Diva is A
120 Votes - 60.00%
Diva is B
80 Votes - 40.00%
Voters: 200. You may not vote on this poll

Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I've got the SEM SVF right here on my Pro3. And I'm familiar enough with OB6. Like I said as far as I know Diva doesn't have a SEM type SVF with notch, just a standard multimode filter.

And grow the F up, you sound like a 5yo.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
I've got the SEM SVF right here on my Pro3. And I'm familiar enough with OB6. Like I said as far as I know Diva doesn't have a SEM type SVF with notch, just a standard multimode filter.

And grow the F up, you sound like a 5yo.
organic or Ai..?
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
So TRSC which is which?
Old 1 week ago
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
And let's stay calm everyone, it's only a quiz and as stated before, we may be interested no member of listening public is.

Last edited by Pip; 1 week ago at 01:56 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Cool test, thank you for doing it. Great to hear matched patches as good as this. FWIW I preferred A.

A few issues, as well as what @ Simonator pointed out:
1. The voice stealing is a giveaway.
2. Can the "slop" be matched better somehow?
3. The high end was noticeable different, I assume that's more than simply trying to match the cut-off?

The only way to account for subjectivity and people not even listening to it is to set it up in a blind ABX online listening tool with no perceptual coding (i.e. do it in WAV not YT). But that is obviously a total PITA to set up, and no-one cares that much anyway
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
... as far as I know Diva doesn't have a SEM type SVF with notch, just a standard multimode filter.
Diva's Uhbie filter has what it calls band reject, which is basically the notch response on the SEM.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Interesting. Well I guess it's about time I try the demo and see what all the fuss is about!
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
I liked A more so I voted DIVA=B.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Starting to really blow my mind that Diva is an 8+ year old piece of software now. It would still be impressive if released today.

I think Diva is A and the OB6 is B, agreeing with those who have said B sounds a little fatter and looser. But it's close enough I won't be surprised if I'm wrong.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
A. OB6
B. Diva
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'll fall into the camp of having owned both (sold Diva a few months after picking up my OB-6), and can't tell the difference in this test. Likely, it's the timbres that were selected. With these synths next to each other, the differences are clear and obvious though. They're both great synths, but the headroom I get out of the OB-6 was unmatched with Diva, as were the timbres, tones, effects, and most sonic bits. Would be nice to think, that you could match all the timbres and capabilities of a $2400 desktop unit, with a $180 AU Instrument. Fun topic though!

Joe

OB-6 BKMs- https://www.dropbox.com/s/2s063vn2p9...01.0.docx?dl=0
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
a = diva
Gear Head

I have an OB-6 and Diva and I'm struggling with this.

Going for Diva being Synth B
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by into the white ➡️
Starting to really blow my mind that Diva is an 8+ year old piece of software now. It would still be impressive if released today.
More impressive is that it isn't even a OB emulation. Surely if they did a bang up to date specific modelling with the vintage knob and everything it would be identical.
Lives for gear
They both sound like real analog.

I'm sure that Diva has a lot more sound palette than OB8, but the question is OB8 can do something Diva can't?
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
This is always the issue: these are just for fun and would never be conclusive, as I’ve yet to come across a synth comparison that’s scientifically sound. To be fair, this isn’t positioned as such. However, people tend to think it is and pull it out years later as if it were meaningful in any other context or extending beyond the sounds engineered and compared to be as close as possible to one another.

It's also an interesting sales tactic since, again, the sounds are engineered to be as close as possible, rather than being "best" or unique.
While it may not be fully scientific, it still shows that they are extremely similar to each other. That goes against the argument that some have that the two shouldn't even be close and that the analog hardware is clearly noticeable.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnionJackGibbon ➡️
More impressive is that it isn't even a OB emulation. Surely if they did a bang up to date specific modelling with the vintage knob and everything it would be identical.
From what I've read over the years, Repro5 is ~90% the same as a Prophet 5 rev3.

If someone like U-He had created an OB-6 emulation that was ~90% the same, it would've saved me $2300. But, unfortunately, Diva is very different overall from the overall of the OB-6, so there's still very much a reason if you want the sound of the OB-6 (and, of course, the hardware itself).

That said, Diva intentionally can sound a lot like a lot of synths as that's the whole point, especially if you then go to that other synth and work both together toward making the same sounds - not just an OB this or that.

I find I don't use Diva anymore, preferring synths that are specific rather than general: bx_oberhausen, Polysix, Bassline 101, The Legend, SE-02, OB-6, etc. It was the first softsynth I bought, so I have a spot for it in my heart and probably couldn't bring myself to sell it, even if I end up uninstalling it.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So... Diva covers Korg, Moog, Oberheim and Roland sounds.. extremely well. Stuff that the OB-6 can't touch. Diva also (on some tones, some timbres) can come super close (perhaps indistinguishable?) for some patches.. to what the OB-6 can kick out. Terrific!! But there is a ton of capability and timbres that the OB has, that Diva cannot cover... and vice versa. So .. here we are. Diva != OB-6
Gear Guru

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
it is just for fun really because the fact is no one really has the stomach for proper scientific tests which require a minimum of 10 rounds where the user should get 9/10 to prove to a high confidence level (or 12 out of 15)...to genuinely know if someone can tell a difference it is quite arduous.

