Quantcast
What Will You Do When ALL Classic Synths Are Cloned? - Page 6 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
What Will You Do When ALL Classic Synths Are Cloned?
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by jags ➡️
And I do thank you and appreciate your thoughts and opinion also. I agree with you 100% that we now live in a time where there are incredible tools available to us that can make incredible sounds. It's just a shame that it doesn't seem that we are making very good, new, creative, innovative, and musical use of these new tools.
obviously we can only speak of our own opinion, perhaps you are just very close minded as to the music that is about and how it is using modern tech in a creative and musical way? Being closed is not an insult either, we are all guilty at some level - i do not know of the styles you listen to but i presume it is they who do not make use of the modern tech in the way you desire? And if not, you say you are a pro musician so what are you doing about it? If nothing then why not?

you are the chap who says step seq: , sampling ruined music which is unbelievably ignorant in all honesty, it absolutely did not ruin music, it propelled it forward at the exact right time in a symbiotic manner and is / was and will always be used in certan genres to drive them while also playing a huge part in other genres not associated with the methods you hate so much - for example it is not only dance music that uses step sequencers or samplers and i am quite sure you are aware of it, it is absolutely needed at times for certain music. It is ok that you hate or chose to ignore the music associated with it though and i am completely on board with that emotion being applied by anybody, that is your right, but calling it all garbage because you don't like it while screaming out for a new beatles is a bit silly - maybe the new beatles already exists but you don't know about them because you don't venture there. FTR i would rather eat my feet than listen to the beatles, most of my family love them, i think they are garbage - there you go.

seems like a rant, it isn't.
Gear Guru

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cresshead ➡️
we'll soon enough i guess, the rd-808 got a name change
kinda glad they listened and went with rd8 tbf
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️
obviously we can only speak of our own opinion, perhaps you are just very close minded as to the music that is about and how it is using modern tech in a creative and musical way? Being closed is not an insult either, we are all guilty at some level - i do not know of the styles you listen to but i presume it is they who do not make use of the modern tech in the way you desire? And if not, you say you are a pro musician so what are you doing about it? If nothing then why not?

you are the chap who says step seq: , sampling ruined music which is unbelievably ignorant in all honesty, it absolutely did not ruin music, it propelled it forward at the exact right time in a symbiotic manner and is / was and will always be used in certan genres to drive them while also playing a huge part in other genres not associated with the methods you hate so much - for example it is not only dance music that uses step sequencers or samplers and i am quite sure you are aware of it, it is absolutely needed at times for certain music. It is ok that you hate or chose to ignore the music associated with it though and i am completely on board with that emotion being applied by anybody, that is your right, but calling it all garbage because you don't like it while screaming out for a new beatles is a bit silly - maybe the new beatles already exists but you don't know about them because you don't venture there. FTR i would rather eat my feet than listen to the beatles, most of my family love them, i think they are garbage - there you go.

Thank you for presenting your perspective and opinion. I understand and accept everything that you have said. And yes I am always speaking from my own perspective and opinion and don't expect anyone to have to agree with me. That's the way it should be.

I am trying to discover what may be out there that I may like as far as synth music is concerned. That is why I am here asking all these questions. But unfortunately a lot of what I have heard or has been presented to me is not very musically appealing to me.

I am a professional musician. I am classically trained and I perform with our local symphony orchestra, a six piece pop/rock band, and a jazz quartet. I enjoy many genres of music ranging from classical, jazz, pop, rock, big band, country, and electronica. I really like genres that crossover with others. But I am a performer and not a creator so unfortunately it's not that easy for me to simply create what I like on my own.

When I make the statement;

Loop Sampling - Grid Sequencing - Pitch Correction. The three musical technological innovations that have DESTROYED music!

That is just a statement of my own opinion and I don't want or expect anyone else to have to agree with me. From my perspective this is the way I feel and see things. In my opinion these technologies have taken the musicianship out of the music. But again that is just my opinion.

So again I appreciate and understand your opinion. I just hope you can appreciate and understand mine.

Thanks!
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio ➡️
Yeah a pretty big one.
Cool. Really. Like whatever you want, of course.

I was just checking my ProgFan Radar.

Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie munro ➡️

so question 1 what does FTR mean?

From my perspective there have been 3 big shifts in music during my life of making music.

punk rock :
opened up the idea that anyone can do this not just some elite virtuoso's with a huge bank balance and years of practice.

synths, samplers sequencers ands drum machines
you could be a 1 man 'band' with affordable musical instruments and a tape portastudio to write and record songs in your bedroom.

digital audio workstations
everything you need in a computer to create songs and record them.

personally i don't 'get' cover bands playing someone's songs. I've never really done a cover of any song.... it's already been done and out on record/cd/mp3.

current music?
music industry just like the film industry is going thru a safe/predictable period.. not much innovation going on.
Gear Addict

Al

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bignatius ➡️
Cool. Really. Like whatever you want, of course.

I was just checking my ProgFan Radar.

I love the sweet balance of prog but still pop, so it works for a bigger audience, not just prog nerds. Also when synths add texture and deeper ambience to make it bigger. I have nothing against synths, I just need the human element.

Just look past the eighties production, it's a kickass song. But I'm sure you already know it:

If only kids these days didn't have the attention span of a dog, you can't make em sit through an album anymore. Let's try if we can make prog big again with 3 second songs on Spotify.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidaudio ➡️
We could use some more Trevor Horns or Trevor Rabins and such in modern music or even pop itself.

Trevors seem to make good producers.
I didn't realize back in the '80s how large Trevor Rabin's role was on 90125. A few years back, I recall reading that a large portion of the production time on that record was just Rabin and Horn sitting in the control room while Rabin tracked guitar and keyboard overdubs. And then of course the Trevors fell out on Big Generator and Rabin was very critical of Horn in interviews about that record. And then they made up again in the early '90s and seem to have been on good terms ever since. Oh, the...Drama. (Sorry, I couldn't seem to stop myself.)

And yeah, "Shoot High Aim Low" is a fantastic song. I remember frequently checking the radio as a teenager in the summer of '87 listening for the first singles from the forthcoming new Yes and Rush albums. And one afternoon when we were visiting family downstate, a station out of Detroit played "Rhythm of Love", "Big Generator" and "Shoot High Aim Low" all in one go and wow, jaw on the floor. (Granted, when I got the actual album, I found that those were most of the highlights and that I wasn't quite as excited by some of the rest of it, but still...)

The excitement of bands that were so up my alley who were still in their prime and releasing solid material and were still adventurous enough to try drastically new things and surprise us...well, it's something I've missed for several years now, getting genuinely stoked about some upcoming album release.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Addict

I like your music David.

Some very good balance of all the elements, excellent bass playing and silence between the notes. Reminds me of Ozric Tentacles.

Hats off to you for doing it all on your own!
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Thank you, very kind of you to say.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

I will continue to realise the essence of snake oil and snale oil salesmen and how some snake oil is extremely good value for money and how some vintage synths are not.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubik stone ➡️
I will continue to realise the essence of snake oil and snale oil salesmen and how some snake oil is extremely good value for money and how some vintage synths are not.
It's not even just the peddlers and audiophile quacks, it's the hype machine everyone is susceptible to (some are just being better at staying focused and aware!)
Gear Addict

Quote:
personally i don't 'get' cover bands playing someone's songs. I've never really done a cover of any song.... it's already been done and out on record/cd/mp3.
It's for the fun of playing a good piece of music. If you don't play an actual instrument and a DAW is all you have things are different.
Playing covers in a weekly karaoke band was the most fun I've ever had performing live. Regular gig, lots of songs I'd never otherwise play, and audience participation. Beats my usual thing of trying to be as esoteric and unlistenable as possible.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by masitito ➡️
It's for the fun of playing a good piece of music. If you don't play an actual instrument and a DAW is all you have things are different.
i play bass, drums, keys, guitar and 'sing'....
i understand some people derive pleasure from mimicking their fav bands tunes... good for them... just not really for me.

not interested in cover bands really. prefer writing my own songs.

there are of course exceptions
Gear Addict

Quote:
i understand some people derive pleasure from mimicking their fav bands tunes... good for them... just not really for me.
I have never had that anyone playing a Jazz tune is accused of mimicry. Why is it a requirement for a pop/rock musician to be composer as well?

If don't enjoy playing music written by someone else, well that's you, no problem. But no, I strongly disagree that this is mimicry. Mimicry is if your own songs sound like your favourite bands or your guitar solos are copies of your heros.

In the 60ies well know artist did even cover their contemporaries both on vinyl and on stage.
📝 Reply