Sequential Take 5 - Page 51 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Take 5
Old 9th September 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevegasnerve ➡️
let’s hear some more sounds from the new owners!
Indeed! There seems to be a shortage of videos of people really playing this beast! No doubt having too much fun to post online!

Really looking forward to digging into this when it hits our shores down under - could well be just what the doctor ordered!
Here for the gear

Got email yesterday: “shipped”!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Because it is a sane thing to do to check if what you already have can make similar quality sounds, before you spend any amount of money on new gear.
reported
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synthpark ➡️
I can only say that Repro sounds a bit tame in comparison.
Even if it is so - there is a world of plugins that can take care of that problem.

Quote:
Also you have to look for differences, you have to stress your synth by doing heavy modulation, turn up resonance, play either very high or very low before making any judgement, test fast envelopes and so on.
Exactly.
Buy the synth if it does what the other can't and you need that.

Quote:
Comparing some lame sounds will show you nothing.
Wait, weren't the sounds on the T5 side factory presets ? (maybe i am mistaken here, few days passed since i saw that post)
Anyway, i wouldn't call them lame, more like "bread and butter" actually useful for song production.
We all like epic sounds, but you can't fit too much epicness in a real song or it will become tiring to listen to.
Lives for gear

2 Reviews written
🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutantt ➡️
Wait, weren't the sounds on the T5 side factory presets ? (maybe i am mistaken here, few days passed since i saw that post
Nothing wrong with the T5 factory presets .
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockmanrock ➡️
they can't really call it a fully analogue poly synth.
Quote:
Nothing like that in the video though. A slip up?
Please save the "gotcha" spottings for Youtube clickbait.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jason moyer ➡️
No Pro 3 module either.
This'll sell enough copies to give an interest, though!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotecho ➡️
You forgot the 10 pages we spent discussing whether the name was any good.

This train has derailed, rolled down a hill, burst into flames and the charred remains have been swallowed by an enormous sink hole.
I knew I was forgetting something!
Lives for gear

I'm sure it'll pick up some new pace once peeps get their hands on these. How long has this synth been out again?
Old 9th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
As long as you keep the squirrels feed, all will be OK
Old 10th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBern ➡️
As long as you keep the squirrels feed, all will be OK
Anyone selling a kazoo bank for this yet?
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I had written approx a week ago asking about ETA in Canada (Toronto area)

Just got an email saying my order is in! I'll pick it up tomorrow after work, and hopefully find time this weekend to play it and give my impressions. (I work this weekend as well, so it might have to be in a few days. Ugh!)

At moments like this I wish I was retired ...lol

(Just recently sold my Rev2 so I'm hoping this will excite my senses like the Pro3 does. For some reason the Rev2 left me feeling a bit cold?)
Old 10th September 2021
Here for the gear

Four Take 5 available in a store in Finland! Really close getting one, but must wait to next week and what poly Dreadbox is releasing.
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by murskaborje ➡️
Four Take 5 available in a store in Finland! Really close getting one, but must wait to next week and what poly Dreadbox is releasing.
IKR, between this, a tiny little poly and a new Abyss on the horizon... So many weeping wallets >_>
Gear Head

I've had mine since mid-afternoon, and spent a couple of hours lost in patches (and swapping effects round for fun, love TAPE2 and the Chorus). Great keybed, great build quality, still figuring out most of it.

Love it!
Old 10th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Versatility and quality of sound in equal measure for a great price. Playability. Great work!
Old 11th September 2021 | Show parent
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToyBox ➡️
"There are corners you cut [...]" Not the best words to start with

Obviously Pym means that there are corners a synth manufacturer could cut that would affect sound quality, but Sequential DID NOT do that with the Take 5.
I know you know that, but I just wanted to reply so that no one else looks at that snippet and takes that sentence/quote out of context.
Gear Nut

🎧 5 years
I thought I'd just write a brief message regarding my first impressions with the Take 5. I unboxed it and played about 20 or so of the factory presets for an hour.

It has the same sonic vibe and feel to me that the Pro 3 does - warm, chewy, versatile, and very musical. I'm looking forward to exploring more of the presets, but as I was playing this evening I would get caught up in one patch and start messing around with it. A real testament to the programmer's skills!

The effects sound very good to me, and I love the reverb. I don't recall the Pro3 reverb sounding this good, but I will have to turn it on again to compare.

Build wise feels very, very similar to the Pro3. A beautiful feeling keyboard.

Knobs are not as stiff to turn as the Pro 3's were, which is welcoming...also, mine did not pop loudly when you turn it on. Nice

I really am happy with this purchase so far. It has a very warm, round, and full tone to it - very pleasing to my ears and likely anyone else who might be into classic or legendary analog synthesizers.

