The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What's your go to for Earth Shattering Phaaat Bass?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

I have a Pro 3 and it's girthy, but was wondering how it would compare to a long-off sold Minitaur, which then spiraled out into wanting a Model D, which set into another level of GAS...

Which got me thinking of putting up a thread here on what's your go to for that Earth shattering phaaat bass? I'm after a few sounds:
  • Deep bass for jungle
  • Lovely, low, funk bass
  • Low filter sweeps to knock your socks off

So I have the following in my head, but what else is out there to shake the room?
  • Minitaur or even the OG Taurus
  • Model D (Moog or Behringer)
  • Pro 1/2/3
  • Phatty, Sub 37/25 etc
  • MatrixBrute or even the PolyBrute
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Hardware? SE-02 or OB-6 (very deep but narrower sweet spot with the 12db filter).
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Hardware? SE-02 or OB-6 (very deep but narrower sweet spot with the 12db filter).
Loved them both, but I think given the slow envelopes on the OB-6, it won't go into percussion territory
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I have several tools that work for bass, but when I need earth-shattering, I reach for the Roland SH-2. It does a lot more than just bass for such a simple synthesizer, but the bass is HUGE.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfiedotwtf ➡️
Loved them both, but I think given the slow envelopes on the OB-6, it won't go into percussion territory
It does. But, again, I wouldn’t buy the synth just for that because of the comparatively narrow range vs one with a 24db filter and faster envelopes. You can indeed coax drums and percussion from the OB-6. The envelop are fast enough that you can get them snapping - but nudge it one way or the other and it’s gone.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
It's very hard to find a modern synth with proper "percussive" envelopes. I only know of DFAM and ΟΒ-Χ8 (possibly, 3rd Wave and P5r4 also). Everything else is average IMO.

Modern Moog synths usually have the "slowest" envelopes. Sequential synths are a bit better. I'm not sure about Arturia or Roland, but I haven't heard anything notably better from these.

I would suggest to use a compressor and forget about the ideal adsr situation.

Back in the old times people were multisampling the tr-808 bass kick for deep jungle bass. It's almost in every track.. mostly in Miami bass tracks.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spectral Climax ➡️
It's very hard to find a modern synth with proper "percussive" envelopes.

I would suggest to use a compressor and forget about the ideal adsr situation.

Back in the old times people were multisampling the tr-808 bass kick for deep jungle bass. It's almost in every track.. mostly in Miami bass tracks.
Ok, that I didn't know. Maybe I can get what I want with synths into the Octatrack
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Little or slim phatty bass kicks ass. Just need to let it warm up to the room and tunings fine. The Beerinjar model D is in the same league as well.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Jungle bass in my mind = SH-101 self-resonating, which is a thing of absolute beauty! Earth shattering
Old 4 days ago
Gear Nut

B Model D for sub heavy creamy sweep. B CAT has excellent sub/character too, but sliders aren´t so good for sweeping smoothly.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
The Moog Minitaur is a purpose-built foundation shaker. It's great.

I love my old Moog Source for bass.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

Jungle bass = max decay 808 kick
Funky bass = most moogs
Sweeps = SH-101
Ultimate bass monster = my modded Moog Mg1, it kills all the above
Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Fb-01 which goes inside the filter of an Odyssey...
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Studio Electronics SE-3X.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Anything Studio Electronics
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Minimoog or Minitaur into Strymon Deco with very subtle saturation.
Never gets old!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Out of my gaggle of synths, the Sirin is my top go to for bass. It does it well being it's essentially a tweaked Minitaur. But it's pretty limited, like no PWM.

For wall shaking bass that cracks foundations, the Behringer Neutron does this really well. A wide range of waveforms including sine and triangle plus a really gnarly resonant multi mode filter. And it has PWM.

For phat detuned-than-what basses, Matriarch has 4 oscs and 2 ladder filters. Yum city. PWM too.

For bass that blows your hair back and chews your face off, the Take 5 in unison mode delivers. OB-6 as well. Though I don't tend to use my polys for bass much, unless it's bass+chords or bass+lead.

Though the Bass Station II is currently out of my active rotation, it is a flexible bass machine too. Not as much mojo as my Moogs though.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
Jungle bass in my mind = SH-101 self-resonating, which is a thing of absolute beauty! Earth shattering
808 kick or the Akai Test Tone sine wave..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monotremata ➡️
808 kick or the Akai Test Tone sine wave..
I have all three luckily. Agree on the Akai, as soon as I used it first time when I got my S1000 I realised the sound I'd heard so much!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

two Dreadbox Abyss, 4 VCO left, 4 VCO right -mono , tuned down low!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

For funk bass, Model D, no doubt. Keep in mind the oscillator phase isn't key synced.

My biggest modern sounding bass is Sherman FB2. It can add 40db of bass and sub to your synth, with a peak below 20hz, if you want (you don't. It was by accident... but yeesh). I always use Xotic SP compressor right after it.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

Bass station is a freaking powerful bass machine… almost a no brainer considering it’s cost

I was also surprised by the Polybrute. Was not expecting so punchy enveloppes from a poly

I was « disappointed » by the matriarch - gorgeous sound but couldn’t replicate the Minotaur punch.. Grandmother sounded better in that regard
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jetpack ➡️
Definitely do not get the Moog Minitaur or a Slim Phatty.

I would get a Waldorf Pulse 2 or Pulse 1. The Pulse 2 includes a lot of lame paraphonic patches. But you have 500 patch slots to create your own bass sounds. The Pulse 2 just crushes the Minitaur for bass.

Anyway, I hope this helps.
I actually thought you were joking. For some reason Waldorf isn't associated with bass in my brain. But I gave you the benefit of the doubt and watched some reviews. Damn it's phaaat
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

I like FM for jungly basses. I've tried a few and am enjoying the Preen FM2 at the moment.
Elektron's model cycles is almost too percussive and can do 808 type basses and way more. I also like the Modal Craft Synth 2 for modern EDM, British style basses
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Waldorf Pulse 1
Old 3 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
+1 for pulse 1. programming from the front panel actually is quite easy for me. though it was my first synthesizer so i‘m used to it
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Another vote for the SE-3X
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beany ➡️
Another vote for the SE-3X
It's a dream synth of mine
Still can't justify the expense, but... someday?

The SE-02 has a family resemblance from what I can tell, but isn't as naturally "beefy" and doesn't have full ADSR envelopes.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Almost anything FM.

Norand Mono

SH101
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Sequential Pro-One.

Rattling my windows since 1982.
📝 Reply