Quantcast
Sequential Take 5 - Page 95 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Take 5
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methlab ➡️
Anybody else grabbing one of those Klark Dimension D's on sale for $70? Feel like it's a great pairing with the Take 5 (and my Grandmother too).

Its also apparently all analogue so running the Take 5 through that will give it more analogue street credit after that sinful and filthy digital conversion.
Yeah I took the plunge at that price.
Old 1 week ago
Here for the gear

Tuning FM

I mostly play jazz as a hobby pianist and purchased the Take 5 to be on the top of my Rhodes mk2. I have to say I love this combo!!! The sound of the Take 5 blends so perfectly and has an organic quality - I haven’t felt this really when I tested other polysynths.

My question is: if I apply FM from Osc2 to Osc1 the pitch will change because the FM is exponential. For me this makes impossible to get a desired FM modulation AND still keep tuning stable (i.e A = 440 Hz). Is there a way to tackle this issue, for example tune both osc simultaniously after finding the FM sweet spot?
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzDino ➡️
I mostly play jazz as a hobby pianist and purchased the Take 5 to be on the top of my Rhodes mk2. I have to say I love this combo!!! The sound of the Take 5 blends so perfectly and has an organic quality - I haven’t felt this really when I tested other polysynths.

My question is: if I apply FM from Osc2 to Osc1 the pitch will change because the FM is exponential. For me this makes impossible to get a desired FM modulation AND still keep tuning stable (i.e A = 440 Hz). Is there a way to tackle this issue, for example tune both osc simultaniously after finding the FM sweet spot?

Can't help with your question, but nice to find someone else using this for jazz, as that is roughly my intended use case (jazz/funk/fusion...) Having this on top of another board for the piano/clav/organ/etc would make a nice little combo.
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
if I apply FM from Osc2 to Osc1 the pitch will change because the FM is exponential. For me this makes impossible to get a desired FM modulation AND still keep tuning stable (i.e A = 440 Hz). Is there a way to tackle this issue, for example tune both osc simultaniously after finding the FM sweet spot?
That's basically what I do on the P5, get the sound I want, and then retune both oscillators the same amount until it's in tune. It works pretty well, but sometimes the pitch doesn't land exactly on a semitone. Then you just have to get as close as you can and embrace the magic!
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcs801 ➡️
Can't help with your question, but nice to find someone else using this for jazz, as that is roughly my intended use case (jazz/funk/fusion...) Having this on top of another board for the piano/clav/organ/etc would make a nice little combo.
I have the impression Take 5 is indeed the perfect choice for jazz/funk/fusion kind of stuff. My initial concern was the amount of polyphony. Altough one might say that 5 voices are limiting, actually I can play 4-note voicings in left hand and melody in right hand with pretty satisfying results. Limitations often boost creativity. Especially because the sound is super musical for my ears, and there is a very decent range of expression tools (mod wheel, aftertouch, control pedal, foot switch, all the knobs!) Every time I turn on this synth I can hardly stop playing. Every setting I dial in inspires me. And this is perhaps not generally true for all synths. I believe this synth was made for keyboard players!
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
Quote:
...Especially because the sound is super musical for my ears, and there is a very decent range of expression tools (mod wheel, aftertouch, control pedal, foot switch, all the knobs!) Every time I turn on this synth I can hardly stop playing. Every setting I dial in inspires me. And this is perhaps not generally true for all synths. I believe this synth was made for keyboard players!
To my ears, it's a synth that simply sounds amazing - right up there with the OB and Prophet and other legendary synths. I'm not sure if it's because the Take 5 is a VCO synth? Or just the right combination of filter and oscillators?

But, for that reason, I would say it's a synth made for everyone and anyone who wants something beautiful sounding. As a standalone synth, to put on a Rhodes, or in a large synth setup.

