Quantcast
Arturia brings back the Ensoniq SQ-80 as vsti - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Arturia brings back the Ensoniq SQ-80 as vsti
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

So, this will be part of V-Collection ... 8.5?

SQ80 V is pretty and sounds lovely, but it's a pig:

Really brings back some memories though!
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Been testing it out this morning and it sounds great. It sounds like they got all the little idiosyncrasies and saturation in the signal path right. It doesn't just sound like a clean digital representation. Lots of character. I think it might be my favorite of their digital recreations.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Hmm, system overload again it seems. Just purchased:

Quote:
We are experiencing a short term issue and are unable to deliver your product (SQ80 V) licence immediately.

We are working on solving this issue as soon as possible.

We will send your product licence via e-mail within two working days.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

I've been beta testing this. A very cool edition to the VCollection. There's also a sale going on.
Old 3 days ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
My interest perked up a little bit when I noticed they've bonused the oscillators with the Transwaves from the VFX.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

Digging it. Been on the hunt for a cheap ESQ/SQ80 but this will do just fine for about 1/10th the price and no need to worry about where Im gonna put a keyboard in here!
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Now that the SQ80V is out of the bag, can any testers comment on the cpu hit on this? My live computer is a couple of generations back.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Very good sale, if youre a V Collection 6 or 7 owner. $149 for V Collection 8, the new SQ-80 and a couple of libraries.

Add to that - Don's collection -> Ensoniq ESQ-1, SQ-80 - ultimate patch collection 4500 additional patches which are compatible with the Arturia import function... and it's a happy day.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Oooh, nice sale there. I am still on V6, so I might have to do this. Of course, it will mean that V9 will come out for Xmas, but hey....
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not really caring about this, particularly because I got a Fred's Lab Tooro recently. I dig a few plugins including couple of the arturia stuff, but this one is a pass for me.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I'm liking it, even though I picked up an ESQm recently (got a good local deal). Ensoniq has a place in my heart, as it was the first synth that did what I wanted. Interface looks decent.
Old 3 days ago
Gear Head
Good for Arturia. This is a classic synth in many genres. Skinny Puppy used the hell out of it.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arglebargle ➡️
Now that the SQ80V is out of the bag, can any testers comment on the cpu hit on this? My live computer is a couple of generations back.
Some of the presets seem to use quite a bit of CPU on my system, up to about 25% of a single core when playing chords. I have a slightly older Ryzen 1800X.
Old 3 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really enjoying this - brings back lots of ESQ-1 memories.
Taking of which, I’ve managed to load the ESQ Factory 40 sysex into the Arturia. Anyone have the sysex for the other 80 patches which came on the ESQ cartridge?
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by le bouch ➡️
Really enjoying this - brings back lots of ESQ-1 memories.
Taking of which, I’ve managed to load the ESQ Factory 40 sysex into the Arturia. Anyone have the sysex for the other 80 patches which came on the ESQ cartridge?
Surely those are already in the Arturia library?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy ➡️
Surely those are already in the Arturia library?
No, there’s about 42 of the original 120 factory presets - all the ones with patch names in CAPITAL letters.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by synthguy ➡️
The Prophet VS isn't very whelming itself. I never understood the love.
As part of Arturia’s sound design team, I did
a number of presets for the ProphetVS (V3)
earlier this year. It became one of my favorite
Arturia synths. The original factory presets
weren’t that imaginative, I agree. But if you
really dig deep into programming it, it is
capable of some amazing textures. It isn’t
the easiest VST to program, which is why
maybe a lot of people gave up on it as
“underwhelming”.
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
No, there’s about 42 of the original 120 factory presets - all the ones with patch names in CAPITAL letters.
Ah right. I guess the missing ones will be here:
Ensoniq ESQ-1, SQ-80 - ultimate patch collection
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExPorts ➡️
Will be intersting to hear what it sounds like. The Prophet VS was quite underwhelming.
The Prophet V plugin is still one of their legacy plugins that hasn’t been fully updated yet. They seemed like they decided to give the waves a hi-fi sound that missed the charm of the original. That said, I’ve gotten many really interesting sounds out of that plugin when in VS/5 mode.

Slowly, they seem to be bringing all their emulations up to more modern standards. The Jupiter 8 was really their first major sound engine overhaul. If they can apply that to the rest, I’ll be really happy.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomás Mulcahy ➡️
Ah right. I guess the missing ones will be here:
Ensoniq ESQ-1, SQ-80 - ultimate patch collection
Thanks. I’ve been working my way through those - quite a few are corrupted and only load the first patch. Should keep me busy though
Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman ➡️
My interest perked up a little bit when I noticed they've bonused the oscillators with the Transwaves from the VFX.
I wasn’t that excited for an SQ80 emulation, until I saw that. Great idea. They should add all the Ensoniq transwaves.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
I wasn’t that excited for an SQ80 emulation, until I saw that. Great idea. They should add all the Ensoniq transwaves.
Indeed. And since they apparently are able to legally use all that Ensoniq ROM data including Transwaves, it's at least not inconceivable that they could one day do a Fizmo emulation. Maybe.
3bc
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
I've been beta testing this. A very cool edition to the VCollection. There's also a sale going on.
yes, my v collection price is $270 and that's hard not to pull the trigger on. i bought moog modular like 20 years ago and still get these nice offers. I have prophet, sub37 and juno, so it's hard to spend money on soft synths cause they just never get used, but as far as deals that never get used this is at least a great deal...
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Quote:
Thanks. I’ve been working my way through those - quite a few are corrupted and only load the first patch. Should keep me busy though
Seems like this might be the problem:
Quote:
Originally Posted by okto ➡️
In case anyone else is having trouble: several of these files have the wrong device ID at the beginning of the file and so won't load correctly (at least, in my OS 1.5 SQ-80). Changing the fourth byte to 0x00 instead of 0x0F fixed them.
Old 2 days ago | Show parent
Gear Maniac

Gear Guru

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vectorman ➡️
Indeed. And since they apparently are able to legally use all that Ensoniq ROM data including Transwaves, it's at least not inconceivable that they could one day do a Fizmo emulation. Maybe.
Ah… the FIZMO! My white whale… if only…

I think the problem with emulating the Fizmo is that the effects play an outsized role in its basic sound. That’s a tall order to get those effects algorithms correct. Unless you could convince the original developers to come on board, like they did for Symclavier V.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Why do they do this? It's the same with the Emulator plugin.
Just give us the ENTIRE classic library. For pete's sake, it's half the reason we want the plugin.
Old 2 days ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's hoping for an ASR-10 V.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by zerocrossing ➡️
The Prophet V plugin is still one of their legacy plugins that hasn’t been fully updated yet. They seemed like they decided to give the waves a hi-fi sound that missed the charm of the original. That said, I’ve gotten many really interesting sounds out of that plugin when in VS/5 mode.

Slowly, they seem to be bringing all their emulations up to more modern standards. The Jupiter 8 was really their first major sound engine overhaul. If they can apply that to the rest, I’ll be really happy.
a really good update would be something! Been trying, unsuccessfully, to justify buying a VS for a long time. Hoping SCI decides to go after building a modern version. I know thats unlikely... Unfortunately.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArtFluids ➡️
Why do they do this? It's the same with the Emulator plugin.
Just give us the ENTIRE classic library. For pete's sake, it's half the reason we want the plugin.
I know. CMI too.
📝 Reply