The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Really cool tunes get only litte plays - too much competition or too less promo?!
Old 12th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Really cool tunes get only litte plays - too much competition or too less promo?!

Why do really great tracks like these get so little plays?!

Too much competition?

Too little promo?

Do people lose interest in dance because of closed clubs?

Released: 19.11.2021
Label: Armada (4,99 million followers)
YouTube plays: 226.876
Spotify plays: 317.215

Released: 03.12.2021
Label: Electronic Nature / Jonas Blue (1.540 followers)
YouTube plays: 20.058
Spotify plays: 191.598
Old 12th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dub_of_ace ➡️
They all sound generic and boring like the ones you linked.
What are these tracks doing that hasn't been done 15 years ago? Nothing and it already sounded generic 15 years ago.
This!
Dance music is way bigger than EDM fastfood.
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
There are some great new track released like this one

Old 12th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I'm in several promo pools and I get hundreds of tracks a day. They all sound generic and boring like the ones you linked.

What are these tracks doing that hasn't been done 15 years ago? Nothing and it already sounded generic 15 years ago.
Of course they are not inventing the wheel new.

Kryder is classic 90s trance, vocals remind me a little bit of Lasgo.
Tom Westy is classic (pop) house.
Both tunes are not mediocre, they ARE "good"!

Just compare it to Fisher's „Just Feels Tight“:

It went off even the "nude" video wasn't released.
YouTube: 2.490.666 watches
Spofity: 18.496.618 plays

What is "new" here or better than the two tracks above?!

It's just some kind of Mr. Oizo vs. Benny Benassi vs. Call on me

Quote:
The only good thing these days is that old trendsetter platforms like Beatport have become completely irrelevant and are probably on their death bed.
Is this really good? If Spotify now sets the "trends"?

Quote:
Originally Posted by redloheb ➡️
This!
Dance music is way bigger than EDM fastfood.
These two tracks aren't "EDM".

Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➡️
There are some great new track released like this one
Sounds like some 80s track with modern sounds. Not even "Deep House" at all.
Old 12th January 2022
Gear Addict
Promo, timing, talent and more promo... Listener count has f$&k all to do with merits of music..

Anyway, 200k listens and releasing on Armada isn't small-time at all in this super saturated genre. IMHO Kryder sounds a lot more prog house than "classic trance", has that boring big Above & Beyond/Cosmic Gate sound, super sparse 4/4 drums and too much vocals...

That Fisher track is pre-party drinking music and will go on way more Spotify playlists and clubs than deep house snoozefests (just being objective). Those types of beats don't go out of fashion. Fisher also started as a pro surfer, was half of a DJ duo in the same circuit and had access to exposure... Connect the dots.

I don't listen to a ton of trance but producer Sam Laxton nails my favorite aspects, driving energy and focusing on the arpeggios, gets a few thousand listens to 20K maybe. Not a big genre these days i guess. Don't get me started on actual left-field and innovative music...
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1993 ➡️
Both tunes are not mediocre, they ARE "good"!
This would be difficult to ascertain beyond a subjective opinion, at least within the confines of this forum. Perhaps you need a poll?
Old 12th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I used to worry about this but now I just DGAF. But then again after 22 years I'm not trying to put food on the table with "techno" anymore and, when I look around, life is a shit ton better for it.

I just release stuff. If people like it, fine. They don't want to listen, fine. 1m streams for me (according to Soundexchange) in 2021 and $257 is what I got. Screw off.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeWestSE ➡️
That Fisher track is pre-party drinking music and will go on way more Spotify playlists and clubs than deep house snoozefests (just being objective). Those types of beats don't go out of fashion.
So they people want "simple" club tunes?

Kryder & Tom Westy are not commercial enough to be played by big fm stations and too commercial to be played in clubs?
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cognistudio ➡️
This would be difficult to ascertain beyond a subjective opinion, at least within the confines of this forum. Perhaps you need a poll?
Of course my personal taste. I compare them with similar tunes from the same genre.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Of course my personal taste. I compare them with similar tunes from the same genre.

All of these are over 1 mil, so it's your taste that is ****ed.
Old 13th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Its always been this way, aint nothing new about this
Old 13th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 15 years
Not my genre but I really dug the first song. Kryder? Piece of Art. The other was more generic at least to me.

That’s said promotion is the name of the game. People have to know about it. And they need to be persuaded.
Old 13th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Just compare it to Fisher's „Just Feels Tight“ … It went off even the "nude" video wasn't released.
YouTube: 2.490.666 watches
Spofity: 18.496.618 plays

What is "new" here or better than the two tracks above?!

