The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Can polysix sound like a Prophet 5?
Old 3rd November 2008
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Can polysix sound like a Prophet 5?

I heard someone called the polysix the poor mans alternative to the Prophet 5. Are they even close in sound-at least in some aspect?
I have a p6, but have never played a Prophet 5.

kjell
Old 3rd November 2008
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Not really in my experience, but they are both analogue synths with limited polyphony, so it depends how discerning your tastes are I guess.
Both are nice synths IMO. Out of the two I would have the P5.
Old 3rd November 2008
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjellg ➑️
I heard someone called the polysix the poor mans alternative to the Prophet 5. Are they even close in sound-at least in some aspect?
I have a p6, but have never played a Prophet 5.

kjell
The Prophet 600 sounds much more like a Prophet 5.
Old 3rd November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
depends

I had p600 and polysix

and still have Prophet 5 rev 2 and rev 3

its true that P 600 sound closer to rev 3 than Polysix..but still not as fat lacking that P5 punch and brighter

but Polysix has ssm vcf and sound close to old rev 2 prophet wich is totally different sounding beast than rev 3

also Polysix is faster , fatter and more moogy sounding than P600 and close sounding to Rev 2 in simple sounds!!!!!

I would allways go for polysix if I would like to buy great cheap analog synths + It is reliable, and powerful synths!!!!
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I have always called it a "poor man's prophet 5" but it's been a little tongue in cheek.

I got my Polysix for $400 in Dubbo, second hand in a farm equipment shop in 1991.
It still had the battery in it, but going flat and I cleverly pulled it out well before it did any damage
to the synth when it went into storage for 10 years! I always thought of it as a kind of
stripped down Prophet, but really it's a different synth. It's really just 1 oscillator and a sub
per voice, so it's nowhere near as lush as a prophet, especially if you turn the FX off - no one does that, right?!

It is definitely a finer sounding instrument than the Sequential Multitrak though. I think the
Polysix is closer to a Juno 60, in terms of features, not
sound, so there's your competing market. I don't think there were any 1 Oscillator Amerikan
synths from that era, they are all Japanese. I might be wrong though. The PolySix with the
Ensemble FX enabled is a pretty lush synth though. I love it.

rachel
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Both are nice synths IMO. Out of the two I would have the P5.[/quote]

Me too I guess if I where a rich man... But its nice to hear they can be similar in sounds.

Thanks.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by roginator ➑️
depends

I had p600 and polysix

and still have Prophet 5 rev 2 and rev 3

its true that P 600 sound closer to rev 3 than Polysix..but still not as fat lacking that P5 punch and brighter

but Polysix has ssm vcf and sound close to old rev 2 prophet wich is totally different sounding beast than rev 3

also Polysix is faster , fatter and more moogy sounding than P600 and close sounding to Rev 2 in simple sounds!!!!!

I would allways go for polysix if I would like to buy great cheap analog synths + It is reliable, and powerful synths!!!!

I agree with some of what you say, but based on pure inherant tone and sound creation features the P600is a lot closer than a P6. It sounds like a SCI synth basically.

The korg sounds like a korg so i'd never buy a polysix to imitate a P5.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
The korg sounds like a korg so i'd never buy a polysix to imitate a P5.
My thoughts too. I used the Poly 6 from when it was first released in the early 80s until 6 years ago when I sold it in perfect condition for 400.00. I have never regretted it and never really liked the sound. I thought the unison mode was pretty unique for single sounds. Of course had I used it through an effects box, and if I added the MIDI kit it might be a different story. Back in those days good effects units were hard to find and the MIDI kit cost too much.

I also used a Poly 800 for maybe a year and hated it's cheap sound. There were a few excellent patches, but it sounded way too plastic for my tastes. Of course for $75 it's hard to go wrong.

My first synthesizer in the late 70s was a Korg MS10. I gave that away in the 80s and regret it. That's my only Korg regret.

I think "poor mans P-5 probably refers to the fact that in the early 80s there was no other keyboard that had anything close to a 32 memory micro processor..similar to the P-5. You could also store the patch data to cassette.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Thanks for the input everyone. The vintageexplorer wrote about the
poly 6:
"Engage the built-in chorus on a simple single oscillator saw tooth patch and you were pretty darned close to that expensive Prophet sound"

This is why I was curios to know if someone had the experience with both the p6 and p5 and to confirm if this is the case. Opinions are welcome anyway.

btw-I didnt buy the poly 6 for imitating the Prophet 5, I like it very much for the sound it have, but I was just curios for the thing I,ve mention above.
Old 4th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Polysix is decent enough, but no P5.
To me they are different.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I always though my Poly6 was a poor man's Oberheim, but that might just have been the colour scheme.....

Now, if it had just had MIDI it would have been a classic.
None of the subsequent Korgs came close (and I used to fix them back in the 80's).

Most should be dead now - the internal battery would leak onto the logic board and that would be "game over" (IIRC - it was 20+ years ago).

K.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
You can also get 'somewhat' close to sound I guess, but even the architecture is quite different. You can do many things on a P5 that you couldn't even think of doing on a Polysix. A lot of those things are where the P5 really shine.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
whell guys
about Poly6

I told only simple sounds can be imitated up to some degree to sound close to P5 rev 2
and that is due SSM vcf in Polysix ...ofcourese they are different but again depends what you compare ....

anyway I have bouth profets 5 so
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
For a budget I think the best synth is the Kawai SX240. 2 DCO, 8 voice poly, sequencer, SSM 2044 filter chips (same as Polysix and early P5) can be split on the keyboard and has Midi.
The polysix VCO sounds richer and that is it's strength I think. The Kawai isn't as "analog" sounding, but it is much more powerful in other ways and can be had for cheap. SX210 is the single DCO version.