In comparison, I found the Minilogue thin and anemic sounding and the Rev2 cool, grainy, or brittle feeling. This synth sounds and feels to me to be in a different class.

I'm very pleased with this purchase, and I feel it's exceptional value for the sound and money. I won't hesitate to recommend it.
Pym
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Appreciate that! I'm not a marketing guy, I just love what we're making!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squeegee 303 ➡️
Obviously Pym means that there are corners a synth manufacturer could cut that would affect sound quality, but Sequential DID NOT do that with the Take 5.
I know you know that, but I just wanted to reply so that no one else looks at that snippet and takes that sentence/quote out of context.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by iluvchiclets ➡️
Knobs are not as stiff to turn as the Pro 3's were, which is welcoming...also, mine did not pop loudly when you turn it on. Nice
After you break in the pro3 knobs they will feel the same. Turn each pro3 knob back and forth for about 30 seconds to break it in.
Old 11th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I believe that the JD-Xi has a similar implementation for its analog section: an analog oscillator and filter but a digital amplifier and FX. I kind of liked how that worked because the triangle was closer to same perceived loudness as the pulse and sawtooth waveforms despite having less harmonics, not sure if the sine waveform on the T5 is similar or not. The overdrive is digital so you actually get 3 simultaneous effects, the overdrive, the delay/modulation, and then the reverb which is pretty cool.
I'm going to break the F5 key reloading my damn SW wishlist until it says "in stock".
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pym ➡️
Appreciate that! I'm not a marketing guy, I just love what we're making!
I'd rather have you and CBMD repping Sequential on here than some marketing twerp.
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Discopotato ➡️
I believe that the JD-Xi has a similar implementation for its analog section: an analog oscillator and filter but a digital amplifier and FX. I kind of liked how that worked because the triangle was closer to same perceived loudness as the pulse and sawtooth waveforms despite having less harmonics, not sure if the sine waveform on the T5 is similar or not. The overdrive is digital so you actually get 3 simultaneous effects, the overdrive, the delay/modulation, and then the reverb which is pretty cool.
This diagram in the manual suggests to me it's an analogue amp. Would need to check the service manual to really know for sure though.

Sequential Take 5-jd-xi.jpg
Attached Thumbnails
Sequential Take 5-jd-xi.jpg  
Gear Head

Service manual? For a modern synth? Do they publish service manuals any more?

I was really impressed with the factory presets on Take 5. They are some very usable sounds, not some epic preset sequenced arpeggiators for listening pleasure that can barely be used in any music. I wish more synth manufacturers did good bread and butter factory sets that put the synth on the musical landscape. That used to be more common back in the day.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrismSynthesis ➡️
Service manual? For a modern synth? Do they publish service manuals any more?
Some do, but they're impossible to find online.
Gear Head

Quote:
This diagram in the manual suggests to me it's an analogue amp. Would need to check the service manual to really know for sure though.

The JD-Xi manual says several times:

“In the Analog Synth part, the oscillator, sub-oscillator, and filter sections consist of analog circuits”.

It makes sense to assume the signal from LPF is going through an ADC before getting to a digital AMP section, identical for all synth parts.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan S ➡️
The JD-Xi manual says several times:

“In the Analog Synth part, the oscillator, sub-oscillator, and filter sections consist of analog circuits”.

It makes sense to assume the signal from LPF is going through an ADC before getting to a digital AMP section, identical for all synth parts.
Roland mentioned in a Japanese interview that JD-Xi's amp was digital, here's an auto translation:
-—What are the specifications for the analog synth part?

Ishii:
The monophonic synthesizer consists of an oscillator and a sub oscillator. The oscillator waveform can be a saw wave, a triangle wave, or a rectangular wave, and the pulse width can be set for the rectangular wave. The filter is low-pass, and the point is that "JD-Xi" adopts a transistor ladder type. It is a so-called Minimoog type filter. Some people may wonder why Roland is a transistor ladder, but when you think about the way monophonic synths are used, I think the bass will increase. The base is easy to use with a transistor ladder filter, and we chose the practicality of the filter without sticking to the past.

The analog synthesizer section of the JD-Xi has a hybrid analog/digital circuit configuration, and other than the oscillator, sub-oscillator, and filter, for example, amplifiers and effectors are processed digitally. However, if you look at the analog part as a single synth, you can enjoy making sounds well because there are a variety of parameters on the menu.
From https://icon.jp/archives/9758
Old 11th September 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
I stand corrected then! Looks like Roland beat Sequential to it? I wonder if the JD-XA does it too?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Nay, JD-XA has a full analog path with an optional dry analog mono output (no effects or panning etc) if you want to avoid any digital conversion.
📝 Reply