The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
June 2022 New Gear Thread
Old 22nd June 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
It's a fun, quirky little synth that delivers Moog sound to boot. I use mine alongside my Sirin (layered) or cross patched with my Neutron (handy when I need an extra LFO).

I've toyed with introducing mine to the Hydrasynth Deluxe as well, I'd just need longer patch cables first. CV jacks are on one end while the blank space to place WS is on the opposite end.
I'm really glad I came across this thread and this post in particular. I've been into synths for a few years and I admit I love just "noodling" with the small handful of budget synths I own. Just turning knobs and making fun and quirky sounds. I admit I don't know a whole lot about patching, however. I own both a Neutron and a Werkstatt, and I love them both, but I'd love to know what recommendations you might have for patching the Neutron with the Werksatt. Thanks!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassman316 ➡️
I'm really glad I came across this thread and this post in particular. I've been into synths for a few years and I admit I love just "noodling" with the small handful of budget synths I own. Just turning knobs and making fun and quirky sounds. I admit I don't know a whole lot about patching, however. I own both a Neutron and a Werkstatt, and I love them both, but I'd love to know what recommendations you might have for patching the Neutron with the Werksatt. Thanks!
I guess the first question is do you have the CV expander? But yeah, sending oscillators through the Werkstatt filter, or using the extra LFO to modulate the Neutron is awesome. Werkstatt is a cool little box of tricks.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by fassman316 ➡️
There's all sorts of ways. Some of the things I most often do are:

1. Use the Werkstatt's LFO on the Neutron or vice versa, to have 2 LFOs. I often do this so I can have slower PWM or filter modulation and faster vibrato.
2. Send one synth's oscillator(s) into the filter of the other, for more timbral variety. With a mixer, you could make a 3-oscillator patch, or cross mod/FM patches.
3. Use the utilities on the Neutron (attenuators, mixer, mults, S&H etc.) to expand on Werkstatt patches, or Neutron+Werkstatt patches.
4. If your CV controller or Midi->CV converter doesn't have glide, use the Neutron's slew limiter to add it on your Werkstatt (this doesn't actually work very well as Neutron's slew limiter isn't unity gain... it throws tracking off... but the concept is sound). You could also set the Neutron's assignable CV out to osc pitch and use that to control the WS w/glide.

Recently I wanted to use the Werkstatt for a lead sound with PWM and be able to bring vibrato in with aftertouch or mod wheel. The WS can't do this in and of itself, but with some help from the Neutron and Keystep I was able to pull this off. I use the Werkstatt's LFO for the PWM. I then ran the Neutron's LFO through attenuator 2 and 1 (the normaled path), then patched the output of attenuator 1 to the Werkstatt's linear FM in. I sent my Keystep's mod CV into attenuator 1 CV, and used attenuator 2 to set maximum vibrato depth. Now I can get vibrato on demand with aftertouch or mod wheel (depending on how your Keystep's mod output is configured).
Old 23rd June 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesolationBlvd ➡️
I had my first gear dream in a long time, that I was at Chuck Levin's and saw they had new old stock of Moogerfoogers. Finally, I could buy the phaser again and not have to bring the Eurorack out just for phaser! But the store layout was strange, and everything was suddenly in Canada, which tipped me off that it was a dream.
In my dream it would continue with me being naked and forced to sight something by Lizst on a xylophone in front of an audience of penguins or something similar.
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

I wasn't positive when ordering if it was the right decision, but after getting it today and using it for several hours there is little doubt; absolutely fantastic, especially coming from 10+years on the original. They addressed all the gripes I had and so many I didn't even think of. Amazing.

Last edited by 24dB; 23rd June 2022 at 06:35 AM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB ➡️

I wasn't positive when ordering if it was the right decision, but after getting it today and using it for several hours there is little doubt; absolutely fantastic, especially coming from 10+years on the original. They addressed all the gripes I had and so many I didn't even think of. Amazing.
It might be good and indeed if it makes you happy, all good but there is no doubt it is a complete rip off
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's Edition (upgraded from K11U)
Arturia FX Collection 3
Dawesome Novum
also got a couple of lil tongue drums, a kalimba, maracas and a tambourine to add to my collection
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by 24dB ➡️

It might be good and indeed if it makes you happy, all good but there is no doubt it is a complete rip off
No, it's not a complete rip-off, I think it's maybe about a $300-400 rip-off, tops, but I can't even honestly call it a rip-off anyway when it's really just an overpriced update/debut. When I think about the original OP-1 which I bought 10-plus years ago being a little over $1,000, and in my head add up everything they've added with this one, plus inflation, I'm thinking it's probably really worth around $1600-1700 and change now. (people said back when the first one came out that $1000 was way too much then.) So yes I'm overpaying, but I'll call it early adopter tax or whatever, and sell my original OP-1 to help make it up. But also, because of that price, I just don't think there's going to be nearly as many of these as there are of the original, not in such numbers, so I bite the bullet and get one while they're available.

No regrets. But on the topic in fact I do kinda think their new micro mixer is a bit of a rip-off, certainly with my big fingers I could never use one properly anyway.

Last edited by 24dB; 25th June 2022 at 04:24 AM..
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bought a pair of these to double check against my Focals. I don't have the best treatment in my room but I get decent mixes most of the time. This'll help a little more.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2022 New Gear Thread-hd650_pack_shot_isofront_rgb_red.jpeg  
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohmicide ➡️
Native Instruments Komplete 13 Ultimate Collector's Edition (upgraded from K11U)
Arturia FX Collection 3
Dawesome Novum
also got a couple of lil tongue drums, a kalimba, maracas and a tambourine to add to my collection
It's been so long since I last saw your posts that I just assumed you were dead. Welcome back! Judging by the credits on your site, you've been hella busy!
Old 23rd June 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yeah, I'm totally done with grooveboxes. I'm not going that route again. Nope nope nope. Wait, you said what is in stock? No, pointer finger, no! You get away from that mouse now! No, you better stop clicking! HOW DID YOU GET MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER!?!?! NOOOOOO!!!

