Quantcast
My Next Aquisition - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Next Aquisition
Old 2 weeks ago
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
My Next Aquisition

This post is meant to be somewhat light hearted, but I'm still gonna ask. ..

My rack has an empty space! And I'm sure all of you recognize: THAT SIMPLY WON'T DO. What should I acquire? Here's my rack now...

M-Audio Profire 2626
Presonus Digimax LT
M-Audio Midisport 8x8
Behringer Powerplay Pro XL
Roland U-220

My keyboards are...

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Nektar Impact LX88+
Yamaha DX7S
Korg DW-8000
Korg Prologue 16

The computer has many, many VST synths including Diva, Dune 3 and the Native Instruments and Arturia packages.

I write and record mostly prog.

So there a"hole" in my rack and it's bugging me! What single space toy should I get? I used to own a Matrix 1000, and it'd sure look cool now, but I'm wondering if it'd sound eight hundred bucks better than Diva (I'm doubting it). There's a Korg Wavestation SR on my local Craigslist for $250, but again, wouldn't the Korg Legacy software version be as good (or perhaps better) and cheaper? (Not to mention easier to use.)

What to do? Cut a facade on the table saw, paint it black and screw it in to cover the opening? (Not very much fun.) Buy a single rack space tuner for my Fender bass? Help!
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Godzillarama ➑️
This post is meant to be somewhat light hearted, but I'm still gonna ask. ..

My rack has an empty space! And I'm sure all of you recognize: THAT SIMPLY WON'T DO. What should I acquire? Here's my rack now...

M-Audio Profire 2626
Presonus Digimax LT
M-Audio Midisport 8x8
Behringer Powerplay Pro XL
Roland U-220

My keyboards are...

M-Audio Keystation Pro 88
Nektar Impact LX88+
Yamaha DX7S
Korg DW-8000
Korg Prologue 16

The computer has many, many VST synths including Diva, Dune 3 and the Native Instruments and Arturia packages.

I write and record mostly prog.

So there a"hole" in my rack and it's bugging me! What single space toy should I get? I used to own a Matrix 1000, and it'd sure look cool now, but I'm wondering if it'd sound eight hundred bucks better than Diva (I'm doubting it). There's a Korg Wavestation SR on my local Craigslist for $250, but again, wouldn't the Korg Legacy software version be as good (or perhaps better) and cheaper? (Not to mention easier to use.)

What to do? Cut a facade on the table saw, paint it black and screw it in to cover the opening? (Not very much fun.) Buy a single rack space tuner for my Fender bass? Help!
Looks like you've got I/O covered in the rack. You only have the Roland U-220 synth in the rack.

For synths you have your bases pretty covered:
Many VSTs
FM with the DX7
Hybrid with the DW-8000
VCO poly with the Prologue

I think that the tuner is a pretty good idea since you play bass.

The Wavestation SR would be cool and fill a gap but I believe it has a non-resonant filter where the VST does have a resonant filter (making it win that regard).

I would first think of, and suggest, an effects processor but since you are comparing hardware to software for synth stuff you probably have effects covered in the software environment as well. If you are considering effects then depending on cost you could go with an old Lexicon PCM-41/42 or for less you could get an old Digitech or Zoom 1U rack effects unit.

For a synth I am going to suggest an EMU Proteus 2000. Why?
They can be found for a good price - at least last time I checked
It is multi-timbral - not sure if that matters
Multiple outputs - if that matters
Comes with the Composer ROM - full of good bread and butter stuff
Has 4 total ROM card slots - can add more ROMs
Z-Plane filters - different flavor than your other synths
4 knobs - not sure if matters
Decent effects
It would be a compliment to the Roland rompler - arguably an upgrade

You could look for a Bass Station 1 to rack in there for a monosynth.

Since you don't have a sampler I figure if you do sample it is with the computer and I can't think of a 1U sampler that I would recommend.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by hgigh ➑️
Looks like you've got I/O covered in the rack. You only have the Roland U-220 synth in the rack.

For synths you have your bases pretty covered:
Many VSTs
FM with the DX7
Hybrid with the DW-8000
VCO poly with the Prologue

I think that the tuner is a pretty good idea since you play bass.

