Quantcast
Roland SP-404 MKII - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SP-404 MKII
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So it seems to have a chromatic mode... Was.this also available on the other 404's?

Also, to those complaining about its looks - in the description Roland talk about customizing it yourself, so it looks as they are gonna offer an easy way to print out your own graphics to place on the unit?
Old 2nd October 2021 | Show parent
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo ➡️
So it seems to have a chromatic mode... Was.this also available on the other 404's?

Also, to those complaining about its looks - in the description Roland talk about customizing it yourself, so it looks as they are gonna offer an easy way to print out your own graphics to place on the unit?
Maybe customized panels like the Ax edge?
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
A marriage between this and a Digitakt would be the perfect pocket device
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbylabby ➡️
Maybe customized panels like the Ax edge?
A SPeetar could be fun.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Very unexpected and welcome news. As an SP-404A user the only thing I missed in the previous generation units was missing overdub functionality (record external source while playing). In the description of the Mk2 model I couldn't find clear confirmation whether it's finally possible to record and layer vocal harmonies from a connected mic. I suppose increases polyphony and resample capabilities suggest it may finally be possible? What do you think?
Old 2nd October 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I wonder if this will have proper pitch adjustment. That was what I always hated about the 404.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vytis ➡️
Very unexpected and welcome news. As an SP-404A user the only thing I missed in the previous generation units was missing overdub functionality (record external source while playing). In the description of the Mk2 model I couldn't find clear confirmation whether it's finally possible to record and layer vocal harmonies from a connected mic. I suppose increases polyphony and resample capabilities suggest it may finally be possible? What do you think?
It should since has some live looping features.
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
I wonder if this will have proper pitch adjustment. That was what I always hated about the 404.
That‘s the big news. It now has this very basic functionality. Yet it remains unknown if it still can play those very long samples.
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
It says it has 16gb internal memory. Does this mean it doesn't stream samples from disk anymore? That would explain how they managed to up the polyphony from 12 to 32 voices
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
It says it has 16gb internal memory. Does this mean it doesn't stream samples from disk anymore? That would explain how they managed to up the polyphony from 12 to 32 voices
And it also explains why there now is chromatic playing of samples
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
It fixed everything. Everything. Now go buy.
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
this plus the rc 505 mk 2 boss looper pedal could be all you ever need for a live performance.

Beats on one and vocals on the other now that both these units have midi i/o

600 usd for each turns it into a super portable powerful performance package.

Say that quickly 3 times !

Cheers

Last edited by nickknack; 2nd October 2021 at 11:24 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 3rd October 2021
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
As much as I'd love to see this, I wouldn't get my hopes up. The reasons are pretty obvious IMO.

1. An OLED screen is a stray off from todays Roland stuff in this segment. So the product pic would've def have been spruced up way better than this as it would be a major selling point. On this pic the screen looks bland and unexciting. Look at their resent units with their cheapo 90s LCSs... With this much of an upgrade, wouldn't it be natural to redesign the whole face. Even the current model looks dated..

2. With the meagre specs Roland has stuck into resent products -really, it's obvious that this is just too good to be true. Too much good stuff in here.

My theory is that this is a well executed lobbying targeting Roland. These fanbois have created hype and shown what they'd really like to see in a successor.

Nah I don't believe this unless Santa drops Lo-Fi beats down my chimney this year. Hope I'm wrong though. I really do. Would be a sweet Christmas present from Me to Me..

Last edited by Secutor; 3rd October 2021 at 01:51 AM..
Old 3rd October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secutor ➡️
As much as I'd love to see this, I wouldn't get my hopes up. The reasons are pretty obvious IMO.

1. An OLED screen is a stray off from todays Roland stuff in this segment. So the product pic would've def have been spruced up way better than this as it would be a major selling point. On this pic the screen looks bland and unexciting. Look at their resent units with their cheapo 90s LCSs... With this much of an upgrade, wouldn't it be natural to redesign the whole face. Even the current model looks dated..

2. With the meagre specs Roland has stuck into resent products - it's obvious that this is just too good to be true. Isn't it just too much good stuff in here.

My theory is that this is a well executed lobbying targeting Roland. These fanbois have created hype and shown what they'd really like to see in a successor.

Nah I don't believe this unless Santa drops Lo-Fi beats down my chimney this year. Hope I'm wrong though. I really do. Would be a sweet Christmas present from Me to Me..
Another detail which makes this machine seem completely unrealistic is the round shape around the display. To achieve this, there would be a rectangular OLED display behind a round hole in the faceplate. It would be idiotic to waste physically existing screen space like that.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Right, as far as I know they’ve made three SP404 models. I think. And they all look pretty much identical. Seems like they’d reimagine the entire box if adding all these new features. I’ve got the OG SP404 and like it quite a bit, I’d love to see a new design with 2021 features.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
Another detail which makes this machine seem completely unrealistic is the round shape around the display. To achieve this, there would be a rectangular OLED display behind a round hole in the faceplate. It would be idiotic to waste physically existing screen space like that.
Yeah this may be a bigger tell than the ones I mentioned. Why on earth would you waste screen space like that instead of redo the plastic faceplate and even get a more expensive looking design in the process. I'm a bit puzzled why so many has fallen hook, line, and sinker for this.

