Quantcast
How to get Detroit Techno Sounds - Page 18 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
How to get Detroit Techno Sounds
Old 5 days ago
  #511
Lives for gear
 
Looneytune's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Will check out later Derp…
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #512
Lives for gear
 
jm2c's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
I love Robert Hood but in a lot of ways he is very much an outlier stylistically within “detroit techno”. Probably the album he did that is most within that framework is this:



Anyway it’s probably worthwhile to check out a lot of other detroit music.
oh man, I love wire to wire's "beatless" tracks. Like The Age Of Eleven, wow! Actually, I'd love a radio station that only played detroit music without any beat

To you the drum patterns of Detroit techno are special, but I'm all about those melodies/harmonies
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #513
Lives for gear
 
NawwwwwSun's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
oh man, I love wire to wire's "beatless" tracks. Like The Age Of Eleven, wow! Actually, I'd love a radio station that only played detroit music without any beat

To you the drum patterns of Detroit techno are special, but I'm all about those melodies/harmonies
To me that album is what I think Derrick May’s music would sound like if he hadn’t stopped making it.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #514
Gear Maniac
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by martino_ ➡️
His Psyche record on Transmat and BFC records on Fragile and ART were all over incredible, and no I don’t think anyone was making similar stuff at the time.

The BFC record on Fragile in particular is super raw - sample-driven, recorded to tape, roughly edited.
Here’s Carl talking about his workflow & gear on some of these records

Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #515
Here for the gear
 
Marco77's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
oh man, I love wire to wire's "beatless" tracks. Like The Age Of Eleven, wow! Actually, I'd love a radio station that only played detroit music without any beat

To you the drum patterns of Detroit techno are special, but I'm all about those melodies/harmonies
Cool tune, i‘m with u with the detroit vibe coming from the feeling/melodics bigtime ! The obvious Larkin track „my travels“ came to mind first, Dan Curtin‘s intro from Silicon Dawn album. A contemporary beatless one (produced itb) i really dig, although its nowhere near the way ruffer/direct detroit vibe is Luigi Tozzi‘s Mesopelagic Zone, check it out : https://youtu.be/7MGVmQhRnfU
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #516
UK Techno artist Kirk Degiorgio

Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #517
Gear Maniac
 
Two part discussion with Francois K and Carl Craig on hardware, outboard, production and mixing





GS gets a shout out in part 2 although whatever CC replies with when Francois asks about GS is edited out
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #518
Gear Head
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass ➡️
2 of my all time fave tracks. Didn't one or both of these guys go on to form Altern 8?
Yep!
They re released their album a couple of years ago I believe, as well.
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #519
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswolfenstein ➡️
The new melodic techno is more like 90's trance than techno.

Trance and progressive house are more upbeat than techno is, and there's structural differences. Melodic techno tends to be more repetitive with less big changes than trance.

Melodic techno also has more intricate drums.

Melodic techno have a simple drop while prog/trance will have drops that keep the melody going.
The major turnoff with a lot of todays Techno is that it uses methods of arrangement/tension building from EDM.

It sounds to me like the kids that used to like Avicii (RIP), Hardwell etc. now want something more cool and listen to that kind of Techno.
Old 5 days ago
  #520
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Nice YT's posted enjoying listening to them
Old 5 days ago
  #521
Gear Maniac
 
dubguy99's Avatar
 
Saw this thread, whipped this together in an hour during a break. Diva does a pretty good Alpha Juno, I have to say
Attached Files

Hoodish.wav (10.87 MB, 826 views)

Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #522
Lives for gear
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 ➡️
Saw this thread, whipped this together in an hour during a break. Diva does a pretty good Alpha Juno, I have to say
Fits in with the Wire to Wire album sound. Very cool. You just playing a chord into a random arpeggiator for this?
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
  #523
Gear Maniac
 
dubguy99's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar ➡️
Fits in with the Wire to Wire album sound. Very cool. You just playing a chord into a random arpeggiator for this?
That's what I was going for, hehe

