The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purchase the Prophet 10 or an OB-X8?
Old 4 days ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
There will never be a right answer to this question, only the endless debate.
I have Prophet 10 and it truly is the best synth I owned in 25+ years of professional music production and sound design.
I will go and check OB, but I am definitely not "sure I need it", as add for it would say. I have OB6 (yes, before you start telling me that there are two or three different OB "sounds" that hardly share anything except the name), I also have Matrix 1000 and have had a few different Oberheims in my studio. I know how diverse they can be. What I wanted to say was - I LOVE BLUE STRIPES! And with everything else I have, with P10 being my go-to synth pretty much for almost anything, I am not sure I should fork out 5 k (as I wasn't sure with Moog one) - my synths pay for themselves, that is not an issue - the issue is - do I really need it or I just want it because it is what it is. But if I was in OP's shoes, I get the dilemma, but I would say P10 with no regrets.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

I have a Moog One, Prophet 5, and a few nice analog synths.

I've tried the OB 6 a bunch of times and just never felt that it had the range and depth of the P5. Can't speak for the OBX8.

P5/P10 is just an outstanding very powerful and surprisingly complex synth.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by paul_simvient ➡️
I have a Moog One, Prophet 5, and a few nice analog synths.

I've tried the OB 6 a bunch of times and just never felt that it had the range and depth of the P5. Can't speak for the OBX8.

P5/P10 is just an outstanding very powerful and surprisingly complex synth.
The OB-6 is a more capable synth than a P5. A P10 has more voices and layering. All are are more capable than they look.

After that it’s just preference. Personally, I’d choose an OB-6 instead of a P5 on any day of the week. It’s good to have options.

So far I’d definitely choose an X8 over a P5/10 based on what I’ve heard.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
All are are more capable than they look.
Absolutely!

The synth I know the best from 10 year extensive giggin and producing is the Nord Wave 1. Finally I sold it, but wisely to a good friend so that it is still sort of stays in the family. And sure, after a couple of months had a project I know it would be very suited for.

I’m happy with that solution. I needed some fresh sounds for my ears and I think also just a new UI/synth to force me a little bit exploring something new, which sounds a bit strange as I just wanted to say I realized (once more) the immense possibilities of that Wave.

Sitting at it feels familiar and nice but listening to it when recorded surprises me as it sounds so nice (better), as if I just didn’t record it myself, if that makes any sense.

Buying a synth is a very psychological thing.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kla234 ➡️
Buying a synth is a very psychological thing.
Absolutely. I’ve been in therapy since ‘81…. started with my Jupiter-8.
📝 Reply