The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Purchase the Prophet 10 or an OB-X8?
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Slight quibble: I use an Ob-6 and don’t care if people recognize it or not because I love how the synth sounds, and I don’t make Jump or Tom Sawyer sounds with it. To me, it’s just a great synth with a flexible 12db filter, and that’s how I use it.
I've always been tempted by the OB-6, but just a few little things stop me, my own peculiarities, granted.

First..... forgive me.... I HATE that blue pin-stripe look! It reeks to me of '80's Yuppie Business Suit, and I can't get rid of that association. Far better Waldorf Tolex Orange, on the MWXT, or even Screaming Yellow, on the Waldorf Q!

Second.... the price, for 49 keys. Love the sound, interface, the general Sequential look and feel and quality, but it's like a lot of the Roland FS synths, for me, just a little beyond what I'd feel comfortable paying for one, it all just being a hobby for me (no tax breaks, amortization, etc., the usual business things which radically reduce the price of these things for working musicians).

OH well. My life is already full, so I'm glad I'm not keeping an OB-6 from another musician!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
I've always been tempted by the OB-6, but just a few little things stop me, my own peculiarities, granted.

First..... forgive me.... I HATE that blue pin-stripe look! It reeks to me of '80's Yuppie Business Suit, and I can't get rid of that association. Far better Waldorf Tolex Orange, on the MWXT, or even Screaming Yellow, on the Waldorf Q!

Second.... the price, for 49 keys. Love the sound, interface, the general Sequential look and feel and quality, but it's like a lot of the Roland FS synths, for me, just a little beyond what I'd feel comfortable paying for one, it all just being a hobby for me (no tax breaks, amortization, etc., the usual business things which radically reduce the price of these things for working musicians).

OH well. My life is already full, so I'm glad I'm not keeping an OB-6 from another musician!
That’s what the desktop model is for

(No stripes!)
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️

Funny, I like the look of the OB-6 for the exact reason you hate it! Haha! To me It looks like something you’d see in Robocop or other 80’s sci-fi action movie.

I agree with you on the 49 keys thing. That’s why I bought the module. I wanted the sounds but I’d rather use one of my 61 key synths or controllers to play it. Also…the module has less stripes! I paid $2000 shipped for mine used in mint condition on reverb.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In my case 49 keys is perfect. I literally don't have room for 61-note synths and having come from the module to the keyboard I really feel the layout flows better, it's more inviting to play/program and like others have said the pin stripes give it that 80s vibe. Both module and keyboard are great products IMO and worth the price (esp. compared to the new OB-X8)!
📝 Reply