Step sequencer into chord memory.
Old 5 days ago
  #524
Gear Maniac
 
dubguy99's Avatar
 
Another quick one, Mills ca. Waveform Transmissions

Getting a rough facsimile of the sounds isnt so difficult if you know what youre doing... but what makes the originals special is the sequencing... those guys were masters on the sequencer. They werent just masing buttons, they were composing, working with concepts, trying to make a vision come to life...
Attached Files

Mills-ish.wav (8.22 MB, 730 views)

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #525
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Techno music as genre you'd find labeled as such in a record store originated in Detroit. However the roots of techno are global.

Techno encompasses a wide range of styles residing within the overlap of house, electro, EBM/industrial, and ambient music. It's tone is 'futuristic'.

Detroit techno is techno music from Detroit. Period. Made by people from or associated with the Detroit Scene or released on Detroit Labels. It's regional association as is say Berlin Techno.

'Detroit Techno' is not a genre, and there is no template for or description of the music that can distinguish it from Techno from other places in the world.

So why are people often into "Detroit Techno" in particular?

Detroit has a strong musical culture, and many producers of techno from Detroit have musical skills outside of techno production. It's a competitive scene where artists are respected for developing their own sound / style. In other words they maintain standards and keep it real. Music that is a pastiche of elements from the works of various artists from Detroit is generally not going to cut it. Still, none of those factors are unique to Detroit. Ultimately it comes down to a kind of cultural karma that gets passed along within the community and being of that community is the only thing that distinguishes it as being "Detroit".

Why do people with no connection to Detroit want to call their music "Detroit Techno"? Because they want to be associated with something that is respected, and they have an imaginary notion of what that is (it's not mournful strings, specific gear, or any particular beat / harmonic/melodic style).
Old 4 days ago
  #526
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Here is a new jam, inspired by some of the stuff i heard today, of course seasoned with my own pedigree

Bit more on the uplifting side of techno
Attached Files

TechJam09_1001.mp3 (9.49 MB, 78 views)

Old 4 days ago
  #527
Gear Maniac
 
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #528
Lives for gear
 
TonStrom's Avatar
 
2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
So why are people often into "Detroit Techno" in particular?
because it's got a vibe, it's got soul, it's futuristic and avantgarde.
and it seems to me, that the producers from Detroit are more down to earth than a lot of the other "I am so super importants" and so their music also sounds to me.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #529
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
Why do people with no connection to Detroit want to call their music "Detroit Techno"? Because they want to be associated with something that is respected, and they have an imaginary notion of what that is (it's not mournful strings, specific gear, or any particular beat / harmonic/melodic style).
Yes that's exactly it. It's fine if you have a connection to the city of Detroit or you actually come from there. But it's okay to be influenced or to make something similar though. But it's best not to label it as Detroit Techno. Just labelling it as Techno is fine.
Old 4 days ago
  #530
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Moar (just) Techno (share your tracks guys!) again live, no DAW.
Attached Files

TechJam10_1001.mp3 (7.78 MB, 51 views)

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #531
Lives for gear
 
usedtohaveajuno's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
What does live mean, or not using a DAW have to do with it - programming a sequencer isn't playing live

None of this has anything to do with the fundamental components of the Detroit Techno sound, which is what the thread is meant to be about.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #532
Lives for gear
 
jm2c's Avatar
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
Techno music as genre you'd find labeled as such in a record store originated in Detroit. However the roots of techno are global.

Techno encompasses a wide range of styles residing within the overlap of house, electro, EBM/industrial, and ambient music. It's tone is 'futuristic'.

Detroit techno is techno music from Detroit. Period. Made by people from or associated with the Detroit Scene or released on Detroit Labels. It's regional association as is say Berlin Techno.

'Detroit Techno' is not a genre, and there is no template for or description of the music that can distinguish it from Techno from other places in the world.

So why are people often into "Detroit Techno" in particular?

