Quantcast
Sequential Take 5 - Page 3 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Take 5
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
If they have an FX block dedicated to reverb, I really hope they make it usable. I've spent time playing with the reverb settings on my Rev2 and never came away as anything but disappointed.

The synth looks cool, but I imagine a lot of people who wanted a poly Pro 3 are going to bemoan the lack of wavetable oscillator.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
They won’t, because it would cannibalise P5r4 sales, but all they really need to to do is release a tweaked P6 in a P5 chassis for £2k. Job done.
Old 20th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Regarding cross modulation -- I'm guessing it will be available through the Mod Matrix. We haven't seen any matrix specs yet (sources, destinations), but probably ability to route Osc1/Osc2/Noise to frequency of Osc1/Osc2... like the Pro3 matrix offers... assuming they're using the same or similar VCOs.

From a sound engine standpoint, this really appears to be a Prophet 5 for the 2020s. P5t5?

Comparison with Pro 3, Prophet 5r4 and Prophet 6:
https://www.presetpatch.com/articles...3-and-Prophets
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by creativespiral ➡️
. P5t5?
Funnily enough, I had that very thought when the trademark first became public and I even said as much, but dismissed it, thinking that it was too soon for them to make a fifth iteration of the Prophet. A P5 with effects, mod matrix and better preset implementation - very little not to like. (Had it had 6+ voices and 61 keys, I’d have been all over this( though, as is, it’s still tempting as a thing to hook up to and sit atop my Kawai MP11SE.) Shame the Pro 3 didn’t have this size keybed.
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Addict

It looks like the noise mixer has two things written on it. Wonder if it’s white noise on one side and pink on the other, with noon being 0.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quatschmacher ➡️
Funnily enough, I had that very thought when the trademark first became public and I even said as much, but dismissed it, thinking that it was too soon for them to make a fifth iteration of the Prophet. A P5 with effects, mod matrix and better preset implementation - very little not to like. (Had it had 6+ voices and 61 keys, I’d have been all over this( though, as is, it’s still tempting as a thing to hook up to and sit atop my Kawai MP11SE.) Shame the Pro 3 didn’t have this size keybed.
My thoughts exactly.
Quote:
Regarding cross modulation -- I'm guessing it will be available through the Mod Matrix. We haven't seen any matrix specs yet (sources, destinations), but probably ability to route Osc1/Osc2/Noise to frequency of Osc1/Osc2... like the Pro3 matrix offers... assuming they're using the same or similar VCOs.

From a sound engine standpoint, this really appears to be a Prophet 5 for the 2020s. P5t5?

Comparison with Pro 3, Prophet 5r4 and Prophet 6:
https://www.presetpatch.com/articles...3-and-Prophets
So based on limited info... the Take5 is what you get when you combine the the synth architecture of the P6 (minus 1 voice), but with far more modulation options like the Rev2, and the more modern workflow of a Pro3.

That doesn't sound at all bad. I bet it can do just about any patch a P5.4 or P6 can, with the exception of filter differences, but also a whole lot more, and at a lower price. As immediate as you want it to be, or as in-depth as you want to go. I hope that's the case anyway, not that I need anything else to GAS about.

There's probably still another polysynth coming that has wavetable oscillators but it'll probably be more of a flagship (to follow up the Prophet 12).
Gear Nut

Looks uhm basic ??

Ok didnt expect a non premium synth from sequential. But kind of fits in the market vco 5 voices for 1300 cant think of a synth to do this better right now at least till the new wave of Behringer polys are released.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Biggest questions:

1. What P5r4 Filter implementation is it? Curtis or SSM?

2. What are the Mod Matrix sources/destinations, and mod matrix slot size? This really will open up a huge amount of sound design territory, when compared with P5r4 or P6.

3. Will both round robin and per-key voice allocation be offered as options. If per-key is offered (like on P5r4), It will allow this synth to sound very much like vintage prophets and r4.