SX-240
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
yep, if one synth is to be considered a "poor man's P5", that would be P600. as most P5's floating arround are a Rev3 anyways. together with tons of other SCI models using CEM chips, its easy to see why CEM/Curtis sound is usually regarded, as "Sequential" sound.

Rev2 is different but i wouldnt go as far to say Polysix is a "poorman's" version of it. some resemblance in filter but thats it. VCOs are quite different. using Trident mk1 in such equation, IME is perhaps more accurate - with two vcos engaged, detuned, and filter in dark/closed position it can sometimes evoke Rev2 pads.
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
well not like 100 but if you good with syn you may be come close like about 80
Old 5th November 2008

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjellg ➑️
I heard someone called the polysix the poor mans alternative to the Prophet 5.
Since i MIDI-ed my Polysix i've tried things like overdub / layer and detune the same sound, etc. but there was no way to achieve anything from that Patrick Cowley Prophet 5 Rev 2 sound. Nothing!
Old 5th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
HEy Don

just to let you know

Cowley didnot used only Rev 2 prophet 5

also: EMU Modular ..one of firts, Pro one, ARP AXXE, Polysix, OBXa..specialy for that intro on MENERGY!!
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Perhaps this topic should be called: Can the polysix sound similar to a Prophet 5? And from what I,ve read it can to a certain degreed but its ofcource not exactly the same.

This is a different tread, but I,m very curios to ask you clever syntpeople:
If I,m after the Prophet 5 sound-what about a less expensive alternative,like the Prophet 08 or the ASB Pro 12?(emulation of p5)
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Prophet 600
Old 6th November 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Is this thread legit? I never thought the PolySix was anywhere close to a P5 in sound.
Old 18th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Well, I've never played a Prophet 5 but I have a Pro One which understand is pretty much a mono version of the Prophet.
I also have a Polysix. As others have said the Polysix sounds like a korg and the Pro like an SCI. The Polysix has a more smooth tone whereas the Pro one is much more raw sounding. I find it harder to find the sweet spots with the pro one but when you do you get some pretty cool tones, I'd imagine with polyphony a lot of the tones you can't really use on a mono would become usable.
In answer to the question; basically yes kinda and mainly no. The first example I think of when it comes to Prophet tones is early Cure records and I have been able to create that sort of tone and feel with the Polysix. That being said those sorts of pads are reasonably easily achieved on any decent synth.
The Polysix tone-wise sounds more like its MS prececessors and obviously the Monopoly, but it lacks the synthesis control options of these synths and the prophets.
And finally, of the synths I own the polysix was my 1st and is still my favourite. Though sadly it is ill. Any Polysix repair experts out there? or anyone with a polysix being wrecked for parts, I'd love to here from you...
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Back in the day you could buy a Polysix or a P5. If you couldn't afford a P5, but you could afford a Polysix, then the Polysix was your "poor man's" version of the P5. Other than incidental similarities, like many synths share, that was the only reason to consider a Polysix a "poor man's" Prophet 5.
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
I had Polysix when it was released and I remember that Prophet was just too expensive for me.
I liked my Polysix and it was good, but when I put my hands to P5 (I bought one many years later) Polysix just disappeared from the picture, not as bad synth, but just unecessary in family of better synths.
Old 19th February 2009
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
So the answer here is polysix can only do some of the basic p5 sounds.I owned a p5 and played a polysix back in the day.Polysix i thought and still think is a toy compared to the p5 .

Dan P
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Space Station ➑️
The Prophet 600 sounds much more like a Prophet 5.
Bingo. The 5 is fatter, more powerful and has stronger attack, but the 600 also has some attributes the 5 doesn't and is quite powerful itself. In a mix they can often do similar things.
Old 19th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Or simply, for what it does P5 is king. No more, no less.
If we talk about alternatives, of course other synths enter into picture.
Old 20th February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
The Polysix was called the 'poor man's Prophet-5' for one reason: it was an extremely affordable (in comparison) polyphonic analogue synth with patch storage. That's where the comparison ends. It was nothing to do with the sound at all.

Personally I really dig the sound of the Polysix - it's great for ravey/hooveresque stabs and filthy (noisy) unison bass, but I'd never claim that it sounds like a P5.
Old 21st February 2009 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
hmmmm. i might have been guilty of calling it that.
i feel its a relatively undervalued and underrated analog polysynth that fulfills most polysynth duties rather well. the stock p6 is missing the noise and polymod section of the prophet 5 but its got additional features as well (arpeggiator, effects section etc) and a different but quite lovely sound. ive been blabbing about how much i love the p6 lately. i definitely consider this a must have for anyone with a collection of polysynths, myself included. which is why one of the next ones we restore is staying here with me. after we install a midi retrofit of course.
mini
Old 27th February 2009 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smaug ➑️
And finally, of the synths I own the polysix was my 1st and is still my favourite. Though sadly it is ill. Any Polysix repair experts out there? or anyone with a polysix being wrecked for parts, I'd love to here from you...
Head on over to the Polysix Yahoo group - lots of good repair info there, and some very knowledgeable folks. Your CPU board (KLM367) is probably damaged from battery leakage. Mine was badly damaged, but with patience and help from the Yahoo group, I was able to repair it myself. If it is the battery problem, you will have to be good enough at soldering to be capable of replacing (and socketing) chips.

Although I had to do a lot of rewiring, I only had to replace one chip on the CPU board, along with a couple of capacitors. I also had to replace a couple of chips on the effects board, but they were socketed so it was really simple.

I've attached a pic of my repaired board, so you can see the extent of the damage!

Frank

πŸ“ Reply