I would imagine every kind of player could benefit from its sound...
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotecho ➡️
That's basically what I do on the P5, get the sound I want, and then retune both oscillators the same amount until it's in tune. It works pretty well, but sometimes the pitch doesn't land exactly on a semitone. Then you just have to get as close as you can and embrace the magic!
One trick for fine tuning the oscillators is to do it from the program menu. You can dial it down to the exact number of cents from the menu using the value encoder, while doing it using the pitch knobs is more coarse, harder to get it exact. I'll use the pitch knob to quickly get close, then dial it in exact from the menu.

This is also handy if you want to tune to a perfect interval like a fifth, it's hard to get it on the dot with the pitch knob, but from the menu it's a cinch.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
In the mod matrix use a DC amount on Osc All Fine Freq to tune them simultaneously
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by AceNoir ➡️
In the mod matrix use a DC amount on Osc All Fine Freq to tune them simultaneously
Thank you guys, I will try all these tricks!
Sorry if I've missed it but does the Take 5 have a full midi implementation ie all controls transmit/receive midi cc?
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFist ➡️
Sorry if I've missed it but does the Take 5 have a full midi implementation ie all controls transmit/receive midi cc?
Yes, there is a midi implementation document on their website, and all the knobs/buttons can send/receive CC or NRPN. Even the mod matrix slots and global settings can be changed with NRPNs.

The one thing that seems to not be working currently is poly aftertouch, even though the midi implementation says it recognizes it, and pressure shows up as both "mono" and "poly" mod sources in the matrix.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Yes, there is a midi implementation document on their website, and all the knobs/buttons can send/receive CC or NRPN. Even the mod matrix slots and global settings can be changed with NRPNs.
So the Take5 should work well with Omnisphere.
Lives for gear

1 Review written
🎧 15 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleer ➡️
So the Take5 should work well with Omnisphere.
It should hypothetically make for an excellent midi control for Repro 5 as well, which I look forward to mapping and seeing how that functions!
Quote:

The one thing that seems to not be working currently is poly aftertouch, even though the midi implementation says it recognizes it, and pressure shows up as both "mono" and "poly" mod sources in the matrix.
Good to know, thanks! That's the one quality of life thing I'm not willing to give up vs software, hence why I never jumped on a Boog or Bro-1.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Our instruments only respond to Poly Aftertouch sent per note, not per channel.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbmd ➡️
Isn't that what poly aftertouch *is*?

In my testing, using a Microfreak as a controller, my Take 5 didn't respond to poly AT at all... I would play a note and add pressure on that note and no pressure modulation happened (it should have opened the cutoff in my patch). When I did the same test using the Microfreak controlling my OB-6 module, that did respond to Poly AT as expected, and I could articulate pressure per note, so it's not the Microfreak's issue.

The same Take 5 patch that didn't respond to per-note poly AT messages responded to channel AT fine (using cutoff or other poly destinations).

Last edited by kpatz; 1 week ago at 10:29 PM..
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Isn't that what poly aftertouch *is*?

In my testing, using a Microfreak as a controller, my Take 5 didn't respond to poly AT at all... I would play a note and add pressure on that note and no pressure modulation happened (it should have opened the cutoff in my patch). When I did the same test using the Microfreak controlling my OB-6 module, that did respond to Poly AT as expected, and I could articulate pressure per note, so it's not the Microfreak's issue.

The same Take 5 patch that didn't respond to per-note poly AT messages responded to channel AT fine (using cutoff or other poly destinations).
iirc there are 2 different variants of PolyAT. But your test with the OB-6 then kind of contradicts the theory that you have chosen the wrong one (or that the MicroFreak DOES the wrong one).

edit: do you have the OB-6 set to MPE? Because (again iirc, you should probably google that) the MPE PolyAT way is the "per channel" way, so the "wrong" one.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Microfreak does "traditional" poly AT (one channel, poly AT messages per note), not MPE. MPE is not enabled on my OB-6 either.

I also tested using Cubase, sequencing a chord and then "drawing" in poly AT automation on one of the notes of the chord. The OB-6 responded to the PAT but the Take 5 didn't.

