Quantcast
HYDRASYNTH DELUXE - Page 8 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
HYDRASYNTH DELUXE
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #211
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
Mods is there a way to delete the duplicate photos?
Done!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #212
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
Okay. Delux arrived double boxed with a reasonable amount of padding. Pics attached. Lifting it out of the box and taking the end pads off (one has the shelf in it- also wrapped to prevent scratching) and removing the plastic bag it looks good. There’s also a plastic film covering the white keys where they extend past the black ones. The power supply has about 2 metres of chord, the plug to the machine is 90 degrees to the cable and quite firm to insert. The wall wart is delivered with a number of slide on plug styles pic attached.
Curiously there is no USB cable with it, in addition to the power supply there is a printed owners manual, a package of about a dozen ASM stickers and a loose single sheet in 7 languages advising you to visit Ashun’s website and download the latest firmware, the firmware updates and the Patch Manager. My Delux arrived with firmware version 1.0 on it.
I have seen a complaint about sharp edges on the keys underside - I ran my finger across the underside of all keys - no sharp edges felt.
Connection was simple atm I am only using the main outs but that may change.
I toyed with a few sounds prior to starting a backup of all banks which is slowly happening through the MIDI DIN ports as I write. Sounds warmer than the demos on Ashuns website keys feel nice the aftertouch feels good too- I don’t think it will take long to adjust to not engaging it unwittingly.
Now we need a feedback on sounds and usability!!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #213
Lives for gear
 
Gomjab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel03 ➡️
Now we need a feedback on sounds and usability!!
I’m looking forward to find out how the keybed feels compared to the original Hydrasynth. There are improvements like release velocity. I want to know if the feel is the same, worse, or hopefully better!

Still waiting for mine to be delivered.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #214
Gear Nut
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
I noodled my way through Bank A. Most sounds seem very usable to me. The ‘piano’ sounds except one (and I didn’t mark it to be able to easily return to) were unappealing and my pianoteq or Kurzweil will still be the goto’s for them. That was no surprise.
The keys feel nice to play, applying aftertouch between black and white felt no harder on one over the other, the ribbon is nice to use. I haven’t yet measured the note on and note off velocities but from playing around they feel like they’re using plenty of the 127 range they should have.
In the long term I think I will be adjusting the mod wheel range as on many of the presets so far it’s to great - reducing the range will give more precision and finer control to me.
Only downside so far is that changing the patch immediately cuts off the currently playing sounds. I will be checking the manual to see if there’s a setting I can change for that but as I won’t be using it for live performance it’s not a big thing.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #215
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
I noodled my way through Bank A. Most sounds seem very usable to me. The ‘piano’ sounds except one (and I didn’t mark it to be able to easily return to) were unappealing and my pianoteq or Kurzweil will still be the goto’s for them. That was no surprise.
The keys feel nice to play, applying aftertouch between black and white felt no harder on one over the other, the ribbon is nice to use. I haven’t yet measured the note on and note off velocities but from playing around they feel like they’re using plenty of the 127 range they should have.
In the long term I think I will be adjusting the mod wheel range as on many of the presets so far it’s to great - reducing the range will give more precision and finer control to me.
Only downside so far is that changing the patch immediately cuts off the currently playing sounds. I will be checking the manual to see if there’s a setting I can change for that but as I won’t be using it for live performance it’s not a big thing.
Are the split sounds inspiring?
Are the sounds too digital or is there any analog warmth?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #216
Lives for gear
 
kpatz's Avatar
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
Only downside so far is that changing the patch immediately cuts off the currently playing sounds. I will be checking the manual to see if there’s a setting I can change for that but as I won’t be using it for live performance it’s not a big thing.
You can get around this in multi mode on the Deluxe, if you change the preset on one layer the other won't be cut off.
Old 1 week ago
  #217
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Up on this side of the border I decided last night to put my pre-order in at Long&McQuade, who have it on their system for CAD $2499 - about $200 more Canadian dollars than Sweetwater, but I'll have no issues with bringing it over the border mid-pandemic. There's still room for fellow Canucks to get in on L&M's initial order. It's not on their website though, so you'll have to talk to a salesperson.

When the original Hydrasynth came out I was one of those people who wanted to wait for a version with a 5-octave keyboard, so the 73-key Deluxe is like an extra bonus for me.

Congratulations @ rACgear - I'm totally jealous but I know I'll see mine soon! Looks like you do have a firmware update to perform, as 1.10 is already up at https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #218
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula ➡️
When the original Hydrasynth came out I was one of those people who wanted to wait for a version with a 5-octave keyboard, so the 73-key Deluxe is like an extra bonus for me.
Same here. I also hope this synth finishes the stupid trend of releasing 4-octave keyboards.
Old 1 week ago
  #219
Gear Maniac
 
DeckardTrinity's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Just got shipping notice from Sweetwater this morning!
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #220
Lives for gear
 
Gomjab's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeckardTrinity ➡️
Just got shipping notice from Sweetwater this morning!
I got my heads up a couple of days ago but didn’t get an actual tracking number until the wee hours of the morning here. I may have mine tomorrow but definitely Saturday unless the carrier has a major screwup.

I wonder how many will leave Sweetwater today.

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #221
Lives for gear
 
Gomjab's Avatar
Hydrasynth Deluxe now available at Sweetwater

Looks like Sweetwater got more than enough Hydrasynth Deluxes in to cover pre-orders. They are currently listed as in stock!

Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #222
Gear Nut
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel03 ➡️
Are the split sounds inspiring?
Are the sounds too digital or is there any analog warmth?
Bank A has no splits as far as I know. I have found most of the sounds warm.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #223
Gear Nut
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by infindebula ➡️
Up on this side of the border I decided last night to put my pre-order in at Long&McQuade, who have it on their system for CAD $2499 - about $200 more Canadian dollars than Sweetwater, but I'll have no issues with bringing it over the border mid-pandemic. There's still room for fellow Canucks to get in on L&M's initial order. It's not on their website though, so you'll have to talk to a salesperson.

When the original Hydrasynth came out I was one of those people who wanted to wait for a version with a 5-octave keyboard, so the 73-key Deluxe is like an extra bonus for me.

Congratulations @ rACgear - I'm totally jealous but I know I'll see mine soon! Looks like you do have a firmware update to perform, as 1.10 is already up at https://www.ashunsoundmachines.com/downloads
The firmware update was the second thing I did after unpacking it. I have also downloaded all the sounds available at Ashuns website.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #224
Gear Nut
 
1 Review written
🎧 10 years
Bank B. Similar to Bank A - you won’t buy it for the ep’s in it. Paid more attention to the categories each sound is listed in this time: the pads, ambient and strings seem generally pretty good, Arps and Rhythmic sounds good although I am not generally a fan of such things on a synth. I would single out the Luna zither as being really good but I found most of the Keys in this bank to be a little off - I played with the cutoff, resonance and drive on a number of them and found marked improvements in most.
Paid more attention to the polyAT and so far as I can tell both black and white keys respond identically.
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #225
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rACgear ➡️
Bank B. Similar to Bank A - you won’t buy it for the ep’s in it. Paid more attention to the categories each sound is listed in this time: the pads, ambient and strings seem generally pretty good, Arps and Rhythmic sounds good although I am not generally a fan of such things on a synth. I would single out the Luna zither as being really good but I found most of the Keys in this bank to be a little off - I played with the cutoff, resonance and drive on a number of them and found marked improvements in most.
Paid more attention to the polyAT and so far as I can tell both black and white keys respond identically.
A and B banks are single patches
M is Multi
Patch# Name Category Mode

M1-001 Kon-Tiki RA KEYS Dual
M1-002 Pad&Lead PS LEAD KeySplit
M1-003 Chrome Gold BRASSTAB Dual
M1-004 12bit Vibra RA PERCPTCH Dual
M1-005 Starlink GD AMBIENT KeySplit
M1-006 HolyFMpad GD E_PIANO Dual
M1-007 CoalBass BASSDARK Dual
M1-008 Morning Sun RA AMBIENT Dual
M1-009 Icy Brass RA BRASSSYN Dual
M1-010 Seafloor Harp RA PLUCKED Dual
M1-011 Pennies Working E_PIANO Dual
M1-012 Hydra Orchest RA BRASSTAB Dual
M1-013 Vibra-Strings RA STRNGPAD dual
M1-014 SynHorn GD BRASSSYN Dual
M1-015 Old Times RA E_PIANO Dual
M1-016 Miami Bass RA BASSANLG KeySplit
M1-017 SDSV Kick&Tom PS DRUM KeySplit
M1-018 BrightGS1 GD E_PIANO Dual
M1-019 DotMatrixDays AR E_PIANO Dual
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
  #226
Lives for gear
 
Gomjab's Avatar
My Hydrasynth Deluxe did get delivered today!!

I’ve only had time to get it out of the box and test drive the new action on some presets. It does feel better than the original Hydrasynth but that could be completely psychosomatic! The extra keys are definitely NOT psychosomatic and really make it a much more compelling instrument for me at least!

It was double boxed and arrived it great shape. The build quality seems excellent as did my original. Now I need to work on integrating it into my MIDI setup so I can combine my Fantom 8 and HSD into a duo master controller setup for all my other gear. I plan on using Divisimate to help integrate the two.



https://divisimate.com/
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #227
Lives for gear
 
Gomjab's Avatar
Why I love PolyAT

This is a subtle use of poly aftertouch. For my self mental health I enjoy playing live. No multi tracking so I like the ability to have independent expression. Channel aftertouch, breath controllers, mod wheels all effect every note being held.

This is my first recording of the deluxe using the stock multi patch M1-002 Pad&Lead PS

The ability to swell individual notes is awesome. Besides the multitimbral ability, the deluxe gives me enough keys to pull this off straight out of the deluxe.

Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #228
Gear Nut
 
that sounds really nice, fek i want a deluxe now. i love my 49keys atm, more so than my ob6. could sell both and get a deluxe, and then maybe get a small analog module to sit on top. hmmmmm
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #229
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighty ➡️
that sounds really nice, fek i want a deluxe now. i love my 49keys atm, more so than my ob6. could sell both and get a deluxe, and then maybe get a small analog module to sit on top. hmmmmm
Why would you want to sit on top of an analog module?
Chairs are more comfortable.
Old 6 days ago | Show parent
  #230
vlz
Lives for gear
 
vlz's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab ➡️
This is a subtle use of poly aftertouch. For my self mental health I enjoy playing live. No multi tracking so I like the ability to have independent expression. Channel aftertouch, breath controllers, mod wheels all effect every note being held.

This is my first recording of the deluxe using the stock multi patch M1-002 Pad&Lead PS

The ability to swell individual notes is awesome. Besides the multitimbral ability, the deluxe gives me enough keys to pull this off straight out of the deluxe.

That's very good, very expressive. That's the kind of synth performance I'm into. Really great, well done.
Looks like an excellent instrument in the right hands.
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #231
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Anyone have any thoughts on the Deluxe vs the Novation Summit?
I have several analog poly's was thinking of getting a digital. Although even that is a tough decision given the amount of so many amazing Software synths the cover the digital realm so well?
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #232
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
Anyone have any thoughts on the Deluxe vs the Novation Summit?
I have several analog poly's was thinking of getting a digital. Although even that is a tough decision given the amount of so many amazing Software synths the cover the digital realm so well?
Nowadays, it does not make sense anymore to pick a modern digital hardware synth for its sound. Software plugins cover all the range of sounds perfectly.

You want a digital keyboard for the rest of features: keybed, buttons, onboard sequencer and arpeggiator, instant playing (instead of dealing with a host DAW, boring account managers for each software company, etc.), performance-oriented characteristics, etc.

That said, for me the two best options available are the Hydrasynth Deluxe (73 keys, polyphonic aftertouch) and the Kurzweil PC4/K2700 (aside of its outstanding synthesis capabilities, performance-wise the Kurzweil are the best keyboards ever).

On the other hand, I wouldn't consider the Novation Summit a digital synth. The OSC are indeed digital with zero-aliasing, but the rest of the signal path (filters, VCAs, etc.) is totally analogue.

Other digital synths I would check: the excellent Modal Argon8X (it's insanely inexpensive but yet a 61-key instrument) and of course the Yamaha MODX6!!
Old 4 days ago | Show parent
  #233
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
Anyone have any thoughts on the Deluxe vs the Novation Summit?
I have several analog poly's was thinking of getting a digital.
I consider the Summit analog but with some digital flavors. It sounds fantastic. It's definitely more immediate than the Hydrasynth, but if you want otherworldly sounds from the Summit you have to dive deeper.

Don't expect many people to have an opinion of the Deluxe yet. They are only just starting to get into musicians' hands. But as you probably know, it has the same engine as the original Hydrasynth, doubled up.

Recommended reading: Jexus's Summit review. It includes some Hydrasynth comparisons too. One point he makes (which I agree with) is the Summit has the best sounding reverb of any synth.

http://syntezatory.net.pl/novation_peak_summit.htm
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #234
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
Nowadays, it does not make sense anymore to pick a modern digital hardware synth for its sound. Software plugins cover all the range of sounds perfectly.

You want a digital keyboard for the rest of features: keybed, buttons, onboard sequencer and arpeggiator, instant playing (instead of dealing with a host DAW, boring account managers for each software company, etc.), performance-oriented characteristics, etc.

That said, for me the two best options available are the Hydrasynth Deluxe (73 keys, polyphonic aftertouch) and the Kurzweil PC4/K2700 (aside of its outstanding synthesis capabilities, performance-wise the Kurzweil are the best keyboards ever).

