Quantcast
New Casio Synth in 2022?? Woweee - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
New Casio Synth in 2022?? Woweee
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

It looks like Casio has something in the works with this new promo. We see some strobe lights and lasers flash over some sort of keyboard, while a vocoder voice asks "Do you hear the music?" I'm sure some enterprising soul could reconstruct the panel from this, but I'll leave that to you internet detectives.

Speculation starts now!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
if you play it at 0.25 speed you can see some of the details. about 8 knobs on it. 4 under the screen and 4 on the left. would't get my hopes up for some spectacular thing. it's probably crippled in some weird way and horrible to work with but capable of some splendid sounds with enough programming and hair pulling.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I think Casio have invented a new form of synthesis, based not on the modulation of sine waves, but on the demodulation of square waves.

On purchasing this new synth I will finally achieve global stardom in the electro underground that I richly deserve
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Love a bit of Casio :-)
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➑️
I think Casio have invented a new form of synthesis, based not on the modulation of sine waves, but on the demodulation of square waves.

On purchasing this new synth I will finally achieve global stardom in the electro underground that I richly deserve
Hahah. I don't think I need a new form of synthesis, but I will be horribly tempted if this is some one-trick pony vocoder machine that does something nifty and has a decent interface for a reasonable price. Being able to run drums through it, or speak and sample the results for mangling might be worth it, even if it has a Happy Meal build quality. Who are the players in the low-end hardware vocoder game right now, Novation Mininova and Microkorg? Behringer VC-340? The Roland VP-03 is on its way to collector prices now, so that's a no-go.
Old 2 weeks ago
Yul
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Go Casio! Their latest CT-X5000 has some great sounds (mixed with meh sounds) and their internal VA engine seems top notch (could not tweak it however). Hopefully this is an improvement.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
They should do a JV with Sequential or hire Axel Hartmann for UI design
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Sorry, bud, but you got scooped.

Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The trailer uses the acronym AIX. A bit of Google-ing tells me this stands for "Acoustic Intelligent eXpression." They claim this is their new cutting edge DSP tech.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Looks like built-in speakers and no mod wheel. I don't have too much hope.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Unless your name is vangelis, you don’t need a mod wheel! Or a keyboard for that matter

I can’t wait to see what sort of infrasound this machine can spit out - it’s going to destroy speakers everywhere
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Exe2479 ➑️
Looks like built-in speakers and no mod wheel. I don't have too much hope.
They could use the heathen placement of mod wheel above the keyboard, rather than beside. The light doesn't catch the left side of the panel well, so it's possible. It looks like a 4-5 octave board from the brief view.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Yes, I do hear the music. Am I ready? If I don’t need pants, yes.
Yul
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➑️
The trailer uses the acronym AIX. A bit of Google-ing tells me this stands for "Acoustic Intelligent eXpression." They claim this is their new cutting edge DSP tech.
They have had AIX for some some. As per my above post, the CT-X5000 has AIX. The new PCM sounds were quite good and the hidden VA too but very little control (as usual).
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
AIX was a fantastic IBM UNIX-variant that powered their 90s midrange boxes - I bet this synth is running AIX, as they will need that level of control over each of the demodulation routines, where each square wave is an AIX process, under the supervision of the Master Control Program

End of line
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Pause the youtube vid as the light sweeps across the panel. Then frame advance and reverse with . and , keys.. really doesn't look like something to excite us.. sadly

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo ➑️
Pause the youtube vid as the light sweeps across the panel. Then frame advance and reverse with . and , keys.. really doesn't look like something to excite us.. sadly

If I cared, I could bring those into Photoshop as layers and use one of the blend modes to make a single image.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Today, I learned...
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagoo ➑️

I feel like I have superpowers now.

