The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Your gear plans for 2023?
Old 21st December 2022
Your gear plans for 2023?

Just glanced at my post in the "Your gear plans for the year 2022" thread and my, how things have changed. Still GAS'ing for a Super-6, but now that I've finally played a Moog One in person—no other synth will do. I used to absolutely love ROMplers, and I guess I still do, but everything else (except my VirusTI Polar) now sounds less-than to me.

Gear plans for 2023:

1. Moog One 16V.
2. Korg Drumlogue or Erica Synths LXR-02 Eurorack module.

Once I get the Moog One, I'll see how it plays with my Prophet-6 (which I immediately wanted to dump for the P5R4 as soon as I played one). Unfortunately, my P6 and OB-6 will probably complement the Moog One extremely well (so, can't sell them . . . yet). See, the goal here is to have the Moog One be the be all, end all of all my synths—I think it's that good, and its sounds that varied.

Everything else I own pales in comparison—the lush, organic and versatile sound of the Moog One feels like the only sounds I want to make from now on. Again, I'll keep the ROMplers, but everything else is potential fodder for the chopping-block.

Currently, I only have room for four keyboards at a time but just ordered two three-tier stands, so I'll be able to have up to 10 keyboards set-up. So, a mere six months after my last post, my planned 2023 set-up is below has changed considerably (planned purchases in bold; unbolded, already own).

1. Moog One 16V.
2. Moog Little Phatty/Slim Phatty polychain.
3. VirusTI Polar.
4. Fantom-7.
5. Montage-6.
6. Korg Kronos Platinum-88.
7. Prophet-X.
8. Prophet-5 Rev.4 (if able to sell Prophet-6).
9. Roland JD-Xa.
10. Roland System-8 (purposed as a noise/special-effects generator/lead & bass machine).

If I can do without them, I'll sell my Prophet-6 and OB-6 keyboards. Maybe even sell the Prophet-X and/or Quantum (though, I really love the Quantum's UI/UX—it's really how a 21st-century synth should look/work). Selling any three would fully fund the Moog One 16V.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Try to get rid of this prophet 5 3.3
Old 21st December 2022
Yeah, I would really like to downsize—by quite a bit, actually. But everything I've ever sold, I've regretted (e.g., had to buy my System-8 twice).
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I don’t have space or inputs for anything else right now, so any new items would likely mean getting rid of something(s) else. At this point, there’s nothing I really want to get rid of, but if/when Sequential releases a Trigon 6 desktop or I find a great deal on an SE CODE/Omega, some of my current synths will be very nervous. I also keep eyeing the Jomox Alpha Base, so that would probably replace an Elektron box or two. I guess I’ll check back in a year and see how far off I was….
Old 21st December 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryophonik ➡️
. . . if I find a great deal on an SE CODE/Omega, some of my current synths will be very nervous.
Yup! The CODE/OMEGAs had been my holy grail synths for some time. This feeling disappeared once I played the Moog One (same for The River and the DD). Alpha Base seems really cool.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

6 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I’m going to be making as compact of a setup as possible so I don’t get as lost in the sounds.

I’ll be using more ITB instruments but keeping my modular out for the key sounds.

Focusing on composition
Old 21st December 2022
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by studio460 ➡️
Just glanced at my post in the "Your gear plans for the year 2022" thread and my, how things have changed. Still GAS'ing for a Super-6, but now that I've finally played a Moog One in person—no other synth will do. I used to absolutely love ROMplers, and I guess I still do, but everything else (except my VirusTI Polar) now sounds less-than to me.

Gear plans for 2023:

1. Moog One 16V.
2. Korg Drumlogue or Erica Synths LXR-02 Eurorack module.

Once I get the Moog One, I'll see how it plays with my Prophet-6 (which I immediately wanted to dump for the P5R4 as soon as I played one). Unfortunately, my P6 and OB-6 will probably complement the Moog One extremely well (so, can't sell them . . . yet). See, the goal here is to have the Moog One be the be all, end all of all my synths—I think it's that good, and its sounds that varied.

Everything else I own pales in comparison—the lush, organic and versatile sound of the Moog One feels like the only sounds I want to make from now on. Again, I'll keep the ROMplers, but everything else is potential fodder for the chopping-block.

Currently, I only have room for four keyboards at a time but just ordered two three-tier stands, so I'll be able to have up to 10 keyboards set-up. So, a mere six months after my last post, my planned 2023 set-up is below has changed considerably (planned purchases in bold; unbolded, already own).

