The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SP-404 MKII
Old 14th January 2022 | Show parent
What's up!

I dumped a bunch of thoughts on the 404 mk2 on MPC-Forums over the last couple months, and I've been kicking around the idea for a few weeks about putting together a free guide book for the SP-404 mk2, and spent the last week working on getting it kicked off. I've gotten up to version 0.9 today, and even if I still have a long ways to go, it's at least starting to take shape.

Not going to lie, the current state of the guide is absolutely a work in progress right now, but figured that there's enough in place to get some feedback, and see what folks might like to see getting written up first.

Just remember, work in progress :D

NearTao Blog: https://neartao.com
NearTao Guidebook URL: https://neartao.wordpress.com/nearta...the-sp404-mk2/
SP-Forums URL: https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27232
Discord Server URL: https://discord.gg/qMuSpuxC4n
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by NearTao ➡️
What's up!

I dumped a bunch of thoughts on the 404 mk2 on MPC-Forums over the last couple months, and I've been kicking around the idea for a few weeks about putting together a free guide book for the SP-404 mk2, and spent the last week working on getting it kicked off. I've gotten up to version 0.9 today, and even if I still have a long ways to go, it's at least starting to take shape.

Not going to lie, the current state of the guide is absolutely a work in progress right now, but figured that there's enough in place to get some feedback, and see what folks might like to see getting written up first.

Just remember, work in progress :D

NearTao Blog: https://neartao.com
NearTao Guidebook URL: https://neartao.wordpress.com/nearta...the-sp404-mk2/
SP-Forums URL: https://sp-forums.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=27232
Discord Server URL: https://discord.gg/qMuSpuxC4n
Cool! I applaud the effort and have downloaded the current version. I’m tempted to get a 404-mk2 when they eventually become a stocked item. It would be a very different approach for me which may be fun to explore. Especially given the portable nature of the device. I hope you get a lot of productive feedback from folks that are receiving their 404-mk2s and digging into them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab ➡️
Cool! I applaud the effort and have downloaded the current version. I’m tempted to get a 404-mk2 when they eventually become a stocked item. It would be a very different approach for me which may be fun to explore. Especially given the portable nature of the device. I hope you get a lot of productive feedback from folks that are receiving their 404-mk2s and digging into them.

So far I haven't gotten a lot of feedback, but I've only been making the guide publicly available for about a week now, and I know a lot of people are still waiting to receive their mk2.

Biggest ask so far has been to start getting some workflows documented, should be able to do that soon.
Old 14th January 2022
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Still no parameter locks which is a main dealbreaker.
Old 15th January 2022
Gear Nut
Just got a notification that my SP is on the way. I ordered mine late in the evening of the release date from Thomann. Their guess was that they can ship it late january. So it's a happy surprise and I can't wait to get my hands on the unit.

By specs, it is more than welcome to compliment my sound and workflow. I hope it manages to deliver!
Old 16th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
? To be clear: the Circuit Rhythm can play 8 mono samples at the same time, one per track . With the sample flipping it's actually quite a lot.

The mono samples and limited RAM means the Circuit Rhythm is really geared towards sequencing short sounds, like drums hits, more than anything else however.

The 404's ample RAM, stereo sampling, and time stretch makes it good at handling full loops and stems, or entire songs, if not more. That's why you can DJ and remix on it, or use it as kind of audio recorder.

They're on opposite end of the spectrum. Circuit is about step sequencing first and foremost. Grab some little sounds, sequence them, then resample them to resequence them in a new way. The 404 is about phrase sampling and resampling through the powerful effects processor, with a little utility sequencer on the side.

