The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purchase the Prophet 10 or an OB-X8?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by donato ➡️
ok. BUT- answer the question!
Hahaha, fair enough! P10 spoke to me more. OB-X8 maybe when the used prices drop, so it’s not entirely out of the question.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I decided to go for a mix of both: for the price of the OB-X8 I have the P5 desktop and OB-6 keyboard. Very happy!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipeuout ➡️
If you have none, what would you favor?
That's going to be subjective and down to personal preference and I don't even have an X8 in front of me to make a fair assessment.

But since you're asking me, personally, with my own bias: if I had to choose one it would still be the Prophet. I embrace everything about it from synth architecture, to layout/UI, sound palette of course & aesthetics.I enjoy simple synths/instruments from which you can do a lot, sound great and really value interface.

Now I am not trying to imply OBX8 doesn't belong in that synth category. The specs are great and it sounds amazing. But it seems to me like a more speciality synth. I'm not a huge fan of the UI/layout/color scheme. Menu diving on a tiny OLED to adjust things like osc levels or filter types is not my thing and reminds me why I parted with Jupiter-XM. Something as simple as silkscreening page 2 functions on the overlay would have mitigated this. Also one of my favourite things about the SEM SVF is that its sweepable and that's a shame its missing.

Its also a mammoth of a synth, I have no room for it. So OB6 or a desktop version would be more appealing to me. But I'm in no rush so I'll be waiting to see what Oberheim & Sequential have in store next.

FWIW, here is what a commenter on YT that owns both had to say:

I'm thankful to own the new Oberheim OB-X8 as well as a Prophet 5 Rev 4. I would honestly say, nothing even comes close to the tone of the Prophet 5. It's so raw, dry, and menacing. It really evokes nostalgia for me, especially growing up on soundtracks like Escape from New York, Creepshow, Day of the dead, etc. For the record I think the OB-X8 is a lovely sounding synth. I think it sits inside its own niche and is wonderful for that, the "sizzle" you get from an Oberheim is unmatched, and the brass/string patches you can get there are great. However, I find the Prophet to be much more "reactionary" to my touch, I especially feel that the filter has a much greater range than on the Oberheim. It's way easier for me to dial tones in to my ear with the Prophet. I have to work a lot harder with the Oberheim to do that. Maybe that's cause it has less range than the Prophet, probably it's cause I haven't mastered the interface yet, though arguably it's more simplistic than the Prophet.

Of course another user may feel the other way so take all this with a grain of salt.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
That's going to be subjective and down to personal preference and I don't even have an X8 in front of me to make a fair assessment.

But since you're asking me, personally, with my own bias: if I had to choose one it would still be the Prophet. I embrace everything about it from synth architecture, to layout/UI, sound palette of course & aesthetics.I enjoy simple synths/instruments from which you can do a lot, sound great and really value interface.

Now I am not trying to imply OBX8 doesn't belong in that synth category. The specs are great and it sounds amazing. But it seems to me like a more speciality synth. I'm not a huge fan of the UI/layout/color scheme. Menu diving on a tiny OLED to adjust things like osc levels or filter types is not my thing and reminds me why I parted with Jupiter-XM. Something as simple as silkscreening page 2 functions on the overlay would have mitigated this. Also one of my favourite things about the SEM SVF is that its sweepable and that's a shame its missing.

Its also a mammoth of a synth, I have no room for it. So OB6 or a desktop version would be more appealing to me. But I'm in no rush so I'll be waiting to see what Oberheim & Sequential have in store next.

I'm thankful to own the new Oberheim OB-X8 as well as a Prophet 5 Rev 4. I would honestly say, nothing even comes close to the tone of the Prophet 5. It's so raw, dry, and menacing. It really evokes nostalgia for me, especially growing up on soundtracks like Escape from New York, Creepshow, Day of the dead, etc. For the record I think the OB-X8 is a lovely sounding synth. I think it sits inside its own niche and is wonderful for that, the "sizzle" you get from an Oberheim is unmatched, and the brass/string patches you can get there are great. However, I find the Prophet to be much more "reactionary" to my touch, I especially feel that the filter has a much greater range than on the Oberheim. It's way easier for me to dial tones in to my ear with the Prophet. I have to work a lot harder with the Oberheim to do that. Maybe that's cause it has less range than the Prophet, probably it's cause I haven't mastered the interface yet, though arguably it's more simplistic than the Prophet.

