Sequential Take 5 - Page 53 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Take 5
Old 1 week ago | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by kpatz ➡️
Very nice. The first one sounds very "Prophety". The other two sound great too. Did you use the Take 5's reverb or external?

Someone needs to try sending PolyAT to the Take 5 to see what happens.
There's no FX for the first Patch and the others are just using the internal FX
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by magikroom ➡️
Here's a few of my Test Patches that I always do - Vintage Poly, Bladerunner and FM Pad -

Sounds great man, thanks for those!
Quote:
Here's a few of my Test Patches that I always do - Vintage Poly, Bladerunner and FM Pad -

Thank you for posting the test patches of the Take 5, they are very interesting. Good job! The Take 5 test sounds very good. By the way, I have your patches for the Prologue 16 and they are amazing.

Interestingly, the Vintage Poly and the Bladerunner patches in your Take 5 audio test reminded me to the ones of your Elements Vol 1 patches for Repro 5 demo YouTube video, in my opinion.

The names of the similar Repro 5 patches in your demo video would be Prophet 111 GEO and Bladerunner GEO (they are first and the third examples in the video demo, respectively). The last FM Pad could be also similar to a Repro 5 patch named Alderan GEO (9th in the same video).

As a note in order to compare sounds, the YouTube Repro 5 video volume is lower than the Soundcloud audio test of the Take 5 (at least for the mentioned patches).

The patches are not exact copies, of course, but they are interesting examples to compare the sound of the Take 5 with Repro 5, at least in my opinion.

I supose that your Take 5 test patches are not programmed to sound the same as the Repro 5 demo patches, and like both synths (the Take 5 and Repro 5). But the Take 5 and Repro 5, in expert hands, can sound really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2VwYDesUc

Lastly, in your opinion, how would the sound and features of the Take 5 compare to Repro 5 and the OB-6?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam Marks ➡️
Thank you for posting the test patches of the Take 5, they are very interesting. Good job! The Take 5 test sounds very good. By the way, I have your patches for the Prologue 16 and they are amazing.

Interestingly, the Vintage Poly and the Bladerunner patches in your Take 5 audio test reminded me to the ones of your Elements Vol 1 patches for Repro 5 demo YouTube video, in my opinion.

The names of the similar Repro 5 patches in your demo video would be Prophet 111 GEO and Bladerunner GEO (they are first and the third examples in the video demo, respectively). The last FM Pad could be also similar to a Repro 5 patch named Alderan GEO (9th in the same video).

As a note in order to compare sounds, the YouTube Repro 5 video volume is lower than the Soundcloud audio test of the Take 5 (at least for the mentioned patches).

The patches are not exact copies, of course, but they are interesting examples to compare the sound of the Take 5 with Repro 5, at least in my opinion.

I supose that your Take 5 test patches are not programmed to sound the same as the Repro 5 demo patches, and like both synths (the Take 5 and Repro 5). But the Take 5 and Repro 5, in expert hands, can sound really great.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gt2VwYDesUc

Lastly, in your opinion, how would the sound and features of the Take 5 compare to Repro 5 and the OB-6?
The 1st and 2nd Patch are ones I do all the time on every Synth I get, it's a good test to see how 2 Saws work against each other, especially the Bladerunner Sound. The 3rd Patch is original and consists of FM for the Frequency and the for the Filter and Oscillator Sync.

I'm not comparing the Take 5 against anything, just exploring it at the moment, I don't do comparisons videos, not my kind of thing.
Gear Nut
Quote:

dope

we need the comparison videos!
Quote:
The 1st and 2nd Patch are ones I do all the time on every Synth I get, it's a good test to see how 2 Saws work against each other, especially the Bladerunner Sound. The 3rd Patch is original and consists of FM for the Frequency and the for the Filter and Oscillator Sync.

