Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Short demo here:

https://www.matrixsynth.com/2022/05/...-wave-ppg.html
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
That seems very cool, I wonder what the price will be...
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Blimey, that looks and sounds great..
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
color me blue and interested! 5 octaves! That screen tho..me like.

looks like a low pass and a state variable filter, sequencer and arp, 2 effects, 3 oscs, 4 lfos?! 4 multi parts and a stereo to mono pan knob

Last edited by mrgkeys; 23rd May 2022 at 05:16 AM.. Reason: more info
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
This is the synth that Behringer should be making, but is too afraid to.
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I wonder who is behind this synth?

Wolfgang Palm retired and sold the rights to PPG to Brainworx but they make plug-ins..
If it’s not Waldorf…
If it’s not Behringer…
Looks like Groove Synthesis says it’s based in Orinda, CA (USA).
That’s Bay Area adjacent so maybe Dave Smith and company are involved somehow?
Extremely interested in this synth but need to hear and know a lot more.
Very interesting times we live in nowadays…
Old 23rd May 2022 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 ➡️
I wonder who is behind this synth?

Wolfgang Palm retired and sold the rights to PPG to Brainworx but they make plug-ins..
If it’s not Waldorf…
If it’s not Behringer…
Looks like Groove Synthesis says it’s based in Orinda, CA (USA).
That’s Bay Area adjacent so maybe Dave Smith and company are involved somehow?
Extremely interested in this synth but need to hear and know a lot more.
Very interesting times we live in nowadays…
"Groove Synthesis from the founder Geoff Farr. A developer who already worked for Modal Electronics, UDO Audio, or on the tube Synthesizer Knifonium."

Source
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
"Groove Synthesis from the founder Geoff Farr. A developer who already worked for Modal Electronics, UDO Audio, or on the tube Synthesizer Knifonium."

Source
Incorrect … but my lips are sealed till later
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgkeys ➡️
color me blue and interested! 5 octaves! That screen tho..me like.

looks like a low pass and a state variable filter, sequencer and arp, 2 effects, 3 oscs, 4 lfos?! 4 multi parts and a stereo to mono pan knob
The specs look good. I hope they can integrate poly after touch.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sentionauts ➡️
Wow, what a small world. Back in the day Geoff was the US rep for Waldorf and Access (among other brands). We lived near one another and so he sold me a Waldorf 4 Pole (a standalone analog filter using the classic PPG design) and an Access MicroWave I programmer back before Access released the Virus. Actually, now that I think of it, I might have bought my Virus A module from Geoff even before units were in shops. He's a great guy. It was super cool of him to give me an "industry accommodation" on this gear.
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Head

🎧 10 years
It seems to have Poly AT ...
The left hand chord filter seems unaffected by the force applied by the right hand that opens the filter and rises the volume ... or am I hearing wrong?
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieBoi ➡️
Wow, what a small world. Back in the day Geoff was the US rep for Waldorf and Access (among other brands). We lived near one another and so he sold me a Waldorf 4 Pole (a standalone analog filter using the classic PPG design) and an Access MicroWave I programmer back before Access released the Virus. Actually, now that I think of it, I might have bought my Virus A module from Geoff even before units were in shops. He's a great guy. It was super cool of him to give me an "industry accommodation" on this gear.
Well according to @ matia it might not be true, I was just quoting from the Synth Anatomy article.
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Which part is incorrect I wonder?
Geoff Farr used to be the distributor for Waldorf (maybe he still is?) and I believe he used to be at Europa Systems in Venice before that iirc…
But I heard he maybe affiliated with Oberheim now, so that would lead me back to Dave Smith and friends again.
Especially since you (Matia) have been making patches for Sequential as of late.
Maybe this was a Marcus Ryle pet project
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DEVO1982 ➡️
Which part is incorrect I wonder?
Geoff Farr used to be the distributor for Waldorf (maybe he still is?) and I believe he used to be at Europa Systems in Venice before that iirc…
But I heard he maybe affiliated with Oberheim now, so that would lead me back to Dave Smith and friends again.
Especially since you (Matia) have been making patches for Sequential as of late.
Maybe this was a Marcus Ryle pet project
This year is my 10th year doing sound design for sequential … Founder of Groove Synthesis is not Geoff … nor associated with Marcus … it’s a new company … just addressing semantics … I’ve been doing stuff with the 3rd Wave for a long while now and so have some other amazing sound designers … ������������������

Last edited by matia; 23rd May 2022 at 07:40 AM..
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➡️
This year is my 10th year doing sound design for sequential … Founder of Groove Synthesis is not Geoff … nor associated with Marcus … it’s a new company … just addressing semantics … I’ve been doing stuff with the 3rd Wave for a long while now and so have some other amazing sound designers …
Wow, Matia your Artist Bank of patches for the Subsequent 25 is amazing! For a relatively simple synth, you were able to create a really wide range of top notch sounds for it. I actually bought a Subsequent 25 just on the basis of your patch demo. Nicely done!
Old 23rd May 2022
Gear Nut

Stupid question but is this analog, digital or hybrid?