Of course another user may feel the other way so take all this with a grain of salt.
I have not had a Prophet 10 Rev 4, but I did the OB-X8. Even with some of it's odd design choice it really pure joy.

Look at this guys adventure in making patches. From nostalgic to modern.

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PL...qhp_7BvnhwWTo4
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️

Agreed, and similarly:

Even with them being close in this very basic patches, when asked the guy who made the video (who has both) says:

Quote:
I will choose the P10…
Why ?
- the price (less expensive than the obx8)
- two voices more than the obx8
- I found it more versatile than the ob x8

I think, the obx8 is a great choice if you have already some more versatile synth like the prophet / Jupiter x / summit etc
Factor in the OB-X8 honeymoon phase as the new kid on the block and costing a lot so people want to justify even more than usual (see the OB-X8 thread for clear evidence from one poster/owner in particular who's making bold claims that the X8 is the best synth ever made and the OB-6 and Prophet 10 are tinker toys by comparison ) Basically bias plays a lot into this when it's all you have, or if you want to justify the expense. But honest owners of both seem to favour the Prophet 10 in almost all case I've found once they've gotten past the excitement of the stereo out/panning on the X8 and get back to raw tone.

Factor in the cheaper price, the 2 extra voices making layering very usable, virtually zero voice stealing in 10 voice mode (I hear voice stealing even on the 8 voices of X8 when playing certain sounds), the direct knob per function interface and the richer, deeper more electric/analog sound of the Prophet 10 and it's clear it's a better all-rounder with more versatility outside of the specific cases the OB's are known for (and honestly there I'd rather get most of that tone from an OB-6 and use those extra OB-6 functions and modulations to take that OB speciality sound even further than try to force an OB to do all bread and butter stuff that the Prophet excels at while the OB is merely OK at).

As an only synth the Prophet 10 is supreme, same as the Prophet 5 often was through the years for all kinds or artists and bands. It's in the tone and the feel.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Welcome back Pro5!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthpathy ➡️
Agreed, and similarly:

Wow. I really like the X8 in comparison more than I thought I would. The Prophet just sounds so constrained and muffled to me (especially with the filter engaged). Thanks for sharing the video!

Caveat: I also purchased the OB-6 instead of the P6.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah thanks for sharing that. Its not really a scientific test.. to me the major difference kicks in at 11:55 with the stacked oscillators. The Prophet sounds huge with amplitude doubled while the X8 remains tame. Then the resonance test where he gives a warning, the Prophet has way higher max resonance (can't tell if it was in SSI or CEM mode). Overall there is definitely some common ground in this particular test. But turn up the resonance, stack the oscillators and activate PolyMod on the Prophet and you'll be off to somewhere else. Alternatively turn on stereo, add some spread, switch SEM types to HPF/BPF on the X8 and you're also in a complete other zone. One thing to note about the Prophet is it has per key as well as round-robin voice allocation, that gives it the edge for certain types of sounds namely pianos/EPs. You can't go wrong with any of those two though, I think that's the bottom line!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Agreed, and similarly:

Even with them being close in this very basic patches, when asked the guy who made the video (who has both) says:

Factor in the OB-X8 honeymoon phase as the new kid on the block and costing a lot so people want to justify even more than usual (see the OB-X8 thread for clear evidence from one poster/owner in particular who's making bold claims that the X8 is the best synth ever made and the OB-6 and Prophet 10 are tinker toys by comparison ) Basically bias plays a lot into this when it's all you have, or if you want to justify the expense. But honest owners of both seem to favour the Prophet 10 in almost all case I've found once they've gotten past the excitement of the stereo out/panning on the X8 and get back to raw tone.

Factor in the cheaper price, the 2 extra voices making layering very usable, virtually zero voice stealing in 10 voice mode (I hear voice stealing even on the 8 voices of X8 when playing certain sounds), the direct knob per function interface and the richer, deeper more electric/analog sound of the Prophet 10 and it's clear it's a better all-rounder with more versatility outside of the specific cases the OB's are known for (and honestly there I'd rather get most of that tone from an OB-6 and use those extra OB-6 functions and modulations to take that OB speciality sound even further than try to force an OB to do all bread and butter stuff that the Prophet excels at while the OB is merely OK at).