I think tests like this do help people recognise that the best software can stand toe to toe with hardware, even if there are small differences. The interesting thing is people assume the one they like better is hardware and that's not always the case. The previous test I did a short 'track test' and because Diva had more bass and sounded better in the rough mix everyone picked it as hardware. There are I think generalised differences between analogue hardware and emulations but its a moving target depending on the sound which makes it very difficult to repeatedly get it right, and small cues can confuse or catch us out...I should add, I don't use any trickery with my tests I just aim to get them as close as possible. People create the trickery in their head and subconsciously project and hear things enough without any outside manipulation necessary!
I thought B sounded "moar analogue" so I voted that Diva is A. Regardless it's still my favourite softsynth.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I am not educated enough about either to make a vote, and I only listened once.

I always felt the bass on B was way more bouncy and musical after each sound. Like wow, that sounds very polished and punchy to me.

Might listen again after the results.

Last edited by XHipHop; 1 week ago at 08:41 PM..
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Doubling down on my assessment here, B is OB6. Those VCOs are like nothing else on the market right now - even listening to the raw sawtooth wave, filter wide open vs a Prophet 6 you can hear their unique sort of "zippery" sound. Synth A, meanwhile, has that flat sort of plasticky graininess that I associate with Diva.

Remember also this is a carefully curated selection of patches designed to make the 2 sound as close as possible. Go listen to INHALT's OB6 demo and try to recreate some of those sounds in Diva - it's a tall order (ask me how I know )

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy ➡️
1. The voice stealing is a giveaway.
The voice stealing doesn't give away anything, Diva can easily be configured to use only 6 voices
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
So TRSC which is which?
I'm not sure, but A is clearly a more polished sound-much cleaner than B, and seemingly more reverb than B. I should add that I listened through desktop speakers with no enhancements of any frequencies- flat.

Like I said, it's irrelevant to me- I got my OB-6 and I can make it sound the way I need it to sound with external processing. I use software too but owning an OB is nice, and I'm more than happy with the sound and craftsmanship. Lifetime synth.

And Exlax, pipe down hero You don't own either so your opinion is null and void.

Last edited by TRSC; 1 week ago at 08:59 PM..
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicEagle ➡️
While it may not be fully scientific, it still shows that they are extremely similar to each other. That goes against the argument that some have that the two shouldn't even be close and that the analog hardware is clearly noticeable.
That would not be the logical conclusion, no. That may or may not be what you feel, and you may assign a different meaning to that than the next person, but that's not what this is showing.

What this is showing is that Diva and OB-6 can be made to sound similar when making these sounds. And, even then, given that this isn't actually research, one cannot draw any conclusions from the poll, either, because it's a limited, subjective measure.

What you do with that knowledge will differ per person.

I think it's fun and a smart sales tactic, and I'll personally go on probably not using Diva and enjoying the hell out of my OB-6.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Agreed. I think the previous poster missed that the point you are making is is nuanced, not absolute. They have their own bias, which is fine but there is a tendency to be dogmatic as a result.
Quote:
Originally Posted by locust_tree ➡️
The voice stealing doesn't give away anything, Diva can easily be configured to use only 6 voices
It does though. First, it's one of three things. Secondly, if it "can easily be configured" why wasn't it done on both examples? Which echoes my question about the filter cut-off.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
That would not be the logical conclusion, no. That may or may not be what you feel, and you may assign a different meaning to that than the next person, but that's not what this is showing.
It has nothing to do with what I feel, that's the data. It isn't overwhelmingly clear which is which, otherwise the data would show that. If you're saying that all this shows is that for these particular patches, they are similar then that is moving the goal posts. Previously, some people were saying there was a clear and easy to hear difference between analog and digital. They were not saying "...except for some patches, where it's very difficult to tell the difference.".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against analog or anything. I own an OB-6. But I also fully concede that digital has come a long way and that "it just sounds completely different" is no longer a reason to justify analog hardware. There may be other reasons (I hope so, I have a lot of analog hardware!), but that isn't really one of them anymore.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
OMG no golden ears in this thread?

Where are you "correct transient worshipers", and "inaudible detail listeners", and "my converter is bigger than yours" when you so needed. Where are you all?
Lives for gear

Quote:
It has nothing to do with what I feel, that's the data. It isn't overwhelmingly clear which is which, otherwise the data would show that. If you're saying that all this shows is that for these particular patches, they are similar then that is moving the goal posts. Previously, some people were saying there was a clear and easy to hear difference between analog and digital. They were not saying "...except for some patches, where it's very difficult to tell the difference.".

Don't get me wrong, I'm not against analog or anything. I own an OB-6. But I also fully concede that digital has come a long way and that "it just sounds completely different" is no longer a reason to justify analog hardware. There may be other reasons (I hope so, I have a lot of analog hardware!), but that isn't really one of them anymore.
Well. All I can say is what I've said. This isn't science - nor was it ever trying to be. This is (apparently successful) marketing and a bit of fun. No goal posts have been moved - it's just that not everyone understands the field being played on.

I'm straight out telling you: any conclusions drawn from this comparison are totally subjective in nature, as it was just two sets of (good) sounds intentionally made to sound the same, offered up to a small subset of a subset of a self-selected population in small numbers, and presented in ways that could, in themselves, bias the results. Etc. There's no objective "proof" or "evidence" or anything, other than....

I think we can all congratulate Swan808 for their sound design skills. I'm interested in hearing more from the set
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by XHipHop ➡️
I always felt the bass on B was way more bouncy and musical
There you go, one man's bouncy and musical is another man's boomy.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by locust_tree ➡️
Remember also this is a carefully curated selection of patches designed to make the 2 sound as close as possible.
You don't say.
📝 Reply