The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
The validity of sample packs
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The validity of sample packs

Joined Splice then quit after it seemed inauthentic & just to easy too string together other peoples samples & call it my own..

Seemed like I was cheating, or is this the new way?

Am I tripping?
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

Some of it is definitely a bit too “Paint By Numbers” for me…

I do have two famous Sample CDs from the 90s that I actually bought way back then, but I generally just sample things myself.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Perhaps, you should worry more about making the best possible music.

There are 1000 ways to process a sample in order to make it sound unique and 1000 ways to use it to make your music unique.

It feels like today, the more tools, the more samples, the more synths, the more powerful the DAW, the less imagination and creativity, or maybe just because the more time spent hoarding shits from the internet, the less time spent actually producing tracks...
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
It’s a tool like anything else.
Use em.

Not as fun imho though
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I have no problem using samples from packs when needed.

Look at every classic song from the 80s/90s with anything remotely electronic or synth in it. How many times have we heard the same M1 and DX7 presets over and over and people are STILL using them today. Same shit, it's all about how you use it and put it into your own context.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Using a sampler means u can take audio from literally anything. Any instrument, any record, any film or tv show, any sound made in the real world, etc etc etc.

Yet ppl choose to use sample packs?

lol

This is why music is trash now.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Nut
I don't think it's "cheating" I think it's a shortcut to reach a goal.

But it's also a way of robbing yourself of the knowledge of truly creating music.

There are of course very creative ways of using samples. But could you really claim a track as your own if you just use the sample "as is" and base your whole track around it? I guess so, but where's the fun in that?
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by NEXUS-6 ➡️
Joined Splice then quit after it seemed inauthentic & just to easy too string together other peoples samples & call it my own..
Then don't do that? If I'm shopping for samples, I'm thinking about how I would chop it, not if I can drag and drop it into a tune. I don't know that I see a huge distinction between sampling from a record and buying a sample pack. Regardless of where you draw the line on sampling as authentic, it's no longer 100% your music. If the goal is to make a good track, and you find the right sound online versus on a record, what's the difference?

IMHO Splice is better than prepackaged sample sets because the onus is on you to pick individual samples, loops etc. There's at least a little bit of intent necessary there beyond clicking and pulling out your credit card. I end up with a lot less rif raff. YMMV
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Definitely take whatever is the most satisfying path towards making your music.
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Definitely take whatever is the most satisfying path towards making your music.
If someone is satisfied using premade “samples” they should quit making music altogether.
Deleted 39b332e
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
If someone is satisfied using premade “samples” they should quit making music altogether.
I blame readymade shit like dance ejay as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It’s not my thing, but gatekeeping isn’t either.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If someone is satisfied listening to premade “music” they should quit making music altogether.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
There's no such thing as cheating in music because it's not a game that awards points or is based on skill. You don't get a higher score for making everything yourself.

There is however lying - mostly to yourself. "I could've played that live. I could've hit that note. I could've come up with that myself."

How often is a studio secret a matter of buying the right box and not telling anyone? How many songs had the benefit of money - of being the first to get a DX7, a Fairlight or whatnot - and to use the factory presets right out of the box?

Duchamp got away with ready made art because the first time it's clever and exciting; everyone afterwards is a copycat.

Splice has other, bigger problems, though:

https://youtu.be/pbOop_za_OY
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
It’s not my thing, but gatekeeping isn’t either.
Unlike you, I consider standing up for what’s right and good to be not optional.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is next level weird and further how would you even know if someone was using premade samples from a pack?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, like these know-and-can-nothings that used that one preset from that piano-thingie over and over again... these Bachs and Beethovens and Mozarts... disgusting. Didn't they have the slightest creativity? Or the likes of Miles Davis... over and over using the same one-preset-instrument.

How stupid is that? Why aren't these cheats called out day by day?

Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nothing wrong with using samples. Just don’t make generic crap.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwhistle ➡️
That is next level weird and further how would you even know if someone was using premade samples from a pack?
Next level weird? Wow you must live a really sheltered life.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Next level weird is fancying yourself to be doing “creative” work where you use materials someone made for you to be “creative” with. Do you get your sample packs from Michael’s?

Lol this kind of clownery and defense of clownery is why music is trash.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Mother****ers on this board would defend a Michelin starred chef using only store bought canned ingredients.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Gearslutz full of “chefs” who take a frozen pizza and throw a little grated parmesan and dried oregano on top lololol
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
One shots are ok. Loops naw.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Next level weird? Wow you must live a really sheltered life.
I don’t see the problem. If you use a Linn drum you are using a sample somebody else made. It’s what you do with sounds that matters, not where they came from.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Unlike you, I consider standing up for what’s right and good to be not optional.
The problem is the use of samples or how people use them is so trivial and and such a first world issue, your not really standing up for anything you are just pointlessly virtue signaling

With all the issues the world faces, where a billion people didn't eat today, a world where millions of people wonder if tonight is the night missiles destroy their homes, or warlords kill their children

How other people use samples is just a non issue it's crazy
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Next level weird is fancying yourself to be doing “creative” work where you use materials someone made for you to be “creative” with. Do you get your sample packs from Michael’s?

Were the hip hop artists who used samples from the Ultimate Breaks and Beats albums of the 80s “chefs who used store bought canned ingredients” or do they get a pass?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ulti...eaks_and_Beats
Lives for gear

Quote:

When I produce music for artists who are performers or a group of performers, it requires "doing creative work using materials someone made for me to be creative with." They essentially become their own "sample pack". If someone else can make better music with purchased samples, I think that's awesome. It's so hard to find success in art, I'm sincerely happy for anyone who can pull it off. Don't waste your energy being mad at people who use samples. Making your own awesome music that you love should be more fun than roasting people on the internet.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

I remember when I first bought the synth plugin Spire. The Reveal Sound "sound store" included nothing but Spire patches. (Even though I program most of my own sounds, I don't have a hard and fast rule about it. I have no problem using presets so long as they are not too identifiable.) But now the sound store includes mostly audio construction kits and no Spire presets! WTF?

This is where I draw the line. Most of the fun I have writing music comes from creating sophisticated chords progressions that never veer into the dreaded "Jazz" zone. Classical yes. Jazz no. LOL.

So I would never use someone else's chord progression loops or even the accompanying bass and melody parts. Doing so is an embarrassingly lame crutch for people who don't know how to write music. I mean, why even bother? Take up another hobby if you can't be arsed to acquire even the most basic skills to write your own songs. Here's a tip: Consider practicing the piano for fvck's sake.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm always wary of folks who think their opinions are veritable truths. Especially the snooty ones.

I suspect there can be both creative and non-creative uses for sample packs. Sturgeon's Law says that 90% of it will be crap. But Sturgeon's Law and Corollary says that about everything.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by metrosonus ➡️
One shots are ok. Loops naw.
Depends on how creatively it's used. Sampling this loop turned out pretty good for the music world.

📝 Reply