case.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Oberheim matrix 6. Cheap, overlooked, and is basically a modular synth with the matrix modulation. Is capable of some weird stuff, and its the only synth I own that has its own "intellegence", if you will. If you need any sound examples of what its capable of, feel free to email me at [email protected]

Also though, the JD800 is fantastic, the Andromeda is scary at the amount of stuff it can do, and I am going to second daves advice with a MW1.

alexP
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pro5 ➑️
The JX-3P shares the same filter as the Jupiter 8. The rackmount version sounds a tad different due to the different 'packaged' filter/chips as used on later Rolands. Most say the keyboard sounds 'nicer' than the rack in this case.
I had both and never noticed! Concerning the filter, that's interesting, but in reality I think the MKS30 is still more useable

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
i had a JX3P with programmer.
yea its a poor mans MKS80 but i never liked the sound and sold it off quickly. i much prefer the sound of a juno. they pretty much rock for pads - though i guess its not as versatile as the JX3P. i hear that the juno60 is the preferred variety of juno.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlmorley ➑️
I had both and never noticed! Concerning the filter, that's interesting, but in reality I think the MKS30 is still more useable
Yeah well if usability was the only concern I'd not be obsessed with filling my room with quirky old gear

true though the mks30 addresses some shortcomings of the 3P and the sound dif is probably moot in most cases - just pointing it out as it's one of the 'special things' about the 3P that a lot of people seem to overlook.

I can get certain tones on the 3P that closely resemble JP-8 work from records in the 80s (and I know the Juno 60 can do it too, with a slightly different character again, I had a Juno 6 but sold it). The two oscs are important for me in this case.

If I made music that 100% needed fast envs and a great bass end I'd go Juno (if the choice was between the two) - that's not to say the Juno can't do pads, but they just never seemed as.... 'special'

... ahh I don't know it was over ten years ago when I last used my Juno 6! most of the 'non bass' sounds I made on the juno sounded pretty much the same, maybe MY fault, but on the JX-3P (And 8P) I get massive variety considering their simple architecture... a richness of tone I think.

All I know is, if I was in the market for a JUNO It would have to be the Juno 60 - 6 at a push if I could live with it's lack of storage (again!) but not the 106.
Old 20th April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the juno60 and 106 sound great but dont offer the depth of the mks70. they do have a nicer tone though, IMO.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Throw in another vote for the Andromeda. Of all the analog polys I've owned, it's been my favorite. And it does wonderful pads.

I had a Rev 3 MKS-80 and ended up selling it, because it wasn't well suited for pad duty. It was a bit too "rough", great for basses and leads, but not for pads.

I've been told the OB series (OBX in particular) are great pad machines as well. I don't have firsthand experience with them though.

The Juno and JX8P/10/MKS-70 chorus circuit makes for some nice pads on those machines too.

Of course, don't forget about effects. Good effects can make pads out of sounds that might otherwise not fit the bill.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogholic ➑️
This is interesting...
Would you say that the rev 5 does pads "better" than the MKS-70 due to VCO:s, PWM?

I use a JX-10 and like it a lot, but it sounds a little "sterile" IMO at times
I would say the 70/JX will always do pads better than Jupiters, having had both. The 70/JX and MKS 80 have specific strengths and would best be used together to get the best of both worlds, or get something that covers both like an A6.

The A6 will stop production in a few months; if you have the money get that first and see would be my advice.
As far as it sounding a little sterile, i'd say that's just the Roland character and yes it can sound that way. Not the same warmth as some other brands, which matters more for some sounds than for others.

Go with an A6 or a 70/80 combo, knowing you can always sell them and try the other if not satisfied. First-hand trial and error is always the last word, you have to pull the trigger to find out.
Deleted 8456dd3
Elka Synthex does the best pads
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Alpha Junos do beautiful pads and are pretty inexpensive. Actually, just about every Roland piece I've used excelled at lush pads, JX8P, JVs, JDs, etc.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobJB06 ➑️
Elka Synthex does the best pads
Come on, your only input is to get something rare, expensive and hard to service? lol how about some suggestions on something a little more realistic and a tad less snobbish; there are other more easily attainable synths that render good pads. dfegad

Me i'll go with an A6 over that anyway.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by analogbass ➑️
Come on, your only input is to get something rare, expensive and hard to service? lol how about some suggestions on something a little more realistic and a tad less snobbish; there are other more easily attainable synths that render good pads. dfegad

Me i'll go with an A6 over that anyway.
You say that, until you hear them side by side. The filter + chorus on the Synthex blows away the A6 filters+fx.

not saying Synthex is necessarily the best answer to the OP's question, but dismissing it out of hand isn't right either.
Old 21st April 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️
You say that, until you hear them side by side. The filter + chorus on the Synthex blows away the A6 filters+fx.

not saying Synthex is necessarily the best answer to the OP's question, but dismissing it out of hand isn't right either.
Why don't you make a youtube video, it would be interesting to hear the difference.

Synthex is nice for sure but is hardly the only way to go for nice pads given the difficulty of getting one for most, and the price.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
+2 on the Microwave I , however not really analogue.

Roland MKS-50 is an equipped pad machine, also not exactly analogue either
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldgearguy ➑️

I would love to have a Synthex (in fact I am trying to save some money to pick one up) but the Andromeda can definitely do amazing pads. The Synthex owns a lot of its characteristic sound to THAT chorus (especially on its third setting), it's filter is different from the A6's filters. Personally, I had great results with the multimode filter in the A6, you have lowpass, highpass, bandpass, you can modulate their levels, cutoff and resonance and you can even put layers of patches for extra complexity.

However, the sound @ 0:58 in this youtube video:

YouTube - Elka Synthex

sends shivers everywhere..

I have disabled the onboard FX on my Andromeda (which are very mediocre) and use an H-8000 FW and couldn't be happier. When I get the Synthex, I will put both of them and report back...
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
The Synthex is a great design. CEM 3320 filters nicely implemented.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OurDarkness ➑️
I would love to have a Synthex (in fact I am trying to save some money to pick one up) but the Andromeda can definitely do amazing pads. The Synthex owns a lot of its characteristic sound to THAT chorus (especially on its third setting), it's filter is different from the A6's filters. Personally, I had great results with the multimode filter in the A6, you have lowpass, highpass, bandpass, you can modulate their levels, cutoff and resonance and you can even put layers of patches for extra complexity.

However, the sound @ 0:58 in this youtube video:

YouTube - Elka Synthex

sends shivers everywhere..

I have disabled the onboard FX on my Andromeda (which are very mediocre) and use an H-8000 FW and couldn't be happier. When I get the Synthex, I will put both of them and report back...

When I was beta testing the A6, I never had the effects turned on. When we submitted factory patches, sometimes they ended up in the machine with additional effects added to our base sound. IMHO, they should have not thrown in the FX section and instead used the space for additional synth capabilities.

I also agree -- I created most of my favorite A6 sounds using mainly the multi-mode filter.
πŸ“ Reply