I'm not comparing the Take 5 against anything, just exploring it at the moment, I don't do comparisons videos, not my kind of thing.
Thank you for your reply and for your explanation, and also for posting the demo of your first patch tests with the instrument. They are very good to assess the sound of the Take 5.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Here's a few more I've just made - A StringPad with a subdued and mid range Fizz, which also has a controllable Wah Effext. A Bass with a lot of Power and then some FM Goodness. Finally a Bell like tone which is quite delicate with a modulated effect. (Soundcloud is destroying the top end a bit)

Lives for gear

Quote:
Here's a few more I've just made - A StringPad with a subdued and mid range Fizz, which also has a controllable Wah Effext. A Bass with a lot of Power and then some FM Goodness. Finally a Bell like tone which is quite delicate with a modulated effect. (Soundcloud is destroying the top end a bit)

Any chance you could enable lossless downloads for these? thanks
Lives for gear

My T5 just got dispatched and should arrive on Thursday

Where is that MIDI implementation chart?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

As usual, @magikroom; making me want to buy another synth with awesome patches.
Gear Head

🎧 5 years
I'm eagerly awaiting T5 soundbanks to be available from inhalt and geosynths....love their offerings for my other synths!
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
I've just set up a new keyboard stand, with Take 5 and Moog Grandmother on the top, and Prophet-10 on the bottom. I've been playing all 3 today. A few thoughts:

- Pretty much any sound that I LIKE on the Prophet-10, I can get on the Take 5.

- It definitely takes longer to dial in a sound on the Take 5 versus the Prophet-10. The big GUI of the Prophet-10 is much easier to navigate.

- Dialing in the Grandmother sound on the Take 5 is much harder. It seems like the key is to keep the filter drive fairly for higher resonance sounds, and lower for low resonance sounds, to simulate the overdrive in the Grandmother Mixer. Next, put the Take 5 in Unison mode, and then turn up the Take 5 Overdrive to around 11 o'clock or so. Apparently a lot of the Grandmother sound is in the nonlinearity of that 902 VCA.

- It is hard to get the Take 5 to sound like the Grandmother once the resonance is turned up. The Grandmother filter loses most of its bottom end when the resonance is increased, and the Take 5 doesn't, so the Take 5 will sound louder.

For me, it is super quick to dial in a sound I like on the Grandmother and Prophet-10. They each have their own sound, without much overlap. The Take 5 leans closer to the Prophet-10, but can get closer to that big Moog sound with some programming.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
@ seancostello
You can stop now. I ordered one
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Really getting into the Take 5 now. Here's 10 more Patches I've made.

Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:

I just clicked play, and that 1st pad sold me. Well, I was already sold. As soon as I get back from my trip, if circumstances don't lead to "selling everything and moving back", I'll be ordering a Take 5.

Edit: On that pad toward the end with the phaser modulation (2nd to last patch), how did you get it sounding a bit like a highpass filter? Effects section?
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Those are some great patches there.
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by seancostello ➡️
Apparently a lot of the Grandmother sound is in the nonlinearity of that 902 VCA.

- It is hard to get the Take 5 to sound like the Grandmother once the resonance is turned up. The Grandmother filter loses most of its bottom end when the resonance is increased, and the Take 5 doesn't, so the Take 5 will sound louder.
That, and the design difference of the Moog ladder filter vs SSI 4-pole makes them sound different especially when dynamically shaping resonance.

I cannot even make a Doepfer A-120 ladder filter sound like a Moog ladder.

The Grandmother also has a -6dB/oct HPF available.
Not sure if the Take5 has something similar. The SSI chip is quite versatile, and can be used in many other ways other than a classic -24dB/oct LPF.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S ➡️
The Grandmother also has a -6dB/oct HPF available.
Not sure if the Take5 has something similar. The SSI chip is quite versatile, and can be used in many other ways other than a classic -24dB/oct LPF.
The only HPF in the Take5 that I'm aware of is in the digital effects section. The SSI filters in the Take 5 are configured solely as 24db LPF.
Quote:

Sweeeet! Everything I'm hearing from the Take 5 is exactly what I want from "analogue" and which I don't hear in the Rev 2, Minilogue/Prologue, maybe even Polybrute...
Here for the gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
I've just set up a new keyboard stand, with Take 5 and Moog Grandmother on the top, and Prophet-10 on the bottom. I've been playing all 3 today. A few thoughts:

- Pretty much any sound that I LIKE on the Prophet-10, I can get on the Take 5.