I'm guessing the Circuit is easier overall just because it's a shallower device, I have one don't take long to learn and is a lot of fun, but the basics of the 404 look pretty simple to me, can worry about it's deeper features later. Just have to understand that the 404 works with audio data more than MIDI.
It's still a monophonic sampler, you really can't play 8 notes simultaneously unless it's recorded in the sequencer one sample at a time. At least on the MK2, hitting 8 pads will play 8 pads.
Old 16th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILL GREEN ➡️
It's still a monophonic sampler, you really can't play 8 notes simultaneously unless it's recorded in the sequencer one sample at a time. At least on the MK2, hitting 8 pads will play 8 pads.
You can play them like that in the Drum Pads view:

Hitting the 8 pads will play the 8 pads.
Old 17th January 2022
Woof… this was some serious work to get the guide updated to 0.10. Update available at the usual link NearTao's Guide to the SP-404 mk2

I got a bit obsessive over the last few days, and read just about every single post in the Elektronauts' SP-404 mk2 thread as well as the Gearspace SP-404 mk2 thread. This is well over 4000 posts to read through, and took me the better part of four or five days to complete. Lot's of good questions, and lots of good answers, but I'm not sure I am up for doing a repeat of that any time soon.

All of this reading has resulted in a lot of really good questions for the mk2 (around twelve pages worth), and I have as much as possible been adding in answers either from forum members or just doing my own research. I would have gotten this out last night, but I figured it was worth spending the time to better organize the questions.
Old 17th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I’m envious of you folks with a new MK2, I’m running the OG silver over here and if a had a visible wave form to edit I’d be tickled to bits. One of my favorite things to do was study some chord books for piano being I’m not much of player but I try, and practice then record into the SP404. Id end up with 16 chords that worked nicely together and then trigger those chords over some drum grooves.

I never focused on the 404 being a do it all machine, more of a simple sampler and sound collection box with effects that I’d use to trigger sounds over some multitracked parts. I’d also run synths into the inputs and use the effects in real-time, along with recording full finished produced tracks into it to use the compressor, vinyl sim, or the DJ type of options. It’s a great machine, for the price of the new machine i think it’s a steal honestly. I recently picked up a 1010 Blackbox and am a bit blow away by it, I’m now running my synths through the 404 into the Blackbox, no midi, just capturing audio. Loving the focused workflow, simple but goes a long way.
Old 17th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Woof… this was some serious work to get the guide updated to 0.10. Update available at the usual link NearTao's Guide to the SP-404 mk2

I got a bit obsessive over the last few days, and read just about every single post in the Elektronauts' SP-404 mk2 thread as well as the Gearspace SP-404 mk2 thread. This is well over 4000 posts to read through, and took me the better part of four or five days to complete. Lot's of good questions, and lots of good answers, but I'm not sure I am up for doing a repeat of that any time soon.

All of this reading has resulted in a lot of really good questions for the mk2 (around twelve pages worth), and I have as much as possible been adding in answers either from forum members or just doing my own research. I would have gotten this out last night, but I figured it was worth spending the time to better organize the questions.
Thanks for the hard work.
Old 18th January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vromber ➡️
Still no parameter locks which is a main dealbreaker.
if you require param locks - get an electron
Attached Thumbnails
Roland SP-404 MKII-5ca11b_b280a392ed894a77a57a6faa40c3fddd_mv2.jpg  
Old 19th January 2022
Gear Addict

🎧 15 years
hey all. does anyone know if you can quantise midi after you've recorded it in?
would also be great to be able to nudge notes back and forth.
Old 19th January 2022 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by benjiboko ➡️
hey all. does anyone know if you can quantise midi after you've recorded it in?
would also be great to be able to nudge notes back and forth.
I have not figured out how to quantize once you have recorded, or how to nudge notes after they have been recorded. The workflow appears to be erase the bad notes and start over.

Sure it seems like a pain, but I have gotten used to similar workflows on other devices and once you get the muscle memory, barring working on super long tracks, it isn't so bad, even if it does reinforce the "git good" mentality.
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree ➡️
Yes, specifically: does reverse immediately scrub the playhead from its current position (like SP-202, 303, etc.), or is it botched like the OG 404?
Apparently not... three versions later.

