The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Virus Polar and midi via Usb
Old 14th August 2022
Gear Head

Virus Polar and midi via Usb

Hey there
I was searching for that one but did not find anything till no…

If the Virus can send/receive midi signal with usb connection instead of midi cable? The point is that there is no more support for this model. Computer software does not work with Big Sur. Yes i know about alternatives. But i am not interested in any vst for my Polar. Only thing i need that i can see in Cubase midi connection when its connected with usb. I mean, in my opinion should works like other gear i have (Dark Energy or Tempest). But does not..
If i miss some magic button in the synth or i jest should forget about connection that way?
Thanks for any info
Old 15th August 2022
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurabe ➡️
Hey there
I was searching for that one but did not find anything till no…

If the Virus can send/receive midi signal with usb connection instead of midi cable? The point is that there is no more support for this model. Computer software does not work with Big Sur. Yes i know about alternatives. But i am not interested in any vst for my Polar. Only thing i need that i can see in Cubase midi connection when its connected with usb. I mean, in my opinion should works like other gear i have (Dark Energy or Tempest). But does not..
If i miss some magic button in the synth or i jest should forget about connection that way?
Thanks for any info
No i do not think this is possible. Once a usb is plugged in, the virus essentially becomes an audio/midi interface and requires the use of the TC plugin.

I just tried on my darkstar with no luck.
Old 15th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFH ➡️
No i do not think this is possible. Once a usb is plugged in, the virus essentially becomes an audio/midi interface and requires the use of the TC plugin.

I just tried on my darkstar with no luck.
Thats really bad….i hope for some kind of class compilant…Tempest, Analog Key….hey-even simple Dark Energy from Doepfer is recognised in Cubase when connected with usb….pitty
Old 15th August 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yes, the Virus TI has USB midi. The device is called "Virus TI Synth".

This way you can use it for example with the Ableton Live External Instrument device.

The Virus automatically switches to Local Off when connected to USB midi.

When connected via USB, the 5-pin DIN midi shows up as "Virus TI Midi", so you can use the Virus as an external midi interface.

D.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielb ➡️
Yes, the Virus TI has USB midi. The device is called "Virus TI Synth".

This way you can use it for example with the Ableton Live External Instrument device.

The Virus automatically switches to Local Off when connected to USB midi.

When connected via USB, the 5-pin DIN midi shows up as "Virus TI Midi", so you can use the Virus as an external midi interface.

D.
Yes, i know. Should work that way. I have Virus and i connect with usb to use for the midi.
But my beautiful Cubase does not see anything. Thats way i am asking if i need last drivers for Big Sur which of course i dont have because they are not exist…Are you using midi usb connection with last MacOs maybe?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by samurabe ➡️
Yes, i know. Should work that way. I have Virus and i connect with usb to use for the midi.
But my beautiful Cubase does not see anything. Thats way i am asking if i need last drivers for Big Sur which of course i dont have because they are not exist…Are you using midi usb connection with last MacOs maybe?
Sorry, I missed that this a Mac-specific question.

D.
Old 16th August 2022
Gear Nut

Take a bit of building, but this works: https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver

Also, if you purchase the Mystery Island plug-in, they give you the midi driver. I haven’t played with that much since I’m still on Mojave for my music computer.
Old 16th August 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeeperNET ➡️
Take a bit of building, but this works: https://github.com/biappi/SimpleVirusUSBMidiDriver

Also, if you purchase the Mystery Island plug-in, they give you the midi driver. I haven’t played with that much since I’m still on Mojave for my music computer.
Need to download 12.6 gb of xcode to install the PLUGIN….olala...
📝 Reply