If it really appeared on the webshop then someone must've hacked it. In case I salute you. I assume you must reading this :D

Last edited by Secutor; 3rd October 2021 at 01:58 AM..
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
I'm a bit puzzled why so many has fallen hook, line, and sinker for this.
Usually I would have thought it's because this is what people want so they think it just has to be true... However here on GS it seems there's rather a lot of hate against it

I want to believe it's true, that much is sure
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
Usually I would have thought it's because this is what people want so they think it just has to be true... However here on GS it seems there's rather a lot of hate against it

I want to believe it's true, that much is sure
Old 3rd October 2021
Gear Addict

Attached Images
Roland SP-404 MKII-e64a443ae9fdebf68f90a807f87b4db1.jpg 
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
For the skeptics, there was also this leak from Styleflip's Youtube back in August (see attached) as posted in this thread on another forum.

If it's a con, then it's a long con with some elaborate work.
Attached Thumbnails
Roland SP-404 MKII-img-8600.jpg  
Old 3rd October 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If it‘s real then the only bummer is that supposedly there is no step editing which is not only cool for robotic beats but also would be handy for triggering your pre bounced loops. Other than that to me it would be the most interesting Roland product since 1984.
Old 3rd October 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
If it's real, after upgrading to 16 pads it just has to have an MC-101 style step sequencer. But hey, it's Roland.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Yeah this may be a bigger tell than the ones I mentioned. Why on earth would you waste screen space like that instead of redo the plastic faceplate and even get a more expensive looking design in the process. I'm a bit puzzled why so many has fallen hook, line, and sinker for this.

If it really appeared on the webshop then someone must've hacked it. In case I salute you. I assume you must reading this :D
So you're saying that someone with a lot of free time decided to:
- Design the whole thing, figuring out the specs and workflow of it all to create a product that is not only internally coherent but also fits within the overall market and general direction of Roland.

- Have styleflip make and show prototype MKII faceplates this summer, then take that video down.

- Make fancy renders, write the promo text and specs, and get all of that up on Sam Ash in early Autumn, a typical Roland release time window. Then quickly have that taken down once the word starts to spread online.
Did I get that right? And you're not going to fall for it cause a few pixels have been sacrificed to aesthetics?

It just seems too good to be true but here's the deal: Roland/BOSS very recently revealed the RC-505 MKII, a new version that directly addresses a number of wishes 505 users have long had. Just one of many examples of Roland directly integrating user feedback directly into their product development in recent years. It's something they've been much more proactive about since their 2014 change in direction, to great results.

If you think hiding the corners of a screen is crazy try riding reading red text on a glossy finger-print magnet black background right next to bright LEDs:

Something cool to show ya, I've got something cool to show ya
Here for the gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Think we lost unlimited sample length if the specs are correct.

“ Maximum sampling time 16 minutes (approximately 176 MB per sample)”

Last edited by hypercubed; 3rd October 2021 at 03:21 AM.. Reason: Typo
Old 3rd October 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
16 minutes is enough for me for sure. Since it has tuning and doesn‘t stream from SD card anymore there has got to be a limit. At least not the 33 seconds like with the Toraiz or mono like Digitakt 😆
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
remember when some dorks thought the MPC-1000 was photoshop'd?

like i posted on the first page (and was just posted again), this thing was leaked over a month ago.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickknack ➡️
this plus the rc 505 mk 2 boss looper pedal could be all you ever need for a live performance.

Beats on one and vocals on the other now that both these units have midi i/o

600 usd for each turns it into a super portable powerful performance package.
the MC-707 would probably be a better unit for that, for $200 less.

EDIT: ehh, i could see how the other setup might be optimal for some people.

Last edited by jbuonacc; 3rd October 2021 at 06:57 AM..
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by knob twiddler ➡️
That is the main thing that forces me across to the MPC after sampling and effecting on the 404. I don't know who decided it would be a good idea to only have a warbly sounding timestretch pitch and no traditional pitch. What's worse is the DJ Looper effect does do normal pitch, but it's not granular enough to be useful most of the time.

The ability to play long samples is a major draw of the 404 to a lot of people. So I guess people will want to have an older 404 to do long sample stuff and a new one to do everything else with.
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

2. With the meagre specs Roland has stuck into resent products -really, it's obvious that this is just too good to be true. Too much good stuff in here.

My FB friend bought one from Sam Ash presale, he posted the receipt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by STRATEGY ➡️
My FB friend bought one from Sam Ash presale, he posted the receipt ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Interesting.
I still think there's something iffy about the design. Something doesn't sit right with that alleged OLED screen. But, like I said I'll be a happy man if it happens. Been scoping out a capable compact sampler for a long while now and it's been all these rubbish memory limitations /annoyances it seems. Maybe Roland will bring us more cowbell this time. We'll see.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
remember when some dorks thought the MPC-1000 was photoshop'd?

like i posted on the first page (and was just posted again), this thing was leaked over a month ago.

the MC-707 would probably be a better unit for that, for $200 less.

EDIT: ehh, i could see how the other setup might be optimal for some people.
Or just wait and get this with the midi controller and audio interface of your choice.

Also koala sampler app received multiple outs recently, AUv3 plugin for multiple instances inside AUM/AB3 (or this loopy pro) alongside the latest samurai edition addition (timestretching, sample editing tools, etc...) for those who don’t need everything on earth and can’t wait to finger drumming.

Also the fx part is AUv3 (sold apart) and multiple instances...

And koala works on Android (like zenbeats, another amazing app for looper people with zencore synth library...)

So as usual Roland delivers later and pricey. It will be worth in few years when they release the proper firmware updates with bug correction and missing features meanwhile price drops (if not become another hyped machine like old SP which cost near the same as Toraiz second hand lol)
📝 Reply