Detroit has a strong musical culture, and many producers of techno from Detroit have musical skills outside of techno production. It's a competitive scene where artists are respected for developing their own sound / style. In other words they maintain standards and keep it real. Music that is a pastiche of elements from the works of various artists from Detroit is generally not going to cut it. Still, none of those factors are unique to Detroit. Ultimately it comes down to a kind of cultural karma that gets passed along within the community and being of that community is the only thing that distinguishes it as being "Detroit".

Why do people with no connection to Detroit want to call their music "Detroit Techno"? Because they want to be associated with something that is respected, and they have an imaginary notion of what that is (it's not mournful strings, specific gear, or any particular beat / harmonic/melodic style).
I disagree. To me, detroit techno is a distinctive flavour of techno. I think of it as a subgenre. I cannot explain verbally what makes it its own distinctive style, but I recognize it when I hear it.

I don't think there can ever be absolute consensus about these things. Interpretation of art is a very subjective thing. But thats kind of the beauty of it too, world would be a very boring place otherwise.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #533
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
I disagree. To me, detroit techno is a distinctive flavour of techno. I think of it as a subgenre. I cannot explain verbally what makes it its own distinctive style, but I recognize it when I hear it.
Well, that kind of thinking is exactly what I am trying to say is projecting an imagined notion and not a reality, so I am not surprised we disagree.
Old 4 days ago
  #534
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
It’s a flavour to me as wel.
Often contains:
Minimal setting, 606/808/909 based, a bass synth, a pad (often arpeggios) and a chordstab/pluck (either sampled or equal chorded) regular use of polyrhythms to get deeper vibes.
Esthetic LoFi, though I prefer the authentic Lofi (where the gear was the limit, not a plugin in Ableton)
Midrange EQ’ed. Chords sampled, or minor and major scales mixed.
Tempo 125-130 on avg. everything goes in 26/32/64 steps.
Typically minimalistic produced, not much modern produced window dressing. (Whooshes, explosions, sidechaining etc.)
It can be studied and repeated by others, just like Beethoven or Mozart
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #535
Lives for gear
 
gentleclockdivid's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
What does live mean, or not using a DAW have to do with it - programming a sequencer isn't playing live

None of this has anything to do with the fundamental components of the Detroit Techno sound, which is what the thread is meant to be about.
It gives him more credibility 😀
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #536
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
It gives him more credibility
nothing to do with that, it’s a live flow, arranged in the moment. Not contemplated till death and mouse dragged in a daw.
It limits you in options as you only have 2 hands and 10 fingers, which influences outcome.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #537
Still a highly amusing thread, do carry on...
Old 3 days ago
  #538
Gear Nut
 
🎧 5 years
Nice thread. I love the old school techno sound. I think the main element is the mindset of the producer, but hardware sequencers, old school mixers etc add to the vibe. I've been shifting more to using 80s and 90s hardware and trying to jam live without a computer. Here's a jam I did last night trying to capture some old school house vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWf5...ocialNarcotics
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #539
Gear Guru
 
Bignatius's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
Nice thread. I love the old school techno sound. I think the main element is the mindset of the producer, but hardware sequencers, old school mixers etc add to the vibe. I've been shifting more to using 80s and 90s hardware and trying to jam live without a computer. Here's a jam I did last night trying to capture some old school house vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWf5...ocialNarcotics
I like this. Right on...
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #540
Lives for gear
 
Analogue Mastering's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
Nice thread. I love the old school techno sound. I think the main element is the mindset of the producer, but hardware sequencers, old school mixers etc add to the vibe. I've been shifting more to using 80s and 90s hardware and trying to jam live without a computer. Here's a jam I did last night trying to capture some old school house vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWf5...ocialNarcotics
Very groovy, like it!
📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 8805 views: 983184
Avatar for Astro Spy
Astro Spy 1 hour ago
replies: 3306 views: 70244
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
Topic:
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump