Quantcast
Roland SP-404 MKII - Page 11 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Roland SP-404 MKII
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by earwolf ➡️
Enjoyed that. Those flashing numbers gotta go though.

Better if it showed either:

1. Nothing
2. Master oscilloscope
3. Waveform of new performance record mode (where the whole jam gets recorded)
yeh any of those would be better

or your custom screen saver pic
https://articles.roland.com/ultimate...he-sp-404-mkii

Attached Thumbnails
Roland SP-404 MKII-screenshot-oct-14-10-07-35.png   Roland SP-404 MKII-screenshot-oct-14-09-59-29.png  
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:

1. Nothing
2. Master oscilloscope
4. Custom animated sequences
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
... you keep insisting on that I should get an MC-101 or TR-6s ...
ffs, you were talking about how someone might sequence the 404 from the 101, i asked wtf you meant with the "four tracks on the 404" and corrected your misinformation on them.

Quote:
Why would anyone buy an MC-101 who doesn't have the slightest interest in Zencore? The 404 is a phrase sampler. Apples and oranges
huh? i mostly use the 707/101 as just a phrase sampler. even on the TR-8S, you can have 11 loops/phrases of eight bars going at once, each track can play back user samples (in stereo too!). i don't think you know what these things actually do, spec sheets don't tell the whole story. for what most people are doing on the 303/404, the 101 can do all that and way more. these things are totally slept on, nobody knows what they really can do. it's not a new MC-303.

Quote:
If it's not for you then it's not for you. But that doesn't mean someone else has no use for it.
i'm saying that it's not something that's necessarily impossible on the MC and TR. you don't need those extreme sampling times to play back some stems/phrases/loops. pretty much everything you said about those machines was bunk.

what exactly are you yourself looking to do with the 404? a few different use cases? do you need step editing for stems?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I’m thinking there should be a x-fader on one knob in dj mode .
Gear Nut

Quote:

1. Nothing
2. Master oscilloscope
or pattern information. imo this new screen leads itself to a pattern/notes view kind of mpc thing....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearspace Cadet ➡️
I’m thinking there should be a x-fader on one knob in dj mode .
Ahh but then you get into the xfader curve problem — they'd need two more controls!

I have a bit mixed feelings about the DJ mode.. If it cannot be combined with the normal pattern playback & FX performance side, there's not much point to having it.. So I hope it can be mixed with those!
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
The online manual uses some silly font that renders terribly on latest chrome win 10

Anyone know if scatter is limited compared to other units eg mc101? Can you use the 16 pads to activate scatter types or are the pads always ONLY fixed to playing samples?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
I went ahead and preordered. The sampling and chopping workflow just seems far more intuitive and less bug prone than the MPC/Force. I’ve been to the point of frustration lately with how buggy the Force and the MPC are. Especially when it comes to the Qlinks and sampling. That’s like their core functionality, they shouldn’t be this damn buggy.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

Anyone know what type of printer/ cutter you use to make custom skins ?
Lives for gear

4 Reviews written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
ffs, you were talking about how someone might sequence the 404 from the 101, i asked wtf you meant with the "four tracks on the 404" and corrected your misinformation on them.
You were actually bringing up the 101. You'd need to use 2 channels of it if you wanted to sequence the 404 from it as it requires two MIDI channels to use the 160 MIDI notes. But then a pattern still has only 8 bars so you can't play stems with a length of 64 bars from just one pattern like with the 404.

Quote:
huh? i mostly use the 707/101 as just a phrase sampler. even on the TR-8S, you can have 11 loops/phrases of eight bars going at once, each track can play back user samples (in stereo too!).
So you are seriously recommending the 101 as a sampler. Can it even sample from the analogue in? How do you cut and chop your samples after recording, don't you think it's better to have the waveform display? When playing 11 loops/phrases, are you loading a new project after only 2 different 8 bar patterns @ 120 BPM?
Quote:
i don't think you know what these things actually do, spec sheets don't tell the whole story.
Maybe I'm missing some of their abilities but I know Zencore very well and don't really enjoy it much other than the JD-800 expansion which is not available for the 101/ 707. Might be a different story if there would be a mostly knob-per-function editor, though.
Quote:
for what most people are doing on the 303/404, the 101 can do all that and way more.
However I am not most people.
Quote:
these things are totally slept on, nobody knows what they really can do. it's not a new MC-303.
Serious question: Is there a really dope ass video of someone using the 101/ 707 who makes some non cheesy, non annoying kick ass music with it?

Quote:
i'm saying that it's not something that's necessarily impossible on the MC and TR. you don't need those extreme sampling times to play back some stems/phrases/loops. pretty much everything you said about those machines was bunk.
How did you get the idea that I want to play only few stems/ loops?

The last time I played them they had an 8 bar per pattern limit and the maximum sample time was 6 minutes stereo... Did that change?

Quote:
what exactly are you yourself looking to do with the 404? a few different use cases?
Sampling + bringing stems from the studio to my live performances, e.g. from the modular synth
Quote:
do you need step editing for stems?
I wouldn't mind to have step editing and stems in the same device step recording of stem note-ons wouldn't hurt either.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

There’s also an update , not sure if it changes anything that the reviewers haven’t already got , and the app manual is available .

I downloaded the app , spoiler alert …….

The gui isn’t scalable
Lives for gear

Quote:
There’s also an update , not sure if it changes anything that the reviewers haven’t already got , and the app manual is available .

The gui isn’t scalable
getting the feeling a 3rd party manual / user guide would do well
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eigenwert ➡️
You were actually bringing up the 101. You'd need to use 2 channels of it if you wanted to sequence the 404 from it as it requires two MIDI channels to use the 160 MIDI notes. But then a pattern still has only 8 bars so you can't play stems with a length of 64 bars from just one pattern like with the 404.

So you are seriously recommending the 101 as a sampler. Can it even sample from the analogue in? How do you cut and chop your samples after recording, don't you think it's better to have the waveform display? When playing 11 loops/phrases, are you loading a new project after only 2 different 8 bar patterns @ 120 BPM?

Maybe I'm missing some of their abilities but I know Zencore very well and don't really enjoy it much other than the JD-800 expansion which is not available for the 101/ 707. Might be a different story if there would be a mostly knob-per-function editor, though.

However I am not most people.

Serious question: Is there a really dope ass video of someone using the 101/ 707 who makes some non cheesy, non annoying kick ass music with it?

How did you get the idea that I want to play only few stems/ loops?

The last time I played them they had an 8 bar per pattern limit and the maximum sample time was 6 minutes stereo... Did that change?

Sampling + bringing stems from the studio to my live performances, e.g. from the modular synth

I wouldn't mind to have step editing and stems in the same device step recording of stem note-ons wouldn't hurt either.
Looking at the midi chart , you only have 16 notes per midi channel
C2 to Eb3 , so you’d need 10 tracks
I can probably use my blokas midi hub to use 1 mc track to trigger more than 1 sp bank
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:

The gui isn’t scalable
The update looks to have been issued prior to all the release deets.

Saw the scatter bit in the manual but I need a scatter fanatic to show me on video. Full full forensic level info.

When were you told you'd have yours? Nov or Dec? This will be the biggest selling MI product in history, arriving in an all-time supply chain apocalypse.

App gui not scalable is CLASSIC roland. Less time comparing tats with la beat scene and more on writing a proper, readable manual and a modern standards app.
Lives for gear

Quote:

Saw the scatter bit in the manual but I need a scatter fanatic to show me on video. Full full forensic level info.

When were you told you'd have yours? Nov or Dec? This will be the biggest selling MI product in history, arriving in an all-time supply chain apocalypse.