1. Moog One 16V.
2. Moog Little Phatty/Slim Phatty polychain.
3. VirusTI Polar.
4. Fantom-7.
5. Montage-6.
6. Korg Kronos Platinum-88.
7. Prophet-X.
8. Prophet-5 Rev.4 (if able to sell Prophet-6).
9. Roland JD-Xa.
10. Roland System-8 (purposed as a noise/special-effects generator/lead & bass machine).

If I can do without them, I'll sell my Prophet-6 and OB-6 keyboards. Maybe even sell the Prophet-X and/or Quantum (though, I really love the Quantum's UI/UX—it's really how a 21st-century synth should look/work). Selling any three would fully fund the Moog One 16V.
Me, I'll hardly have physical room nor budget for new gear in 2023. I'll try to master what I've gathered, notably in 2022.
I have even run out of storage ("hard-disk" and equivalents) space.

I have bought things I'd never before heard of (like DI-Boxes) and things I was sure I wouldn't need yet another of (guitars, amps).

I describe my apartment as "the trenches", but I do feel privileged to have all these things to create something beautiful. (I also have quite a collection of (power and hand) tools.) - Now it's up to my body and soul to put them to creative work.)

I'm curious to see the role of my Squier Stratocaster. I bought it as a mere tool (like a power drill or a farm tractor), but I have fitted it with a Fishman TriplePlay for use with soft synths. (I could use other gear for that, too.)
Old 21st December 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I'm planning on upgrading my two old trash can Mac Pros to Mac Studios. Instrument wise I promised myself no more guitars, but we'll see haha. As far as synths go, I'm still gassing for a P10/P6 and/or OB6. And on the slim chance the Behringer Solina and UB-XA are available in 2023 I'll probably pick them up. I sold more gear than I bought in 2022, and am actually enjoying a slightly slimmed down setup, especially considering I'm spending more and more time abroad. Although I'm currently in Siberia for 3 months and am keeping an eye out for an old Soviet stringer (perhaps that EM-25) to pick up and leave over here, although it seems to be pretty slim pickings in this area.
Old 21st December 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I just updated this year...landed on this for hardware:

Synths:
1. Juno-X
2. Prophet 10 / Prophet 6
3. Moog Subsequent37
4. Moog Grandmother
5. Wurlitzer 200a

Drums:
1. Roland TR-8s
2. Deluge

Pedals:
1. UAFX Astra, Starlight, Golden
2. Microcosm

Everything else is plugins. I might sell one of the Prophets if I find I'm lacking something. Might add a huge reverb like a Big Sky or Specular Tempus. Otherwise, I'm with the poster above, gear is better than it's ever been...focusing on writing/composition for 2023.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by delichef ➡️
I just updated this year...landed on this for hardware:

Synths:
1. Juno-X
2. Prophet 10 / Prophet 6
3. Moog Subsequent37
4. Moog Grandmother
5. Wurlitzer 200a

Drums:
1. Roland TR-8s
2. Deluge

Pedals:
1. UAFX Astra, Starlight, Golden
2. Microcosm

Everything else is plugins. I might sell one of the Prophets if I find I'm lacking something. Might add a huge reverb like a Big Sky or Specular Tempus. Otherwise, I'm with the poster above, gear is better than it's ever been...focusing on writing/composition for 2023.
Regarding the Big Sky, I can highly recommend going the plugin for a cheaper/more convenient option if you don't play live with it. Sold my hardware Big Sky after grabbing that and haven't looked back
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moon_Studios ➡️
Regarding the Big Sky, I can highly recommend going the plugin for a cheaper/more convenient option if you don't play live with it. Sold my hardware Big Sky after grabbing that and haven't looked back
Ahh that's great to know, thanks! I've mostly been trying to avoid buying hardware effects but I like having a small selection on hand. Maybe I'll start with the Big Sky plugin first.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want to go 12 months without buying anything. I have gear that I don’t use already, no point buying more.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear
Same as 2022 thread, still waiting for Osmose.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

Same plans as 2022: use my gear more (pesky work).

I’d like to pick up a tele to go with the synths, bass guitar and Chapman Stick. And I’d like to buy some new strings for the Stick – it’s only got nine at the moment.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
I want to go 12 months without buying anything. I have gear that I don’t use already, no point buying more.
I do understand you and can see it your way.

But how about (a musical equivalent of) a fire extinguisher? ;-)
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by igglebiggle ➡️
Same plans as 2022: use my gear more (pesky work).

I’d like to pick up a tele to go with the synths, bass guitar and Chapman Stick. And I’d like to buy some new strings for the Stick – it’s only got nine at the moment.
I had never heard of the Chapman Stick before.

