The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Oberheim Is Back - OB-X8 Synthesizer
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station2station ➡️
Yep, sounds like my rep too. I ordered an MPC60 II from my rep in the mid 90's lol. But I find it odd that on FB I've seen about 15 European citizens get theirs already, but not Ft Wayne, Indiana.

But I hope the SW guys here get their instruments sooner rather than later!
I cannot speak for Oberheim / Sequential / Focusrite, but that sounds EXACTLY like something I would do / have done (fill smaller shops' opening orders first). There is some good bricks-and-mortar capital there.
Here for the gear

Serial 185 in the Highlands, Scotland. Thank you Oberheim & Sequential, looks and sounds incredible.
Attached Thumbnails
Oberheim Is Back - OB-X8 Synthesizer-img_0392.jpg  
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by shells_stuff ➡️
Serial 185 in the Highlands, Scotland. Thank you Oberheim & Sequential, looks and sounds incredible.
Wow - they got these to the Highlands in Scotland, but Sweetwater still didn't get their promised allotment.

...the rumor of huge volumes of OBX8's being delivered to SW by freight doesn't really hold water. There's a bit of controlled distro by Sequential. I think that's clear - and it pleases me even if some of the good fellows in this forum are getting delayed.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Wow - they got these to the Highlands in Scotland, but Sweetwater still didn't get their promised allotment.

...the rumor of huge volumes of OBX8's being delivered to SW by freight doesn't really hold water. There's a bit of controlled distro by Sequential. I think that's clear - and it pleases me even if some of the good fellows in this forum are getting delayed.
Yeah, did Sweetwater piss off Sequential or something? I'm glad that I didn't wait for them. My Sweetwater Synchrony zero percent interest card will just have to wait for the next "must have" synth.....that hopefully Sweetwater will carry.

Last edited by Quantum7; 4 days ago at 04:39 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by madprof ➡️
How about you bring it into the house and let them play with it?
they love my studio... unforutnately little Danyol is 18 months old and likely to go a little bit wild at the prospect of another synth
Gear Nut

Mine will be here Monday, also from a small shop. I’ll shout them out when it arrives. Maybe it’s just harder to send a bulk order to sweetwater as opposed to sending a few here and there from the manufacturer. Also I did always think it was weird that you don’t pay for sweetwater pre orders, you bassically just tell them you want it haha.
Old 4 days ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by UroWho ➡️
My energy is already £450 per month and the heating for 4/5 of the house is broken as the boiler has gone. I expect it to be £1000/month if repaired before autumn increase, let alone January. If I left it on my guess is it would be £2,000 per month. Mortgage has just gone up £350 and income up £250 after tax. Expensive synths are off the priority list!
Don't forget that also for us boomers/retired dentists, dentures eventually become a must-have item.

Cost in the US? Cheap if it's $7K, and if you want implants, or all-on-four (basically dentures anchored to four implants, semi-permanently; you can get snap-offs, too, though those require a dentist to remove)..... $60,000 as a starting price. Either way, maintenance and further costs subsequently.

So, there's that to put into the equation as well, as we contemplate the OBX8. $5K isn't a lot for a synth, compared with the price to boomers of being able to keep eating!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Rain ➡️
At least s/he didn't try to flip it for $8k or something. There's that risk these days, too, PS5-style.
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
At least s/he didn't try to flip it for $8k or something. There's that risk these days, too, PS5-style.
Yes I was kind of surprised. They'll actually lose money on this with those high reverb fees.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

So, there's that to put into the equation as well, as we contemplate the OBX8. $5K isn't a lot for a synth, compared with the price to boomers of being able to keep eating!
Eating is soooo over-rated!
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
Yeah, did Sweetwater piss off Sequential or something? I'm glad that I didn't wait for them. My Sweetwater Synchrony zero percent interest card will just have to wait for the next "must have" synth.....that hopefully Sweetwater will carry.
So much wayward paranoia and conspiracy theory on this thread!

Things at scale have different time frames, everywhere from pre-ordering inventory, to allocating space, to arranging shipment. Stuff in the pipeline is just that; it has to wait on what's already there and has to be managed, sold, moved on, whatever. Previous contractual arrangements and investments in inventory can preclude jumping on something immediately when it's out. Particularly for a boutique, high-priced item like the OBX8, a big company is going to take their time committing to and defining an allotment, as just like the manufacturer, they are constantly sizing the market and managing their own resources (shipping, inventory, etc.) accordingly.

If Sweetwater's going to make money off this, like any other product they shift, they have to do it the right way, for them. That usually means not being first in line, but being at a point where they're assured both a steady and adequate stream of supply of product, and a steady and likely-sized market for same.

It may well be at this point that, since they have pre-ordering in place, but also have to watch out for people manipulating their pre-order system to set themselves up as individual brokers and buying supply to then sell on at an inflated cost -- the way everyone and their sister and brother is doing on Amazon these days, with everything from toilet paper to pet supplies to slippers -- they want to watch the pre-order system for awhile until they are confident of the rate and scale of ordering, so they can size allocation to themselves appropriately.

