Quantcast
Sequential Take 5 - Page 2 - Gearspace.com
The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Sequential Take 5
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It seems to be Prophet 6 oscillators and Prophet 5 rev4 filter.
Old 20th August 2021
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Bitimbral 5-octave Take 10 when
Old 20th August 2021 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

🎧 5 years
It has drive knob in the filter section. Nice! Wonder what the Prophet 5 drive is set to?

It has 2 effect units:

First Fx is stereo delay, BBD Delay, tape delay, chorus, flanger, phaser, ring mod, vintage rotating speaker, distortion, high-pass filter

Second Fx block is reverb only. Lets hope it is improved!

Love that it has proper built in power supply.

A prophet 5 with built-in effects?
Old 20th August 2021
Gear Addict

A bit off topic but what I can't understand is how Sequential can pump out mono and polysynths using CEM and SSI chips by the tens of thousands (including this unit) and Tom Oberheim's site currently reads that they won't be making any more TwoVoice synths "...due to parts shortages" (so please stop asking). I own a SEM Pro and I've seen the logic board. There is no powdered unicorn horn in there.
Deleted ff365b1
Super sweet synth but am i the only one who thinks this is a really drab design?
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ff365b1 ➡️
Super sweet synth but am i the only one who thinks this is a really drab design?
I agree, but then I think all their modern stuff has looked drab
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deleted ff365b1 ➡️
Yes, drab in a modern way. Not a fan of the knobs they use on this and the Pro3. I've fiddled with them and the molded rubber/plastic thing didn't look quality in person.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Just a splash of colour would help, to clearly indicate the different sections - it all kinda merges into a sea of knobs, for me
Deleted ff365b1
Somehow the standard Pro 3 still looks way better to me, maybe due to the nice tilt. I think they nerfed this design so it wouldn't compete with the higher end models.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZAPPP ➡️
The Prophet 5 is grossly overpriced.
Lives for gear

I like the idea behind this synth. I like the mod matrix and such with the P5rev4 Filter and Vintage knob. More keys would of been nice is all. We get a lot of smaller synths these days, but all in all, an actual good portable synth would be nice too. I didn't want to buy a Korg so I will consider this since I do not own a P5. I'm really happy they didn't go cheaper and get rid of after touch. A lot of companies pull that one which is a major disappointment. I would rather pay a couple extra bucks for the AT anyday. Very happy they added Overdrive.

I'm actually pretty happy about this. I've been spending a lot more time with my Pro3 and OB6. I really appreciate the OB for having a Modern sound these days and not only a vintage. Im really stoked to see what they do with the new OB. It almost feel like they were reading our messages and were like "Oh no... they want it to be a OB-XA too now, back to drawing board for another couple months" but also with where the world is at, the Take5 opens up the market a bit more.
Now if I could only hear how it actually sounds.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzcabbage ➡️
Meh. I've owned multiple vintage P5s and all were bought for $1k or less, and that's all they're actually worth.

This product shows that the Rev4 could have been the same price lol.
Lives for gear
Quote:
The Prophet 5 is grossly overpriced.
LOL, then you should see the price on Reverb just before the re-issue was revealed. At that price new, the P5 rev4 is an absolute bargain.

if you think the P5 is over priced, lets not even get started with the Roland Jupiter 8 at $25,000 on Reverb...
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
LOL, then you should see the price on Reverb just before the re-issue was revealed. At that price new, the P5 rev4 is an absolute bargain.

if you think the P5 is over priced, lets not even get started with the Roland Jupiter 8 at $25,000 on Reverb...
5 voices of saw/pulse through lpf isn't worth $4k after taxes. That's dumb as hell.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk ➡️
If the pricing is correct it is interesting to see this priced so far below the Pro3.
The Pro-3 has a lot going on that’s not on the Take Five—wavetable, User waves, 3 filters, CV, 3 LFOs, 4 EGs, 16 track sequencer, 32-slot mod matrix, etc. It’s very much geared toward fun mono tweaking vs simpler hands on playing.
Lives for gear

Quote:
5 voices of saw/pulse through lpf isn't worth $4k after taxes. That's dumb as hell.
When looking at the specs thats true. When listening to the sound its proven not.

If you want 20% better/textured sound, 61keys and vintage look than pay the extra bit for the P5R4. Otherwise there are many other synths out there which crazier specs and way worse sound. One giant sweet spot vs crazy amount of modulation and voices. *Shrugs
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeatWilson ➡️
When looking at the specs thats true. When listening to the sound its proven not.

If you want 20% better/textured sound, 61keys and vintage look than pay the extra bit for the P5R4. Otherwise there are many other synths out there which crazier specs and way worse sound. One giant sweet spot vs crazy amount of modulation and voices. *Shrugs
If it sounds like the Rev3 it's not either. Nor is my MKS-80 w/MPG-80...

The E-mu modular I sold a few years ago for $30k... lol hell no not worth the price. I do wish I would have held it for a few more years so an analog pokemon collector could have paid me double that but I think I would have told him how dumb he was while at the bank.
Lives for gear

Quote:
If it sounds like the Rev3 it's not either. Nor is my MKS-80 w/MPG-80...