I am still not locating any answer to these questions.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 0Pepopowitz ➡️
Apparently not... three versions later.

I am still not locating any answer to these questions.
Pressing reverse on a sample that is already playing will switch the playback direction and start it again from either the start or end point of the sample depending on whichever direction it is going.
Old 20th January 2022 | Show parent
I've added version 0.11 of the guide at https://neartao.wordpress.com/nearta...the-sp404-mk2/.

I've got some ideas for linking some working session videos with the guide, so stay tuned for that.

The last two days were mostly about trying to flesh out some of the existing sections some more. Primarily the audio input section, but that also drove me to adding a new section for audio output as well. I'm nearly done with these, and should be able to get into more detail for getting into sampling and adjusting samples soon.

Feedback from folks has been to keep up with how I am writing. I know my style is kind of loose, but I guess it is helping people understand what different sections do. I'll keep at it for now, unless I get specific feedback to try and go a different direction.
Here for the gear

Can the SP404mk2 warp audio clips to retain loop end points in sync similar to Ableton?
Gear Nut

around the 2:40 mark
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Pressing reverse on a sample that is already playing will switch the playback direction and start it again from either the start or end point of the sample depending on whichever direction it is going.
THANK YOU for answering! So it's basically SP-404 style, which is a bit of a disappointment but not really a surprise.
Here for the gear

I've seen many videos, but not one yet shows constant audio rather than beats. Maybe it's because it doesn't handle legato audio very well when it becomes time adjusted/warped/stretched. Deal breaker if it's as bad as the sp404A for audio processing of that type. Edit: I just realized I'm no longer looking to audio warping in a final production since I'm not into glitch and lofi, I'm just trying to use these tools to help with songwriting activation and so I'll keep what I have for now, which is a lot....
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehighesttree ➡️
THANK YOU for answering! So it's basically SP-404 style, which is a bit of a disappointment but not really a surprise.
Yeah thats why i lose faith in these gears.nearly As bad as Akai not implementing free running LFOs on there new units ectect.I think they do it to annoy us.
Old 21st January 2022
Gear Nut

https://discord.gg/k6cKRS5y

SP-404mk2 discord
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Here for the gear

Quote:
What about in DJ Mode? How does reverse work in DJ Mode?
Is there a button for going backwards like a DJ?
Old 21st January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
if you require param locks - get an electron
No, thanks.
MS doesn`t fit the setup and has some build quality flaws.

Last edited by vromber; 21st January 2022 at 12:18 PM..
Old 22nd January 2022 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by vromber ➡️
No, thanks.
MS doesn`t fit the setup and has some build quality flaws.
Q what are the build issues with the model samples?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
Q what are the build issues with the model samples?
Step/function buttons falling off or getting stuck in the pressed position. It's a pretty common complaint.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by cogsy ➡️
Step/function buttons falling off or getting stuck in the pressed position. It's a pretty common complaint.
ouch not good!
Old 24th January 2022 | Show parent
Version 0.12 of the guide is posted at https://neartao.wordpress.com/2022/0...2-guide-v0-12/ or the usual link.

I spent some time trying to focus on the Data section, and starting to figure out a little bit about how the mk2 organizes information. To really figure out the .bin file format will absolutely take some time, but it may be beneficial to figuring out how to create a pattern editor or other things. I figure this is quite a ways off for me to think about for now, but I think it could certainly provide some valuable insight into how the mk2 works.
Old 26th January 2022
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
just got an email from Sweetwater saying it's on the way, should be here soon. i ordered first day and still missed the first batch of theirs, not sure how many they got in just now.
Old 26th January 2022 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
just got an email from Sweetwater saying it's on the way, should be here soon. i ordered first day and still missed the first batch of theirs, not sure how many they got in just now.
I ordered the first day from Sweetwater and just got my shipping notice from them this morning as well.
📝 Reply