On the other hand, I wouldn't consider the Novation Summit a digital synth. The OSC are indeed digital with zero-aliasing, but the rest of the signal path (filters, VCAs, etc.) is totally analogue.

Other digital synths I would check: the excellent Modal Argon8X (it's insanely inexpensive but yet a 61-key instrument) and of course the Yamaha MODX6!!
I have the pc3x and numerous other high end analog synths, I agree with you, I spend at least 98% of my keyboard playing time on the Kurzweil it just sounds so good even after all these years!!! I ordered the Hydra but I think I am going to return it, what I can't get with my Kurz or Dave Smith keyboards I can certainly get with my Omnisphere,pigments and V5 Arturia software synths.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #235
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
I have the pc3x and numerous other high end analog synths, I agree with you, I spend at least 98% of my keyboard playing time on the Kurzweil it just sounds so good even after all these years!!!
And it's also has a superb keybed (PC3K8 here). But the PC4 and 2700 are a big quantum leap in all aspects (that V.A.S.T./FM engine...).

I can't understand why these beasts aren't more popular today among live musicians.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #236
Gear Head
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mastropiero ➡️
And it's also has a superb keybed (PC3K8 here). But the PC4 and 2700 are a big quantum leap in all aspects (that V.A.S.T./FM engine...).

I can't understand why these beasts aren't more popular today among live musicians.
simply: because it's the same soup since 20 years..no jokes
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #237
Lives for gear
 
Mastropiero's Avatar
 
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by angel03 ➡️
simply: because it's the same soup since 20 years..no jokes
The PC4/Forte/2700 sample ROM is several orders of magnitude greater than the previous series, plus the excellent FM implementation (sounds even better than Yamaha one IMHO) plus the best UX design. Even if a PC4 was used only as a MIDI controller, it would beat any other thing out there.

But, in any case, aren't the three big ones (plus Nord!) releasing the same workstation over and over? They just make a little change and release a new model.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #238
Gear Maniac
 
🎧 10 years
Well My Hydrasynth arrived today. I bought it on impulse before checking out the Novation.

First thing I noticed is the keys feel cheap. I compared it to my other synths. Moog matriarch, DS prophet x, DS OB6 , DS Prophet 6. The under surface of the keys are hollow where as My other synths are solid on the edge underneath surface. There is also a roughness at the margin of the adjacent key when a key is pressed down. The key action is light similar to my Arturia keystep. In fact they feel like they are the same exact keys.That being said I haven't played it long enough to see if it will be uncomfortable.



I fired it up for a few minutes and listened on a pair of headphones. So far not much to say, it sounds Ok for a 5 min listen. Will try it out for a couple of days to see if I keep it. So far leaning towards a return. I am sure if this was my first synth or only synth it would be a good choice, yet in my setup not sure it adds much? I will give it a good listen tomorrow and report back.

***update****
Now that I have jammed on it a little I am starting to Like it as it got my creative juices going may have to live with keyboard not being as high quality as some of my other synths

Last edited by echo44; 3 days ago at 04:16 AM..
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
  #239
Lives for gear
 
🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by echo44 ➡️
Well My Hydrasynth arrived today.

First thing I noticed is the keys feel cheap.
You got a Hydrasynth Deluxe with 73 keys?
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
  #240
Here for the gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gomjab ➡️
I’m looking forward to find out how the keybed feels compared to the original Hydrasynth. There are improvements like release velocity. I want to know if the feel is the same, worse, or hopefully better!

Still waiting for mine to be delivered.

Mine came on Friday, and I was able to try it side by side with my 49-key.

The keybeds are very similar. The keyboard on the Deluxe differs slightly to me: it's a bit quieter, mechanically speaking. It also feels a bit less "springy" and as a result I'm able to play slightly faster on it. Overall I think the keybed on the Deluxe is an improvement.

It might just be my imagination, but the aftertouch seems a very slight bit more stiff to me - or perhaps it's that my 49-key is two years old and has two years of use on it?

📝 Reply

Similar Threads

Thread / Thread Starter Replies / Views Last Post
replies: 3306 views: 70382
Avatar for Synth Guru
Synth Guru 21st August 2021
replies: 0 views: 497
Avatar for The Press Desk
The Press Desk 14th September 2021
replies: 163 views: 7170
Avatar for Fred_Abstract
Fred_Abstract 13th October 2021
Post Reply

Welcome to the Gearspace Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.


 
 
Slide to join now Processing…

Forum Jump
Forum Jump