And same with Sequential. It's easier for them to send a few units, early on, to smaller distributors, especially early in the process when they're still working the kinks out of the manufacture and distribution _they_ have to control, as it gives them the space to respond to any issues that come up at small scale in this initial phase. Not that the first units are going to be any worse than those later on, but if there _are_ issues, anywhere in the process, it's least costly to deal with them early on, when shipping is not regular and manufacturing isn't going full speed ahead. S&M are both beyond the "test" phase at this point, but they're like everything else, there are unknowns until the "engineering" for both -- along with sales and messaging -- have been exercised sufficiently to know how to manage everything from sourcing to returns, repairs and possibly parts substitutions, if certain parts turn out only to be available in limited supply at some stage, or held up due to the variety of factors out there these days (Chinese do military exercises in Taiwan Straits, shipping of chips delayed for a week out of Taiwan while waiting for all the bluster to die down, then backup at port and shipping schedules all gone mad and then dockworkers quit or get overloaded, burn out and get sick, then shipping gets even more screwy, then it rains a lot and everything ends up being delayed a month, meanwhile the IC bin somewhere in China is empty and the PCB board doesn't ship out until a month after promised, repeat across multiple countries, timelines, ports and companies a thousand times and you begin to recognize the problem).
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple_Rain ➡️
Yes I was kind of surprised. They'll actually lose money on this with those high reverb fees.
Yeah, that is strange! They also have the "make an offer" turned on. Hopefully it's not a scam?

I'm glad that I didn't use Sweetwater for my OB-X8, as the store I bought mine from did not charge me state tax like Sweetwater would. I saved $300!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Things at scale have different time frames, everywhere from pre-ordering inventory, to allocating space, to arranging shipment. Stuff in the pipeline is just that; it has to wait on what's already there and has to be managed, sold, moved on, whatever. Previous contractual arrangements and investments in inventory can preclude jumping on something immediately when it's out. Particularly for a boutique, high-priced item like the OBX8, a big company is going to take their time committing to and defining an allotment, as just like the manufacturer, they are constantly sizing the market and managing their own resources (shipping, inventory, etc.) accordingly.

If Sweetwater's going to make money off this, like any other product they shift, they have to do it the right way, for them. That usually means not being first in line, but being at a point where they're assured both a steady and adequate stream of supply of product, and a steady and likely-sized market for same.

It may well be at this point that, since they have pre-ordering in place, but also have to watch out for people manipulating their pre-order system to set themselves up as individual brokers and buying supply to then sell on at an inflated cost -- the way everyone and their sister and brother is doing on Amazon these days, with everything from toilet paper to pet supplies to slippers -- they want to watch the pre-order system for awhile until they are confident of the rate and scale of ordering, so they can size allocation to themselves appropriately.

And same with Sequential. It's easier for them to send a few units, early on, to smaller distributors, especially early in the process when they're still working the kinks out of the manufacture and distribution _they_ have to control, as it gives them the space to respond to any issues that come up at small scale in this initial phase. Not that the first units are going to be any worse than those later on, but if there _are_ issues, anywhere in the process, it's least costly to deal with them early on, when shipping is not regular and manufacturing isn't going full speed ahead. S&M are both beyond the "test" phase at this point, but they're like everything else, there are unknowns until the "engineering" for both -- along with sales and messaging -- have been exercised sufficiently to know how to manage everything from sourcing to returns, repairs and possibly parts substitutions, if certain parts turn out only to be available in limited supply at some stage, or held up due to the variety of factors out there these days (Chinese do military exercises in Taiwan Straits, shipping of chips delayed for a week out of Taiwan while waiting for all the bluster to die down, then backup at port and shipping schedules all gone mad and then dockworkers quit or get overloaded, burn out and get sick, then shipping gets even more screwy, then it rains a lot and everything ends up being delayed a month, meanwhile the IC bin somewhere in China is empty and the PCB board doesn't ship out until a month after promised, repeat across multiple countries, timelines, ports and companies a thousand times and you begin to recognize the problem).
I was just joking around. I'm sure that you're probably correct.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum7 ➡️
I was just joking around. I'm sure that you're probably correct.
All that being said, as the common cliche goes -- still want one. Some day. Enjoy yours!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Has anyone tried/ have any success loading patches from an OG yet?

I've been trying to load my OB8 patches into the X8, but it doesn't seem to be working.

When I initiate the tape load (though the ARP jack) the screen says "good signal" then "receiving".

When it completes, there are a handful of presets named "OB-Xa Cassette" dropped in random locations in the OB-Xa group, but none of them play.

I'd love to figure this out, so I can do a proper A>B comparison.

The section for this in the manual only says:

"31 . Load frm Cassette: Using the Arp input jack on the OB-X8’s rear panel, data recordings of OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-SX, and OB-8 presets can be loaded to the synth’s memory."

Tips/ tricks?

