The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Roland Aira Compact Series
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
New Roland Aira Compact Series

These look pretty fun!

Last edited by DNGmaestro; 10th May 2022 at 08:56 AM..
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
On the roland website :

https://www.roland.com/us/promos/aira_compact/

T-8 BEAT MACHINE

Create infectious tracks in seconds flat with a miniature rhythm factory powered by pristine TR drums plus bass from the inimitable TB-303.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/t-8/

J-6 CHORD SYNTH

Pairing a powerful chord sequencer with the lavish tones of the legendary JUNO-60, this portable synth toolbox has the building blocks you need to bring harmonic substance to your jams.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/j-6/

E-4 VOICE TWEAKER

This outrageously jammable effects box harmonizes, auto-pitches, vocodes, loops, and glitches your voice and anything else you feed it.

https://www.roland.com/us/products/e-4/
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Maniac

lol not really what anyone was asking for but good to see ACB being pushed still. i really hope we get to see some sort of System 8 revision with aftertouch or in module format and with a nicer casing. Doubtful but they do seem to have a great skill of overlapping products a lot these days (zen core tools, system 8, boutiques, these things).
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
These are targeted towards those who think that the boutique format is way too big? Strange enough, I've never met such a person.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Rolcas. I can hardly contain my excitement -_-
Old 10th May 2022
Here for the gear
lets use a big jack input for the mic, not for the outpots tho, that would be too advantageous
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Watched the vids on the 3 of them. Can honestly say I just experienced zero enthusiasm even though I made myself watch the whole way through.

Those internal rechargeable batteries worry me to. If any of these Volca wannabes should become future icons/classics, that's going to be a problem. (Kind of like how the used Electric car market will be a dicey prospect)
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
J-6 looks interesting as chord sequencer
Old 10th May 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted d044ce7 ➑️
So much cynicism I think they look and sound great.
We don't think like you. They don't sound great.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear
Very excited, finally some intuitive grooveboxes appeared on the market. The T - 8 is a Drum bass machine, this is so cool. The bass it is based on the TR 303 Roland classic.The J 6 is a chord machine based on the Juno sounds, I don't know what exactly that means but it looks cool!

Combine these 2 together, you can create a lot of music, having fun at the same time! The problem is though that the T 8 it doesn't have a pattern chain function, and the J 6 has only 1 track to write one melody I guess, or one chord progression.

To me the idea of having these simple little things and to make music, having fun, escaping from the complex operations it is a blessing, because we all need to relax by making music, am I right?

They look and sound professional and fantastic!

Interesting though that the sequencer in the T 8 can be up to 32 steps, and I guess you can change patterns on the fly without to lose the rhythm.

So, in conclusion, if the price $199 for each box is accurate, then who is going to say no to these beauties, seriously.
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Roland are literally imploding, their gear is getting smaller and lamer.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It's a mainstream product category. There is a trend for mini devices. They seem to be a bit expensive though. Cute stuff nevertheless.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just wait for a bit so the would go down in price.
$199 is too much for lopsided tiny piece of plastic.
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
They're great little fun boxes that sound amazing, which is expected since they're sound comes from the TR8s, the TB-03, JU-06a and the VT-4.
I already have the TR8s, TB3 and the mc707 but the chord function on the J-6 seems really great to create some good sounding progressions quickly. They should bring that in an update to the 707.

On another note, of course the morons who jerk off to bashing Roland mindlessly on public forums came in really quick.
Somebody oughta make a youtube documentary about this phenomenon.
Old 10th May 2022
Deleted 8f338a3
An ACB Juno 60 Noodle Device is something I didn't know I wanted.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➑️
These are targeted towards those who think that the boutique format is way too big? Strange enough, I've never met such a person.
I think they're targeting beginners who might otherwise choose a Volca. Low entry point etc
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Not for me but they'll probably make a lot of people quite happy for a while. 175 quid. Could get a TD-3 and RD-6 for that these days.
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
I wonder if J-6 has the same sound engine then JU-06a. If it is compatible , and it is possible to porgram /modify J-6 patches by midi, i might be interested.
Mini D-5 could also be fun...
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Volca
Bolca
Rolca

Are they at all compatible with each other?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unicorn74 ➑️
I wonder if J-6 has the same sound engine then JU-06a. If it is compatible , and it is possible to porgram /modify J-6 patches by midi, i might be interested.
Mini D-5 could also be fun...
Loopop says it does. I don't think the boutiques respond to CCs, so doubt it, but could be wrong of course.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➑️
Volca
Bolca
Rolca

Are they at all compatible with each other?
Sync in and out jacks on all of these. If they don't work together that would be nuts.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeminIAm ➑️
Loopop says it does. I don't think the boutiques respond to CCs, so doubt it, but could be wrong of course.
It's the same engine as the JU-06a and all boutiques respond and send CC's. The SE-02 actually sends CC's from all knobs, which is great! Functions as it's own midi controller if you want to record automation for it. It was really a great surprise!

However these small ones don't respond to CC's at the moment, they said that on sonicstate.
Old 10th May 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I really like these however it's the same old stuff repacked over and over and over again. I never thought they would release another Juno inspired machine 1 week after the last. Hopefully a much improved 303, as the boutiques with their ACB were stinkers. The cloud version was good so I hope it is closer to that.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by DNGmaestro ➑️
It's the same engine as the JU-06a and all boutiques respond and send CC's.
I donβ€˜t think there is a way to control the JD-08 with the JD-800 plugin and vice versa? Are you sure it sends CC?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➑️
I donβ€˜t think there is a way to control the JD-08 with the JD-800 plugin and vice versa? Are you sure it sends CC?
I have the JD-08. It sends midi notes and CC's from just a few faders. So, it's not like the SE-02 in that regard.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear
More tiny toys - better looking than the hideous Bolcas, but I hope Roland has something more interesting up its sleeves for this anniversary year.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can’t find what the polyphony for the J-6 is.
Old 10th May 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
T8 seems like by far the best value of the 3: TR+TB+FX. It's like Plastikman in a box!

J6 seems most original: an 8-bar chord/phrase generator is something kinda unique in hardware, let alone at this price and you get a bonus Juno-60 preset synth. Kinda surprised they went with ACB, that's good for sound quality but limited polyphony: 4-voices only so I assume 4 note max chord generator, odd but ok guess they're going for simplicity.

Overall pretty unexpected release. Bit too micro for my taste (boutiques were already pushing it) but I like the concept and price point.

PS: Nice to see they've dropped the dated neon green / rainbow lights theme from previous AIRAs.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➑️
T8 seems like by far the best value of the 3: TR+TB+FX.
Clearly the best one.
πŸ“ Reply