Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Will check out later Derp…
Old 5 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NawwwwwSun ➡️
I love Robert Hood but in a lot of ways he is very much an outlier stylistically within “detroit techno”. Probably the album he did that is most within that framework is this:

Anyway it’s probably worthwhile to check out a lot of other detroit music.
oh man, I love wire to wire's "beatless" tracks. Like The Age Of Eleven, wow! Actually, I'd love a radio station that only played detroit music without any beat

To you the drum patterns of Detroit techno are special, but I'm all about those melodies/harmonies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jm2c ➡️
oh man, I love wire to wire's "beatless" tracks. Like The Age Of Eleven, wow! Actually, I'd love a radio station that only played detroit music without any beat

To you the drum patterns of Detroit techno are special, but I'm all about those melodies/harmonies
To me that album is what I think Derrick May’s music would sound like if he hadn’t stopped making it.
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by martino_ ➡️
His Psyche record on Transmat and BFC records on Fragile and ART were all over incredible, and no I don’t think anyone was making similar stuff at the time.

The BFC record on Fragile in particular is super raw - sample-driven, recorded to tape, roughly edited.
Here’s Carl talking about his workflow & gear on some of these records

Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Cool tune, i‘m with u with the detroit vibe coming from the feeling/melodics bigtime ! The obvious Larkin track „my travels“ came to mind first, Dan Curtin‘s intro from Silicon Dawn album. A contemporary beatless one (produced itb) i really dig, although its nowhere near the way ruffer/direct detroit vibe is Luigi Tozzi‘s Mesopelagic Zone, check it out : https://youtu.be/7MGVmQhRnfU
UK Techno artist Kirk Degiorgio

Gear Maniac

Two part discussion with Francois K and Carl Craig on hardware, outboard, production and mixing

GS gets a shout out in part 2 although whatever CC replies with when Francois asks about GS is edited out
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundbass ➡️
2 of my all time fave tracks. Didn't one or both of these guys go on to form Altern 8?
Yep!
They re released their album a couple of years ago I believe, as well.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheeswolfenstein ➡️
The new melodic techno is more like 90's trance than techno.

Trance and progressive house are more upbeat than techno is, and there's structural differences. Melodic techno tends to be more repetitive with less big changes than trance.

Melodic techno also has more intricate drums.

Melodic techno have a simple drop while prog/trance will have drops that keep the melody going.
The major turnoff with a lot of todays Techno is that it uses methods of arrangement/tension building from EDM.

It sounds to me like the kids that used to like Avicii (RIP), Hardwell etc. now want something more cool and listen to that kind of Techno.
Old 5 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Nice YT's posted enjoying listening to them
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Saw this thread, whipped this together in an hour during a break. Diva does a pretty good Alpha Juno, I have to say
Attached Files

Hoodish.wav (10.87 MB, 826 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by dubguy99 ➡️
Saw this thread, whipped this together in an hour during a break. Diva does a pretty good Alpha Juno, I have to say
Fits in with the Wire to Wire album sound. Very cool. You just playing a chord into a random arpeggiator for this?
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jean Luc Cougar ➡️
Fits in with the Wire to Wire album sound. Very cool. You just playing a chord into a random arpeggiator for this?
That's what I was going for, hehe

Step sequencer into chord memory.
Old 5 days ago
Gear Maniac

Another quick one, Mills ca. Waveform Transmissions

Getting a rough facsimile of the sounds isnt so difficult if you know what youre doing... but what makes the originals special is the sequencing... those guys were masters on the sequencer. They werent just masing buttons, they were composing, working with concepts, trying to make a vision come to life...
Attached Files

Mills-ish.wav (8.22 MB, 730 views)

Old 4 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Techno music as genre you'd find labeled as such in a record store originated in Detroit. However the roots of techno are global.

Techno encompasses a wide range of styles residing within the overlap of house, electro, EBM/industrial, and ambient music. It's tone is 'futuristic'.

Detroit techno is techno music from Detroit. Period. Made by people from or associated with the Detroit Scene or released on Detroit Labels. It's regional association as is say Berlin Techno.

'Detroit Techno' is not a genre, and there is no template for or description of the music that can distinguish it from Techno from other places in the world.

So why are people often into "Detroit Techno" in particular?

Detroit has a strong musical culture, and many producers of techno from Detroit have musical skills outside of techno production. It's a competitive scene where artists are respected for developing their own sound / style. In other words they maintain standards and keep it real. Music that is a pastiche of elements from the works of various artists from Detroit is generally not going to cut it. Still, none of those factors are unique to Detroit. Ultimately it comes down to a kind of cultural karma that gets passed along within the community and being of that community is the only thing that distinguishes it as being "Detroit".