Interesting instrument! Does it feel like filling a niche, or like being in (at least) two minds?

Me, I have an Artiphon Instrument 1, which may pose the same question. ;-)

PS: If you should want not just a Telecaster, but rather a guitar with a wide scope, do consider a Godin xtSA, a Brian May Red Special, or (like me) both. (For the latter, do include a Treble Booster.)
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
If life goes according to plan () I'll be buying these in '23:

OB-X8
Third Wave
Trigon 6
Pro-3
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisLaarman ➡️
I had never heard of the Chapman Stick before.

Interesting instrument! Does it feel like filling a niche, or like being in (at least) two minds?

Me, I have an Artiphon Instrument 1, which may pose the same question. ;-)

PS: If you should want not just a Telecaster, but rather a guitar with a wide scope, do consider a Godin xtSA, a Brian May Red Special, or (like me) both. (For the latter, do include a Treble Booster.)
A friend has the Brian May, heh heh.

The Stick is an amazing instrument. You can sound ok on it fairly quickly, but to master it is a whole other story. It’s most like a keyboard in terms of playing technique and hand independence. I bought mine many years ago from Emmett himself (RIP) but then I had a family, and life got in the way. Once I get some hours in my wee “studio” I hope to up my Stick proficiency!
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I want to fix the broken stuff I have laying around! Namely an Emulator II and Juno 106. They've been dead weight and space for as long as I've owned them. Would certainly feel like new gear once they're playable
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by hogberto ➡️
If life goes according to plan () I'll be buying these in '23:

OB-X8
Third Wave
Trigon 6
Pro-3
First two of those are on my wish-list - as in wish-I-had-the-spare-cash-to-drop-on-those-list .
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
My to do list for 2023?
- Finish renovations of the house we bought this summer.
- Tear down and pack the whole studio (together with the rest of the house).
- Move.
- Rebuild the whole studio in the new place, which will be larger and nicer, but understandably will be the very last thing we complete in the house (it's not my full-time job, so it will be among the last priorities).
Considering all of the above, I'll consider myself lucky if I'm able to ever play and record some synths before next summer.
I'll take this as a once-in-a-lifetime chance to rationalize my setup and sell off a few things!

Also, reading about the Chapman stick above makes me think that while my studio is mothballed it will be the perfect time to put in some serious practice time on my Theremin and Harpejji .
Old 21st December 2022
Deleted 39b332e
None... unless something of interest and use comes along. I don't buy gear just to keep up with the joneses.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Same as last year. On a mission to de-clutter.

Have too much stuff in one room. As i get older, I seem to be noticing the focus is more important than variety. (ie having too many options, tends to de-focus & muddy spontaneous ideas).

This year nothing will be added, only selling to replace something sold or moving gear I don't use so much into a cupboard, so it can be fetched when needed.
Deleted 39b332e
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️
I decluttered a while back there, sold off a lot of Behringer gear. I find i can concentrate more on my music with the minimal of gear. Buying something new becomes a distraction as you have to learn it (the learning curve), then your other gear gets neglected. I try avoid those menu diving synths if possible, that's the biggest time-waster.
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Eventide H90 and Ableton Live upgrade.
If some new small thingies appear, such as a new Volca or Aira Compact, I'll probably be tempted and get those.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 39b332e ➡️
None... unless something of interest and use comes along. I don't buy gear just to keep up with the joneses.
Who does? ;-)
Old 21st December 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
2 things…

Patch bay and/or more inputs for my RME UCX.

Acoustic treatment

Really I just want to use what I have and these will both help.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by flat ➡️

Have too much stuff in one room. As i get older, I seem to be noticing the focus is more important than variety. (ie having too many options, tends to de-focus & muddy spontaneous ideas).

This year nothing will be added, only selling to replace something sold or moving gear I don't use so much into a cupboard, so it can be fetched when needed.
Here I am, retired, and focussing on variety... ;-)
Old 21st December 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
pretty much sums it up for me
Attached Thumbnails
Your gear plans for 2023?-345.jpg  
Attached Images
Your gear plans for 2023?-kjhkjh.jpg 
Old 21st December 2022

3 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
a year of Bitwig upgrades
BlackMagic Design Speed Editor (video)
parts for DIY
nothing else planned. don't think I can fit much else in here.
the plan is to reconnect a bunch of things, and integrate the new PC I'm building (today!) into the studio.
Attached Thumbnails
Your gear plans for 2023?-mac-pro-2008-ryzen-2022.jpeg  

Last edited by Reptil; 21st December 2022 at 01:15 PM..
📝 Reply