The Wavestation SR would be cool and fill a gap but I believe it has a non-resonant filter where the VST does have a resonant filter (making it win that regard).

I would first think of, and suggest, an effects processor but since you are comparing hardware to software for synth stuff you probably have effects covered in the software environment as well. If you are considering effects then depending on cost you could go with an old Lexicon PCM-41/42 or for less you could get an old Digitech or Zoom 1U rack effects unit.

For a synth I am going to suggest an EMU Proteus 2000. Why?
They can be found for a good price - at least last time I checked
It is multi-timbral - not sure if that matters
Multiple outputs - if that matters
Comes with the Composer ROM - full of good bread and butter stuff
Has 4 total ROM card slots - can add more ROMs
Z-Plane filters - different flavor than your other synths
4 knobs - not sure if matters
Decent effects
It would be a compliment to the Roland rompler - arguably an upgrade

You could look for a Bass Station 1 to rack in there for a monosynth.

Since you don't have a sampler I figure if you do sample it is with the computer and I can't think of a 1U sampler that I would recommend.
Great observations, thank you very much. The Proteus 2000 is a very intriguing idea. In general your observations are spot-on. You are correct I handle sampling with plugins. TAL Sampler is a brilliant plugin and that's what I use. And I didn't know that fact about the Wavestation filter, I'm glad to know that. Thanks again.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Great observations, thank you very much. The Proteus 2000 is a very intriguing idea. In general your observations are spot-on. You are correct I handle sampling with plugins. TAL Sampler is a brilliant plugin and that's what I use. And I didn't know that fact about the Wavestation filter, I'm glad to know that. Thanks again.
The Proteus 2000 series synths also have a freeware editor available called Prodatum, which really makes getting at that incredibly deep sound engine much more fun than the two line LCD on the units. They come in different flavors too. Xtreme Lead, Mo Phatt, Vintage Keys, etc.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Not many 1u rack synths that I personally feel are that awesome. Instead I think I’d consider an effects processor like an MPX-1 or Eclipse.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Does anyone sell VU meters in this size? Or maybe an EQ or the like with a spectrum analyser display.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
In KC?

I tend to agree that there are more practical 1 space effect units than synths.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I was just about to recommend the Yamaha FS1R since you have one rack space available, but then I saw what they're going for (around $2k) and my jaw hit the floor. Scratch that idea.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Nut

NavePoint 1U Blank Rack Mount Panel Spacer for 19-Inch Server Network Rack Enclosure Or Cabinet Black https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0060RUUX4...VFFKJSFW2KCW4J
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Dude. I don't know what that is.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Cut a facade on the table saw, paint it black and screw it in to cover the opening?
FYI you can buy a 'blank' metal cover, for peanuts.

But my vote = TX81Z ... Still very affordable and has a special character.

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
TX81Z is a 1U bargain
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
No problem!

Quote:
Originally Posted by plaid_emu ➑️
The Proteus 2000 series synths also have a freeware editor available called Prodatum, which really makes getting at that incredibly deep sound engine much more fun than the two line LCD on the units. They come in different flavors too. Xtreme Lead, Mo Phatt, Vintage Keys, etc.
That was something that I forgot, Prodatum! Good call.

The reason that I suggested the Proteus-2000 (which I have) is that it has more ROM slots and outputs than the Xtreme Lead (I have have an XL-1) or Mo-Phatt (I have an MP-1) unless you get the "turbo" versions (which I don't have).

I chose to not add the ROMs to my Proteus 2000 and just rack the XL-1 and MP-1 under the P2K because I like the direct control and direct outs of the modules and also:

Old 1 week ago
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Korg TR-Rack. Nothing else sounds like it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➑️
FYI you can buy a 'blank' metal cover, for peanuts.

But my vote = TX81Z ... Still very affordable and has a special character.

[videos snipped]
Quote:
Originally Posted by usedtohaveajuno ➑️
TX81Z is a 1U bargain
I have a TX81Z in my rack as well. I didn't suggest it due to FM being covered by the DX7, although the TX81Z is different with its 4 operator structure and more waverforms. Great suggestion for an affordable 1U synth!
πŸ“ Reply