As an only synth the Prophet 10 is supreme, same as the Prophet 5 often was through the years for all kinds or artists and bands. It's in the tone and the feel.
Have you played an OB-X8? Your suggestion that it's "OK" at bread and butter sounds (not sure what you mean? Pads?) as opposed to the OB6 is wrong. I've owned an OB6, P5, and have the X8. It's simply an amazing synth with the same amount of sonic range, though different, than the Prophet and certainly more than the OB6. You just don't know until you've tried it.

And before you claim I'm saying this to justify my expense, I'm selling mine anyways because I prefer a Moog Sub 37 for my particular music. It's all about the journey though, innit? Peace and Love
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Rain ➡️
Have you played an OB-X8? Your suggestion that it's "OK" at bread and butter sounds (not sure what you mean? Pads?) as opposed to the OB6 is wrong. I've owned an OB6, P5, and have the X8. It's simply an amazing synth with the same amount of sonic range, though different, than the Prophet and certainly more than the OB6. You just don't know until you've tried it.

And before you claim I'm saying this to justify my expense, I'm selling mine anyways because I prefer a Moog Sub 37 for my particular music. It's all about the journey though, innit? Peace and Love
Read it properly. I said that the X8 vs the PROPHET 10 wasn't as good at the whole range of 'bread and butter' analog sounds, which to me means almost anything outside of a basic pad. Bass, Epianos, High res/moog like sounds, electric drones etc... the prophet has, for years, been highly regarded for its versatility of tone and how good it sounds in every case doing those sounds, top of the class basically, while the OB (any OB be it X8 or OB-6) has a more speciality sound to compliment that bread and butter. Not many disagree with this, that an OB often always sounds like an OB while the Prophet is a powerful chameleon that can sound both like the most kick ass synthesizer AND a proper acoustic instrument with a tonality and response few other analog synths ever reached.

With that out of the way, the OB-6 mention was to say if I then want that OB sauce on top of the Prophet bread and butter then (esp for the cost) I'd much rather have the OB-6 because of where you can take it, into newer areas with the modulation/prophet like functionality and the sweepable SVF. You can have your cake and eat it with the OB-6 for those 'special' sounds that OB's are known for (ressy sweeps and pads without low end loss/spacey sounds). Of course OB can do fine bread and butter sounds, but to me they do NOT compare in quality vs the Prophet 5/10, the OBs even in 4 pole mode never sounds as thick/rich or rounded/punchy as the Prophets. Never. It always sounds slightly hollow when doing things like bass, and flatter rather than rounded and precise like the Prophet.

So the ideal combo is a Prophet for most things (i.e an only synth if you have to which is what this thread is about) and the OB for the extra sauce (and here you may as well save money and get the OB that gives you that sauce on steroids due to the extras the OB-6 has over the X8).

By all means get defensive while mis-reading what I wrote though!
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Read it properly. I said that the X8 vs the PROPHET 10 wasn't as good at the whole range of 'bread and butter' analog sounds, which to me means almost anything outside of a basic pad. Bass, Epianos, High res/moog like sounds, electric drones etc... the prophet has, for years, been highly regarded for its versatility of tone and how good it sounds in every case doing those sounds, top of the class basically, while the OB (any OB be it X8 or OB-6) has a more speciality sound to compliment that bread and butter. Not many disagree with this, that an OB often always sounds like an OB while the Prophet is a powerful chameleon that can sound both like the most kick ass synthesizer AND a proper acoustic instrument with a tonality and response few other analog synths ever reached.

With that out of the way, the OB-6 mention was to say if I then want that OB sauce on top of the Prophet bread and butter then (esp for the cost) I'd much rather have the OB-6 because of where you can take it, into newer areas with the modulation/prophet like functionality and the sweepable SVF. You can have your cake and eat it with the OB-6 for those 'special' sounds that OB's are known for (ressy sweeps and pads without low end loss/spacey sounds). Of course OB can do fine bread and butter sounds, but to me they do NOT compare in quality vs the Prophet 5/10, the OBs even in 4 pole mode never sounds as thick/rich or rounded/punchy as the Prophets. Never. It always sounds slightly hollow when doing things like bass, and flatter rather than rounded and precise like the Prophet.