4. When will the 61-key version be announced? Pleeeease! I just can't deal with poly synths that don't have 5-octaves... it put me off purchasing P6 and OB6... finally did get a desktop version of P6, but to me, it just doesn't make sense to have these condensed keybed sizes for a poly synth... I wanna be able to play low bass roots/octaves and have harmonies/melodies several octaves higher, without running out of runway... The same reason I haven't bought any of the Korg Opsix, Modwave, Wavestate... and sold my XD. For the love of god, please make it a mantra to have 44-key minimum for monosynths, and 61-key for poly synths.
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Head

I'm happy they're doing a relatively affordable VCO poly synth with a PRO 3 style sequencer! I would definitely buy this. I also hope the mod matrix is as flexible as the PRO 3. I'm not super crazy about the apparent 128 user preset limit, and I didn't see tuned feedback which I would have liked to see, but overall I think it's a really interesting offering so far.
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Head

Also, I wonder if we'd get patch morphing on this.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by StefVR ➡️
Looks uhm basic ??
Yes I think that’s the point!
Lives for gear

Quote:
Biggest questions:

2. What are the Mod Matrix sources/destinations, and mod matrix slot size? This really will open up a huge amount of sound design territory, when compared with P5r4 or P6.

3. Will both round robin and per-key voice allocation be offered as options. If per-key is offered (like on P5r4), It will allow this synth to sound very much like vintage prophets and r4.

4. When will the 61-key version be announced? Pleeeease! I just can't deal with poly synths that don't have 5-octaves... it put me off purchasing P6 and OB6... finally did get a desktop version of P6, but to me, it just doesn't make sense to have these condensed keybed sizes for a poly synth... I wanna be able to play low bass roots/octaves and have harmonies/melodies several octaves higher, without running out of runway... The same reason I haven't bought any of the Korg Opsix, Modwave, Wavestate... and sold my XD. For the love of god, please make it a mantra to have 44-key minimum for monosynths, and 61-key for poly synths.
I would also like more keys. 37 I think is fine for a mono synth, but for a poly... 49 minimum, standard should be 61. If they gave patch morphing... then we are going somewhere though.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guyaguy ➡️
Yes I think that’s the point!
I wouldn't say it's sexy looking, but functional and to the point. Same with the Pro3. It doesn't make my spine tingle like looking at a Subsequent37 but it's supposed to be more about the sound and feel, right?

At least it doesn't make me queasy like a System-8....
Lives for gear

Quote:
Biggest questions:

Yeah I’m curious about the matrix spec. I’m guessing 16 slots but a lot fewer sources and destinations than the Rev2 and Pro-3.

I personally agree on the number of keys, but if you look at most bands rocking their keyboards on stage they aren’t using much more than an octave. So I think this board, with its simplicity in architecture and shorter keyboard, is aimed at the live player. It’s pretty much perfect for a New Order/Neon Indian/Radiohead/LCD Soundsystem band whose keys player needs to play one-handed leads, simple arps, or limited range chords and then throw it in the overhead cabin on a plane.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight ➡️
I wouldn't say it's sexy looking, but functional and to the point. Same with the Pro3. It doesn't make my spine tingle like looking at a Subsequent37 but it's supposed to be more about the sound and feel, right?

At least it doesn't make me queasy like a System-8....
Ah I thought @ StefVR meant the architecture not the aesthetic. I’m not a huge fan of the look of this or the Pro-3. It’s very 2000ish. Reminds me of Nords of that era. But it doesn’t put me off.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
Nice 'E' design. 5 Keys.

Gear Nut

The more I think about it the more I like it. Not for myself but it might turn a really great my first real analog ply synth option.
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Addict
44 keys is perfect for playing a single handed 5 voices with another synth in the other hand. Definitely a players board opposed to a hold slow chords and tweak knobs endlessly thing.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

Love it!
The perspective of a 5 voice poly in a small and light (but knobby) package, lighter than my Sub37, is great.
I could easily carry both along with my Nord Stage Compact…
Congrats to the Sequential team!
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
I still have the removed page open. Here is the complete spec:

Take 5 specificaties :

OSCILLATORS

Two analog VCOs per voice
Continuously variable wave shape (sine, sawtooth, variable-width pulse) per oscillator
Hard sync: oscillator 1 syncs to oscillator 2
Square wave sub-octave generator (oscillator 1) per voice
Keyboard tracking on/off for each oscillator
Front-panel FM (frequency modulation)
MIXER

Oscillator 1 amount
Oscillator 1 sub-octave amount
Oscillator 2 amount
White noise amount
LOW-PASS FILTER

Four-pole, resonant, analog low-pass filter per voice, based on Prophet 5 Rev 4 design
Filter can be driven into self-oscillation with the Resonance control
Bi-polar filter envelope amount
ENVELOPES

Two 5-stage envelope generators (ADSR + delay) with variable routing (filter, amplifier, gate)
Velocity modulation of each envelope amount
Envelopes freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
LOW FREQUENCY OSCILLATOR