You may be right. I counted 5 knobs and something like 12 buttons. Hype levels are falling...
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sebastian N ➑️
if you play it at 0.25 speed you can see some of the details. about 8 knobs on it. 4 under the screen and 4 on the left. would't get my hopes up for some spectacular thing. it's probably crippled in some weird way and horrible to work with but capable of some splendid sounds with enough programming and hair pulling.
Spot on.

It's so incredibly bizarre to me how little, if any market research they're doing. Reminds me of Roland and a couple other bigger fish. They just design something then begin mass production and pray that everyone will like it. If only they would take just one single day to cruise GS and ask a handful of people the core features needed to make a successful product for beginners and prosumers. Instead we get handed oddly crippled bullshit that's either missing a single crucial input or output, or missing some major function that could easily be implemented with a firmware update.

It's a shame too because they lose half their sales when they knowingly, or unknowingly omit features. We lose out on a chance to buy some fun cheap gear that could be useful.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years

I don't think it's for us unfortunately, but the kids might like it. I just bought one of the CT-X series for mine. Amazing value for money.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricera ➑️

I don't think it's for us unfortunately, but the kids might like it. I just bought one of the CT-X series for mine. Amazing value for money.
thanks for putting it together

looks like casio have about as much interest as yamaha in making a new synth.
Old 2 weeks ago
Casiotone CT-S1000V and CT-S500. Mentioned briefly at the end of another thread: 2021 Casiotones - CT-S1 and CTS-400
Attached Thumbnails
New Casio Synth in 2022?? Woweee-20220107_113032.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
vlz
Lives for gear

you can tell how much GS is starved of new gear when there's a lot of excitement surrounding a release of two toy keyboards by Casio.

Hard times eh?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vlz ➑️
you can tell how much GS is starved of new gear when there's a lot of excitement surrounding a release of two toy keyboards by Casio.

Hard times eh?
Oh there's more than enough inexpensive cool toys one could blow their money on. The interest here is because of Casio's proven ability in the past to make useable and good sounding instruments for not much cash.

I also admittedly have a weird thing for Casio watches. Got around a dozen ranging from ultra cheap to higher end G-Shock models. They make some very elegant Rolex looking watches that are very solid and their high speed athletic/outdoors/aviation/diving style watches come in a wide variety of interesting designs and color variants. Extremely durable and loaded with features. They need their watch division to help their music division.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by WrecklessEyeball ➑️
Casiotone CT-S1000V and CT-S500. Mentioned briefly at the end of another thread: 2021 Casiotones - CT-S1 and CTS-400
First one is the CT-S500- synth oriented, with two assignable K knobs.

Second one is the CT-S1000V that has a programmable arpeggiator and a text-to-speech vocoder.

These features would be much nicer on an advanced workstation/arranger. Instead they spread them out over their toy line.

There are free plug ins that do these things already.
Attached Thumbnails
New Casio Synth in 2022?? Woweee-hdpanel-master.jpg  
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Text to speech vocoder? Like a "speak n spell"
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
this is so sad. i just want a new CZ, with a few knobs, maybe an FX section, velocity sensitivity
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt pinchin ➑️
Text to speech vocoder? Like a "speak n spell"
A speak n spell only says words in its memory (and gibberish when you circuit bend it). This is probably more like the text to speech famous from old Mac OS.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oh one of those that only ever gets used for rude words
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by swanage ➑️
this is so sad. i just want a new CZ, with a few knobs, maybe an FX section, velocity sensitivity
Casio is practically begging to get scooped by a budding Chinese company.

The MZ-X series released in 2015 was close to what everybody really wants from Casio. Were they to clean up it's UI, add AiX/AiR, and dumped in all of the XW features- they would have something many people would buy over a YamahaPSR-SX900, Korg PA1000, and even the Korg Nautilus.

Have they just become half-baked try-hards? Is it that they have megalomaniac marketers whom are completely out of touch? Or could it be that they are just a subsidiary of a shadow conglomerate that also makes hardware for Casio's "competitors"?
πŸ“ Reply