Quantcast
HELP! Please help me overcome my GAS for wavetable hardware. Can I achieve similar results with VST? - Page 10 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HELP! Please help me overcome my GAS for wavetable hardware. Can I achieve similar results with VST?
Old 30th November 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Simonator ➡️
I've just placed an order for the Waldorf M... From Thomann and won't come for several months, but I'm still stoked.

I got a Blofeld last weekend.

I'm also ordering a 2600 Grey Meanie today.

Feeling quite <strike>sIutty</strike> spacey right now.
Hey so happy for you! well done.

What can I say, you are going to love the M. It is such a great sounding synth, you will not be disappointed. I am using only the M on this track I am working on, really getting familiar with its sound, each day it impresses me more
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
This is just plain and simply not true. Have a look at any decent VST in an audio spectrum analyzer and it’s clear there’s no roll off. What you’re probably noticing is lack of noise. If anything, something like RePro can sound brighter than a Prophet 5 because Urs didn’t set the top of the cutoff that’s as closed as the original, so you can get a total open filter sound without additional modulation. (They put a little dot where it matches the original.)
Interesting!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
If anything, something like RePro can sound brighter than a Prophet 5 because Urs didn’t set the top of the cutoff that’s as closed as the original, so you can get a total open filter sound without additional modulation.
Urs has mentioned that Repro cut off only goes to about half of the Prophet 5s cutoff (35khz vs 70khz) so it's other way around when applying modulation.

Last edited by Acid Mitch; 30th November 2021 at 11:04 AM..
Old 1st December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Acid Mitch ➡️
Urs has mentioned that Repro cut off only goes to about half of the Prophet 5s cutoff (35khz vs 70khz) so it's other way around when applying modulation.
You’re talking about something else. At full tweak the original Prophet 5’s filter isn’t full open. On RePro, it is. Whatever happens after 20 kHz is only a concern for dogs and cats.

From the Repro manual:

Quote:
The cutoff is significantly lower – doesn’t reach max. unless modulated upwards e.g. by the filter envelope.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
Interesting!
I wonder if what you’re talking about is partially about aliasing in some older digital synths that is absent from modern software equivalents. I used to have a Nord Lead 2x and DiscoDSP came out with an improved filter emulation and I gave the two a good comparison. At first I thought, “no, it’s not right. Lacks the bite of the 2x.” I mentioned it and the developer replied and suggested I turn off antialiasing, and there is was. I could copy my 2x patches to a point where the difference was negligible.

Anyway, you know me. I’m definitely not saying that there’s no reason to own hardware synths, especially ones with analog components that impart a lot of character. Circumstances have made a Waldorf M out of my immediate reach, but boy oh boy do I want one. Almost to the point where I’m considering selling my Prophet 12 and Peak to get one, or even my 002. We’ll see. Hopefully my current setbacks will turn around and I’ll be able to just sell the Peak and keep the rest. Mostly because I’m out of inputs and space for another synth, or I’d just add the M.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Just a note to the original question of this thread, IK Multimedia just came out with a new version of their Syntronik software that includes the Microwave 1. The previous version had a PPG Wave. It’s a ROMpler, but the filters are nicely modeled. If you’re looking for bread’n butter classic wavetable sounds on the cheap and don’t care about full synthesis options, it’s a good deal.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Circumstances have made a Waldorf M out of my immediate reach, but boy oh boy do I want one. Almost to the point where I’m considering selling my Prophet 12 and Peak to get one, or even my 002. We’ll see. Hopefully my current setbacks will turn around and I’ll be able to just sell the Peak and keep the rest. Mostly because I’m out of inputs and space for another synth, or I’d just add the M.

Robomark29
3 weeks ago
When I hear the Iridium, I think, “Vital sounds as good and is free.” When I hear the M, I think, “what can I sell to make that mine?”

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
You’re talking about something else. At full tweak the original Prophet 5’s filter isn’t full open. On RePro, it is.

:
That's interesting. So if you have Repro already at max cutoff the modulation won't push it further like the Prophet?

Quote:
Whatever happens after 20 kHz is only a concern for dogs and cats.
And people who like to pitch down their 96khz samples. Sounds great with metallic type sounds.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wonder if what you’re talking about is partially about aliasing in some older digital synths that is absent from modern software equivalents. I used to have a Nord Lead 2x and DiscoDSP came out with an improved filter emulation and I gave the two a good comparison. At first I thought, “no, it’s not right. Lacks the bite of the 2x.” I mentioned it and the developer replied and suggested I turn off antialiasing, and there is was. I could copy my 2x patches to a point where the difference was negligible.

Anyway, you know me. I’m definitely not saying that there’s no reason to own hardware synths, especially ones with analog components that impart a lot of character. Circumstances have made a Waldorf M out of my immediate reach, but boy oh boy do I want one. Almost to the point where I’m considering selling my Prophet 12 and Peak to get one, or even my 002. We’ll see. Hopefully my current setbacks will turn around and I’ll be able to just sell the Peak and keep the rest. Mostly because I’m out of inputs and space for another synth, or I’d just add the M.
Just give it time; the M will be out there waiting for you. Don't sell the 12! The Peak I could see going.

And yes, honestly, there's little I find wanting in current VSTs. You're probably right about the anti-aliasing, it's why both Virus TI and the Arturia stuff has a "darker" sound, when the online wars against digital were all about aliasing in frequencies that only mattered to bats.

I bet it's part of why the Nord Modular G2 got a chillier reception than the original; Clavia was really getting into FM when the G2 came out, so precision mattered more at that point than timbral analogue emulation.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Robomark29
3 weeks ago
When I hear the Iridium, I think, “Vital sounds as good and is free.” When I hear the M, I think, “what can I sell to make that mine?”

I’m unclear as to why you’re quoting me… to show that I’ve not changed my mind?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I’m unclear as to why you’re quoting me… to show that I’ve not changed my mind?
Did you over-look the quote I included from the Youtube commenter?

... I was just pointing out that you, the Youtuber and I all had the exact same response on hearing the M; 'I need this synth in my life, so what shall I sell in order to make it happen!'

This thought process caused me to have a major redesign of my studio... I've stripped it down and simplified things.... And now I've got a clean piece of desk real estate awaiting my pre-ordered M!
Old 2nd December 2021 | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

... I was just pointing out that you, the Youtuber and I all had the exact same response on hearing the M; 'I need this synth in my life, so what shall I sell in order to make it happen!'

This thought process caused me to have a major redesign of my studio... I've stripped it down and simplified things.... And now I've got a clean piece of desk real estate awaiting my pre-ordered M!
Stripped down! A weakness!

(I’m not quite there.)
Lives for gear

Quote:
Stripped
Great. Now I feel the need to go listen to Depeche Mode….

Hehehe.
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Oh wait… that YouTube commentator… WAS ME!

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Oh wait… that YouTube commentator… WAS ME!

No way!

What a freak coincidence!

Ha!
Old 13th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I can hardly believe it, but I found a solitary M in stock at my local retailer. I took receipt of it today. Sounds incredible. Absolutely stocked.

Now pretty set for Wavetable synthesis... M + Blofeld + Hive + Vital + Serum.
Old 13th December 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I can hardly believe it, but I found a solitary M in stock at my local retailer. I took receipt of it today. Sounds incredible. Absolutely stocked.

Enjoy!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

Happy Holidays, Simon! Enjoy all your cool stuff!
Old 3 weeks ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by realtrance ➡️
Happy Holidays, Simon! Enjoy all your cool stuff!
Thanks! Same to you!
📝 Reply