The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Beginner Hardware Setup
Old 1st April 2022 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by conorw ➡️
Thanks, appreciate the positive feedback and recommendations! The setup you describe is exactly what I'm imagining. Would you go for an all out analog synth like the deepmind over something like the above-mentioned JX-08 + a drum machine/sampler?

Budget-wise, I could probably pick up the latter combo used for near enough to what a new deepmind 12 would cost me(there are none on the second hand market in my country).
I’d definitely go for an analog like a Deepmind before I went for a VA emulation. The difference is pretty subtle, but it’s there and if you care for such things, it’s very nice to have. The Deepmind is an excellent value, for sure and would give you a bit of analog in your world of plugins. Warning: if you get hooked on it, analog synths are habit forming and before you know it, you’ve spent a few thousands of dollars and filled up your spare room with them.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➡️
I just was looking at some JX-08 videos and it does seem to be a pretty good synth especially since it is 20 voice polyphonic and bitimbral.
I didn't know this. So it's really closer to a JX10, which is a beautiful sounding synth. Now I have to talk myself out of buying one!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I’d definitely go for an analog like a Deepmind before I went for a VA emulation. The difference is pretty subtle, but it’s there and if you care for such things, it’s very nice to have. The Deepmind is an excellent value, for sure and would give you a bit of analog in your world of plugins. Warning: if you get hooked on it, analog synths are habit forming and before you know it, you’ve spent a few thousands of dollars and filled up your spare room with them.
Space is one of the reasons I was looking at the JX-08, I'm not sure how my girlfriend will feel about me coming home with an 88 key keyboard one day, and then a 49 key synth soon after

I'm also thinking I'm probably too naive to tell the difference at my current level of experience, so maybe the VA would be a good introduction, and I could trade up to an analog synth after a while(or more likely keep it and just buy another!).
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Space is one of the reasons I was looking at the JX-08, I'm not sure how my girlfriend will feel about me coming home with an 88 key keyboard one day, and then a 49 key synth soon after

I'm also thinking I'm probably too naive to tell the difference at my current level of experience, so maybe the VA would be a good introduction, and I could trade up to an analog synth after a while(or more likely keep it and just buy another!).
Deepmind comes in keyboard and module styles.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
Deepmind comes in keyboard and module styles.
True, I completely forgot that somehow!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
That is an extremely nice setup you have! In relation to your MIDI keyboard comment, I am starting piano lessons, so I am buying a large keyboard anyway for that purpose, I was just going to make sure that has the right features to connect to and control any synth I buy.

I am more than happy to use ITB stuff for drums for the time being, I do like the level of physical control and room for improvisation something like the Digitakt has though, to be honest I would mainly just be looking for something that can easily create professional sounding drums/percussion without having to trawl through sample packs! Again, it all goes back to wanting to just make some music in an enjoyable process I suppose.
Well, the Digitakt is still a sampler, so you'll still be scrolling through sample packs to some extent. The good thing is that the sound manipulation on the DT is easy/accessible, so you could start with a sample of just about anything and mangle it into something else.

If you go with the DT, you will probably find yourself painted into a few corners because of the polyphony (8 voices). But with the single cycle wave forms and sound/parameter locks, you can get yourself out of most jams with a little creativity.

Last edited by cogsy; 2nd April 2022 at 04:44 AM..
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
True, I completely forgot that somehow!
You’ll thank me later. More modulation, more voices, more effects, etc.
📝 Reply