It's just some kind of Mr. Oizo vs. Benny Benassi vs. Call on me …
If you can’t tell the difference between these tracks and the two you posted then I’m not sure what to tell you.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
If you can’t tell the difference between these tracks and the two you posted then I’m not sure what to tell you.
Fisher is 100% club, the others are fm radio (i've said this). So i thought they must have more plays...
Old 13th January 2022
Gear Nut

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanass ➡️
Good question!

But i prefer well done "classic" house instead of "supermodern" EDM crap.
Old 13th January 2022
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Don't know if Silence or Saltwater, or any of the stuff from that era would do well today as "new" music. It certainly was musical and simpler. New EDM has its place but it's so freaking over edited and over produced to me. I always imagine some nose-ringed gamer dork who sleeps on his buddy's couch with a Macbook and a pair of airpods making most of what we hear today. Garden variety house hasn't changed much in 25 years, it's still around, which I think says a lot.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
This is "classic house" to you? Very mainstream to me IMO

This is more on the lines of what I think of when I think of classic house (the modern version of classic house. Not classic house as it was 88-92ish)

Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
This is "classic house" to you? Very mainstream to me IMO
Tom Westy is classic (piano) house! Fisher is so-called "tech-house".
Old 13th January 2022
IOF
Gear Maniac

"That's not music~! That's EDM!" Eleanor Shellstrop
Old 13th January 2022
Lives for gear

Quote:
Why do really great tracks like these get so little plays?!

Too much competition?

Too little promo?

Do people lose interest in dance because of closed clubs?

Released: 19.11.2021
Label: Armada (4,99 million followers)
YouTube plays: 226.876
Spotify plays: 317.215

Released: 03.12.2021
Label: Electronic Nature / Jonas Blue (1.540 followers)
YouTube plays: 20.058
Spotify plays: 191.598
Not for nothing, but this stuff sounds like it's made for a Sephora rather than a club.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
These two tracks aren't "EDM".
They are "Electronic Dance Music fastfood" no doubt
aka "House/Prog McDonalds"
aka "We will, we will clone you"
aka "We have little imagination and lot of time"
aka "2022 BSPF".

Tracks like this only exist to be forgotten.
Old 13th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Obviously I’m not in the right crowds to judge the quality of this, if you asked me blind I would have assumed this sound hasn’t been popular for 20 years, it doesn’t sound different or interesting to me.

But marketing and marketability is largely what drives how popular a song is, there are innumerable amounts of great music that nobody will ever hear because there is too much choice and distraction.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
Obviously I’m not in the right crowds to judge the quality of this, if you asked me blind I would have assumed this sound hasn’t been popular for 20 years, it doesn’t sound different or interesting to me.

But marketing and marketability is largely what drives how popular a song is, there are innumerable amounts of great music that nobody will ever hear because there is too much choice and distraction.
There’s always the same amount of high quality music: very little.
Old 13th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
A Youtube video should actually show the artist in person if the intent is actual promotion imho. Nothing promotes better than personality.

I don't do playback but that is a step up from what I saw in this thread.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iksrazal ➡️
A Youtube video should actually show the artist in person if the intent is actual promotion imho. Nothing promotes better than personality.
What!!??!?!!?!

They invested time in production, distribution and promotion. No time/money anymore for a "real" music video.

Just enjoy the screenshot of the album cover or a "lyrics video"
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kslight ➡️
A very valid point, how do you do marketing in 2022? How to reach through the noice barrier and find the potential audience?

A combination of luck and talent?

Old 14th January 2022
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
those two tracks don't get views for a very simple reason, they suck. the vocalists are terrible, the production is weak, it's been done a million times way better, and they are terrible songs without much in the way of actual musicianship or even much of a tune. just horrible derivative crap with zero emotion or meaning.
Old 14th January 2022
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by depulse ➡️
A very valid point, how do you do marketing in 2022? How to reach through the noice barrier and find the potential audience?

A combination of luck and talent?
90% followers & connections (to labels, promoters, ...)
9% luck
1% talent

The problem for most newcomers: they have no followers, labels also don't want them because of that.

I mean even Kryder doesn't make it BIG. So you can imagine how hard it is for a newcomer.

I would like to release piano house like Tom Westy but if i see his low plays it leads me to "why should i do this and fail too?".

Quote:
Originally Posted by neonrider ➡️
those two tracks don't get views for a very simple reason, they suck. the vocalists are terrible, the production is weak, it's been done a million times way better, and they are terrible songs without much in the way of actual musicianship or even much of a tune. just horrible derivative crap with zero emotion or meaning.
Like this (but why is it on #1 on all dance charts worldwide?!):

Old 14th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

Like this (but why is it on #1 on all dance charts worldwide?!):

Sounds awful, but my guess is that it manages to steer a course somewhere between proper house music and a more commercial type sound, and thus both sets of people will enjoy it?
📝 Reply