Quantcast
How to get Detroit Techno Sounds - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get Detroit Techno Sounds
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
(edit: lol just talking rubbish again)

Last edited by ibtl; 4 weeks ago at 09:50 AM..
Old 4 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Less talking, more walking....
Using the Toriaz Squid Live (no DAW)
Attached Files

Parallax_1001.mp3 (13.63 MB, 46 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
This is so damn true. After nearly 24 years of producing, no matter how hard I try, I still sound like me albeit a little (a lot?) more adept at production. Now sometimes I see these videos where some random dude can nail Deadmau5's biggest tracks, or completely recreate "Smack My Bitch Up" perfectly and I'm in awe. Those guys are uber nerds and I wonder if they could make an original banger on their own.

Occasionally I'll take a track I like, import it to Ableton and then try and follow along and replicate. It ALWAYS comes out sounding different, but it ALWAYS comes out sounding like me.
Absolutely and I think it’s important to sound like you, nothing wrong with that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
For me it's about doing your thing. And it's about pure, not polished and not template driven. The Epitome of everything it shouldn't be IMHO being the template techno from Vengeance. (major props for the producing techniques, but Beatport is flooded with template "me too" noob techno "created" from below.)

So forget tutorials, forget the preset packs of the month, forget the production templates, forget the loop packs. and do YOUR thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibtl ➡️
dunno, it's stupid, but i like to think of Techno as the music form closest to skateboarding: if you look at what was being done in '78, and the way the sport evolved to a much higher average level, with new forms, better gear, new audience, and an enduring appeal - i do think Techno is a bit like that. (Techno is a term that for me embraces multitudinous subgenres)
but the original main guys had the pure chops (in both). it's a practice as much as a music form. you don't need to be specifically original - though that's good too - as long as it bangs (or whatever it's doing). and 'copyist' doesn't matter, because it's all about variations on a theme, feeding the machine. in a way, subsuming individuality, to contribute (much as R.Hood says in that interview).
Old 4 weeks ago
Is Detroit on synths tday? Interesting. I´d recommend to sample and pitch them a bit. The rest ius just vibes.

You can grab samples easily from older records by the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgFuFnHWnp4
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear
Like mentioned a bit less daw tweaking. In the 90’s-2000’s me and most people I knew in detroit were mixing our tracks live in a decent but not fancy mixer. Bouncing down live to tape, cd ( master link haha ). Using cheap fx in the aux. being creative.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by romplix ➡️
Is Detroit on synths tday? Interesting. I´d recommend to sample and pitch them a bit. The rest ius just vibes.

You can grab samples easily from older records by the way https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgFuFnHWnp4
The whole point is to program these yourself rather than just rip 1/4/8/16 measures.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by szyam ➡️
Like mentioned a bit less daw tweaking. In the 90’s-2000’s me and most people I knew in detroit were mixing our tracks live in a decent but not fancy mixer. Bouncing down live to tape, cd ( master link haha ). Using cheap fx in the aux. being creative.

A fair amount still work this way tbh
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
i have dealt with kenny and he is a nice guy, humble too, only he could say but i imagine stuff like that is not a turn on

but yeah, vip badges? throw up emoji
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
wot no mention of Suburban Knight

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Gear Nut

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted 43e8601 ➡️
How comes you still didn't give Larkin some VIP badge + special perks or something? There is a missed opportunity on this forum I always found it stupid not to explore . That's exactly the kind of valuable people you want to attract here.
Oh hell no! I'm no more special than anyone else here. I wouldn't want to be singled out. Let me stay in "cloaked" mode and troll in peace! 😅
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Trying to KISS
MOOG One, Mother & DFAM
Acidlabs Drumatix and LX-02
All sequenced live, recorded in one take

Beat nice and clunky, chordpads go deeper and deeper. Little mistakes along the way. #nopolish
Attached Files

LiveTechno_1001.mp3 (10.69 MB, 72 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaks Dude ➡️
This is so damn true. After nearly 24 years of producing, no matter how hard I try, I still sound like me albeit a little (a lot?) more adept at production. Now sometimes I see these videos where some random dude can nail Deadmau5's biggest tracks, or completely recreate "Smack My Bitch Up" perfectly and I'm in awe. Those guys are uber nerds and I wonder if they could make an original banger on their own.