The E-mu modular I sold a few years ago for $30k... lol hell no not worth the price. I do wish I would have held it for a few more years so an analog pokemon collector could have paid me double that but I think I would have told him how dumb he was while at the bank.
To each their own I guess. I dont buy Vintage synths anymore really. I just want these machines to make music is all.

To me the P5R4 is very high priced for what ya get. If I grew up loving the P5 and growing up from that era than maybe as a personal gift, I would consider it. For me though, I would pay extra for the 10Voice is I had to buy one, but I like the OB sound more. This Take5 does appeal to me as a synth I could take with me on the go. I like the idea of having more modulation in a P5. This synth is not Needed in my collection, but would be a very nice addition.

I just want to see what they do with the next OB they release. Also if they release a PolyPro3 I'm all in.

As for this synth... I can see a lot of people buying it. It seems like a great idea at a good time with all the chip shortages and people struggling.

Great Idea Sequential
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
I like it. It would be rad if it had a tilt up though.
Gear Addict

🎧 5 years
@ guyaguy - totally agree. This should not be compared with a Pro 3, other than the look. This is much more of a modern 2020 Prophet 5 in terms of sound engine.

I'm guessing, based on specs, with VCO oscillators, P5r4 filter and vintage knob, that this synth will be able to sound nearly identical to the Prophet 5r4. If the voice allocation includes a per-key allocation, that's the only thing I'm not sure about.

If one was to put this Take 5 side by side with a Prophet 5r4, you sacrifice the keybed, but gain a bunch of sound design options and depth. Put $3600 up against ~$1500? That's an interesting proposition.

I really wish this had 61-keys. I just don't get these condensed keybeds. This, to me, is a perfect keybed for a monosynth. Hoping they announce a 61-key version of this.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Quote:
Originally Posted by Station2station ➡️
A bit off topic but what I can't understand is how Sequential can pump out mono and polysynths using CEM and SSI chips by the tens of thousands (including this unit) and Tom Oberheim's site currently reads that they won't be making any more TwoVoice synths "...due to parts shortages" (so please stop asking). I own a SEM Pro and I've seen the logic board. There is no powdered unicorn horn in there.
They also don't say how many of the new ones were made, anywhere. I suspect Tom has no interest in making synths any more, but needed to set up an active shop again to keep a certain other company from the "Oberheim" trademark. I'd be surprised if the last batch of TVS-Pro synths consisted of even a dozen units.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
Not a fan of the design to be honest. Looks like a Behringer synth almost.
Here for the gear

If I recall, they said we were getting two synths from Sequential this year. I’m thinking this is part of the new Focusrite acquisition. In the sense that, you now have more affordable synths for the masses, while the higher end products will continue to be made.

A modern Prophet-5 for $1,300 or $1,500 is appealing for the lower end of the market. But an incredible idea would be to polychain these suckers. Boom, essentially a Prophet-10 for around the price of a P6/OB-6.
Old 20th August 2021
Here for the gear

They've made it cheap so you can still pay for your goddam OB-X *slams fist on the table*
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by plastic_ ➡️
Not a fan of the design to be honest. Looks like a Behringer synth almost.
Nothing wrong with how Behringer synths look. People claim they hated the look of the Polyevolver as well 10 years ago. Now it's already a classic.

Quote:
A synthesizer is more than a collection of specs. I can assure you the sound of the P5 is absolutely worth its price.
Gear Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by camus2 ➡️
A synthesizer is more than a collection of specs. I can assure you the sound of the P5 is absolutely worth its price.
I'd rather have this. Same filter and more powerful, a great compact addition to a main digital synth/sampler.
Lives for gear

🎧 5 years
You're supposed to wait until you hear it before you say which one you'd rather have.
Gear Head
Would have been cool to have done a version of the Prophet 5 and 10 without all the decorational wood adding to the panel dimensions, resembling a Prophet 6. I guess the price wouldn't have been low enough to attract more people had that been pursued. I guess I have time to clear out some debt for later this year for an OB-X.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ima_jrk ➡️
If the pricing is correct it is interesting to see this priced so far below the Pro3.
Hopefully this is a sign that Sequential will start paying more attention to the more affordable end of the spectrum. Something that's equivalent to the Prophet 5 (for all *practical* purposes anyway) but attainable and portable. It's not exactly the prophet 5, but with the Vintage Knob it's going to fit the old-school sound very well.

However, I do not see a Poly Mod section. Maybe it's implemented via the mod matrix? If there's no cross-modulation or noise modulation then I don't see the point.

*edit* - squinting harder at the blurry picture, there is an "FM 2->1" knob on the panel. I guess it's not known yet whether OSC2 can run in low frequency mode or whether noise can be a mod source.
Old 20th August 2021
Here for the gear

Hmm, has there been an early leak on any of the other Sequential/DSI releases before? I think I'm right in saying that the first we ever hear about a Dave synth is usually with a video. Their releases are usually watertight. The OG page posted here has 404'd.
📝 Reply