Why do people with no connection to Detroit want to call their music "Detroit Techno"? Because they want to be associated with something that is respected, and they have an imaginary notion of what that is (it's not mournful strings, specific gear, or any particular beat / harmonic/melodic style).
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Here is a new jam, inspired by some of the stuff i heard today, of course seasoned with my own pedigree

Bit more on the uplifting side of techno
Attached Files

TechJam09_1001.mp3 (9.49 MB, 78 views)

Old 4 days ago
Gear Maniac

Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegreengold ➡️
because it's got a vibe, it's got soul, it's futuristic and avantgarde.
and it seems to me, that the producers from Detroit are more down to earth than a lot of the other "I am so super importants" and so their music also sounds to me.
Quote:
Why do people with no connection to Detroit want to call their music "Detroit Techno"? Because they want to be associated with something that is respected, and they have an imaginary notion of what that is (it's not mournful strings, specific gear, or any particular beat / harmonic/melodic style).
Yes that's exactly it. It's fine if you have a connection to the city of Detroit or you actually come from there. But it's okay to be influenced or to make something similar though. But it's best not to label it as Detroit Techno. Just labelling it as Techno is fine.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Moar (just) Techno (share your tracks guys!) again live, no DAW.
Attached Files

TechJam10_1001.mp3 (7.78 MB, 51 views)

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
What does live mean, or not using a DAW have to do with it - programming a sequencer isn't playing live

None of this has anything to do with the fundamental components of the Detroit Techno sound, which is what the thread is meant to be about.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Techno music as genre you'd find labeled as such in a record store originated in Detroit. However the roots of techno are global.

Techno encompasses a wide range of styles residing within the overlap of house, electro, EBM/industrial, and ambient music. It's tone is 'futuristic'.

Detroit techno is techno music from Detroit. Period. Made by people from or associated with the Detroit Scene or released on Detroit Labels. It's regional association as is say Berlin Techno.

'Detroit Techno' is not a genre, and there is no template for or description of the music that can distinguish it from Techno from other places in the world.

Detroit has a strong musical culture, and many producers of techno from Detroit have musical skills outside of techno production. It's a competitive scene where artists are respected for developing their own sound / style. In other words they maintain standards and keep it real. Music that is a pastiche of elements from the works of various artists from Detroit is generally not going to cut it. Still, none of those factors are unique to Detroit. Ultimately it comes down to a kind of cultural karma that gets passed along within the community and being of that community is the only thing that distinguishes it as being "Detroit".

I disagree. To me, detroit techno is a distinctive flavour of techno. I think of it as a subgenre. I cannot explain verbally what makes it its own distinctive style, but I recognize it when I hear it.

I don't think there can ever be absolute consensus about these things. Interpretation of art is a very subjective thing. But thats kind of the beauty of it too, world would be a very boring place otherwise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I disagree. To me, detroit techno is a distinctive flavour of techno. I think of it as a subgenre. I cannot explain verbally what makes it its own distinctive style, but I recognize it when I hear it.
Well, that kind of thinking is exactly what I am trying to say is projecting an imagined notion and not a reality, so I am not surprised we disagree.
Old 4 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s a flavour to me as wel.
Often contains:
Minimal setting, 606/808/909 based, a bass synth, a pad (often arpeggios) and a chordstab/pluck (either sampled or equal chorded) regular use of polyrhythms to get deeper vibes.
Esthetic LoFi, though I prefer the authentic Lofi (where the gear was the limit, not a plugin in Ableton)
Midrange EQ’ed. Chords sampled, or minor and major scales mixed.
Tempo 125-130 on avg. everything goes in 26/32/64 steps.
Typically minimalistic produced, not much modern produced window dressing. (Whooshes, explosions, sidechaining etc.)
It can be studied and repeated by others, just like Beethoven or Mozart
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➡️
What does live mean, or not using a DAW have to do with it - programming a sequencer isn't playing live

None of this has anything to do with the fundamental components of the Detroit Techno sound, which is what the thread is meant to be about.
It gives him more credibility 😀
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentleclockdivid ➡️
It gives him more credibility
nothing to do with that, it’s a live flow, arranged in the moment. Not contemplated till death and mouse dragged in a daw.
It limits you in options as you only have 2 hands and 10 fingers, which influences outcome.
Still a highly amusing thread, do carry on...
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Nice thread. I love the old school techno sound. I think the main element is the mindset of the producer, but hardware sequencers, old school mixers etc add to the vibe. I've been shifting more to using 80s and 90s hardware and trying to jam live without a computer. Here's a jam I did last night trying to capture some old school house vibes:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sWf5...ocialNarcotics
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
Nice thread. I love the old school techno sound. I think the main element is the mindset of the producer, but hardware sequencers, old school mixers etc add to the vibe. I've been shifting more to using 80s and 90s hardware and trying to jam live without a computer. Here's a jam I did last night trying to capture some old school house vibes:
I like this. Right on...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
Very groovy, like it!
📝 Reply