MPE isn't poly AT at all, it's a way of using separate channels per note so you can get separate CCs, aftertouch and pitch bend per note. It's a completely different animal.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Can you show a video demoing this?

thanks
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
Quote:
well... I use to play my keyboards using a Roland A50, A80 and a Gem S3 as masters in my recording studio.

Using the same configuration, same settings, the Take5 does not respond to the PolyAT as transmitted by them, Alesis Andromeda A6, Korg Kronos, Modwave, Summit and Polybrute - and several plug-ins as well - do it, instead.

I'm going to prepare a video about that to send to your support. Please do not hesitate to contact me if it can be useful.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Microfreak does "traditional" poly AT (one channel, poly AT messages per note), not MPE. MPE is not enabled on my OB-6 either.

I also tested using Cubase, sequencing a chord and then "drawing" in poly AT automation on one of the notes of the chord. The OB-6 responded to the PAT but the Take 5 didn't.

MPE isn't poly AT at all, it's a way of using separate channels per note so you can get separate CCs, aftertouch and pitch bend per note. It's a completely different animal.
i know that MPE is a different thing :-) , but you can reach the same goals with it (for example modulating cutoff per note pressure which is very similar to PolyAT, and cbmd introduced the "per channel", which would make it MPE, wouldn't it?). Just wanted to help :-)

But then it has to be the take 5
Old 6 days ago
Gear Maniac

🎧 10 years
If your want to organize your presets you can do that with the web app F0F7 - LASER Mammoth.
It's been working for other synths for a while, but now supports the Take 5.
You can sort, your presets, delete or rename them, build entire sound banks.
It will work with Google Chrome or any other web browser that support WEB MIDI API.
Free to use with just a limitation on the online storage size if you want to use that feature.
https://f0f7.net/fe/#/SysexLibrarian/SequentialTake5
Old 1 day ago
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hey @ cbmd I think I found a bug with legato glide in the Take 5.

Start with a lead sound in unison mode. EDIT: Also, turn on Unison Env Retrig in the program menu. The bug doesn't occur with env retrig turned off.

Turn on glide, and turn it up high enough to hear it. Set glide to a non legato mode (Fixed Time or Fixed Rate). Hold one note and trill another. You'll hear it glide between both notes, as you would expect.

Now set the glide to a legato mode (Fixed Time A or Fixed Rate A). Once again, hold one note and trill another. When you press the 2nd note, it will glide from the 1st to the 2nd. When you release the 2nd (still holding the 1st), it doesn't glide back to the first note, it jumps instead.

I tried the same thing on my OB-6 (to rule out it being a "Sequential feature") and it works fine on that. Trilling glides as expected in both legato and non-legato modes, with or without retrigger turned on.
Old 1 day ago | Show parent
Here for the gear

Couple of thoughts on using Take5 on stage (vs Rev2).

I use Mac as my main soundsource on gigs but I love to have an analog synth for having fun and doing more spontaneous stuff. So a knobby, good sounding but fairly simple synth is what I'm after. I've used Prophet Rev2 but now bought Take5 to replace it (on some projects at least). Here's why:

- The main selling point for me were the designated reverb and overdrive. It's great to be able to color the sound quickly while soloing. And I can use mod fx without losing reverb! Reverb and delays are way better than the ones on Rev2. OD works ok on some (lead) sounds but can also ruin everything...

- Leads! A lot easier to create lead sounds I actually wanna play vs Rev2. Should be better for basses as well.

- OSC pitch octave knobs. A must on stage!

- The size, filter (not losing low end when dialing up res is great), preset buttons close to keys and finally: just a simpler instrument to handle while still having a comprehensive mod section. The latter is important as I like to program lot of different stuff to aftertouch and wheel.

So far I've been impressed! Of course I have less keys and voices than with Rev2 but it remains to be seen if those are gonna be an issue with my playing style.
📝 Reply