Thanks

Greg
Lives for gear

Quote:
<deleted by moderator - off topic>

And Sequential isn't "working the kinks out of the manufacture and distribution process" by shipping to smaller retailers first. They've been delivering synthesizers out of S.F. CA for DECADES.

Last edited by Reptil; 4 days ago at 10:32 PM.. Reason: -
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Circuit3 ➡️
I’m in the fortunate position that I can probably afford to buy in September. But. We also have a family from Ukraine living with us
You are admirable for your kindness!
Gear Nut
Quote:
Originally Posted by shells_stuff ➡️
Air shipping to UK takes 2 - 3 days door to door from St. Louis. Very expensive these days. Hope you enjoy it and make great music!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by while 1 ➡️
You are admirable for your kindness!
Thank you. It was an opportunity to help which anyone would take.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Says the guy who is concerned about Groove Synthesis wants an assurance that they won't go out of business - and stated in the 3rd Wave thread that Bob Coover, founder of Groove Synthesis, is going to age out of his position at Apple any day now without knowledge of what the guy even does at his position at Apple.

And Sequential isn't "working the kinks out of the manufacture and distribution process" by shipping to smaller retailers first. They've been delivering synthesizers out of S.F. CA for DECADES.
Exactly, it's laughable to think sequential doesn't know how to ship out a mass amounts of keyboards.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Spoken like a true saint. Amazing attitude and perspective. I could only hope that if I were in your situation I would do the same thing.
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Thank you for serving kindness and humanity in this thread.

You’re a good guy, we need more of your kind.
Old 4 days ago
Here for the gear

I don’t think there’s any sort of Sweetwater conspiracy.

This is speculation, but with the current (and still very real) issues with shipping in the US, it’s much more difficult/time consuming to ship 3-4 pallets of goods than it is to ship, say, 4 large boxes with a synthesizer in each. It might have made sense to someone at a volume buyer like Sweetwater to combine the 3-4 pallets of new OB-X8s coming from Oberheim with a few pallets of Sequential goods or even other goods coming from the west coast in order to fill a container and save on shipping, lower their average cost and raise their margin. This could easily account for a delay of a week or two.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregkoNYC ➡️
Has anyone tried/ have any success loading patches from an OG yet?

I've been trying to load my OB8 patches into the X8, but it doesn't seem to be working.

When I initiate the tape load (though the ARP jack) the screen says "good signal" then "receiving".

When it completes, there are a handful of presets named "OB-Xa Cassette" dropped in random locations in the OB-Xa group, but none of them play.

I'd love to figure this out, so I can do a proper A>B comparison.

The section for this in the manual only says:

"31 . Load frm Cassette: Using the Arp input jack on the OB-X8’s rear panel, data recordings of OB-X, OB-Xa, OB-SX, and OB-8 presets can be loaded to the synth’s memory."

Tips/ tricks?

Thanks

Greg
Are you using TR or TRS cable?

Also, if it’s like Eurorack, is there any way to increase the voltage/turn up the volume on the synth or device outputting the data? Assuming, since it’s in via arp Jack, that it’s variances in voltage which are programming in the patch values.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Says the guy who is concerned about Groove Synthesis wants an assurance that they won't go out of business - and stated in the 3rd Wave thread that Bob Coover, founder of Groove Synthesis, is going to age out of his position at Apple any day now without knowledge of what the guy even does at his position at Apple.

I see you want me back in full strength on that thread, given your provocation here.

See you next week!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by while 1 ➡️
Air shipping to UK takes 2 - 3 days door to door from St. Louis. Very expensive these days. Hope you enjoy it and make great music!
Many thanks.. with an instrument like this, it’s difficult to fail. Oh and the Dark Matter preset..
Attached Thumbnails
Oberheim Is Back - OB-X8 Synthesizer-979b9dc6-aef0-4905-b73f-aabdc132344b.jpeg  
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
<deleted by moderator - off topic>

I've got no idea what the situation is but I'd imagine there may be a tendency for big retailers to 'demand' discounts. If I were a manufacturer I'd shift stock to those who didn't demand a discount first while there is sufficient demand via the full price channels. As I said, no knowledge but complete guess.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by LWG ➡️
Greetings

The synth tracks during that era was primarily Wally Badarou, who was co-producing with Level 42 and working with Sly Dunbar and the late, Robbie Shakspeare (R.I.P) as one of the Compass Point All-Stars. Those Grace Jones synth tracks from the above albums, as well as many other artist's productions he played on were usually Prophet 5, as the P5 and NED Synclavier were his principal two synths at that time.
Thanks for the correction, I will need to go back and listen to those tracks again with a fresh ear. But I could have sworn that they used an OB on Private Life, for example.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UroWho ➡️
I've got no idea what the situation is but I'd imagine there may be a tendency for big retailers to 'demand' discounts. If I were a manufacturer I'd shift stock to those who didn't demand a discount first while there is sufficient demand via the full price channels. As I said, no knowledge but complete guess.
Your concise and logical hypothesis is a breath of fresh air and likely the case.
📝 Reply