Quantcast
Limitations of the Past = Better Music? - Page 36 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Limitations of the Past = Better Music?
Old 1 hour ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffsPills ➡️
I don't own a single synth with a keyboard - why would I? I like to use synths for electronic music, not traditional music.
Now this is narrow minded

Why can't a synth be used for any form of music you wish, be it experimental, dance or traditional etc ?

Why do you have this limitation ?

Also why can't someone play a keyboard in a non traditional manor ? you can tune a keyboard to do what you wish (microtonal etc) or you can just trigger things from the notes like gates or effects or anything the imagination throws up !

And finally

What is traditional to you, because in the year 2021 I see experimental music as being traditional because just about everyone I can think of is doing that now and has been for the last 20 years in a massive way.

Experimental music is so "done to death" by so many now just listening to some Vangelis is like a breath of fresh air again

So get over yourself
Old 54 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmesaverde ➡️
Sort of.

You can also get into the trap of only writing what you can play.
This is one of the many reasons I love sequencers and even automation, you can play things that humans simply cannot. I don’t want my 4 to the floor kick pattern to push and pull off the grid, I want jungle breakbeats to go faster than humans can play, I like 16th note acid basslines to squelch at full speed.
Old 53 minutes ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbuonacc ➡️
sure, i've posted a number of examples of that too. not sure what point you're trying to make.
You've also posted some god damn awful music as well

And please, that avatar of yours, keep smiling at me
Old 43 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato ➡️
This is one of the many reasons I love sequencers and even automation, you can play things that humans simply cannot. I don’t want my 4 to the floor kick pattern to push and pull off the grid, I want jungle breakbeats to go faster than humans can play, I like 16th note acid basslines to squelch at full speed.
You are absolutely right!! Use the correct tools to get the job done. No one is suggesting you would use a real drummer to actually play something like that. It would not give you the results you want.

However, you might consider having a real drummer program those parts for you as he as a drummer may be able to add some things that you would never have thought of and still give you jungle breakbeats that go faster than humans can play!

Old 42 minutes ago | Show parent
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato ➡️
You're spot on with your example, a machine can play faster and do other amazing things.

I don't think anyone is against using tech, sequencers, automation etc

I can do that as well as you can

plus a whole lot more !!!!!
Old 16 minutes ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by CAL. ➡️
You're spot on with your example, a machine can play faster and do other amazing things.

I don't think anyone is against using tech, sequencers, automation etc

I can do that as well as you can

plus a whole lot more !!!!!
📝 Reply