- It definitely takes longer to dial in a sound on the Take 5 versus the Prophet-10. The big GUI of the Prophet-10 is much easier to navigate.

- Dialing in the Grandmother sound on the Take 5 is much harder. It seems like the key is to keep the filter drive fairly for higher resonance sounds, and lower for low resonance sounds, to simulate the overdrive in the Grandmother Mixer. Next, put the Take 5 in Unison mode, and then turn up the Take 5 Overdrive to around 11 o'clock or so. Apparently a lot of the Grandmother sound is in the nonlinearity of that 902 VCA.

For me, it is super quick to dial in a sound I like on the Grandmother and Prophet-10. They each have their own sound, without much overlap. The Take 5 leans closer to the Prophet-10, but can get closer to that big Moog sound with some programming.
Do you also happen to have a Prophet 6?

I'm really curious to know how the T5 sound would compare to it.

Something about the P6 sound just draws my attention but I'm finding it hard to pass on the sound design possibilities of the T5.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by SupremeFist ➡️
Sweeeet! Everything I'm hearing from the Take 5 is exactly what I want from "analogue" and which I don't hear in the Rev 2, Minilogue/Prologue, maybe even Polybrute...
Sequential may have cracked the 'vintage' algorithm and we are probably now at a stage where there's only audiophile differences between vintage and modern analogue synths if other companies use similar techniques.

I love the PB, but perhaps some tweaking of the firmware could be used there to create a slightly more vintage character (without resorting to the mod matrix). Optional, of course.
Quote:
Originally Posted by kurzweil ➡️
Sequential may have cracked the 'vintage' algorithm and we are probably now at a stage where there's only audiophile differences between vintage and modern analogue synths if other companies use similar techniques.

I love the PB, but perhaps some tweaking of the firmware could be used there to create a slightly more vintage character (without resorting to the mod matrix). Optional, of course.
That's useful to hear, thanks! I still lust after the Polybrute for all those sweet controls (3 sets of env sliders, yes please), and to be fair it does sound amazing in some of the demos out there, but the T5 at half the price and only one less voice is sorely tempting.... Really need Starsky Carr to do a comparison.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kraft ➡️
Do you also happen to have a Prophet 6?

I'm really curious to know how the T5 sound would compare to it.

Something about the P6 sound just draws my attention but I'm finding it hard to pass on the sound design possibilities of the T5.
I do have a Prophet-6. It currently sits on a shelf, where it has been for several months. After I got the Prophet-10, I found that all the sounds I was trying to get out of the Prophet-6, the Prophet-10 exceeded at.

I would A/B between the Prophet-6 and Prophet-10, and found that the Prophet-10 could nail all the Prophet-6 patches that I had created and liked, barring those that used Prophet-6 features like synced LFOs and the nice chorus and phaser effects. The reverse wasn't true: I would dial up a "classic" Prophet patch on the Prophet-10, and couldn't get the Prophet-6 to sound as good with the same patch.

Meanwhile, I have had great success replicating Prophet-10 patches on my Take 5 (or T5, which honestly is a better name, so I might start using that). And the T5 has the syncable LFO of the Prophet-6, as well as the nice chorus/phaser/flanger of the Prophet-6. It also has a second per-voice LFO, as well as a good sounding reverb.

If you are into audio rate FM of the VCO, the T5 won't be as good as the Prophet-6 or Prophet-10. And both the Prophet-6 and Prophet-10 have better control over PWM. So, there's no one answer over what synth is "the best." The Prophet-10 is definitely the most FUN to use, due to everything being laid out on the giant front panel and the 5 octave keyboard.

