Using vocoders in Cubase Studio 4 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Using vocoders in Cubase Studio 4
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Using vocoders in Cubase Studio 4

Hello all,

I seem to be having an issue routing correctly to use a vocoder VST in Cubase Studio 4.

I have a vocal accapella that I want to add some harmonies to using a vocoder.

The vocal sample is on an audio channel. This will be the modulator.

I can then open an fx channel and use something like TAL vocoder, CM vocoder or the MDA vocoder as an insert.

I then open an instrument channel to use any synth VST using a random pad sound which will be the carrier.

Once this is set up I can set the midi output of the vocal channel to the vocoder channel.

I then try to do the same with the synth channel, but the problem I'm finding is I cannot see an option to route this signal into the vocoder channel as well.

One option i've found is to use a midi channel instead of an instrument channel and I can then route the midi data to the vocoder but I no longer have the pad sound I want as the carrier.

It's best to assume my knowledge of midi and routing as extraordinarily limited....which it is. I am fairly sure i've got a grip on what i'm SUPPOSED to be doing though.
Old 21st January 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Make a copy of your vocal part. Use the vocoder as an INSERT on that channel. Then route a midi track to the VOCODER, it should show up in your track inspector. This is if you use the internal synth in the vocoder.

Another way that lets you use any VSTI or audio track ass the carrier, is to create a GROUP track, buss the vocal to it, and the output of your synth to it, each will have to be panned (1 left 1 right) and select "external" on the Cubase vocoder.

Check out my Waldor D-Coder on "Hunger For the Flesh" at the end of the song
Hyperspace on MySpace Music - Free Streaming MP3s, Pictures & Music Downloads

I think I actually like the Cubase vocoder slightly better!
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks i'll give that a try when I get home. As far as I can see Cubase Studio 4 doesn't have its own internal vocoder though.

Cheers
Old 21st January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Your second method kind of works but only with TAL vocoder, and still doesn't allow me to use a synth part as the carrier, only the waves inside TAL.

This is how I did it in FL when I used to use it. Carrier on a channel panned, modulator on another channel panned and both routed to the vocoder on a third channel, it's very simple :-

I have the CM vocoder which is exactly the same as the vocoder in FL, it's an image line product. I put that in the group channel as you suggested as an insert. I routed the vocals as before, and also the midi channel but now the CM vocoder on the group channel wont show up as an output on the midi channel

Confused? I am
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have been through so many bugs since I bought Cubase back in 1994 that I don't adopt until the very end- I still us SX. Check in your plugins menu under "Other" I didn't know the vocoder was there until I found it by accident! I can't imagine them taking it away. Don't feel bad, vocoders are like in instrument that takes a LOT of practice and experimentation.
Old 22nd January 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by superjc ➑️
I have been through so many bugs since I bought Cubase back in 1994 that I don't adopt until the very end- I still us SX. Check in your plugins menu under "Other" I didn't know the vocoder was there until I found it by accident! I can't imagine them taking it away. Don't feel bad, vocoders are like in instrument that takes a LOT of practice and experimentation.
Definately not there, I've even scanned the entire Cubase folder for the word 'vocoder'

I'm not concerned about taking my time and learning the use of vocoders, but I've heard a few tracks that use them in quite unusual ways and not the usual R&B nonsense.

Thanks for the suggestion.
πŸ“ Reply