App gui not scalable is CLASSIC roland. Less time comparing tats with la beat scene and more on writing a proper, readable manual and a modern standards app.
Roland have addressed ui size in their plugout vsts'... there's now various % offerings, not mouse drag scalable but you can resize them now... i guess this will follow along the same lines eventually.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Eventually is unacceptable
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Already preordered. Was thinking about buying 404A for just effects, glad I didn't. It has a lot of limitations, workflow quirks. But now they nailed it. I don't like touch workflow with my MPC Live, prefer to cut samples with knobs. And they managed to do exactly I was looking for with that new one. Man, I'm hyped. Only one missing thing for me it's now lack of step sequencer like I have on S2400 and my MPC's. Hope they will update it with firmware updates. Or maybe they left it for the next model iteration? Another one is no screen like from MPC2500 with an option to change it's angle but I can live with that. For that price it's no-brainer for me.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
getting the feeling a 3rd party manual / user guide would do well
SP-404 mk2 reference manual pdf
https://www.dropbox.com/s/opixknq3to...anual.pdf?dl=0
Old 1 week ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perplexo ➡️
Loopop's review:

Omg, loopop is supporting this crazy conspiracy too. Next thing you know Roland themselves are going to declare this hoax real. What kind of world do we live in? The length the gov goes to to control us! Anti-404ers unite!
Gear Addict

Quote:

I haven’t been told when pmt are getting them ,my rep told me he’d give me a call when it arrives , have you heard anything from them ?
Lives for gear

Quote:
so it's useful as you can download it (pdf) but it looks like a pasrse of the online doc with all the massive blank spaces and horrible formatting that roland created is still intact.

Q. are you going to re format it to make it more useable/friendly over time?
with updates as you go thru it?
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfernald ➡️
Omg, loopop is supporting this crazy conspiracy too. Next thing you know Roland themselves are going to declare this hoax real. What kind of world do we live in? The length the gov goes to to control us! Anti-404ers unite!
what are you talking about?
exactly.... spell it out.
Gear Addict

Quote:
so it's useful as you can download it (pdf) but it looks like a pasrse of the online doc with all the massive blank spaces and horrible formatting that roland created is still intact.

Q. are you going to re format it to make it more useable/friendly over time?
with updates as you go thru it?
Ok, I had to go print then save as pdf for every page, that looked to be the easiest way to do it and keep it organised , I’ll see what I can do , I’ve reorganised it so it’s front to back now , I can add the updates , I’ll be doing them for myself.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Ok, I had to go print then save as pdf for every page, that looked to be the easiest way to do it and keep it organised , I’ll see what I can do , I’ve reorganised it so it’s front to back now , I can add the updates , I’ll be doing them for myself.
excellent, it's along job but if it's for yourself you'll have good incentive!
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by apoclypse ➡️
I went ahead and preordered. The sampling and chopping workflow just seems far more intuitive and less bug prone than the MPC/Force. I’ve been to the point of frustration lately with how buggy the Force and the MPC are. Especially when it comes to the Qlinks and sampling. That’s like their core functionality, they shouldn’t be this damn buggy.
I dint have a lot of bugs with the new MPC besides that Save Loop bug, but I think combining the MPC with the 404 could be a fantastic option.
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
Quote:
what are you talking about?
exactly.... spell it out.
Maybe you missed the early part of this thread where all the crazies were out declaring with certainty that this new sampler was all a hoax.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by geremy ➡️
HOLY ****.

How have I never seen this before?

I have a couple thoughts:

1) Anytime someone brings up the iPad or VST equivelent, this video should be posted. You just cannot jam/vibe like this with an ipad. Sure you can buy a faderfox and maybe setup something somewhat in the same vein, but at that point you have already spent far more money than the 404.

2) I'm sure a lot of the sound has to do with the source sample selection, and perhaps the mixer eq, but I was struck with just how put together the entire mix sounded. I think if I attempted this with discrete elements it would sound much more disjointed (from a frequency content point of view). Really good skill here, I'm sure. I'm guessing even the tracks themselves have been resampled through a couple of times, but overall pretty quality, even while adding effects over the top.

3) How do I get a life where I can play & party on a boat (on the Seine in the middle of Paris?) surrounded by vinyl, beer, and music equipment?
Ive said this many times to online but khryo is reason I wanted a 404. I was going to get one last month but then heard about the leak...and know we here. I have already preordered mine. I love what madlib was able to do on it and even dilla both are in my top 10 producers list but when i seen khryo rock that set ..."I was yeah I need one of these" .
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
I haven’t been told when pmt are getting them ,my rep told me he’d give me a call when it arrives , have you heard anything from them ?
I went with guitar guitar in the end, as they had an Oct date with fifty quid down. Who knows when these bad boys will finally be in our hands?
📝 Reply