It is worth noting that the Prophet-6 probably does the best job of sounding like a Prophet-6. I have seen a ton of bands using the Prophet-6 live, and it has become a modern classic. Thom Yorke gets a lot of mileage out of the Prophet-6 both with Radiohead and his solo work, and Damon Albarn played a Prophet-6 on stage with Gorillaz.
Gear Nut

🎧 10 years
Lives for gear

Quote:
I would A/B between the Prophet-6 and Prophet-10, and found that the Prophet-10 could nail all the Prophet-6 patches that I had created and liked, barring those that used Prophet-6 features like synced LFOs and the nice chorus and phaser effects. The reverse wasn't true: I would dial up a "classic" Prophet patch on the Prophet-10, and couldn't get the Prophet-6 to sound as good with the same patch.
I’ve wondered what it is that makes the difference between the P6 and P5. To me the P6 always sounded too clean and nice. The P5 sounds more organic and textured to me (going by demos here). I think what I miss in the sound of the P6 is saturation either in the filter or VCA, or both.

When you say that you can get closer to the sound of the P5 with the T5, do you feel that the filter drive on the T5 helps with this?
Lives for gear

Getting a UA Golden Reverberator pedal tomorrow around the same time as my T5 arrives. Reckon T5, Golden and ZenDelay is going to be a pretty mouthwatering combo
Lives for gear

Quote:
It is worth noting that the Prophet-6 probably does the best job of sounding like a Prophet-6. I have seen a ton of bands using the Prophet-6 live, and it has become a modern classic. Thom Yorke gets a lot of mileage out of the Prophet-6 both with Radiohead and his solo work, and Damon Albarn played a Prophet-6 on stage with Gorillaz.
I believe they preferred taking the Prophet-6 to a tour and using it live instead of the old Prophet-5s they could use in studio.

Maybe, with the rev4, we will see more Prophet-5s and Prophet-10s being used live.
Old 1 week ago
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
BTW I am slightly disgusted at no one here saying anything about people uploading synth audio demos at an external site in 128kbps mp3 when we can attach whatever bitrate AAC here on the forum.
ValhallaDSP

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by unease ➡️
I’ve wondered what it is that makes the difference between the P6 and P5. To me the P6 always sounded too clean and nice. The P5 sounds more organic and textured to me (going by demos here). I think what I miss in the sound of the P6 is saturation either in the filter or VCA, or both.

When you say that you can get closer to the sound of the P5 with the T5, do you feel that the filter drive on the T5 helps with this?
I wish I could qualify exactly what the difference between the P6, P5/10 and T5 sound is. For lack of a better word, the P5/10 and T5 filters sound expensive.

I love the roar of a Moog filter, and the SSI 2140 filters don't get that sound. Instead, they sound silky. Classy. They sound like the Prophet-5 looks.

Honestly, I tend to turn the filter drive on the T5 all the way down when emulating my Prophet-10 patches. For Roland sounding filters, I have to turn the mixer levels to about noon or so. The Prophet-10 doesn't get a ton of filter drive, and I think that is part of the sound.

Turning up the filter drive on the T5 doesn't get much of that Moog "roar" It creates more beating between the VCOs, but it also really drowns out the resonance. It can be a cool sound, but I tend to have it set fairly low.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
I wish I could qualify exactly what the difference between the P6, P5/10 and T5 sound is. For lack of a better word, the P5/10 and T5 filters sound expensive.
They sound like SSM/SSI filters. I guess since Prophet 5/10s are expensive, that makes that filter sound expensive. They do sound great. Ohh... maybe the word you meant to use is "Prophety?" "Prophetable?"

Quote:
Turning up the filter drive on the T5 doesn't get much of that Moog "roar" It creates more beating between the VCOs, but it also really drowns out the resonance. It can be a cool sound, but I tend to have it set fairly low.
I think the Moog sound stems from overdrive or coloration in various stages--osc mixer, filter, VCA. I think I read one time that the Minimoog filter had a design error that leads to it being overdriven, but they leave that error in because it gives it that characteristic sound that is so great. Any filter that doesn't include that "flaw" won't sound like a Moog.

But if every synth sounded like a Moog, life would be boring, so I'm glad the Take 5 sounds like something else... something I don't currently have. That "Prophety" sound. I have a Sirin for the "Moogy" sound which it delivers in fat, monophonic spades.
📝 Reply