Five wave shapes: triangle, sawtooth, reverse sawtooth, square, and random (sample and hold)
Clock sync (internal or external MIDI clock)
Freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
DIGITAL EFFECTS
One dedicated reverb with damping, pre-delay, decay and tone
One multi-effect with stereo delay, BBD delay, tape delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter
Dedicated Overdrive effect
VINTAGE KNOB
Recreates the characteristics of vintage synthesizers by introducing micro-fluctuations in oscillators, filter, and envelopes per voice.
AFTERTOUCH

Source: channel (mono) aftertouch with bi-polar amount
Aftertouch freely assignable to multiple modulation destinations
CLOCK

Master clock with tap tempo
BPM control and display
MIDI clock sync
ARPEGGIATOR

Up, down, up+down, random, assign modes
Syncs to MIDI clock
Re-latching arpeggiation
SEQUENCER

Polyphonic step sequencer with up to 64 steps with ties and rests
PERFORMANCE CONTROLS

Full-sized, semi-weighted, 3.5-octave premium Fatar keyboard with velocity and aftertouch
Spring-loaded pitch wheel with selectable range per program with independently adjustable upper and lower pitch wheel range transpose controls
Low-split mode creates two independent performance zones with different octave ranges
Hold switch latches held notes on
Polyphonic glide (portamento)
Unison (monophonic) mode with configurable voice count, from one to all five voices, and key modes
Factory switch: when off, the front panel is live; what you see is what you hear
PATCH MEMORY

128 user and 128 factory
IN/OUT

1 MIDI In, 1 MIDI Out, and 1 MIDI Thru port
USB port for bidirectional MIDI communication
1 Sustain/footswitch input
1 Expression pedal input
Main stereo output (2 x 1/4″ phone jack)
Headphone out (stereo 1/4″ phone jack)
POWER

IEC AC power inlet for internal power supply
Operates worldwide on voltages between 100 and 240 volts at 50 to 60 Hz; 14 watts maximum power consumption
PHYSICAL SPECS

Premium, 3.5-octave, semi-weighted Fatar keyboard
25″ L x 12.75″ W x 4.4″ H (63.5 cm x 32.4 cm x 11.2 cm)
Weight: 17 lbs (7.7 kg)
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Head

Is this the first Focusrite Sequential synth?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Framerate ➡️
Yes
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
This and the P5/10 rev 4 is a big middle finger to Uli. The Borg might as well give up on plans to release theirs in 2022 or 2023 or whatever.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 15 years
Take 5 has a similar design than the pro 3 but its seems to be more based on polysynth with 10 osc but maybe less of other features (?) to keep it at that price range. It def would have been nice to have the wavetable and stuff but it looks like itll be great.

Hope they make a desktop module as well.
And expand the preset banks.

the price is pretty sweet.

And i like the vintage and two drive knobs.

Im selling my prophet rev2 keyboard to switch to desktop version but i think this might be better and cool next to my sub37.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 10 years
Hmm. Interesting.

Not sure about the look of it in the pic, looks pretty plain, but then pictures often don't do a synth justice. The filter knob is nice and big, but that screen, what's with ant-sized screens on synths lately? I'm not getting any younger and my eyes don't do tiny print as well as they used to.

Do we know that it's 5 voices, or is that just assumed from the name? (edit, appears to be the case in the OP)

Not sure if this is closer to a Prophet 5 or a Pro 3. Like a P5r4 and a Pro 3 had an ugly duckling?

Everyone gripes about 4 octaves on the P6 and OB-6, so they release a poly with 3.5 octaves. Maybe there'll be a desktop version...

Interesting that they broke their trend of using "Prophet" as the name like with most of their other polys in recent years.

I wonder if "low split" mode means it's bi-timbral, or it just means you can shift the lower part of the keybed to a lower octave to play bass notes alongside leads/chords.

I guess it will boil down to how it sounds, and its full feature set. And the price. An inexpensive Sequential poly will certainly spur more sales anyway. And here I am in the market for an analog VCO poly....... I still prefer OB-6.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

I'll take 10 (2 desktops polychained).
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjontheroad ➡️
I'll take 10 (2 desktops polychained).
Ha! I was just having the same thought! I’m still waiting on the OB story.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudinthenight ➡️
I bet it can do just about any patch a P5.4 or P6 can,
It won’t be able to replicate those P5 patches that use simultaneous multiple wave shapes within a single oscillator, but looks like it’ll cover many other things.
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Framerate ➡️
Not really though as it was in the works before the takeover happened.
📝 Reply