Is there info as to whether it utilises fpga technology?

Last edited by dlefolb; 23rd May 2022 at 07:52 AM.. Reason: additional information
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dlefolb ➡️
Stupid question but is this analog or digital?
Ask yourself what a ppg is
Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

Quote:
It seems to have Poly AT ...
The left hand chord filter seems unaffected by the force applied by the right hand that opens the filter and rises the volume ... or am I hearing wrong?
Yes, it seems that you're right
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by matia ➡️
Ask yourself what a ppg is
I see that PPG instruments (wave 2.1-2.3) have typically used a hybrid architecture with digital oscillators and analog signal path (VCA, VCF).

Do you think there is any chance they would be using FPGA technology for their oscillators? Akin to Udo Super 6 or Novation Peak/Summit.

Having poly after touch in combination with the aforementioned architecture would make this a truly innovative and first of its kind instrument, atleast where specs are concerned.

Last edited by dlefolb; 23rd May 2022 at 10:15 AM.. Reason: grammar
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I see that PPG instruments (wave 2.1-2.3) have typically used a hybrid architecture with digital oscillators and analog signal path (VCA, VCF).

Do you think there is any chance they would be using FPGA technology for their oscillators? Akin to Udo Super 6 or Novation Peak/Summit.

Having poly after touch in combination with the aforementioned architecture would make this a truly innovative and first of its kind instrument, at least where specs are concerned.
I think it all depends on how authentic the company wants the synth to sound. If they are going for an old school PPG or MicroWave I sound, then they would likely be using 8 bit wavetables for the oscillators (that I doubt would be generated by an FPGA processor).

As I understand it, the main advantages of an FPGA chip are higher performance by way of parallel processing. But as the new Waldorf M suggests, very old processing technology can be used to recreate the MicroWave I synthesis engine.

Then again, I may be talking out of my ass. Someone who knows more about this stuff should weigh in.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by OllieBoi ➡️
I think it all depends on how authentic the company wants the synth to sound. If they are going for an old school PPG or MicroWave I sound, then they would likely be using 8 bit wavetables for the oscillators (that I doubt would be generated by an FPGA processor).

As I understand it, the main advantages of an FPGA chip are higher performance by way of parallel processing. But as the new Waldorf M suggests, very old processing technology can be used to recreate the MicroWave I synthesis engine.

Then again, I may be talking out of my ass. Someone who knows more about this stuff should weigh in.
I personally think the advantages in processing speed of FPGA that allow for audio rate LFOs and practically no aliasing are greater than the refuced costs in using DSP.
Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Ooh, colour me interested!
Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
"The 3rd Wave - Advanced Wavetable Synth. 24 voices. 4-part multi-timbral. Analog Filters. State-variable filter. 3 high-resolution digital oscillators per voice with a 6-stage wave envelope per osc. #LinearFM. One-button, sample-to-wavetable import."

"Create up to 32 custom wavetables of your own using the 3rd Wave’s Wavemaker™ tool which features sample to wavetable capability. Connect an audio source to the built-in audio input and generate a wavetable at the touch of a button. Wavetable synthesis has never been easier — or so open-ended."

"While the 3rd Wave has roots in the classic digital wavetable synths of the past, it takes that concept firmly into the 21st century with a lush, expansive sound that’s a product of its expanded wavetables and warm, organic-sounding analog filters."

"The 3rd Wave is a powerhouse wavetable synth with an epic modern sound. It boasts massive 24-voice polyphony and 4-part multi-timbral performance capability that’s like having four independent 6-voice synthesizers at your fingertips."
https://www.groovesynthesis.com/

This is going to be expensive!
Old 23rd May 2022
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Interest now rising, sound and it looked fab. Can't wait for more info.
Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by busterfriendly ➡️
Those pitch and mod wheels look identical to the ones Sequential use; close up on https://www.groovesynthesis.com. I wonder if this is being built by the same contract manufacturer, or if the link goes a bit deeper?
Old 23rd May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Wave Surfer. More like wallet sufer.

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed A. ➡️
Sounds fantastic !
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I personally think the advantages in processing speed of FPGA that allow for audio rate LFOs and practically no aliasing are greater than the refuced costs in using DSP.
what has that got to do with wavetables..???
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
https://www.groovesynthesis.com/

This is going to be expensive!
I have a feeling that you might be right. 24 voices with analog filters...insane. I bet it will be over 6k.
📝 Reply