Occasionally I'll take a track I like, import it to Ableton and then try and follow along and replicate. It ALWAYS comes out sounding different, but it ALWAYS comes out sounding like me.
I had exactly this thought yesterday. There are so many technically talented people out there that I sometimes feel embarrassed to call myself a producer.

In the past I always thought I had to master the art by being able to recreate certain vibes I admire. But I'm really not good at it.

But I've created tracks I'm proud of that are just from my heart, sounding different to the style I admire.

I just recently started to accept that I will mostly not sound exactly like the music that love to listen the most. I wasted a lot of time trying.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by AreYouHuman ➡️
I had exactly this thought yesterday. There are so many technically talented people out there that I sometimes feel embarrassed to call myself a producer.

In the past I always thought I had to master the art by being able to recreate certain vibes I admire. But I'm really not good at it.

But I've created tracks I'm proud of that are just from my heart, sounding different to the style I admire.

I just recently started to accept that I will mostly not sound exactly like the music that love to listen the most. I wasted a lot of time trying.
Hey man, you should post a track here for us to listen to?
What is your style of music you create versus what you admire?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Analogue Mastering ➡️
For me it's about doing your thing. And it's about pure, not polished and not template driven. The Epitome of everything it shouldn't be IMHO being the template techno from Vengeance. (major props for the producing techniques, but Beatport is flooded with template "me too" noob techno "created" from below.)

So forget tutorials, forget the preset packs of the month, forget the production templates, forget the loop packs. and do YOUR thing.
The unsync'd LFO is already totally played out.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Yeah, can’t hear anymore of that Artbat / Monolink template techno.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I dont have anything to do with these guys but probably this would interest the OP.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswolfenstein ➡️
The unsync'd LFO is already totally played out.
First time I listened to this.. It's like, not even Techno? Sounds more like trance or progressive house to me ear

If we consider Rob Hood wanted to make that one person in the back of the room to go nuts like being visited by a holy ghost, this is almost the polar opposite of that. Big Room boredom..
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Trying to KISS
MOOG One, Mother & DFAM
Acidlabs Drumatix and LX-02
All sequenced live, recorded in one take

Beat nice and clunky, chordpads go deeper and deeper. Little mistakes along the way. #nopolish
Sorry , but I wouldn't call this techno
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
First time I listened to this.. It's like, not even Techno? Sounds more like trance or progressive house to me ear

If we consider Rob Hood wanted to make that one person in the back of the room to go nuts like being visited by a holy ghost, this is almost the polar opposite of that. Big Room boredom..

The new melodic techno is more like 90's trance than techno.

Trance and progressive house are more upbeat than techno is, and there's structural differences. Melodic techno tends to be more repetitive with less big changes than trance.

Melodic techno also has more intricate drums.

Melodic techno have a simple drop while prog/trance will have drops that keep the melody going.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
Sorry , but I wouldn't call this techno
Doing a live jam is a techno thing.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
O.K. then , from now on every live jam is called techno
Gotcha
Quote:
The whole point is to program these yourself rather than just rip 1/4/8/16 measures.
I don´t want to end up discussing terms, but when I think of "Detroit" and what Blake Baxter did to us @ Dorian Gray I rather think of hells angels than synthesizers.

Sample - tune - mangle - destroy - ploink!°°
Lives for gear

Quote:
The new melodic techno is more like 90's trance than techno.

Trance and progressive house are more upbeat than techno is, and there's structural differences. Melodic techno tends to be more repetitive with less big changes than trance.

Melodic techno also has more intricate drums.

Melodic techno have a simple drop while prog/trance will have drops that keep the melody going.
To my ears they are too similar to each other. Still refusing to call that one techno
"Man Trance" perhaps, but not techno
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by romplix ➡️
I don´t want to end up discussing terms, but when I think of "Detroit" and what Blake Baxter did to us @ Dorian Gray I rather think of hells angels than synthesizers.

Sample - tune - mangle - destroy - ploink!°°
I guess it depends on what you’re after, it’s not fundemental religion.
Yes you can sample vibes and rehash, or you can go even further back and recreate the source.
In my case it’s really about trying to create a certain vibe, not to recycle, not identical, but in spirit. With a workflow where I stay in midi untill mixdown. Not because it’s better or more purist, it’s just the way I like to work.
Quote:
So lemme get this straight....