So the ideal combo is a Prophet for most things (i.e an only synth if you have to which is what this thread is about) and the OB for the extra sauce (and here you may as well save money and get the OB that gives you that sauce on steroids due to the extras the OB-6 has over the X8).

By all means get defensive while mis-reading what I wrote though!
Lol. You're calling me defensive? I wrote three sentences and you responded with three paragraphs...also how about YOU read properly? I signed off with peace and love....

I'll repeat what you didn't address in your long response: HAVE YOU PLAYED AN OB-X8? It does everything you call out and more: high res?? that's practically it's specialty. Electronic drone-type sounds abound, even more so than on the P5 with the additional band, notch, and high pass filters, and given the grit inherent to its tone. The X8 does several acoustic sounds, including different piano and organ patches exceedingly well. Is it "better" than a P5? NO! It's just different. But to suggest that it's this specialty synth that isn't as versatile as the Prophet obviously points to the fact you haven't played one. And no, the videos out there so far have barely scratched the surface.

Let's also remember that the X8 isn't only a direct clone, but it has many more options than a single OB-X, Xa, or 8 on they're own. So again, had you actually played one you might see for yourself what it can do.

I LOVE the Prophet 5. I don't disagree with anything you're saying about its ability to handle a wide range of acoustic and electronic sounds. What I'm calling into question is your claim that it does way more than what the X8 can do based on.....what? this forum and some YouTube clips?

In other words, your advice on which to purchase (per the title of this thread) is not really helpful since you don't have first hand experience. Unless you do, in which case please correct me! But this is a lot like what's going on endlessly in the OB-X8 thread - people who don't have them making grand declarations about how it's just not as versatile as the OB-6 or the Prophet 5, etc, likely because they can't afford one or are too offended by the price. Either way, not the most helpful, unbiased perspectives.

FWIW a poster who actually owns all these synths just said he thinks the OB-X8 is more limited in some ways than the OB-6. And he gives concrete reasons as to why he thinks that based on playing them both....

Last edited by Purple_Rain; 1 week ago at 03:28 PM..
Old 2 days ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I have the prophet 10 for about 2 years. I kinda of went about it backwards in buying the prophet, then started listening to music from the late 70s/early 80s that used prophets. The sound is amazing, it is hard to make anything sound bad. This is opposite of some synths such as the MS20, where it feels like I am in danger of losing my hearing if I just goof around with dials. Then having a function per dial is pretty much the opposite of more complicated devices.

I recently acquired an OB-X8 due to lack of self control and an "open box" discount. The sounds are amazing, I love the stereo settings, but then run into voice stealing. Has a simlar dial per function (except of course page 2). It also has a great base sound and is hard to make sound bad.

I enjoy both of them, and I think they complement each other nicely.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by styphon ➡️
I have the prophet 10 for about 2 years. I kinda of went about it backwards in buying the prophet, then started listening to music from the late 70s/early 80s that used prophets. The sound is amazing, it is hard to make anything sound bad. This is opposite of some synths such as the MS20, where it feels like I am in danger of losing my hearing if I just goof around with dials. Then having a function per dial is pretty much the opposite of more complicated devices.

I recently acquired an OB-X8 due to lack of self control and an "open box" discount. The sounds are amazing, I love the stereo settings, but then run into voice stealing. Has a simlar dial per function (except of course page 2). It also has a great base sound and is hard to make sound bad.

I enjoy both of them, and I think they complement each other nicely.
What if you could only pick one?
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by eventualinfinity ➡️
What if you could only pick one?
Yea pick one!
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut
This is like asking a question "Do you prefer chocolate ice cream or salted caramel ice cream?"

There is no right or wrong answer. Just taste.
Old 22 hours ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by madprof ➡️
This is like asking a question "Do you prefer chocolate ice cream or salted caramel ice cream?"

There is no right or wrong answer. Just taste.
Nooooo…
I wanted to know if I bought the right synth, because neither specs nor my ears tell me! 😂
📝 Reply