View Poll Results: Which is Diva?
Diva is A
124 Votes - 60.78%
Diva is B
80 Votes - 39.22%
Voters: 204. You may not vote on this poll

Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

No one can tell the difference in a mix and no one will care in this era of listening to music on the phone.
Old 2 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
The poll is almost 50/50, love diva want an obie.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
I think Diva is B, both do sound really good though.
Old 2 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
the funny thing is if you put first synth b and then A in the demo we might all make a different vote.. as the order of listening influence what our ears perceive a lot when comparing sounds
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri ➡️
No one can tell the difference in a mix and no one will care in this era of listening to music on the phone.
there is difference, but to tell wich is wich ..i guess someone who own the ob6 or that know well diva can spot it there is enought difference in the sound and emotional feel
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chri ➡️
It would be fair to say that many people cannot tell nor care... But some people can tell and some people listen on decent monitoring. Even when listening 'on a phone' some people do that with high-end headphones.
If some people can hear the difference in this example (Youtube 1080p = 192 kbps audio) then listeners can certainly hear it even on Spotify (320 kbps for a paid subscriber).

And even when someone 'cannot tell' explicitly, they might have a subconscious extra-liking to one sound rather than another which was very similar.

For sure, if you were making loud trancey pop, then it doesn't make much difference one way or another... But if you are trying to push the envelope of high quality production, then you'll be striving for every possible edge in quality, no matter how small.
I can see how both of those synths could be useful... 'A' if you want clinical precision and/or a cleaner sound to sit more easily in a denser mix, or 'B' of you want that extra girth and/or the magic to reach inside your chest and tickle your heart strings.

But I agree the sounds are largely similar and that Diva sounds really, really good!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pip ➡️
The poll is almost 50/50, love diva want an obie.
Hah, yeah, a forum full of gear heads and results are the same as a coin flip. Don't worry, the golden ears crew will show up after the poll is closed and the answers are posted to tell us they totally knew which was which
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
I would be pleasantly shocked if diva wasn’t A
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
Hah, yeah, a forum full of gear heads and results are the same as a coin flip. Don't worry, the golden ears crew will show up after the poll is closed and the answers are posted to tell us they totally knew which was which
We had this come up before, in Swan's similar test against the Boog.
People were saying 'oh it's 50/50 so this result itself intrinsically proves there's no difference'... But I think that's a fallacy.
I expect the vast majority of people here on GS are amateur hobbyists (which is fine).

To give a parallel, it would be like surveying some random punters in a pub and asking them which was the €20 wine and which was the €2000 wine...... Just because they cannot tell the difference any better than a random coin toss, that does not prove that no one can and that the €2000 wine has no different quality than the €20 wine: It only proves that some random punters in a pub could not tell (despite the fact they enthusiastically drink lots of wine every week).

Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➡️
We had this come up before, in Swan's similar test against the Boog.
People were saying 'oh it's 50/50 so this result itself intrinsically proves there's no difference'... But I think that's a fallacy.
I expect the vast majority of people here on GS are amateur hobbyists (which is fine).

To give a parallel, it would be like surveying some random punters in a pub and asking them which was the €20 wine and which was the €2000 wine...... Just because they cannot tell the difference any better than a random coin toss, that does not prove that no one can and that the €2000 wine has no different quality than the €20 wine: It only proves that some random punters in a pub could not tell (despite the fact they enthusiastically drink lots of wine every week).

I've gotten to the point that I can tell a $40 bottle of red from a $5 bottle. I have much less faith in my ability to answer this quiz correctly.

I think I picked B is Diva because of the voice stealing and more low pass filtered sound. I'm probably wrong, and I'm perfectly fine with that
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
the answer is definitely you need both or either of them
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I think I picked B is Diva because of the voice stealing and more low pass filtered sound. I'm probably wrong, and I'm perfectly fine with that
On a fair few of the patches I couldn't hear any difference whatsoever.

For me, the very first patch had much more weight in synth B... But the real 'give' was the chorused sound which is around 2/3 of the way through; when synth A played I thought 'this is lovely', but then when B played it took it to a whole new level of richness - it sounded wider and more fluid, but also had an indescribable magic-factor to it.

I did prefer A on a few sounds though. Notably one slightly buzzy bass... The highs on B were a bit more smushed and out of focus, whereas A had a more defined bite to it.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Diva equals A...... maybe.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred_Abstract ➡️
the funny thing is if you put first synth b and then A in the demo we might all make a different vote.. as the order of listening influence what our ears perceive a lot when comparing sounds
This is always the issue: these are just for fun and would never be conclusive, as I’ve yet to come across a synth comparison that’s scientifically sound. To be fair, this isn’t positioned as such. However, people tend to think it is and pull it out years later as if it were meaningful in any other context or extending beyond the sounds engineered and compared to be as close as possible to one another.