Old 23rd June 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years

Yes, I totally just bought an M:S less than a week after selling another one, but the price was ridiculous and apparently going toward this dude's medical bills, so it felt wrong not to.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derp ➡️
Yeah, I'm totally done with grooveboxes....

<gets Donner B1>
Quote:
Yes, I totally just bought an M:S ....
Totally done with not buying more grooveboxes I see.
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

All the fault of @ Derp

Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I refuse to go down the Eurorack rabbit hole, but it seems I'm circling the event horizon...

June 2022 New Gear Thread-sq1.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
June 2022 New Gear Thread-sq1.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Totally done with not buying more grooveboxes I see.
Yep. Totally done. No more grooveboxes. Wait a sec...

June 2022 New Gear Thread-stepped.jpg

SON OF A BITCH!!! Looks like I found another one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
All the fault of @ Derp
I'm impressed that you got yours so quickly. Mine isn't due to arrive until the weekend.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2022 New Gear Thread-stepped.jpg  
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I refuse to go down the Eurorack rabbit hole, but it seems I'm circling the event horizon...
With that many patch cables? I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were getting into. Remember to buy the biggest case you can afford because you will end up expanding beyond your initial plan!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
With that many patch cables? I'm pretty sure you knew exactly what you were getting into. Remember to buy the biggest case you can afford because you will end up expanding beyond your initial plan!
Nahh... I just needed some 3 footers and i grabbed some stackables as well. I have 3 semi modular synths now plus a couple others with CV outs (plus the SQ-1) I'd like to introduce them to.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Nahh... I just needed some 3 footers and i grabbed some stackables as well. I have 3 semi modular synths now plus a couple others with CV outs (plus the SQ-1) I'd like to introduce them to.
Hehe. I remember how my modular started out. "I'm just gonna get an 84hp row as an expander to my semimodulars. I can keep it under control!" Each and every one of those synths is long gone now. All that remains is dust. ...and an armful of patch cables.

Also if you need more stacking cables: https://modularaddict.com/parts/cables/stacking-cables
Old 23rd June 2022
Gear Guru

Resistance is Futile.
Gear Addict

Quote:
...Remember to buy the biggest case you can afford because you will end up expanding beyond your initial plan!
did that - went for 2 x140 HP and it's full now and I could need more space soon
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

Heh, I finally slowed down on modular spending after about $16k. Derp was a lost cause long ago.
Old 23rd June 2022
Lives for gear

Dupe...
Old 24th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
It's been so long since I last saw your posts that I just assumed you were dead. Welcome back! Judging by the credits on your site, you've been hella busy!
Haha yeah been staying busy! Mostly just lurk the new product alert forum now a days
Old 24th June 2022
Gear Addict

Kinda great. Pads need to be broken in a bit more than I’d like, but so far I’m pleased.
Old 25th June 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Yeah, I'm totally done with grooveboxes. I'm not going that route again. Nope nope nope. Wait, you said what is in stock? No, pointer finger, no! You get away from that mouse now! No, you better stop clicking! HOW DID YOU GET MY CREDIT CARD NUMBER!?!?! NOOOOOO!!!

The 303 clone no one talks about.
Old 25th June 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
June 2022 New Gear Thread-20220624_181625.jpg

My acoustic guitar arrived today. I love it. Also grabbed this djembe from GC today. It's nice to create your own percussion loops and just the kind of thing I was looking for to add some liveliness to the percussion for my Goa tracks. The ukulele was an impulse buy from a thrift store. Was $25 but is fun to mess around with. Apparently, it was missing a screw on one of the tuning pegs and the previous owner's kid had put smiley face stickers all over the fretboard (which was 'fun' getting off) but the tech at GC helped me find a new screw for it and didn't even charge me for it.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2022 New Gear Thread-20220624_181625.jpg  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Df music ➡️

Kinda great. Pads need to be broken in a bit more than I’d like, but so far I’m pleased.
Well that was quick!

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst keybed you've ever played on (please name, you won't get flamed. I will protect you) and 10 being the best (I'll also protect your from the cork sniffers) tell me where it falls in that scale and what you think about the playability of it. Also is the chassis made out of metal?
Old 25th June 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
June 2022 New Gear Thread-20220624_224509.jpg

Forgot post this amp I bought today. Also a thrift store find... paid $25 for it and it sounds way better than the Roland Cube amp that I paid a bit more than 4x the price. No amp modeling, no digital FX... sounds great with my FX pedal chain. I nice score I think.
Attached Thumbnails
June 2022 New Gear Thread-20220624_224509.jpg  
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
Well that was quick!

On a scale of 1 to 10 with 1 being the worst keybed you've ever played on (please name, you won't get flamed. I will protect you) and 10 being the best (I'll also protect your from the cork sniffers) tell me where it falls in that scale and what you think about the playability of it. Also is the chassis made out of metal?
I’m not a keys expert. I get by, and plan on improving with this. I’d put it as better than the deepmind keybed, and not as good as the Virus TI keybed.

Pads need some real breaking in. Either get too much velocity or not enough, and not equal among all of them. It’s a bit frustrating to be honest.

I am pleased with the build. The underside of the chassis is all metal, and the shell is solid plastic. Closer to a Fantom than a Modx. Feels better than an MPC one, which I returned because I couldn’t take the build.
📝 Reply