If you do a live Rock Jam it's a Techno thing
If you do a live Jazz Jam it's a Techno thing
If you do a live Heavy Metal Jam it's a Techno thing
Here for the gear

The good thing is that most of the homemade detroit techno attempts in this thread and across youtube are so far off the real thing that I'm confident that all the old detroit stuff is going to reach a mona-lisa like status. In my world they already have.

No matter the ever growing amount of features, technologies and the flood of bargain toys out there, you still dont nail it...what does that tell you?

A lot of these detroit techno and house classics are actually complex arrangements from guys who are highly talented or at least highly inspired musicians. In any case these people where very determined.
Back in the day one had to think carefully about what they could afford.

A $15'000 setup in 1986 would be equal $38'000 in 2021. It requires a good amount of confidence and determination to do such investment. Ultimately there was also a lot of cooperation with PRO mastering studios, arrangers and talented singer, songwriters. Thus, also lot of experience and brain power involved. Today any hikikomori can load a preset sequence, sync gear, press record and upload everything onto the web in 30 minutes. Not really a sign of true commitment or talent. Isnt it?

My fat, weed smoking idiot neighbour can afford spending 1500.-- euro for a TD-3, RD-8, RD-9, MS-1 a mixer and a ADC. Doing so is not a sign of determination or a indicator for talent but a sign of a hiper deflated market and slave labour. Any broke hillbilly can afford that amout of gear with social welfare and thats what we witness with 99% of YT electronica performance artists these days. A utter void of talent, a flood of cringe uninspired self promoting woke hikikomori nerds who think investing 1000 euros for gear makes them a artist. Ever wondered why you see all these new gear presenter where they keep on talking for 15 minute showing of their vast technical know-how while presenting just 1 minute of some kind of drone-sounds?

No matter the amount of YT videos out there, it is a rare thing to find vibrant inspiring house or techno performances these days. Thats why everyone sticks to the timeless music of 1985-1993 of that genre. If I find myself 10 DOPE videos of new bedroom techno/house productions a year its actually a lot.

Behind the art of TRAX, metroplex and UR detroit techno is indead a system, a technique but even more a SPIRIT. Dont expect that insiders spill the beans. You get hints here and there. However, talented artists of any genre dont allow you easily to have a look into their soul. Neither they share the full spectrum of acquired technical knowledge and those who push to the forefront are more than not anything, but talented but most of the time self-promoters aka behringer people. The UR guys didnt seek public attention.

Also there is a flood of guerilla marketing out there by new gear producers pointing you more than not into the wrong direction. Behringer is a expert in these fields.

But than again, even gettin yourself the real thing such a Tr-909 doesnt get you there by itself. I just visited a live performance artists who played me some of his tracks based on a real TR-909 TB-303 and some Roland classics. The tracks where awfully bad and uninspiring. It almost gave me a headache Thus, it is neiter a question of gear.

So...what is the secret of the magic of vintage detroit techno? No way around but you will need to start digging far and deep into that rabbit hole. A process that requires working on your talent, knowledge, cooperation and INSPIRATION in the very first line rather than stacking up gear.

But than again...why is it that all boutique, behringer cringe people dont manage to come up with a dope track out of millions of YT videos? Maybe because these people are cheap on the inside...

...or the magic of simplicity..

Face it...this is you...if you cant spot the difference, its a lost cause...
Pug
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadz ➡️
The good thing is that most of the homemade detroit techno attempts in this thread and across youtube are so far off the real thing that I'm confident that all the old detroit stuff is going to reach a mona-lisa like status. In my world they already have.
Why do you think that is a good thing? Wouldn’t you prefer a vibrant scene with lots of new and interesting music?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearheadz ➡️
A $15'000 setup in 1986 would be equal $38'000 in 2021. It requires a good amount of confidence and determination to do such investment. Ultimately there was also a lot of cooperation with PRO mastering studios, arrangers and talented singer, songwriters. Thus, also lot of experience and brain power involved. Today any hikikomori can load a preset sequence, sync gear, press record and upload everything onto the web in 30 minutes. Not really a sign of true commitment or talent. Isnt it?
On the other hand, analog synths sold for dirt cheap in the early ninties since the mass market was lusting for digital synths. And if you read that Robert Hood interview earlier he did his stuff on very modest gear.
📝 Reply