It's also an interesting sales tactic since, again, the sounds are engineered to be as close as possible, rather than being "best" or unique.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Maniac

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
If B isn’t the OB6 I’ll eat my hat. You can hear that signature “looseness” in the oscillators, sort of a sizzling / searing quality.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
No expert, but voting Diva A, Ob as B. B sounds just a bit more out of control and organic.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melving ➡️
No expert, but voting Diva A, Ob as B. B sounds just a bit more out of control and organic.
Just keep in mind that you can get into the guts of Diva and do some fun things to "loosen" it up. And if you don't use the vintage function of the OB-6, it's actually fairly tight and controlled. Which is why you can push things toward the middle so it's harder to tell apart if you engineer it that way.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
I didn't even listen and know A is Diva.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Hah, yeah, a forum full of gear heads and results are the same as a coin flip.
So true, and it's not just about telling the difference between two synths, but the difference between analog and digital!
Old 2 weeks ago
Pip
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
What is interesting and it's a point I make in the studio, your 300 listeners won't know, won't care, so can we also concentrate and songwriting, structure et al.
Old 2 weeks ago
TJe
Lives for gear

Yesterday I voted Diva B when I was listening on crappy speakers,but today on studio monitors i think Diva might be A.I can't tell for sure honestly.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I voted Diva as A. I've got an OB6 sat right here and it doesn't really sound like either A or B!
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
i don't think what you are listening on (so long as not phone but who would do that anyway?) will make the difference to your choice, this is so close it's ridiculous and the folk who know the synths should get it right imo

none are better for my ears @ least , good times
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
we have certainly come a long way from the days of generator that is for sure
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by vitocorleone123 ➡️
Just keep in mind that you can get into the guts of Diva and do some fun things to "loosen" it up. And if you don't use the vintage function of the OB-6, it's actually fairly tight and controlled. Which is why you can push things toward the middle so it's harder to tell apart if you engineer it that way.
I was gonna say the the ob6 has lots of options for getting some vintage sound which is what gives it its charm, including the original detune, the new vintage mode, and simply playing around with clearing the tuning tables and intentionally not calibrating too often, etc. The first thing I thought of with this A B comparison is that the sounds are perfectly in tune and many times I don’t use my ob6 that way.

You’ve piqued my interest with what diva can do to loosen things up. How much control can you get over per voice variances?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vertflyer ➡️
I was gonna say the the ob6 has lots of options for getting some vintage sound which is what gives it its charm, including the original detune, the new vintage mode, and simply playing around with clearing the tuning tables and intentionally not calibrating too often, etc. The first thing I thought of with this A B comparison is that the sounds are perfectly in tune and many times I don’t use my ob6 that way.

You’ve piqued my interest with what diva can do to loosen things up. How much control can you get over per voice variances?
Goto page 46
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
I voted Diva as A. I've got an OB6 sat right here and it doesn't really sound like either A or B!
Same here. I wanted to say the same thing but wasn’t sure of how. I have an ob6 and rarely use such pristine sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by adydub ➡️
That’s awesome! I think I’m tempted to grab a copy of diva. But it could lead me down the path of needing a new computer.
Old 2 weeks ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I'd also say Diva is A but they both sound so very close. One thing to note though is that none of the examples seem to showcase the OB6's SEM SVF (with notch) which is imo the killer sound of the OB6. This could be understandable as Diva doesn't have a SVF AFAIK. Just something to point out, this is a great blind test on some bread & butter sounds but not the ultimate showdown. I don't own either products btw, but I am familiar with the SEM SVF.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by xanax ➡️
I'd also say Diva is A but they both sound so very close. One thing to note though is that none of the examples seem to showcase the OB6's SEM SVF (with notch) which is imo the killer sound of the OB6. This could be understandable as Diva doesn't have a SVF AFAIK. Just something to point out, this is a great blind test on some bread & butter sounds but not the ultimate showdown. I don't own either products btw, but I am familiar with the SEM SVF.
LOL. I'm not sure whether to laugh or face-palm it...You don't even own an OB-6 or Diva, yet you just had to get your useless 2 cents in

You're a clown.

I own an OB-6 and I can tell everyone here- until Diva gets released in a hardware version (which will be never), OB-6 always wins this contest. The minor sound differences are irrelevant in any practical sense.
📝 Reply