Roland SP-404 MKII - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SP-404 MKII
Old 1st October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by invisible_agent ➡️
A little surprised not more people are skeptical of this.

The picture looks more like a photoshop job than an actual photograph to me, especially around the edges of the screen; plus, there’s no reflection on the screen.

And the idea that some random guy who’s accidentally leaking a mock-up of a future product also happens to have the full, finished marketing copy with all the details and big adjectives is a little hard to believe.

Also, many of these features seem too good to be true.

Anyway, I’m going to wait for an “official official” announcement before I get excited.
What would be the point of such a bland hoax?
It’s obviously real because it’s Roland at their glacially incremental best, haha
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by asynchro_nous ➡️
It’s obviously real because it’s Roland at their glacially incremental best, haha
A better question is how could anyone suspect that a leak that occurred on Sam Ash’s website is somehow a hoax?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

The picture looks more like a photoshop job than an actual photograph to me, especially around the edges of the screen; plus, there’s no reflection on the screen.

And the idea that some random guy who’s accidentally leaking a mock-up of a future product also happens to have the full, finished marketing copy with all the details and big adjectives is a little hard to believe.

Anyway, I’m going to wait for an “official official” announcement before I get excited.
I copied the description from the Sam Ash listing. The pic too. If you look at the Elektronauts thread people have screen caps of the actually page. Believe me, my photoshop skills are not up to the task of even a marginal fake!
Old 1st October 2021
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
awful looking bit of kit.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by teevee ➡️
Finally Midi-out too:
And balanced 1/4" jacks
Gear Maniac

🎧 15 years
Quote:

Its already been sold by Sam Ash via pre-order, they took it down after they sold out.

It’s real.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Enraging people, wasting everyone's time; isn't that the most common reason for trolling?

I don't know. If it's real, then it's real and that's fine. I saw someone on reddit claim they knew someone who had been beta testing it for months. Maybe, maybe...

But until I see an official Roland announcement, I'm keeping my cool.

Adding an OLED screen would also be quite a departure from Roland’s other recent groovebox/sampler outings like the MV-1 and the MCs. That’s another reason I’m a little skeptical.
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The proper jacks, proper screen, usb-c, midi out, powerbank option, decent amount of fast internal memory - they DO seem like all the things Roland have resisted stubbornly to date, which is the only thing that smells of troll to me.

Mind you the TR-8S would have seemed like a total troll if leaked, it was very un-rolandish to fix pretty much EVERYTHING and drop a true classic.

Assuming it is all true, then this is a VERY interesting change of attitude by Roland - modern/requested/sensible options at a good price. Should make the next wave of Roland products ones to watch.
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bach666 ➡️
A better question is how could anyone suspect that a leak that occurred on Sam Ash’s website is somehow a hoax?
Good quip, sir.

It sure is stupid to not be aware of every music gear retailer in the world.
Quote:
Good quip, sir.

Well, it was literally in the first post.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Good quip, sir.

If you were unaware this leak originated from the Sam Ash website prematurely advertising it, maybe I'm not referring to you.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Weird omission to not show the wave edit screen
in that photo. Finally!
Lives for gear

Cool! I dislike touchscreens so this is more appealing to me than the Akais. Seems like a really nice portable hiphop/dancehall/etc (what they used to call "urban" nahmean) gigging machine for a beatmaker/mc tagteam. Double headphone outs too!

Battery powered, mic in (with autotune & vocoder!), can mix two beats for transitioning between them.. tell me more
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Where's that Variphrase desktop box though?

Come. On. Roland.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Where's that Variphrase desktop box though?

Come. On. Roland.
A variOS? System1 seems something like…
Deleted ff365b1
Quote:
Originally Posted by fiddlestickz ➡️
awful looking bit of kit.
im always feeling like an asshole for pointing this out with the Sequential Take 5 and now Roland 404 mkII . Is colorblind AI generating these designs? It looks horrible. Just a travesty of poor design sensibilities. 202, 303, original 404 are all beautiful machines. Those were simple and elegant looking with contrasts, not this muck of orange grey and black. Only plus on this aesthetic is they took away the convoluted FX name list and added another row of pads. Great new functionality though otherwise.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ff365b1 ➡️
im always feeling like an asshole for pointing this out with the Sequential Take 5 and now Roland 404 mkII . Is colorblind AI generating these designs? It looks horrible. Just a travesty of poor design sensibilities. 202, 303, original 404 are all beautiful machines. Those were simple and elegant looking with contrasts, not this muck of orange grey and black. Only plus on this aesthetic is they took away the convoluted FX name list and added another row of pads. Great new functionality though otherwise.
I really how this one looks actually. I think it's the best looking one yet.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ff365b1 ➡️
SP-303 looks kinda bland but it rocks. 202 looks better but it sucks. 404 is okay, but this one is kinda ugly. Hey, you can get a skin for it though. Overall this looks (specs-wise) nice!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
The "mkII" designation is a little strange given that there's been 3 iterations of the SP-404 already (original, SX and A).
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
The "mkII" designation is a little strange given that there's been 3 iterations of the SP-404 already (original, SX and A).
But they were very similar. I think main differences were SD cards in SX and new paint job in A. And some effects were changed (?).
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afferbeck ➡️
That's one of the main issues with the newer 404s to me, compared to the 303 and the original 404 which have "that" Vinyl Sim Compressor sound, compared to the SX and A versions where it's different, I think they split off the Vinyl Sim from the Compression.

Between the Vinyl Sim and Cassette Sim this MK2 could be a real winner. However, my hopes are pretty low considering they fell short on the SX. But it just seems they don't really care to improve on the already famous effects in the predecessors and add more equally great new ones.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by stopthesignal ➡️
This is a thorough revision rather than some slight updates/variation. I think "MKII" clearly conveys that.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Mmmm, I think only the pads are RGB... Given the focus on customisation, this needed way moar RGB lights
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
I don't know why people hate the looks? The System-8 and TR-8 look ugky, this looks absolutely OK. I think the only thing I'd miss is step edit mode.
Kja
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
I don't know why people hate the looks? The System-8 and TR-8 look ugky, this looks absolutely OK. I think the only thing I'd miss is step edit mode.
It's looks like a zoom recorder.. I like the idea of it but I agree I don't think I could ever take it too seriously.. love the size but god all these have been super ugly.. it's was cute when they were cheap, but this just seems weird to me..
Old 1st October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
It’s a blacked out SP-404 with orange accents and a slick OLED display. There’s nothing wrong with how this looks. You people obviously have horrible taste.
Old 2nd October 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
This is a thorough revision rather than some slight updates/variation. I think "MKII" clearly conveys that.
Just my opinion, but the SX changes were more than slight updates/variation:
  • From compact flash to SD cards (hardware change)
  • From compressed samples to uncompressed samples (fundamental sound engine change)
  • Changes to the effects, which was arguably the main selling point of the original

Given the above, the SX was the "mkII" in my mind which is why I found this naming odd. In the end, it's just one person's opinion on a rather minor matter.
Lives for gear

I also think it look great. It has that utilitarian look to it, doesnt look like a toy like volcas or new korg gear in general
Gear Nut

Color scheme is similar to new mpcs IMO.
Old 2nd October 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
So it seems to have a chromatic mode... Was.this also available on the other 404's?

Also, to those complaining about its looks - in the description Roland talk about customizing it yourself, so it looks as they are gonna offer an easy way to print out your own graphics to place on the unit?
📝 Reply